Bandai 1/60 DX Chogokin Macross Plus YF-21

Berkut

Bandai reading forums: Everyone complains the Yamato legs are too skinny. We must have fatter legs!
Bandai reading forums: Everyone says our fatter legs have ruined the sillouette of fighter mode. No!!!!!

I'm holding out hope that the handling experience on the DX YF-21 will be superb since there's no doubt we'll have plenty of visual aspects to nitpick. Hopefully it's not another Draken escapade. 

1 hour ago, Chronocidal said:

Edit: Yeah, I don't think it comes with more than one set of arms.  There are more pics in the model forum thread, and this lists the extra accessories.
FB_IMG_1695690513024.jpg.7e4ae317da552118a20ae5ee7ebc0172.jpg

Ok had a look at all the images, and yeah it is one set of arms after all. My bad.
The diagram really is nonsensical then, the arms should be out of the yellow highlighted area lol. 

8 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Honestly?  I would take that in a heartbeat.  For all the difficulties in handling it and transforming it, the Draken looks amazing.

Agreed, except that it can't fold the wings out anywhere near flat in GERWALK mode.

7 hours ago, MKT said:

Ok had a look at all the images, and yeah it is one set of arms after all. My bad.
The diagram really is nonsensical then, the arms should be out of the yellow highlighted area lol. 

Maybe the arms need to be removed and reattached for transformation? it doesn't look like there's anything allowing them to fold back for fighter mode so they might just get taken off and put somewhere else. I'm not sure why they'd still be in yellow for the fighter-GERWALK transformation, but maybe they just get in the way of something that needs to move.

10 hours ago, seti88 said:

Do we still want perfect transformation? 😅 

The model kit looks are spoiling whatever's left of the 21 DX mood. 🤪 

Plus the model kit can tilt to the left and right! And comes with delimitated mode!😆

word... is it some sort of notion we hold onto because it's status quo?  like we think diecast is always better...  for some detailing and such, i'd argue it's not.  for durability and load bearing... maybe yes.  so is perfect transformations always the best?  if we get one or 2 modes that's dope af, and the others are iffy?  

4 hours ago, orbitalharvest said:

word... is it some sort of notion we hold onto because it's status quo?  like we think diecast is always better...  for some detailing and such, i'd argue it's not.  for durability and load bearing... maybe yes.  so is perfect transformations always the best?  if we get one or 2 modes that's dope af, and the others are iffy?  

Perfect transformation is ideal for me because it’s awesome when a toy is engineered that well. That’s the attraction. When it’s perfect transformation it makes the animation that much more enjoyable because it adds a sense of reality to the animation. This is not an impossible mech to engineer. Yamato got really close. A few tweaks and it could satisfy everyone. Back in the day the VF-1 had a lot of anime magic as well with the original macross series. Yamato eventually got it close enough that we’re pretty satisfied but even this last version, the canopy and nose of the the toy are longer in battroid compared to most of the animation and line art. The YF-21 is totally do-able if the right people could work on it.   

I think the Gerwalk and Battroid on the partsformer model look pretty good.  Kind of telling they hide the back of the plane in a 3/4 shot everywhere except in the legless mode.  THat backend is going to be fat.  That being said the fighter body is still too wide and squat... just happens to work for the other two modes too.

The problem is that the 1/55 VF-1 set the bar so high that anything Macross is pretty much expected to meet or exceed it.  For years most transforming toys only looked good in one mode and only from the top.  Its hard to argue that the Zeta Gundam looked good in it's waverider mode.  Gobots....  Well...  You know....  Macross toys are expected to look good in pretty much every mode at any angle.  High bar? Absolutely.  Unreasonable?  Most likely.  :crazy:

Edited by DewPoint

I honestly cannot justify spending money on a version that looks like it stopped going to the gym after Macross Plus aired in the early 90s. The entire nose section of the 21 in Fighter does indeed look like the early Yamato 1/72, and the skinny arms on it look like they probably wouldn't hold up any fast pack armor on the tail fins, nor a gun. The back shoulder, where the cutaway is that protrudes upwards, also seems to be very line art inaccurate (although it could just be that it's all in one color). 

As of now, I'm not liking the way it looks, but I know a few people that are getting it, so when they, and you all get your versions, I'll decide from there if it's simply bad photography, or a bad design.

It's really kind of funny to me that I think the side profile is actually the least of this figure's issues.  It really doesn't look bad from that angle, but the proportions fall apart when you turn it, and see how far forward everything is, while the back end just keeps going for miles.

I'm glad to see this moving along.  Weather people like this design or not, there never was enough YF-21 love , compared to the YF-19. I know that's because  the YF-19 is like the second most popular VF. Nevertheless this is long overdue.

18 hours ago, Bolt said:

I know that's because  the YF-19 is like the second most popular VF. Nevertheless this is long overdue.

Yet, for me the deal breaker has always been that beige scheme with red strips. If it was any tone of grey, I'd be on board this boat. 

12 hours ago, ErikElvis said:

I’m down for using the Yamato for fighter and Bandai for battroid (if it’s good by my standards). Ideally it looks great both ways of course.  

I'm still going to get the DX YF-21. But I'll get 2 of the HG kits since it's more accurate for me. And put the big ones back in their boxes. :spiteful:
Though I have to display the kit further in the back of 1/60 YF-19 for a forced perspective look. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

I think 50% of us members did tune out as nothing new as been solicited since Bandai has been tossing out uninteresting Delta Live DX stuff. :bad:

Sure.... Down vote this post if you want guys as I was more interested in the Hot Toys 1/6 Artisan crapfest that was done since InArt stepped in and changed the game.     

"Latest development sample" probably just means that they have a final molded plastic production sample and not the painted prototype they've been trotting out. Extremely doubtful Bandai made any meaningful changes. This is the company that prints modex numbers backwards for spectacularly stupid reasons. 

Hopefully Bandai have made some tweaks to the YF-21 sculpt, do do what they can to improve the look, as much as is possible.

But realistically, a perfect transformation YF-21 toy that looks anime accurate in both Fighter and Battroid mode is an impossibility.  It's really a design that only can be made to look good in either Fighter mode or Battroid mode, but not both. Just the limitations on having to base the toy on mid-90s hand drawn art.

The pics of the upcoming YF-21 HG kit have really shown that the only way to get a good looking and anime accurate YF-21 in all 3 modes is through parts swapping.

But I'll still buy 1 or 2 of the DX YF-21😅