Bandai 1/60 DX Chogokin Macross Plus YF-21

Berkut

Bandai is like, “Dang, now we’re on the hook for more than a painted prototype.”

Put me in the group that’s looking forward to more development news. I had bad luck with the Yamato YF-21. My copy had brittle plastic and crumbled while on display, so I could use an affordable replacement.

1 hour ago, snakerbot said:

Yeah I think I'm here too. Especially given these thoughts:

I know I said way back when that I thought I was sold, but now I don't know. I honestly think I prefer the Yamato even in Battroid, just based on pictures. At this point about the only thing pushing me to get this is that I don't have a Yamato and they're so expensive now.

Seriously. The only thing good about this is the leg thickness and its placement in battroid mode. Everything else about it seems like a step or two backwards from the Yamato.

They had a really nice looking HMR prototype years back. I wish this looked more like that.

43 minutes ago, borgified said:

Your referring to this one @MacrossJunkie correct? 

YF-21-VF-HI-METAL_1266908466.jpg

It's actually a Hi-Metal prototype YF-21 from Feb 3, 2010 which was announced on Toyark by a former member here. 

Yeah that. Sorry, I actually don't really know what's the difference between Hi-Metal and Hi-Metal R. I don't really follow those lines so I'm rather ignorant about them.

To be fair, I don't know how much of that 21 proto was supposed to be a parts-former, so it's possible they could only achieve that look through swapping legs and other parts. 

The old D'stance garage kit/model also achieved very good proportions aside from the neck in fighter mode being too long. 

I'm disappointed that the Bandai version just looks bad in all modes, like they couldn't decide which mode to focus on and it was designed by committee.

The upper shoulders/pectoral area with the huge gap between the lower and upper torso area still bugs the snot out of me although is looking good in battroid mode. Hopefully the valk mode formation will be up soon.   

1 hour ago, borgified said:

The upper shoulders/pectoral area with the huge gap between the lower and upper torso area still bugs the snot out of me although is looking good in battroid mode. Hopefully the valk mode formation will be up soon.   

I feel like the legs are up way too high.  They’re practically in its armpits

Yeah, given how much the YF-21 has to shapeshift between all three modes, way more even than the YF-19, and given that the DX Chogokin line typically takes slight liberties with mecha designs anyway, I've decided I'm not going to sweat the details any longer. If I REEEAAALLY want something that'll suit my taste in all three modes, I'll bite the bullet and scratchbuild it. This works well enough for what it is... and hopefully it'll bring down the price of the Yamato figure some, too. Always been a regret of mine that I wasn't financially solvent enough didn't jump on any of the Yamato toys as a kid.

If we’re mentioning about the battriod mold in the Yammie 1/60 YF-21 and the upcoming DX YF-21, why not we toss in Max’s DYRL Q-Rau for comparisons as well (as we all know that the this all based on Zentradi technology with refinements along the way)? 

The good: dem legs, LOTS of details molded in, probably clever engineering, I like the shade of blue

The bad: this looks like fighter mode will be sacrificed to Battroid mode. Lately Bandai can’t manage to actually build its clever engineering to be reliable. You didn’t like the YF-19’s extra tampo? Here’s much, much MOAR!

The ugly: that torso is deeper than Maime Van Doren’s. Backpack must be hiding many sins. Of all the extra tampo, I particularly hate the hip skirts’ the most. Looks totally out of place. 

This is my hot take

Dx Yf- 19 was a rip off of arcadia’s redesigned yf-19 version 3. 

esp high speed mode wings were blatantly copied from arcadia’s version 3.  And the dx 19 came out nice.

same for dx vf-1. copied most of arcadia 2.0 vf-1. tweaked it and it came out nice. 

Yf-21 is bandai’s  first design for without being able to copy a redesign reference from yamato/Arcadia. May turn out good or bad. 

i really hope Arcadia does a redesigned yf-21 to go along with their yf-19 version 3 after the dx 21 releases to stick it to bandai. 

I don't agree with that take at all. These firms hire designers that work with multiple companies. I remember hearing during the VF-17 and VF-171 days how the same team was working on both and trying to determine ways to differentiate them. During the V1 vf-25 days, Bandai tried to do things in house... It was not so good. Also, the toys you site have significant differences from their predecessors. The DX VF-1 is VERY different from a V2 while being the same vehicle, the 19 also has pretty dramatic changes. Let's not forget Bandai made an amazing VF-31 toy with no toy to take inspiration from. The 21 might turn out to be a clunker... But it's not because the only way Bandai can make a good toy is if they have a good toy to work from. 

3 hours ago, shazam said:

Watching this video, I am very impressed by this DX YF-21. The tampo does not bother me, the belly plates do not have glaring gaps, I remember first getting the Yamato 1/72 YF-21 Fast Pack toy when it first came out and couldn’t help thinking it looked like a rear end jacked up muscle car……look how far better this is?

there will always be things that not everyone will like, but I sure am glad that I will be getting the opportunity to own a 1/60ish scale YF-21, when Bandai releases this beast!

Twich

6 hours ago, davidwhangchoi said:

This is my hot take

Dx Yf- 19 was a rip off of arcadia’s redesigned yf-19 version 3. 

esp high speed mode wings were blatantly copied from arcadia’s version 3.  And the dx 19 came out nice.

same for dx vf-1. copied most of arcadia 2.0 vf-1. tweaked it and it came out nice. 

Yf-21 is bandai’s  first design for without being able to copy a redesign reference from yamato/Arcadia. May turn out good or bad. 

i really hope Arcadia does a redesigned yf-21 to go along with their yf-19 version 3 after the dx 21 releases to stick it to bandai. 

I kind don't think is a rip off from Arcadia the YF 19, I think  Arcadia and Bandai did a great job in their own respective YF-19 designs, the Arcadia and even Yamato love the bulkiness of each one of them how they look in their three respective forms, for Bandai love how slick/lean an more anime accurate the design is, also Bandai don't have that gap between the upper leg and lower leg in fighter mode.😄

image.jpeg.520bb2f19ad3676a50c42bcae2b035d4.jpeg

for the DX Bandai YF 21 in my opinion is now the opposite, the DX Yf 21 seems more bulky this time than the Yamato YF-21, the Yamato one looks more anime accurate and lean this time. Nonetheless I will try to get at leas two DX Chogokin YF 21 no doubt 😁.

2.png.f8927e221ac28391427372af930495e6.png

I'll probably try and get at least one of these just to have it, but I wish Bandai hadn't just gone so far down their "we know better" path and flat out ignored so much of what makes the design attractive in the first place.  There's just so much where they must have decided "nah, we don't need the line-art."  I honestly have no idea what they were going for here, because every mode comes out worse than the old Yamato version.

Yes, the legs are better.  That's it.  That's a whole lot of ugly to swallow for one improvement in one mode.

That being said, I am definitely curious how they got those legs into the belly, and it's probably why the back end is so chonky.  I also wouldn't be surprised if they pulled some plastic origami like the YF-19's legs, and made the legs collapse somehow.

Kind of feels fascinating, like watching a train wreck in slow motion.. and I really want to know.. well.. did they hire Liefeld for the design work? Because that's the only thing I can think of for that torso.

captain-america-rob-liefeld-1212562.jpeg

ALTHOUGH... to be entirely fair.. making the top of the shoulders that broad does give the head an unimpeded area to spin around, rather than getting stuck between the portions of the backplate. :p 

Edited by Chronocidal

If Arcadia ever gives us the YF-21 with updated engineering, I actually don't mind if they keep the Yamato proportions intact, but give us another pair of chunky legs to swap in. :p Removable legs are already there with the delimiter mode. 

Yeahh its major parts-forming, but I see it as similar to how Bandai gives another pair shorter, line-art accurate wings for their HMR VF-1 & VF-0.

53 minutes ago, jenius said:

There's something very curious happening with the lower leg. I wonder if it pivots instead of sliding out to extend. 

It definitely looks like the backs of the calves open up to let the feet and ankles flip up inside them.

Edited by Chronocidal

17 minutes ago, Shawn said:

I think I agree with that...sort of like the vf-1 battroids arms and the rotating hands come out, but reversed for the feet
that looks like a hinge at the top

image.png.6a4d3fcfc5f7faa2de0052d382a8f778.png

If that is the case on the other side of the same pic you can see where that parts is supposed to rotate.

Screenshot_20230731-1043362.png.7e71530e5aa1093ac67367fca9d78569.png

What I'm seeing is that the lower part of the legs seems a bit short to me. I might be with the purpose of accommodating tha lower part inside the upper part.

The whole rotating lower leg is an Interesting solution to how Bandai solve fitting the very lanky legs into the belly of Fighter.

By making them disappear completely into the calves, there’s more space for longer hips.

It also looks like the hips are also on a rotating joint to make them positioned higher in Battroid like its YF-19 counterpart.

Edited by MKT

That rotating feet/ankle solution, I wonder how it will hold, if it's ratcheted, or if there's a locking system? I don't want it displayed in Battroid to become loose on that joint and droops and fall down on its face. Yikes.