Fave valk/Macross toy purchase of '09

m0n5t3r

Granted some are still waiting for their last minute Macross toy hauls to arrive... for those like me who are done for the year, let's share our favorite valk purchase/s of '09...

1/60 v.2 VF-1D - just because of its nostalgic effect on me... whenever i look at it, it just brings me back to when i first saw SDFM on TV as a kid. i hope Yamato comes out w/ a "detailed-up" VF-1D w/ those t-rex add-ons so i'd have an excuse to get another one.

other notables:

- from DYRL? - 1/60 v.2 VE-1 - in toy form, i actually like the VE-1 that little bit more than the VT-1.

- VF-11B - i just love the ease of its transformation and of course the heatshield (being able to display it in f-mode w/ the heatshield deployed).

... too bad the 1/60 v.2 GBP armor didn't make it...

Edited by m0n5t3r

I've gotta put my vote in for the 1/60 Yamato Tomahawks.

Just like you, it's a nostalgic thing for me. As I've explained before, I first saw a Tomahawk on a flier I got in an old 'Robotech Defenders' model kit that I got for Christmas, when I was 11 or 12. Well, the design stuck with me.

Most of the toys that came out were ones that I missed, and the first real Tomahawk toy I was able to get my hands on was the 'Robotech/ExoSquad' crossover toys that popped up in the early nineties. I ended up getting two of those 'Hawks.

Still, I want's satisfied. the articulation was horrible, and the missiles in the chest packs were hideous. Still, they were all I had.

When I got my hands on these babies, though, I was in bliss! Excellent detail, amazing quality, and two color schemes. Oh, wow!!!

I have the standard 1/60 Tan, the Olive Drab, and the Special Weathering Tan version.

This was a rough year financially for a lot of us, myself included, so I did not get a lot of Macross goodies.

However the couple I did get made me very happy.

The Yamato V.2 VF-1D takes first place. Totally awesome figure and the pilot figures are sweet.

The Yamato Defender probably takes second place. Really great figure.

Then the Bandai 1/72 Frontier kit. I got a VF-25 Alto, built it and then had to rebuild it a bit to put on the super parts. Great sculpt.

If I had them then the VE-1 and VT-1 would be up there too.

For this year, I'd have to say the VF-11B. Its arrival completed my M+ collection and was pretty much what I wanted ever since I got the 1/72 and felt so disappointed with the sculpt and design. It's nicely sculpted, has fine details, is thoughtfully engineered (except for that blasted escape pod!), and has tight joints that remain tight which is much more than I can say about any of the bandai frontier DX's that I've bought this year which have loosened to utter floppiness despite just being displayed in my display cabinet with hardly any handling. While it may be possible that I could change my mind when the Quarter arrives, I just don't see it happening.

I'm very curious to see what next year will bring.

Mine's the 1/48 VF-1J Max.

Even before I got into Macross (only got into the franchise around 2008), I already wanted one (really love its color plus it's piloted by the top ace himself) and I'm stuck with a Revoltech version of it. It's also my first perfect transformation VF, my first on the 1/48 line, got it for my birthday and it cost me less than 140 bucks.

I love this year so much since this is the year where I started getting Yamato VFs and that 1/48 VF-1J Max has to be the top one.

I love them all but at the top of my list would have to be (in no particular order):

OD green Tomahawk - as a former Battletech fan boy this scratches 2 itches! The torso joint sucks but otherwise I can find not on fault with this one. I can even franken-mech it.

VT-1/VE-1 - Just wow. I love them both. With both sitting next to my Strike Roy........I just get a grin on my face.

VF-11B - Sets a new standard for me. It's not as articulated as the VF-1 V.2 1/60s but it feels so solid and the build quality is top notch. Did I mention that it just plain looks kick ass! :)

As I read all of the praise of the VF-11B, I must finally admit- guys - I have not even had a chance to transform mine! Maybe I'll finally find time next year...

Anyways - here's my vote:

Bandai's VF-25 1:72 model. The one I have is the VF-25S Ozma type. I sorely regret being a lazy bum and getting the Bandai Chogokin instead of continuing to get the models and build them. But already the fun of having a Bandai chogokin has given way to me finally just getting annoyed with all the chogokin's bad points - particularly when I know what Yamato puts out.

That said - while Yamato has indeed put out a lot of great products this year, I have to give Bandai's design team my respect for the 1:72 Ozma. It's a great model kit, wonderful detail, fantastic transformation, good factory colors.... I'm very pleased with it. It was a difficult kit for me to build given my meager modeling experience, but the end result is really something good and I think it does deserve Best Macross Product of the year title because Yamato has been perfecting their VF-1 for years. Bandai got the model kit of the VF-25 right the first time.

But yeah... it's hard to limit myself to one. However - not really going to chose between the various VF-1 incarnations - it's just a repaint of the same mould with different accessories - so really - whether you pick the 1D or the VE-1 or whatever - you're basically saying "Yamato's VF-1 version 2.0 in 1:60 scale.

Definitely for Macross collectors then - this year's best products are the VF-1 2.0 and the VF-25 model in 1:72 scale.

The VF-11B looks great, but I think all of us have been dreaming more of a perfect VF-1 like the version 2.0 than that...or maybe not?...

In any event... mm... what else? Really...there's not much else. It looks like being a Macross collector is TOO easy.

They really need to give us either a Revoltech or Figma Misa etc or at LEAST an inflatable Minmey sex doll next year. Enough with the jets! ;)

Pete

1/60 v2.0 VF-1S Max version [quite iconic in my mind] and YF-21 make it for me. It's almost a tie between those two.

The new VF-1x is a fantastic mould I certainly won't get tired of for a long, long time. It's almost a charm to pose without any fast packs attached.

YF-21 has a smooth process of going from fighter to battroid, but the opposite is stupidly complex. I do wish the legs stood a tad better in battroid mode, as that would make posing a more fun process, but it's an awesome display piece.

For me it's the 1/60 v2.0 VF-1A CF, there is just something noble about this grunt unit and Yamato did great work on the color scheme.

Edited by Bri

VE-1 All the way! Just awesome, followed closely by the VF-11B..... B))

honorable mention has to kinda be thrown to the Beagle Bikes as well..(no not Macross I know) but the engineering and coolness factor is just plain jaw dropping! Ohh, and the Toynmai BETA FIGHTER....finally got a Beta after only like what...25 yrs???LOL. Still a great toy.

Edited by derex3592

Gamlin VF-22S. My favorite valk for one of my all-time favorite Macross characters in a great color scheme. And the first Macross 7 valk not done by Bandai, hopefully the first of many.

Rating from 1 * to 4 *

N/A   1/72 Bandai VF-25F with super pack (not build)
N/A   1/72 Bandai VF-27 (not build)
N/A   1/60 Yamato VF-11B (in mail)
****  1/60 Yamato VF-1J Max
****  1/60 Yamato VF-1J Milia
***   1/60 Bandai VF-25S Armoured
***   1/60 Yamato Destroid Tomahawk
***   1/60 Yamato YF-21
***   Revoltech Regult
**    1/100 Bandai VF-100 VF-25F
***   1/144 F-Toys Macross Fighter Set#2
**    Robot Damashii Queadluun
*     1/48  Aoshima Legioss Zeta

Edited by CF18

CF-1A; the only one I bought. Probably grab the Hikaru 1J next year if they ever re-release it with the new fixes - it was released beforehand, correct?

I got my Hikaru VF-1J around early October I think, and it already had the shoulder fixes. The only thing it didn't have was the new nosecone hatch, and that really doesn't bother me at all.

I can't say I have a favorite yet. Roughly half of the Valks I "own" are currently waiting for me to pick up at the post office (or will be by the time I get back to my apartment). It's gonna be hard to decide later. :)