Official Yamato 1/60 Scale VF-11C thread

Graham

So due to some effed up issues with work I currently live in a city other than where my Macross toys reside. I can't take them with me because I simply don't have the room. Every weekend when I go home I look at this 11C and the only thing I can think is, "I need at least three more of these!" That's not healthy.

possible accessories that could go in add-ons/sets re-releases/repaints:

0) Protect Armor

1) Radome/recon version

2) Foldo Boosta

3) Rocket Boosters

4) Beam weapon/gunpod

5) external hard point missiles (including NATO/JASDF that many of us wanna see for the VF-0/VF-1v2 line, but also Frontier style weapons and intermediary hypotheticals), including the reaction missiles from Operation: Stargazer

6) Ground crews (not like Yamato has alot of competition here in 1/60 scale).

I'd love for a drone vf-11 especially if it involves a new head sculpt.

the drone is cool and all (and I do love safety orange) but if there going to do a VF-11 with new parts, I want a VF-11D

vf-11d-fighter.gif

this one has a sweet head sculpt

vf-11d-battroid.gif

Edited by anime52k8

Ok, had the time to "play" with it a bit. I absolutely love the look of it, I couldn't live without one but... darn, there's no way that thing is worth the price Yamato is asking for (or any other 1/60 for that matter). There are $20 Transformers that are far more complex, poseable and gimmicky. And it feels light, too light... how exactly are they justifying the price? I feel the current Bandai DX lineup offers more bang for the buck.

Edited by Dr. Z

How many units are we talking about?

And does that mean figures like Soul of Chogokin are produced in much greater numbers given their superior quality for the same price (or less!)? I thought they were relatively limited too.

SoC are able to be produced and marketed and sold for areas outside of Japan. (HK collectible editions, Phillipines, etc etc) Macross stuff is limited to Japan only. This is why you don't see Macross stuff but you do see SoC distributed by Diamond. You can go to the HG and Robotech thread in the Other Anime section and ask about that there.

Superior quality of SoC? Materials or design?

Design: most of the SoC stuff, though awesome, are simple cylinder and blocks. Not many of them transform and the ones that do the secondary mode does not look anywhere as good as the Yamato planes.

Materials: I'd say they were on par. I've got broken SoC's as well as cracked Yammie shoulders.

Ok, had the time to "play" with it a bit. I absolutely love the look of it, I couldn't live without one but... darn, there's no way that thing is worth the price Yamato is asking for (or any other 1/60 for that matter). There are $20 Transformers that are far more complex, poseable and gimmicky. And it feels light, too light... how exactly are they justifying the price? I feel the current Bandai DX lineup offers more bang for the buck.

I'll agree with part of the price arguement. Completely disagree with the TF assessment. Bandai DX...haven't followed anything but the SoC's. No comment.

SoC are able to be produced and marketed and sold for areas outside of Japan. (HK collectible editions, Phillipines, etc etc) Macross stuff is limited to Japan only.

Finally a hardcore Macross fan who isn't a snob and takes the time to answer. Thanks man. I didn't think about the Japan-only aspect.

Superior quality of SoC? Materials or design?

Mostly materials, but design-wise as well. And they also come with tons and tons of high-quality accessories, even at the lower price points.

Design: most of the SoC stuff, though awesome, are simple cylinder and blocks.

That's debatable. The basic transformation of Valkyries is not that difficult either and their articulation isn't always the best in the leg department. I think figures like Dancouga, Gunbuster, Ideon, Irongear, Daimos, Godmarz, Zambot 3, Combattler V, Voltes V, GX-46 (can't spell those names) and the upcoming Daitarn 3 display superior (and more original) engineering. Also, the selection of transforming SOC is quite extensive.

the ones that do the secondary mode does not look anywhere as good as the Yamato planes.

That's subjective. I personally find SOC more exciting because of the variety (I know, they borrow their bots from various shows). I like Valkyries, they're beautiful, I have 8 of them myself, but you have to admit that the basis of the franchise is to rehash the same basic design over and over. Can you imagine a Transformers franchises made exclusively with countless takes on the Optimus Prime truck and nothing else? I like the variety and all the various alien/retro designs. They're the roots of our hobby.

Also, look at $20 Transformers like ROTF Starscream, Mixmaster or Ironhide. They are more complex figures than most Valkyries. Even some crazy movie $10 deluxes are.

Edited by Dr. Z

Also, look at $20 Transformers like ROTF Starscream, Mixmaster or Ironhide. They are more complex figures than most Valkyries. Even some crazy movie $10 deluxes are.

And...they're also generally complete pieces of crap...your point being?

And...they're also generally complete pieces of crap...your point being?

Please post only if you have an informed opinion. It's clear that you have a very limited if nonexistent experience in Transformers collecting. I'm looking for opinions from people who can actually compare by experience (and not only with just Macross and Transformers but also other lines of transforming mechas).

Edited by Dr. Z

This really is off topic so I'll respond here once more but if you want to talk about it make a new thread.

Finally a hardcore Macross fan who isn't a snob and takes the time to answer. Thanks man. I didn't think about the Japan-only aspect.

NP.

Mostly materials, but design-wise as well. And they also come with tons and tons of high-quality accessories, even at the lower price points.

Price point again can be argued about quantity produced and distribution. Global mass production argument vs region market obviously. The more accessories argument doesn't work on the VF-1. That things got plenty. The Mac Plus's, and later ones I would've liked to have more missiles and accessories but that's the way it goes with later produced Macross toys. Even Bandai does this with their Macross Frontier toys with the Sound Packs, Ghost packs, Armor packs AND they make it a web exclusive to the Japan market. Bandai sucks as much/more balls then Yamato for that piece of work.

That's debatable. The basic transformation of Valkyries is not that difficult either and their articulation isn't always the best in the leg department. I think figures like Dancouga, Gunbuster, Ideon, Irongear, Daimos, Godmarz, Zambot 3, Combattler V, Voltes V, GX-46 (can't spell those names) and the upcoming Daitarn 3 display superior (and more original) engineering. Also, the selection of transforming SOC is quite extensive.

I've got Dancouga, Gunbuster, Irongear, Godmarz, Zambot etc. Without taking Zambot out from the display case IIRC it's got crap knee articulation, same with Godmarz. Dancouga's head will pop off if inverted(think it was fixed later but I don't have that version). It's also a hat and shoe mech, though the feet robot are cool but fragile. Gunbuster was awesome. IronGears still a brick but it's got some slightly better knees then the old DX and it's transformation hasn't changed much since the old $10 plastic version I had. Sure their(SoC) 2nd form looks anime-accurate but with the exception of Gunbuster, when you're a pull apart/reassemble super robot it's alot easier then going from a robot to sleek plane with NO ROBOT PARTS hanging out.

That no robot parts applies to the ROTF Transformers too. If you flip the vehicles over/side view you can definitely tell what's robot and shouldn't be visible in that mode.

That's subjective. I personally find SOC more exciting because of the variety (I know, they borrow their bots from various shows). I like Valkyries, they're beautiful, I have 8 of them myself, but you have to admit that the basis of the franchise is to rehash the same basic design over and over. Can you imagine a Transformers franchises made exclusively with countless takes on the Optimus Prime truck and nothing else? I like the variety and all the various alien/retro designs. They're the roots of our hobby.

(Ignoring SoC since you've already acknowledged them as being an amalgamation of different shows...)

There's the difference. In Macross the planes don't have character or personalities other then what the pilots put into them . They're also mass produced military planes so it makes sense for them to be the exact same design with the only distinguishing pattern the colour stripe. At most there are only 4 different main valkyries of the same mold to collect from each series. If you want to collect the CF and other weird coloured once that are shown in the background once and never again well that's your choice isn't it?

Transformers actually do the countless takes on the same mold but mostly on the Decepticons side since they're the bad guys and are cannonfodder anyways. How many different variations of the same Seeker jets are there? Then there's the billion Battle Ravages/Dive Bombs in (Energon)? and the red/blue/yellow thing in Cybertron. Hasbro definitely milks those mold. As for countless Optimus Prime trucks.....doesn't Prime change his body every six months anyways? Ignoring the "white" Ultra Magnus versions or the "black" Nemesis ones too...

I will admit that there are alot of good unique figures in TF too. Cybertron Evac is still one of my favourites.

See above for my reply about Robot Parts hanging off vehicle mode.

The reason why Transformers toys cost less than Macross toys is generally due to the difference in market size. In general, the more a product is made and expected to sell in volume, the lower the price.

Plus the price is what it is due to the fact that many of us accepted the price and toy. The companies will charge maximum what the market will bear and what will make them profit.

That said, there's really no way to determine what a "fair price" for a particular toy is. You could compare against other toys but even then it's hard to gauge it since it generally boils down to one's own subjective opinion. You can try to argue such and such toy is worth more because of such & such reasons, but at the end of the day it's really comes down to one's own viewpoint. Obviously here at Macrossworld, you're not going to get much sympathy or agreement if you try to argue that a Yamato Valkyrie is overpriced compared to X or Y.

I LOVE apples! ^_^

I think he's saying he likes jumbo shrimp, but I dunno, I personally like apples better.

but don't you need a long drawn out essay on why you like apples?

Please post only if you have an informed opinion. It's clear that you have a very limited if nonexistent experience in jumbo shrimp collecting. I'm looking for opinions from people who can actually compare by experience (and not only with just apples and jumbo shrimp but also other lines of lobsters).

but don't you need a long drawn out essay full of subjective reasoning based on assumptions written in a rhetorical style on why you like apples?

nope ;)

so what are the chances we'll see a VF-11MAXL, considering there doing a completely redesigned VF-19?

Edited by anime52k8