I had the LD's long ago, but decided I didn't need them or the player when my Dad moved. Didn't take the chance to buy the Dual DVD set when I could either.

<Spleen> BIG MISTAKE!! </Spleen>

After I saw that Lucas was trying to swap out the print in the National Archives, I decided I should go ahead & Order the DVD set on eBay. Got it for about $50, just the original discs, no SE's. My daughter's not quite ready to watch it yet, but I'm thinking next 5/4. And dangit, she's gonna see the real version first!

Duke: I've heard of those, has he done all 3 movies, or just the first one?

Harmy's Star Wars is up to version 2.5. Empire just hit version 2.0 a month ago. Jedi is still stuck at version 1.0 and is awaiting materials from a group called Team Negative 1, which is restoring and remastering 35mm reels of all three films. Their work is really what everyone is following. They've bought several reels of each original movie and have been working on all three for the past year or so. Those will truly be the versions to have once they are done. Amazing work. You can check all of this stuff out over at originaltrilogy.com.

That's a very TRON-esque evolution of the stormtrooper helmet design... not surprising since Disney is behind both, and I kind of like it; there is a definite design lineage going on from the Rocketeer style from AotC to bridging version from RotS, to the classic design, and now this.

It will look fine in Abrams' Apple Store Enterprise Bridge.

"The iTrooper 7c now comes in a variety of fashionable colors and increased accuracy of fire..."

Makes you wonder why the Rebels are still flying around in some rusty junk pieces.

Edited by electric indigo

Part of the design makes sense, the clear bit wrapping around to their ears gives them peripheral vision. Having it wrap down to their mouths is superfluous, fancy design aesthetic.

I thought in previous pics you could see the eyes are still the same individual lenses, just buried in that black background? Giving them peripheral vision might make sense, but I don't think it actually does.

I thought in previous pics you could see the eyes are still the same individual lenses, just buried in that black background? Giving them peripheral vision might make sense, but I don't think it actually does.

I don't know, I hadn't seen that. If that's the case then it's a dumb redesign IMO.

I think its a wonderful update... very respectful of the original intent and unmistakably iconic, yet much more modern and advanced. I just love Darren Gilford's sensibilities, so hard to attempt to update something so iconic and embedded into everyone's collective consciousness - I just hope JJ doesn't cover up all his amazing work with lens flares!

Even if the new design did not have the eyeballs the stormtrooper helmets are a terrible design, seeing anything out of them even with the wrap around view is nearly impossible. Unless they are supposed to be sensors rather then eye holes.

I've had paintball goggles with better vision and it is still extremely limited.

You're not going to have excellent visibility in any helmet. That's the tradeoff you get for head protection.

They're just redesigning things for the sake of redesigning things. I don't like it. After the mess Abrams made of the Star Trek films he made, I'm not holding my breath for EpVII. I'll still go see it, and I'm sure that's what Disney is counting on, but there's absolutely no way this film is going to be the same epic that Lucas and 20th Century Fox made 37 years ago.

And why did they have to kill the EU? Dammit, I liked those novels.

In the West End Games Star Wars RPG (from which a lot of the EU background material was derived), the Stormtrooper helmets did indeed include visual sensors - and also came complete with tongue-operated controls for various suit functions...

...OTOH, Luke couldn't see a thing in his. Couldn't reach the switch marked "VISION ON" with his tongue?

Edited by F-ZeroOne

In the West End Games Star Wars RPG (from which a lot of the EU background material was derived), the Stormtrooper helmets did indeed include visual sensors - and also came complete with tongue-operated controls for various suit functions...

...OTOH, Luke couldn't see a thing in his. Couldn't reach the switch marked "VISION ON" with his tongue?

That is just incredibly stupid.

Edited by anime52k8

The Star Wars visual dictionary shows that the Eye Lenses are some form of sensor.

post-265-0-23952200-1410040164_thumb.jpg

Maybe Luke's line about not being able to see was due to it not fitting correctly? Or not being tailored to him possibly?

Chris