All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

HG's claim only applies to merchandise, so I think as long as BW doesn't try to sell products of the forbidden cameos, it should be fine right? I know HG has implied something different but I think they're just being self aggrandizing. 

It's a great question though, can a macross plus game have a YF-19 flying in front of the SDF-1? Lots of circumstances that could be unclear.

Edited by jenius

31 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Honestly, for all of the benefits of being able to get all the other franchises internationally, it still feels like a loss to still have to import anything SDF/DYRL-related.

10 hours ago, JB0 said:

I've definitely heard good things about Macross before.

hmm... sounds like this franchise might be decent, i'll look into it but i hope they figure out this international thing:unsure:

1 hour ago, jenius said:

HG's claim only applies to merchandise, so I think as long as BW doesn't try to sell products of the forbidden cameos, it should be fine right? I know HG has implied something different but I think they're just being self aggrandizing. 

It's a great question though, can a macross plus game have a YF-19 flying in front of the SDF-1? Lots of circumstances that could be unclear.

For now we know "merch" is defined as books and video games under the terms of this deal"...I still have my doubts about video, I'll believe it when I see the first post SDFM-DYRL Macross series get an "unedited" WWM release....lol

6 hours ago, treatment said:

Heard it's a goofy franchise, but here are the preorder pages available at amz-jp (so far) for disc-versions (i think):

PS4 normal (5280y) : https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B0CG9Q2TC1/

PS5 normal (4493y) : https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B0CG9PBWBX/

PS5 LE (unknown) : https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B0CG9M3BN2

Switch normal (5280y) : https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B0CG9PWGTF/

Switch LE (7678y) https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B0CG9P2WWX/

update:

The LEs for the PS4 and PS5 platforms disc-versions are now listed on amz-jp:

PS5 LE  (7678y) :  https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B0CG9M3BN2  

PS4 LE (7678y) : https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B0CG9LWNQW

translated description/detail on amz-jp: 

The package version includes stages, characters, and aircraft from "Do You Remember Love, Macross?" (additional paid DLC)!
Limited edition contents: 4 special benefits such as a special illustration package drawn by Haruhiko Mikimoto, the character designer of "Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Do You Remember Love?"
Character design of "Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Do you remember love?" Illustration package drawn by Haruhiko Mikimoto & special book red (40p planned) & acrylic plate & Weiss Schwarz special PR card (*PR card is the first production version) Includes both regular and limited editions)!

22 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

What is the

? Trading card? Mobile game tie-in card? DLC code card?

I'm debating if the artbook and illustrations are worth the extra cost or not...

Weis Schwarz is a anime tcg, the JPN version has tons of franchises including Marcoss (Frontier specifically). It has a US version as well with a decent catalog of series. If you can translate the card you can use it in any deck as the system isn't franchise specific. 

My roommate is blasting through AC:6 and it looks fantastic, I'll definitely grab it whenever I'm good on my first run of Starfield, which could be a while. I fired it up and installed last night, played about 5.5 hours, straight, it's quite amazing. 

I guess I have to be that guy and admit that I've never played Elden Ring.  I dunno, I'm too old and too busy to "git gud" or whatever, and generally don't find Soulslike games appealing.  That said, Elden Ring is probably the closest a Soulslike has gotten to attracting my attention.

Now, Armored Core 6... I remember playing the very first AC back in the day and I thought it was pretty cool, but I also remember playing another one (Nexus, maybe?) and hating it.  I think I'd definitely pick up Armored Core 6, if I weren't trying to wrap up Baldur's Gate 3 with Starfield installed and ready to go next (to say nothing of the fact that I'm also looking forward to the Cyberpunk expansion, Forza Motorsport, Spider-Man 2, Super Mario Wonder, Assassin's Creed Mirage, Robocop, and Super Mario RPG before the year is out).  I wishlisted it on Steam; I'll grab it on a sale and save it for a dry spell, just like I did with Sea of Stars.

Man, 2023 has been a good year for gamers.   

Bleh.. sad to say I went ahead and requested a refund on Steam for Starfield.  Just cannot get it to move past the "requirements not met" blockage, and it's not worth reformatting a stable computer just for one title.  Steam said I "played" for a grand total of 7 minutes.. which, considering it would try to start and kick me out within a couple of seconds, speaks to exactly how many attempts I made.

I'll play it on my next computer, once the patches and mods have time to cook.

Edited by Chronocidal

43 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Bleh.. sad to say I went ahead and requested a refund on Steam for Starfield.  Just cannot get it to move past the "requirements not met" blockage, and it's not worth reformatting a stable computer just for one title.  Steam said I "played" for a grand total of 7 minutes.. which, considering it would try to start and kick me out within a couple of seconds, speaks to exactly how many attempts I made.

I'll play it on my next computer, once the patches and mods have time to cook.

I assume your PC does meet the minimum requirements, though (they don't look particularly demanding)?  At what point does this issue occur?

I don't want to get into the game until I'm done with Baldur's Gate (hopefully tomorrow), but I did launch it and messed around in the settings (granted, through the Xbox app on PC, not Steam).  My box exceeds the published minimum requirements, and all but the CPU exceed the recommended, too (alas my i7-9700K is a generation too old, but I just upgraded the RAM and GPU and hope to get another two years or so out of this box).

29 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

I assume your PC does meet the minimum requirements, though (they don't look particularly demanding)?  At what point does this issue occur?

I don't want to get into the game until I'm done with Baldur's Gate (hopefully tomorrow), but I did launch it and messed around in the settings (granted, through the Xbox app on PC, not Steam).  My box exceeds the published minimum requirements, and all but the CPU exceed the recommended, too (alas my i7-9700K is a generation too old, but I just upgraded the RAM and GPU and hope to get another two years or so out of this box).

My cynical take on the matter?  Microsoft is cockblocking people who don't want their most recent Windows garbage.

The more literal reason I've heard speculation about is that there are hidden updates for DirectX 12 buried under some of the more recent OS updates (remember when you could pick and choose what updates to install if you didn't want a specific feature?), and not having those means the game throws a hissy fit, and pops a generic "your video card isn't compatible error" rather than explaining the actual issue.

And it's basically an instant "NO SOUP FOR YOU" error.  You click the game to start, and it throws up a "Your video card does not meet the minimum requirements" window.  This is on a 2080 Super, for the record, which has defined default settings in the initialization files for the game.  The error is a lie.  It's not like games where you can install it on older hardware, and expect it to run poorly, this just denies you even attempting it.

And the whole thing is a pile of BS anyhow, since the game runs on Linux, and doesn't even need DirectX to begin with, but what are you going to do?  I use this computer for everything (mostly DCS World and other flight sims), it has run completely stably for almost four years, and I have no intention of upsetting that stability by reinstalling Windows from scratch to play a Bethesda title at launch.  There's not even any guarantee that it would do the trick, since many people have forced their computers to update to the most recent build, and it still didn't solve the issue.

I'm really in no rush, so I'm perfectly fine waiting for the "complete" edition to come out, since it will be cheaper, more stable, and have a lot more content.

Edit: FYI, Steam's refund machine is running smoothly, just came in about an hour after requested.

Edited by Chronocidal

And this is why I prefer console gaming. They may not have the prettiest graphics, but the games are all programmed to work with a known quantity and system requirements. 

No dealing with software or hardware compatibility issues, no OS updates that brick older games, and no rebuilding a shitty $3000 gaming rig every two years because some fancy new tech came out and the latest killer app is running it.

Because consoles don't require OS updates? 

And what Windows updates break older games? The ability to play older games is exactly why I prefer PC. The PlayStation 5 can't play PS3 games, but games I bought on Steam when my PC was running XP still run on my Windows 11 box.

I dunno, if it's a bug then hopefully Bethesda will patch it. If it's a Windows update thing, then you gotta do whatever you feel comfortable with, but I can't recall the last time an OS update caused issues.

2 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

I dunno, if it's a bug then hopefully Bethesda will patch it. If it's a Windows update thing, then you gotta do whatever you feel comfortable with, but I can't recall the last time an OS update caused issues.

To be clear here, this isn't specifically about a Windows update causing issues, either with Starfield, or in general, although there are quite a few reports I've read of people trying to update to the latest build to play this, and Windows Update just fails on them.  It winds up driving them down a troubleshooting rabbit hole of manual patching, sometimes requiring complete reinstallation of the OS, and sometimes even that doesn't do the trick.  This game is not worth that much trouble to me.

This really has more to do with how Windows manages their update processes now.

Back in the day, updates rolled out on a module-by-module basis.  You would get driver updates, DirectX updates, UI updates, application updates, security updates, etc, all broken out via individual patch objects.  Admins and tech enthusiasts appreciated this, because you could tailor your update path to support only what you needed on your systems, and leave out the features you didn't want.  You could troubleshoot the system piece by piece if something didn't work.

That went away a long time ago.  Now, Windows is updated entirely by cumulative update roll-ups that include everything.  You can't break out the updates to different parts of the OS, because they're all thrown into the same giant bin.  The individual bits of necessary security updates and bug fixes are all tangled up in the spaghetti of Candy Crush, start menu ads and MS365 promotions.

As I understand it, Starfield "depends" on some update to DirectX that was rolled into a more recent build.  Without being able to dissect those updates and pull the parts you actually need out of the pile of garbage, you're stuck pulling the entirety of MS's shenanigans into your OS, whether you want any of it or not.

It's bordering on tinfoil hat levels, but I don't expect this is a bug, I expect it's entirely intentional.  MS doesn't want people on older builds of Windows, because they can't monetize users who don't download their adware.

Edited by Chronocidal

10 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Bleh.. sad to say I went ahead and requested a refund on Steam for Starfield.  Just cannot get it to move past the "requirements not met" blockage, and it's not worth reformatting a stable computer just for one title. 

Sorry. Context. What are the specs on your PC?
And for context, here's Starfield's requirements: https://help.bethesda.net/#en/answer/60442

And if you needed a DirectX update, that would normally come packaged with the installer, no? And what version of Windows are you on?

2 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

Because consoles don't require OS updates? 

Yeaaaaah. The only advantage consoles have is standardized hardware. Xbox, Playstation, Switch, Steam. They all release system updates and many times, you can't bypass them. Especially if you have that thing connected to the 'Net. 

2 hours ago, azrael said:

Sorry. Context. What are the specs on your PC?
And for context, here's Starfield's requirements: https://help.bethesda.net/#en/answer/60442

And if you needed a DirectX update, that would normally come packaged with the installer, no? And what version of Windows are you on?

From what I'm finding out, there are some DirectX updates that are embedded in the cumulative update roll-ups for Windows now.

I'm fairly certain this is at least partly a Windows issue, because I will never assume Bethesda isn't involved.  My computer's specs are far more than enough, but I'm running a version of Windows 10 that's older than what they want (1909), and it doesn't contain the DirectX updates required to run it.  There's no separate install for that, and that's the reason the game requires a specific build of Windows.

This is what I was saying about the new update structure making it impossible to install only what you need to do what you want.  Updates are an all-or-nothing deal.  You want to play the new games?  You're getting MS-branded adware on your desktop along with it.

The reason I'm on 1909 is because I'm an obstinate user that's sick of MS mucking with my computer, and I didn't want any of it.  So yes, it's my own fault that it doesn't run.  I'm just not that interested in Starfield that it's worth screwing with my stable system, and potentially having to reinstall Windows from scratch and get everything else I do on this computer back in working order, just to play a buggy and under-optimized game at launch.  And there's no guarantee it would even fix it, since some people have gone through that process, and it still didn't let them play the game.  I'm patient, and I'll just play it somewhere down the line, where I either decide to do a complete reformat, or get a new computer.

It'll certainly be a better experience by that point, anyway.  This is a Bethesda game, after all. :p 

Edited by Chronocidal

2 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

This is what I was saying about the new update structure making it impossible to install only what you need to do what you want.  Updates are an all-or-nothing deal.

Yeah, but that's not a problem unique to Windows, though.  I rarely turn on my PS5, but when I do I have to update it before I can do anything.

4 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

You want to play the new games?  You're getting MS-branded adware on your desktop along with it.

Curious, what adware are you referring to?  I'm running Windows 11* 22H2 and aside from a single "Don't you want to try Edge?" popup the first time I opened Chrome I don't see any ads (full disclosure, I turned off Cortana and widgets, maybe that's where the ads are).

*It seems like I'm in the minority, but I like Windows 11.

23 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

This is what I was saying about the new update structure making it impossible to install only what you need to do what you want.  Updates are an all-or-nothing deal. 

What mikeszekely said.

33 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

You want to play the new games?  You're getting MS-branded adware on your desktop along with it.

You mean Location Services? Edge? Cortana? I turn that off, never use it and disabled Cortana. I only use Edge to download Firefox and Chrome. That's the first and last time I use it. Hell, I disable a lot of stuff to keep Windows from annoying me. It's one of the first things I do when installing Windows. 🤷‍♂️

27 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

*It seems like I'm in the minority, but I like Windows 11.

Once they give me back labels on the Taskbar, combine only when full, and the ability to resize it to small, I'll like Windows 11. When you have multiple windows of 1 app open, it makes it hard to know which one I'm clicking on when I have to use Peak to find out which one is which. 😡