All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

23 hours ago, kajnrig said:

It's gotten really good reception both critically and commercially. It came as a complete surprise, shadow-dropping onto stores like the same night it was announced or something, and everyone I keep up with has had a blast with it. It doesn't overstay its welcome, either, which is nice. I think a solid 6-10 hours for the main campaign? There have been a lot of comparisons of its humor to, say, Futurama and/or old-school Simpsons.

22 hours ago, Tking22 said:

The game is a TON of fun, really well made through and through, a gem of a game too be sure and it's on GamePass which is awesome, highly recommended. I'd grab a Series S if you're not feeling a Series X and dropping $500+. The Series S is a great little budget console, coupled with GamePass there's a lot of fun gaming to be had at a solid price. As kajnrig mentioned, Hi-Fi Rush was a nice little surprise release, announced then dropped the next day I believe, really well done little game. 

21 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

Or a Steam Deck.  I'm loving mine.😁

In all seriousness, though, since the days of the original PlayStation I've had a bad habit of buying all the consoles, even though I'm primarily a PC gamer.  I bought a PS5 for the PlayStation exclusives and I honestly haven't touched it since God of War Ragnarok... which will probably wind up on PC, just like the first Dad of War.  I wound up picking up Horizon Zero Dawn and both Spider-Man games on PC, too.  If Ghost of Tsushima gets a port I could probably sell my PS5 and not miss it.

Xbox, though, is kind of a different animal.  I actually wound up buying two, a Series X that's hooked up to the big TV in the living room, and a Series S that's hooked up to the TV in my bedroom (and is the console I grab if I'm going to play Rock Band over at a friend's house).  I almost never buy any games for it, but I play games on it fairly regularly, and it's all about Game Pass.  See, as a PC gamer I was already interested in Game Pass for PC, right?  But for $5/month more you can get Game Pass Ultimate, which gets you Game Pass on both PC and Xbox, EA Access, Xbox Cloud Gaming, and Xbox Live Gold which gives you free games in addition to online multiplayer (the one feature I don't use).  And Xbox's cloud saves make switching between platforms pretty seemless.  I can start playing a game like Forza Horizon 5 on my PC, then pick it up later on my Series X for an hour while I wait for my daughter to get home from school, then grab a controller like the Razer Kishi for my phone and keep playing in the waiting room while my daughter's at her dance class.

If you're console only and don't have anything modern, maybe your choices are a bit different.  PlayStation does have a few really good exclusives.  But probably 95% of the games that come out do so on both.

Thanks guy for the opinion and input! I really appreciate it. I'll check if my old laptop can still meet the spec to play this Steam games. ;)

As for the Steam Deck, I checked it. I had the impression that it's just somewhere around US$200. Hahaha! :lol: At US$400 (64GB), it feels like it's best to get the Xbox Series S. ;) But then again I'm trying to control myself on buying another console just for game exclusivity. Oh well. We will see. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Over 50 hours into Cyberpunk 2077 and thought I was about done with the side missions but nope, there is more! Glad I waited to play this game after all its patches. Definitely worth the $30 I paid. Can't wait to do a another play through after I upgrade my CPU and GPU later this year.

Also, watching the CP2077: Edgerunners anime on Netflix, fun to watch and compliments the game really well.

Speaking of older games we bought on sale for $30, I finally got around to picking up and playing Ghostwire: Tokyo.  It's a difficult game to quantify.  I mean, it often presents as a horror game, but once you get used to the creepy-looking enemies it's rarely scary.  The first person combat is honestly a bit clunky, with attacks beyond your starting wind element having limited utility.  Although there's decent variety of enemies they all tend to have a few limited, similar attacks.  The main plot is, once you actually figure out what's going on, kind of predictable and not super interesting.  By those counts it should be a mediocre game at best.

Despite its flaws, though, I'm genuinely having a hard time putting it down.  It's atmospheric, and where the main plot fails the side quests are much more interesting, often tapping more into Japanese myths and urban legends.  And with a few upgrades into your transversal powers it can be fun simply running around the city, looking for hidden items and spirits.  Ultimately, I think it's definitely worth checking this one out.

EDIT: If you have Game Pass it'll be extra worth checking it out, as Ghostwire is apparently coming soon to Game Pass for both PC and Xbox.

Edited by mikeszekely

Jedi Survivor PC requirements…WAT DA FRAKING HELL…155GB!? 😱

https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/jedi/jedi-survivor/pc-system-requirements

STAR WARS JEDI: SURVIVOR™ PC MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

• RAM: 8Gb
  • CPU Features: 4 core / 8 threads
  • CPU* AMD: Ryzen 5 1400
  • GPU** AMD: Radeon RX 580
  • GPU Features: DX12, 8Gb VRAM
  • Storage: 155Gb
  • *CPU alternate: Intel Core i7-7700
  • **GPU alternate: Nvidia GTX 1070

STAR WARS JEDI: SURVIVOR™ PC RECOMMENDED SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

• RAM: 16Gb
  • CPU Features: 4 core / 8 threads
  • CPU* AMD: Ryzen 5 5600X
  • GPU** AMD: RX 6700 XT
  • GPU Features: DX12, 8Gb VRAM
  • Storage: 155Gb SSD
  • *CPU alternate: Intel Core i5 11600K
  • **GPU alternate: Nvidia RTX2070

For reference, CoD:MW2 (2022)'s specs:
(spoiler'd for size)

Spoiler

Ultra 4K     The Ultra specs to run the game at a high FPS in 4K resolution
OS           Windows 10 64 Bit (latest update) or Windows 11 64 Bit (latest update)
CPU   Intel Core i9-9900K or AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
RAM  16GB RAM
STORAGE SPACE   72GB at launch
HI-REZ ASSETS CACHE  Up to 64GB
VIDEO CARD NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 or AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT
VIDEO MEMORY 10GB

and Atomic Heart's requirements
(spoiler'd for size)

Spoiler
  • Minimum:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • OS: Windows 10 (20H1 version or newer, 64-bit versions)
    • Processor: AMD Ryzen 3 1200 or Intel Core i5-2500
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: 4 GB VRAM, AMD Radeon R9 380 or NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 DirectX: Version 12
    • DirectX: Version 12
    • Storage: 90 GB available space
    • Additional Notes: 30 FPS, 1920x1080 in low
  • Recommended:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • OS: Windows 10 (20H1 version or newer, 64-bit versions)
    • Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X or Intel Core i7-7700K
    • Memory: 16 GB RAM
    • Graphics: 8 GB VRAM, AMD RX 6700 XT or NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070
    • DirectX: Version 12
    • Storage: 90 GB available space
    • Additional Notes: SSD recommended, 60 FPS, 1920x1080 in ultra

Storage prices are going down...but it's not THAT cheap yet.

$70 for Jedi Survivor on STEAM?? I can wait, lol.

On a side note I just finished my first playthrough with Cyberpunk 2077 at 66 hours, really good game and huge value for the $30 I paid. Looking forward to another playthrough soon. Though I think I'd get more out of it by driving through the city and discovering things than the fast travel.

31 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

$70 for Jedi Survivor on STEAM?? I can wait, lol.

On a side note I just finished my first playthrough with Cyberpunk 2077 at 66 hours, really good game and huge value for the $30 I paid. Looking forward to another playthrough soon. Though I think I'd get more out of it by driving through the city and discovering things than the fast travel.

There's the expansion coming out this summer too I believe, Idris Elba is the villain, which looks awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

Jedi Survivor looks like a lot of fun, loved the first game, but I saw Digital Foundry's breakdown and yikes. For $70 they crap the bed on this release, another AAA game released before it was ready, day 1 buyers are practically beta testers. I'll buy when they patch it into decent running condition, and for their BS, when it's on a steep sale, I may even grab a second-hand physical copy from Gamestop, these devs need to learn this isn't acceptable. 

17 minutes ago, Tking22 said:

Jedi Survivor looks like a lot of fun, loved the first game, but I saw Digital Foundry's breakdown and yikes. For $70 they crap the bed on this release, another AAA game released before it was ready, day 1 buyers are practically beta testers. I'll buy when they patch it into decent running condition, and for their BS, when it's on a steep sale, I may even grab a second-hand physical copy from Gamestop, these devs need to learn this isn't acceptable. 

I have it for PS5, it's busted. I'm expecting it to be a month or so before it's playable. Playable equal to its price tag, not playable as in "does the game load and can you do stuff?"

I got it for Steam, which seems like the worst choice right now, but I can't complain since I got the key for free from a friend at EA. I installed it, but I haven't started it. I'll wait until after Tears of the Kingdom, maybe it'll be patched up by then.

4 hours ago, Tking22 said:

I'm hearing it's playable on console. PC...yeah, wait for a few more patches. I know companies have deadlines (if they didn't nothing would get released), but would this game moving to a Fall release kill them?

I'm not an advocate for buying any games at launch, let alone pre-ordering, unless you enjoy being a beta tester. Especially these days.

4 hours ago, Tking22 said:

I learned my lesson early on with ALIENS: Colonial Marines.

15 hours ago, azrael said:

I'm hearing it's playable on console. PC...yeah, wait for a few more patches. I know companies have deadlines (if they didn't nothing would get released), but would this game moving to a Fall release kill them?

I'm not an advocate for buying any games at launch, let alone pre-ordering, unless you enjoy being a beta tester. Especially these days.

I think they were pushed to get it out around May 4th for Star Wars day. It's backfiring though, it's a mess on all platforms, even PS5 and Series X run like crap and the resolution drops are insane. I think the last AAA game that I played that was solid at launch was Forbidden West on PS5, Sony exclusives are usually pretty solid on release because it's much easier to optimize for three very similar platforms compared to these giant AAA multi-platform games. 

3 hours ago, Dynaman said:

I never preorder video games, all of them need patches now (now being ever since the internet made patching them "easy")

Preordering made sense when we were talking about a finite number of physical carts or discs, but when you can grab a digital copy whenever you please I always wait for a few reviews, maybe a patch or two, and probably a sale. Heck, I waited almost a year to buy Cyberpunk, bought it for $30, and was totally satisfied that I'd bought a totally playable game worth the money I'd spent.

3 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

Preordering made sense when we were talking about a finite number of physical carts or discs, but when you can grab a digital copy whenever you please I always wait for a few reviews, maybe a patch or two, and probably a sale. Heck, I waited almost a year to buy Cyberpunk, bought it for $30, and was totally satisfied that I'd bought a totally playable game worth the money I'd spent.

I've never remember a situation where a game was not available after launch, at least not within a week or so.  Game consoles were another matter that would be in short supply for months or more.

4 minutes ago, Dynaman said:

I've never remember a situation where a game was not available after launch, at least not within a week or so.  Game consoles were another matter that would be in short supply for months or more.

Back in ye good old days before digital distribution, it was very possible to miss boxed releases if you weren't quick, or knew where to get them.  Most of the time it wasn't an issue, but there was always the potential for under-the-radar releases to get shuffled to the back of the bin and forgotten, until production ended early due to lack of interest, only for the prices to skyrocket on ebay when people discovered how good they were.  The Win95 upgraded box set of the original Wing Commander games is my primary reference for that, and until people started circulating ISOs on abandonware sites, that game was commonly one of the most expensive in existence.

On the other end of that spectrum though, you can also have a game become unobtainable just from sucking, and then become a hot item when it gets fixed up.  I experienced this firsthand with Final Fantasy XIV.  Someone in my gaming group saw that the game was free to play due its flop status, and we decided to give it a shot.. only to find out that it was so hated, it had been pulled from the shelves of every US store.  The only way to get a license was through a UK shop selling digital copies.. and in hindsight, it was a really good way to get a Legacy account for about $10, but it has caused numerous account management issues for my friends (who still all play it), because SE straight up lied to the game's community, and reneged on their promise to allow region transfers (probably due to ESRB/PEGI shenanigans there).  We still to this day have to use the UK account site, pay our subscriptions in GBP, and cannot participate in promotional deals from other regions.

1 hour ago, Dynaman said:

I can't speak for retail en mass, but I managed a GameStop during the PS2 era. If you wanted a really popular game on day one like, say, Smash  Bros Melee, we definitely sold out... but would probably restock after a few days.

The flip side was actually the very small releases like obscure Japanese RPGs. GameStop used preorders to decide how many copies to buy and allocate to each store. We might only get two or three copies ever, and if you didn't preorder you were SOL.

Edited by mikeszekely

• 2 weeks later...