Saw the 9 minute preview earlier today at The Hobbit. In a word Star Trek Into Darkness looks like it's going to be awesome. For me one of just a few anticipated Sci-Fi movies coming out next year.

-b.

I had no idea what was going on but yes, I am looking forward to this one as well.

-Hey I'm discussing ST: Nemesis on another board, and I'm trying to find a tongue-in-cheek review of the movie that highlighted the various plot holes; anyone remember where that is?

Edited by myk

I had no idea what was going on but yes, I am looking forward to this one as well.

-Hey I'm discussing ST: Nemesis on another board, and I'm trying to find a tongue-in-cheek review of the movie that highlighted the various plot holes; anyone remember where that is?

you mean this one, that was linked in this thread all of two pages ago? ;)

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Nemesis/Pictorial-1.html

you mean this one, that was linked in this thread all of two pages ago? ;)

http://www.stardestr...ictorial-1.html

2 pages?! Lol, for some reason as I was thinking about that link I kept thinking, "man, that post was from like....2007 or something-there's NO WAY I'll find it!" lol. Thanks anyway!

Edit: actually I did a search and tried looking through a bunch of 'Trek related threads but man, what a headache...

Edited by myk

It does? Perhaps I am dense. For proof that this MUST be an alternate universe - the Feds know what the Romulans looks like, original series makes it clear they were never seen in person till "Balance of Terror". Even Enterprise does not mess this up - the Romulans were never seen (although they had warp drive, which also puts Enterprise in an alternate universe from the original show)

That’s probably just another thing they messed up. Or perhaps they want us to think as soon as the ship arrives in Kirk’s time, things change since Nero was there for a while waiting. At least that’s what I understand from other posts mentioning the books and comics. The Star Trek timeline thing is messy. But the main point that says this was the original timeline before the whole time travel thing is the fact that they use the time travel thing and Spock. They wanted this to be legitimate and not just a new origin story or alternate universe from the beginning.

It's just a messy movie. Because at the core when you do these time travel things, it shouldn't be to reboot or setup a film property but to tell a good story. I read something once that I can't remember exactly now about the point of "City on the Edge of Forever." It wasn't about going back in time it was about a moral choice of allowing a good person to die so that a good future would exist. There is nothing even remotely similar in the new Star Trek. It's simply save the Earth from the bad guys.

Maybe Red Letter Media?

http://redlettermedi...kett/star-trek/

Apparently there's another trailer. Did anybody see this during The Hobbit?

(Youtube link pulled)

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/paramount/startrekintodarkness/

Oh, and probably some background info on Adm. Pike's words from this trailer:

Benedict Cumberbatch Describes His STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS Villain Role

Pay attention to this paragraph:

The other mysterious new character, Dr. Carol Marcus, played by Alic Eve also discussed the film and her character's relationship with Captain Kirk. "What happens in the first film is that Kirk is given his captaincy, but by the second film he maybe is wielding that power thoughtlessly. Spock and Bones are satellites of his ego and they represent a morality and a logic that he is lacking. My character is bossy and knows things and he is maybe not wanting to here the truth. His journey is a journey of humbling oneself. A journey of pathos."

Wow, serious trailer is serious. I didn't see that one during the Hobbit though, but I'm definitely interested in seeing this version of Trek take a much more dramatic turn in story...

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/paramount/startrekintodarkness/

Here are all the trailers :D gasp! I was blown away *o* I am a huge fan of ST, cannot be more happy .

I have a link to a non official recording of the 10 minute preview from the Imax theaters, the one shown before the hobbit, I do not know it such link can be posted here...

I remember debates in 1997 about lens flare when the racing game Automobili Lamborghini came out for the N64-I liked it! I like it in 'Trek too!

My thoughts on the nine minute preview...

My main issues with the nine minute preview so far stem from the fact that in one breath Spock berates Kirk for not being aware of the Prime Directive and in the next one states his mission is to interfere in the natural order of the planet... which is completely breaking the Prime Directive.

Also, when dealing with a species who are still in the age of bows and arrows keeping your ship in orbit instead of submerged in the ocean seems like the easier way to go undetected... because the native population can't see your ship ENTERING THE ATMOSPHERE or hovering around.

Third, if Spock is one of a few species left it seems illogical he would be so willing to sacrifice himself so quickly... unless he's got some personal stake in the life of this planet due to his own situation from the last movie. That's the only way I could see points one and three possibly coming together though it's totally out of character (yeah yeah, alternate universe) for Spock. The second point still stands even if may seem or look kind of cool.

As a fan of the original movies who generally liked the new incarnation (even if it's now more Star Wars than Star Trek... can't argue with the Box Office numbers there) and was very excited to see what this one was about that isn't a good first impression.

Edited by Mommar

My thoughts on the nine minute preview...

My main issues with the nine minute preview so far stem from the fact that in one breath Spock berates Kirk for not being aware of the Prime Directive and in the next one states his mission is to interfere in the natural order of the planet... which is completely breaking the Prime Directive.

Also, when dealing with a species who are still in the age of bows and arrows keeping your ship in orbit instead of submerged in the ocean seems like the easier way to go undetected... because the native population can't see your ship ENTERING THE ATMOSPHERE or hovering around.

Third, if Spock is one of a few species left it seems illogical he would be so willing to sacrifice himself so quickly... unless he's got some personal stake in the life of this planet due to his own situation from the last movie. That's the only way I could see points one and three possibly coming together though it's totally out of character (yeah yeah, alternate universe) for Spock. The second point still stands even if may seem or look kind of cool.

As a fan of the original movies who generally liked the new incarnation (even if it's now more Star Wars than Star Trek... can't argue with the Box Office numbers there) and was very excited to see what this one was about that isn't a good first impression.

there could be a logical reason why the ship is under water. the planet or system may in a location where having the ship being seen in system would be bad. You wouldnt take your ship underwater unless you really did not want to be seen by ANYBODY... :D

There are better ways to hide a ship though, and underwater is not really a good place to hide, especially given that the ship will be really HOT after making its atmo drop so the water will be boiling as a result, kind of a dead giveaway. Even then it will continue to boil as the ship exhausts its waste heat into the surrounding water. Magnetic variations, showing up on radar, etc... it is just a bad place to hide a functioning spaceship. More than likely that was used as a Cherkov's gun to show how the Big-E could survive its later crash into 'frisco bay.

Edited by Knight26

there could be a logical reason why the ship is under water. the planet or system may in a location where having the ship being seen in system would be bad. You wouldnt take your ship underwater unless you really did not want to be seen by ANYBODY... :D

Kind of a stretch there.

I for one, am very excited for this movie. Just hope the lens flare doesn't pop as much as in the 1st movie.

The special edition BR will have extra lens flare. In fact, there will be a whole disc containing just extensive lens flare sequences.

-

Really, I think the lens flare criticism has gotten a bit out of proportion. But at least it seems to keep people from going after JJA for his shaky camera work.

Oh, and probably some background info on Adm. Pike's words from this trailer:

Benedict Cumberbatch Describes His STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS Villain Role

Pay attention to this paragraph:

That paragraph is strange seeing that it was Kirk who wanted to rescue the survivors at the end of the big battle and Spock who said "not this time" or something like that.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Surely I'm not the only one hoping the Enterprise is utterly destroyed, and we get 1701-A in the next movie, that looks better/more like the true Ent-A? Or heck, make it an Excelsior-class----they're already re-writing plenty of future history anyways. :)

Given the past history of all Trek films, sooner or later they will have to destroy at least one Enterprise, It is a statistical certainty, regardless of reboot etc.

Over the course of Ten Star Trek movies they've only destroyed two Enterprise, 1071 and D. Granted, the last time they blew one up was way back in Generations so they're due.