Just explain everything with "this is Stupid Trek for the Stupid General Public."

You hit the nail on the head with that one.

>snip<

BTW was it ever said the new one is Constitution class?

Not in the movie, but given how they love to merchandise the crap out of everything it probably is.

You bring up that even-numbered turd, Nemesis?

I'll raise you "What does 'God' need with a starship?" :mellow:

You know what though? ST:V was still much more entertaining than Nemesis, if only for the cheese factor (5, Mister Sulu :p). It also made a lot more sense than Nemesis, on every level.

After an initial "bleh" impression of Nemesis, the more I thought about it, the more it came off as badly written fan-fic, and quickly went south of even ST:V. I personally love this review of the plot. http://tvtropes.org/...StarTrekNemesis

Edited by Chronocidal

opinions and anuses, people (we all have both) ... Im excited, which was the point of JJ's marketing crew. Now besides the negative, let's hear your other thoughts about this clip?

My opinions on Star Trek are coming from a fan of the series. I'll be the first to tell you that all of the Next Generation movies sucked. With these things I think you need to know if a person likes Star Trek, has seen all the movies, etc. So, my opinion has a bit more weight than the average person saying this trailer sucks and then you find out they never liked Star Trek in the first place.

Yeah where did all the boredom and corniness go?

Star Trek doesn't have to be boring and corny. The only thing Abrams did was turn Star Trek into Space Action Movie with characters that just happen to be named after classic Star Trek characters.

And on the Star Trek 2009 time travel thing that was mentioned a lot on the last page. It is horrible when you have a character that has gone back in time multiple times (Spock) with a ship that has a large amount of material (the red stuff which is a stupid Alias reference) to open a black hole and it only takes a drop. And he doesn't even try when his planet is destroyed, his race almost wiped out, and historical events are changed. He just accepts it. There is no reason for this. It is worse than the Star Trek Generations magical space ribbon that once inside you can choose any place in history you want to go.

One of the best Star Trek original series TV episodes is "City on the Edge of Forever." In it the past is changed and Kirk tells his crew on planet that each of them will have to try (and change things back) if they aren't successful. In the 2009 reboot, Uhura realizes that there is an alternate reality but no one really seems to care.

My opinions on Star Trek are coming from a fan of the series. I'll be the first to tell you that all of the Next Generation movies sucked. With these things I think you need to know if a person likes Star Trek, has seen all the movies, etc. So, my opinion has a bit more weight than the average person saying this trailer sucks and then you find out they never liked Star Trek in the first place.

I like Star Trek and I've seen all the movies too; I think this trailer was awesome and you're just being a crotchety old internet nerd. ;)

The trailer almost seems too "action-movie"ish for Trek. But I'll admit some parts of the redesigns of the ships in the JJverse seem cool. How HUGE the nacelles are on the E though, not so much.

I shudder to think of what the Excelsior would look like.

and yeah, looks like a Khan reboot to me too.maybe they make junior-Kirk be the one to boot him off of Earth instead of bumping into him later?

That makes no sense. The change in the timeline from the last movie was after Khan and the SS Botany Bay would have launched.

Time change reboot is such a headache. The Kirk reboot then shouldn't effect the series Enterprise but I think the players in the Temporal Cold War would have been very interested in effecting the events in the reboot to alter the formation of the Federation.

Excellent point that easily makes sense.

I had forgotten the best alternate in Star Trek... the 'Mirror Mirror' Universe... so this is just like the Enterprise episode, a backward cross-over, or Spock Prime would have negated his own existence, ala Back to the Future.

Still feels like the entire universe got sucked through a plot hole.. :lol: There has been a lot of parallel universe stuff in the past, but I think this is the first time they actually stuck with one for any substantial amount of time (besides the extended plot of the Mirror Universe though, which I would still love to see more of).

But yeah. Time shenanigans is fun, but for something that tends to make people think so hard, it's amazing what people miss. Maybe the key is just that you're trying so hard to wrap your brain around it that the obvious things don't come to mind?

For instance.. the whale biologist in ST:IV. Sure, she claimed to have nobody in her life during the movie. But could they be certain it would remain that way? Cue confused looks when they return to the future and every person who could have traced their family line back to her suddenly never existed.

And while I love First Contact, the entire plot falls apart if you think 5 minutes about the first 5 minutes of the movie. Why did the borg have to attack Earth at all? If they had a time machine, they could have gone back in time from anywhere in space and not had to worry about being followed back in time by those meddling ki- I mean, the Enterprise.

Edit: By the way, some new stuff about who the villain is. Apparently Karl Urban let slip something along the lines of "Ben is doing an awesome job playing Mitchell" or something equally indicative that he's playing Gary Mitchell. (I don't know why I thought his name was Gary Powers.. maybe because he got them? :lol:)

Edited by Chronocidal

yea i gotta agree it seems fishy. Though on one hand, casting that spanish guy for the role that CB now has made sence, since the orginal JH was spanish (and also the first example of The Navy's b*llsh*t method of manning, by making the guy hold at least a dozen different ratings over the course of TOS's run LOL... you know, i was gonna linkie the Original John Harrison from Memory Alpha but some retard already screwed up the entry with the CB's mug...

Hah, now to see if David ever comes to be. ^_^ (Or Genesis, for that matter)

Though, I suppose when you have an almost believeable plot device that can potentially resurrect dead characters, it's understandable that they'd want to re-use it if they can.

Let's just throw a twist in this time though.. have the entire crew die when the Enterprise crash lands there! :p

It was more then just a timeline change, the old timeline is still there - Spock Prime was thrown into an alternate reality and not just thrown back in time.

But the alternate reality/new timeline starts when the Narada goes back in time and attacks the Kelvin. Original Spock doesn't seem to care that this isn't a normal (whatever that would mean) alternate situation but something started by the black hole and the Romulans. It is something that could have been fixed.

But if they tried to fix it, then it would have been about a bunch of old people, minus Scotty, running around doing things while saying funny old people lines, probably clapping endlessly to turn off all the blinding lens flare. Who'd pay to see that?

But if they tried to fix it, then it would have been about a bunch of old people, minus Scotty, running around doing things while saying funny old people lines, probably clapping endlessly to turn off all the blinding lens flare. Who'd pay to see that?

Who's directing?

So the official line goes, but there were enough changes that had to of happened before that for me to say it was a close alternate and never the original.

The events of First Contact and Enterprise are enough to account for any further changes.

It could have been young Kirk, young Scotty, and original Spock. Maybe they get young Spock involved at the end with old Spock's ship. Or even McCoy as a nod to the classic group of Kirk, Spock, and McCoy. Then when things are fixed, we see the voyage of the Enterprise we never saw after the TV show ended. These are all just quick ideas but they (director, producers, etc) had it out to want to see young Kirk and crew on the Enterprise and be faithful to the original series. Which you really can't do without the alternate universe since we've seen the original series and know of young Kirk's adventures before the Enterprise and once on the Enterprise.

So the official line goes, but there were enough changes that had to of happened before that for me to say it was a close alternate and never the original.

It was supposed to be the original. You would be guessing at events we didn't see on screen. My post above goes into this a bit.

It was supposed to be the original. You would be guessing at events we didn't see on screen. My post above goes into this a bit.

It does? Perhaps I am dense. For proof that this MUST be an alternate universe - the Feds know what the Romulans looks like, original series makes it clear they were never seen in person till "Balance of Terror". Even Enterprise does not mess this up - the Romulans were never seen (although they had warp drive, which also puts Enterprise in an alternate universe from the original show)

It does? Perhaps I am dense. For proof that this MUST be an alternate universe - the Feds know what the Romulans looks like, original series makes it clear they were never seen in person till "Balance of Terror". Even Enterprise does not mess this up - the Romulans were never seen (although they had warp drive, which also puts Enterprise in an alternate universe from the original show)

And that stood for the original timeline. Things obviously changed.