color scheme and details don't seem right. It's pretty, but the things I like about the realism of the enterprise doesn't feel captured in this model.

The markings are the same, it's just that the colors are brighter and have more contrast.

Well I think some of that illusion are the decals. But who knows, it's 62 parts, that's more than the 1/1000 Enterprise I built last year.

The markings are the same, it's just that the colors are brighter and have more contrast.

Probably, I think I'm just use to the darkness of space it's surrounded with, not bright lights in a room.

http://trekmovie.com/2013/03/09/shot-by-shot-analysis-of-star-trek-into-darkness-alternative-teaser/

I asked on the site but everyone was too bust bitching to answer me, ill ask here: who thinks the debrie that Kirk space flies though is the remains of Star Fleet ships, possibly the fleet base itself? note the still of the new conny-shaped vessel. possibly the ship that Harrison is seen sitting on his command seat in previous trailers? things are getting interesting, especially in light that some folks dont think that ship that plows into San fransico bay and into the city isn't the JJ-prise

you know, I'm not gonna speculate anything. When this happens ppl first started to think cumberbatch was a new Kahn, that doesn't seem to be the case. ppl think this enterprise is gonna crash and burn and we'll finally get the TV series enterprise, which I hope isn't the case.

thats what i think, now that his ship (or a ship is seen in orbit that looks nothing like the previous Kelvin-ish ships seen in ST2009) has been seen and it looks simular to the SF bay crashing vessel...

• 2 weeks later...

If you think you're going to get me to watch this by flashing this on the screen

attachicon.gifSTID.JPG

then you're a goddamn genius!!!

Actually, it just gets me to go to the google image search to see what film I *really* want to *see* her in....

The answer to that question is

Crossing Over

I can understand the fanboy whining to a certain degree. This certainly isn't Roddenberry's "Star Trek", but with him gone all anybody could do is emulate him anyway. It's pretty clear that before his death, Roddenberry was becoming increasingly unhappy about the more militaristic tone that was being taken with Trek and Starfleet, especially in the films, but if you believe what is written, the last Trek project that he had the most control over was the first Trek film. (And most fanboys whine about that film too)

Ultimately, the fanboys can whine as much as they want, but it has to be remembered that "The Wrath of Khan", the most violent and least exploration-based Trek project up until that point, brought the franchise back from the dead. It is still the most popular Trek film ever and even though "Into Darkness" is not a direct remake by the looks of it, it certainly seems to be trying to achieve the same sort of impact.

Ultimately, the fanboys can whine as much as they want, but it has to be remembered that "The Wrath of Khan", the most violent and least exploration-based Trek project up until that point, brought the franchise back from the dead. It is still the most popular Trek film ever and even though "Into Darkness" is not a direct remake by the looks of it, it certainly seems to be trying to achieve the same sort of impact.

Start Trek IV was very popular too, part V could of had them at a zoo and saving Pandas or something. Point is, original Trek was very varied in stories, but always with some key moral/ethical point in focus. IV had environmental stuff for exapmple - and yes even II had it - remember "Genesis Project" and the implications that were being discussed. New ST, hmmm... lets see.... don't do time travel?

Going crash, boom, bang just puts Star Trek in the same pile of shows with this concept, nothing to alienate it, to put it above other shows...

ok... so who the hell is John Harrison? and what did Section 31 do that totally pissed him off?

http://badrobot.com/stid/twitter/

even more mind blowing sh*t. Battle damage at warp speed... it seems that JJ likes sucking out helpless red shirts in spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace. I swear im gonna have erectile disfunctions by the time this movie is out, im so mecharosed...

Start Trek IV was very popular too, part V could of had them at a zoo and saving Pandas or something. Point is, original Trek was very varied in stories, but always with some key moral/ethical point in focus. IV had environmental stuff for exapmple - and yes even II had it - remember "Genesis Project" and the implications that were being discussed. New ST, hmmm... lets see.... don't do time travel?

Going crash, boom, bang just puts Star Trek in the same pile of shows with this concept, nothing to alienate it, to put it above other shows...

That's why I think Star Trek is a property made for TV. The diminishing numbers of fans that go to the movies to see what Star Trek is suppose to be shows that a 2 hour movie just isn't enough time to involve people to a deeper story. But yet shows like Mad Men, Breaking Bad and Justified have that slow boiler type of storylines that really attract viewers. Even Galactica had a good balance of story depth and adventure. Maybe they should have 12 episodes seasons for Star Trek that explore one full mission instead. But at the same time if people keep seeing the Abrams version, it'll be too much to have 2 running storylines with the same characters.

When you look at the numbers, The Original Star Trek movie had better returns than The Abrams version. The original almost tripled it's production budget domestically (Probably more than quadrupled worldwide) and the last ST just passed the double mark.

Man, lots of whining on the interwebs over the new Star Trek movie trailers and posters. "That's not Star Trek!" They're right, its not; this has balls. The new prime directive: kick ass!

They haven't even seen it yet, what's there to whine about? Jesus they sound like a bunch of guys on an animation message board waiting for a new transformable toy from a small Japenese company to debut...

That's why I think Star Trek is a property made for TV. The diminishing numbers of fans that go to the movies to see what Star Trek is suppose to be shows that a 2 hour movie just isn't enough time to involve people to a deeper story. But yet shows like Mad Men, Breaking Bad and Justified have that slow boiler type of storylines that really attract viewers. Even Galactica had a good balance of story depth and adventure. Maybe they should have 12 episodes seasons for Star Trek that explore one full mission instead. But at the same time if people keep seeing the Abrams version, it'll be too much to have 2 running storylines with the same characters.

When you look at the numbers, The Original Star Trek movie had better returns than The Abrams version. The original almost tripled it's production budget domestically (Probably more than quadrupled worldwide) and the last ST just passed the double mark.

It is true, the very "episodic" nature of the original Trek that was pretty much carried over into most of the other TV series (yes, I know that there were exceptions) really did limit the show in a lot of ways. You generally knew that by the end of the episode things were going to be "back to normal" or as they were at the start of the episode, with *very* little room for true storyline development. Of course, when the original Trek series was on in the 1960's, I think most TV shows operated in this way. Its a pity that this anchor from the past carried over into the new TV versions.

That's one of the fundamental reasons why anime appealed to me from an early age, with plot and storyline development being commonplace......

I wonder if Section 31 is involved with story somehow.

I actually enjoyed the Section 31 and Mirror Universe stories, even though I don't think they are considered canon...

It is true, the very "episodic" nature of the original Trek that was pretty much carried over into most of the other TV series (yes, I know that there were exceptions) really did limit the show in a lot of ways. You generally knew that by the end of the episode things were going to be "back to normal" or as they were at the start of the episode, with *very* little room for true storyline development. Of course, when the original Trek series was on in the 1960's, I think most TV shows operated in this way. Its a pity that this anchor from the past carried over into the new TV versions.

That's one of the fundamental reasons why anime appealed to me from an early age, with plot and storyline development being commonplace......

Totally agree. Space Battleship Yamato is a prime example of ST done right.

Upon closer frame by frame examination from that trailer, or at least play/pause/play, the Enterprise IS heavily damaged and re-entering the atmosphere. You can make out the NCC-1701 on the saucer section just as it's ripping away. It also looked like the starboard warp nacelle was shot to hell, but the forward part of the port nacelle was intact. A couple frames forward: we see a starship crashing into the bay with ... not JJ'prise nacelles. They do, however, look a LOT like the refit Enterprise nacelles from TMP: rectangular. I also thought that the angle of the nacelles seemed a bit lower/flatter than those of the JJprise. Whatever it was, it seemed HUGE. I mean, as I saw it crush a lighthouse, it's size seemed closer to what I'd thought a Galaxy class was.

Edit: ok, I just noticed Dobber said the same thing about the nacelles a few pages back. One other possible difference I noticed was at the point where it crushed the lighthouse, the main deflector did not look like the Enterprise's dish but more like an inset deflector array a'la the Excelsior.

Edited by rotorhead