Much as I would hate to see another Enterprise axed this year, I'm plenty happy saying goodbye to the first JJprise. I just hope when she gets reborn, she's more recognizable. And hopefully, not so freaking huge... the lack of any sense of scale, be it ships, transporter tech, or galactic travel distances, really screwed with suspension of disbelief in the first movie.

I'm hoping this will be used as an excuse to fix the ship's proportions. Really, my only problem with the first movie was that the ship just looks weird from most angles. I don't have a problem with her "ample" nacelles, though. Matt Jeffries wanted the original to look like a hot rod, and the current ship pulls that off, well. Besides, anything is better than the boxes the refit got.

I just want an engine room, not a brewery.

This would be nice, too. The concept sketches they made for the engineering parts of the ship were fantastic. There's at least one that I remember could have been done with a small, open set, and a good digital matte.

The Enterprise(s) have a bad survival track record in general (50%): :D

1701: Self Destructed

1701-C: Destroyed by Rommies ... transported to the future ! .... then sent back to the past to be destroyed.

1701-D: Owned by an outdated and outclassed Bird of Prey, though with heaving amounts of cheating.

With A, B, and E surviving.

1701-D: Owned by an outdated and outclassed Bird of Prey, though with heaving amounts of cheating.

Of all plot-holes in Trek-battles, this is the most egregious. "Let's sit here and take it for minutes on end while we try to drop their weak old shields via technobabble---instead of just firing our massive array of top-of-the-line weaponry and hammering it into pieces right now" They vaporized it with a single torpedo---it wouldn't have taken a whole lot more to drop the shields first with other torps and phasers---about two second's worth of weapons fire from "Best of Both Worlds part 2"

1701-C: Destroyed by Rommies ... transported to the future ! .... then sent back to the past to be destroyed.

A, B, and E didn't exactly have the most pleasant service lives either.

1701-A was kind of a piece of junk in 5 (bad movie aside) and was trashed to the point it had to be decommissioned at the end of 6.

1701-B was trashed it's first day out of Spacedock.

1701-E was almost assimilated in First Contact, had to eject it's warp core in Insurrection, and was pretty well trashed before it had to ram the Scimitar in Nemesis.

It just seems like the name was really bad luck for a Starship.

Edited by mecha2241

Yes, but technically the D survived that battle. It was in Generations that it actually was destroyed.

Don't forget the original Enterprise (from Enterprise) survived too. That's 4 to three.

1701-A was kind of a piece of junk in 5 (bad movie aside) and was trashed to the point it had to be decommissioned at the end of 6.

1701-E was almost assimilated in First Contact, had to eject it's warp core in Insurrection, and was pretty well trashed before it had to ram the Scimitar in Nemesis.

The A was technically a refitted decommissioned USS York, and all through ST6 they kept putting off contacting Starfleet by claiming there were things wrong with the ship preventing communication or warp speed that actually weren't true. Really the A worked fine, other than a few smoldering holes in the saucer section by the end, and it was all of the lies and misbehavior (and the fact Starfleet was upgrading the fleet and the Constitution Classes were OLD) that finally got it canned. Yes, in 5 it was buggy (and it's not as bad as movie as people claim.)

Other than a big hole in the side of the lower hull the B was able to keep flying, not really that bad in the grand scheme of things.

While the E got trashed she kept flying. That's all that counts.

If you want to talk about all of the times an Enterprise wasn't shot up in the movies though, there's Star Trek The Motion Picture and Star Trek V. If you've got the budget (and STV had the lowest of any Star Trek Movie) why not show a couple of lumbering vehicles slugging it out?

> Yes, but technically the D survived that battle. It was in Generations that it actually was destroyed.

That *IS* the battle in Generations. Which Warbird battle are you thinking of? The one from "Yesterday's Enterprise"? Although they look like the old warbirds it is never mentioned if they are the old model or newer ones.

> Yes, but technically the D survived that battle. It was in Generations that it actually was destroyed.

That *IS* the battle in Generations. Which Warbird battle are you thinking of? The one from "Yesterday's Enterprise"? Although they look like the old warbirds it is never mentioned if they are the old model or newer ones.

Yeah, you're right. Lack of sleep. My other points still hold up though.

Actually, considering all that went on during TNG, the D probably has the absolute worst record of all of them.

I'd love to see how many times that ship was actually destroyed over the course of the series. Off the top of my head, it blew up three times in All Good Things, a couple during that energy transfer mishap with the Romulans, at least one blew up when all the parallel versions showed up in one spot of space.. it definitely blew up when the Enterprise C escaped.. and let's not forget the "once a commercial break" explodaganza involving the time loop, which was I think four times on-screen, but supposed to be closer to 20 in-universe.

The Nimbus has more bad luck, I think.

The Grissom is was the biggest pussy in the Star Trek universe......

I just want an engine room, not a brewery.

Bah, nerdrage. The really silly part was the "eject the warp core" bit and about fifty of them pop out.

Edited by taksraven

No, just a BAD captain.

we don't call and engine "engines" even though it has 4 or more cylinders...

Uhm, cylinders are part of the engine.

Now, if the anti-matter storage pods are ejected at the same time, I can appreciate that. But we don't see something that can be definitively agreed upon as the core, right? All in all, it's not the clearest sequence...

Uhm, cylinders are part of the engine.

A nuclear pile then. Closest real life thing. Even though it is singular it refers to many blocks or rods. Original warp core would have been one, and the name stuck when more then one was used. (why am I even going on, could be I'm just a nerd)

The TNG/VOY era ships had a more elegant way though---dump the whole thing vertically out through a hatch in the bottom. Quick and easy.

(of course, early Constitution class ships had horizontal cores IIRC, so they couldn't do that---might have had to toss it out piece by piece----though IMHO separating it into chunks is probably just as dangerous as whatever situation would cause you to want to eject it in the first place----the "main" reason would be a breach or uncontrollable reaction----tossing out the whole thing "intact but uunplugged" seems to be the fastest, safest way to solve that problem---trying to separate the chamber(s) into pieces while the reaction's going on inside seems likely to just make things worse--better hope some serious seals/bulkheads are involved)

Not sure I remember entirely correctly, but I think the refit 1701 had vertical and horizontal components to the core. I remember at least one scene involving the vertical core, but then there also being a long segment running the length of main engineering.

And really, if you're running the core lengthwise down the keel of the ship, it should be relatively easy to just eject the whole thing directly backwards, which is what I think happened in the reboot.

The TNG/VOY era ships had a more elegant way though---dump the whole thing vertically out through a hatch in the bottom. Quick and easy.

That makes sense if you're close enough to a planet to get gravity to work for you. Really bad news for anyone below you though.

Not sure I remember entirely correctly, but I think the refit 1701 had vertical and horizontal components to the core. I remember at least one scene involving the vertical core, but then there also being a long segment running the length of main engineering.

Your right, the elevator went by part of it and that long hallway was the other part (or at least it was engineering, no telling what it was actually supposed to be...)

Edited by Dynaman

Surely I'm not the only one hoping the Enterprise is utterly destroyed, and we get 1701-A in the next movie, that looks better/more like the true Ent-A? Or heck, make it an Excelsior-class----they're already re-writing plenty of future history anyways. :)

I'm right there with you, I nearly cried tears of joy when I saw the image stills. :D

-Kyp

I dont understand the hate of the new enterprise. It looks like a enterprise as far as im concerned. Of course I still get the excitement of the possibility of a new enterprise. :ph34r:

From the bent warp nacell pylons, to the fact that they sit way too close together, the weird shape of the secondary hull, and the fact that the star drive section of the ship itself doesn't really match the movie refit like saucer section all add up to eye rape as far as I'm concerned. In the most basic sense, yes, the shape is like the Enterprise, if I had poor eyesight and sqwinted, that is.

It's a prime example of change just for the sake of change with not only NO improvement over the TOS ship, let alone the movie refit version, but it's change for the worst in almost every way possible. It's amost as if their goal was to make a ship that was baiscally shaped like the Enterprise, but at the same time done as to be as aesthetically crappy as possible when viewed from almost any angle.

Mission acomplished, as far as I'm concerned. :rolleyes:

Like I said, I for one was amost moved to tears to

see this bag of shat crashland into Sanfransico Bay and into a building or two.

I hope it's damaged beyond repair and they actually get a designer who knows how to make a ship look good from almost any angle. At this point, I don't care if it looks NOTHING like the Enterprise at ALL and looks like it has more in common with the BSG Galactica instead. Either way, it would be a HUGE improvement in my honest opinion.

-Kyp

Edited by Kyp Durron

Still not convinced it IS the Enterprise that we see crashing into the bay in the trailers. Look at the nacell spacing and the shape as well. Looks a lot different.

Chris

Surely I'm not the only one hoping the Enterprise is utterly destroyed, and we get 1701-A in the next movie, that looks better/more like the true Ent-A? Or heck, make it an Excelsior-class----they're already re-writing plenty of future history anyways. :)

In keeping with ST, the Enterprise-A was simply a refit version of the Constitution Class, the only change I want is the bridge to get rid of the Motorola and Honeywell barcode scanners that are used as pointless props.