Bandai 1/72 fully transform able VF-1 plastic kit for Macross 30th Ann

Vi-RS

I find incoherent Bandais reasoning to follow and do an extremely difficult engineering lineart to try and keep anime accuracy for the leg transformation and then botch the panel lines and obvious dimensions. That is just lazy rushed job.

Kawamori's approval or not, is a fugly model and Bandai screwed it big time. This will probably end as a beginners kit like the old Imai kit have become before going into Hasegawas.

You know guys, the nose doesn't look weird to me anymore.

b0055614_13525249.jpg

b0055614_1351381.jpg

I will get this sucker and the options pack, but keep it naked since I don't like Bandai's strike packs (they mount farther back than the yamatos and it looks funny)

Edited by Duymon

Looks like they are recycling the dyrl boxset boxart....

So, this kit is already molded with the correct colors? Why sell a focker version if it were not?

Bandai sure knows how to sell their wares! Loved that piece of propaganda!

The kit is moulded in white with red chest piece, I assume. They will go for the Roy version with a new box art and decal sheet.

The mechanism is definitely the first of its kind.

From Hobby Japan July

attachicon.gifvf-1-72n3.jpg

/Face Palm.... Look at how the gunpod is stored in fighter. I noticed it was hanging low in that video and it reminded me of how they mount the gunpod in the VF-25 Armored and tornado releases.

Then.......

00_img130402b.jpg

DAMN YOU BANDAI for not figuring out how to mount a gunpod without extra HUGE UGLY grey Parts!

Will be installing magnets in the arms and in the gunpod so I can stow it normally

/nerd rage

Edited by Duymon

I dunno, I always had trouble with the gunpod on my Yammies, maybe nobody can figure that one out.

But what's next on the complaint roster? The fact that they used green instead of blue for the starboard ventral formation light? :lol:

Anyway, that video pretty much seals it for me: I'm buying at least one. After I buy and finish that Nirvash kit I can't seem to find.

And then, it suddenly looks awesome. Maybe a video showing the real model would be more useful than a CG model in action. Anyways makes me get one at less, although I'm not a models guy.

Edited by Froy

Good catch. It's unbelievable at the same time to have such lazy mounting method considering other gimmicks that they have put in.

Maybe it's just that - they couldn't get a better mounting method without compromising the other gimmicks? The hands do fold into their wrists - right where the space for the gun pod's handle is needed, no?

And before anyone puts too much thought into it - Bandai has been mounting gun pods to their VFs like that for years.

Edited by sketchley

But what's next on the complaint roster? The fact that they used green instead of blue for the starboard ventral formation light? :lol:

ZOMG WRONG COLORED LIGHTS!?!? WORST frakkING TOY/MODEL/THING EVER IN THE HISTORY OF FOREVER!!!! frakk YOU BANDAI!!!!111!!moreexcessivepunctuation!11

honestly though, I don't care how the sculpt looks at all anymore. I'll be buying one when the VF-1J model comes out just to gawk at the mechanical structure. (waiting on the 1J because the head on that one looks a lot better).

As for the big old Gunpod clip: maybe it's part of the stand adapter.

Bandai sure knows how to promote themselves, that CGI transformation is very cool.

Leg transformation mechanism looks awesome but super fragile, so many moving pieces, specially the piston like piece, will it be diecast?

Still not gonna get it. Knowing Bandai, they probably later release an improved panel lined/dimension/gunpod mount version.

It sure stood out to me, and if it's molded in that color, it'd be very hard to change. It'll REALLY stand on a Millia.

I'm sold and it would be great to compare it to the one they made in the 80's.

But people will still complain, and as I always say don't complain unless you can do a better job. It takes a lot of engineering to get these things right. And they are trying to re-create anime magic. And for an affordable price.

But I like them and they should be an easy job for custom paint jobs. And probably take less work then that Yammie kit.

that's my 2 cents worth anyway

You know guys, the nose doesn't look weird to me anymore.

b0055614_13525249.jpg

the nosecone is too stubby and far too steep in it's taper, IMHO. also, frontal gear is in the wrong place. (how the HELL is that thing supposed to fold closed?!?)

and the tail fins look really screwed up too... :angry:

Edited by Shaorin

The nose gear is too far back. It should be more forward by teh small antenna hanging down.. Theres also no launch hook on the nose gear and the other gear doors arent present. Also the front gear door is not placed at the right angle so it throws the whole thing off.

The overall nose however is off looking in its shape yet i think it is closer to the animated ones seen in 82/83 than the ones we have become used to seeing in the latest series and video games. Those are closer to hasegawa in proportion.

Sorry, still think the FAST packs are way too small and way too far back compared with Kawamori's line art

And would have preferred all the back and red trim to be molded on colors.

Easy pass. I'll stick with my Yammies / Arcadias.

Graham

The nose gear is too far back. It should be more forward by teh small antenna hanging down.. Theres also no launch hook on the nose gear and the other gear doors arent present. Also the front gear door is not placed at the right angle so it throws the whole thing off.

The overall nose however is off looking in its shape yet i think it is closer to the animated ones seen in 82/83 than the ones we have become used to seeing in the latest series and video games. Those are closer to hasegawa in proportion.

There is a launch bar there, but in the complete opposite of some of the Yamato valks, this one's so short you can barely see it between the front tires. But yeah, the gear is mounted so far back under the cockpit, it throws the whole thing off, even if you ignore the ridiculous length of it. Looks kinda like someone hired a clown to make balloon landing gear. On the other hand, the rear gear look like they're made of toothpicks. Better hope you're not actually ever landing on a carrier. :p

I think what's really throwing it off in the side view is the angles of everything though. If the tail section was lifted up to the right position, it'd do a world of good. The nose profile seems off because there's a hump ahead of the canopy, instead of a smooth transition to the nose. Probably because of the waist joint they seem to have added.

What I can't figure out though is why the lower legs look absolutely huge. I think it's partly because this version has practically no lower thigh section at all, but they just look weird. They work in battroid I guess, but it makes the knees appear much higher than they should be.

Edit: Also.. someone please tell me there's a picture with strike packs that shows you can actually close the kneecaps with the legs dropped. That computer image with the packs probably has them sticking out just because someone forgot to pose them right in the model, but since they seem mounted at the lower edge, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they can't close with the knees bent.

Edited by Chronocidal