Bandai 1/60 DX Chogokin Macross Plus YF-21

Berkut

1 hour ago, no3Ljm said:

That rotating feet/ankle solution, I wonder how it will hold, if it's ratcheted, or if there's a locking system? I don't want it displayed in Battroid to become loose on that joint and droops and fall down on its face. Yikes.

1 hour ago, Mog said:

Why do you think they’re always displaying it on the stand? 😛

dx-yf21.jpg.a51c1e6b40756f6067312743eedc718a.jpg

:bump:

:5:

Yeah, I'm going to wait for them to display a new prototype.  That thing is so old at this point, it's literally falling apart.

Not that I expect them to actually change anything.  This is Bandai we're talking about here. :p 

Edited by Chronocidal

On 7/30/2023 at 5:49 PM, twich said:

Watching this video, I am very impressed by this DX YF-21. The tampo does not bother me, the belly plates do not have glaring gaps, I remember first getting the Yamato 1/72 YF-21 Fast Pack toy when it first came out and couldn’t help thinking it looked like a rear end jacked up muscle car……look how far better this is?

there will always be things that not everyone will like, but I sure am glad that I will be getting the opportunity to own a 1/60ish scale YF-21, when Bandai releases this beast!

Twich

Likewise. I think the tampo is a bit overdone, and it is a bit thick on top, but as long as the joints are tight (hopefully well-tempered ratchets throughout) and it can hold poses as well as its own weight, I'm sold.

22 hours ago, jenius said:

There's something very curious happening with the lower leg. I wonder if it pivots instead of sliding out to extend. 

13 hours ago, Shawn said:

I think I agree with that...sort of like the vf-1 battroids arms and the rotating hands come out, but reversed for the feet
that looks like a hinge at the top

image.png.6a4d3fcfc5f7faa2de0052d382a8f778.png

11 hours ago, MKT said:

The whole rotating lower leg is an Interesting solution to how Bandai solve fitting the very lanky legs into the belly of Fighter.

By making them disappear completely into the calves, there’s more space for longer hips.

It also looks like the hips are also on a rotating joint to make them positioned higher in Battroid like its YF-19 counterpart.

Astute observations, all.  It's an interesting solution to shortening the legs in fighter, and FWIW I think you guys are right. I hope there are plenty more clever engineering surprises and solutions in this thing. That's always a major part of the joy of transforming toys- discovering ingenious new ways and methods of accomplishing the conversion or elements thereof.

22 hours ago, MKT said:

If Arcadia ever gives us the YF-21 with updated engineering, I actually don't mind if they keep the Yamato proportions intact, but give us another pair of chunky legs to swap in. :p Removable legs are already there with the delimiter mode. 

Yeahh its major parts-forming, but I see it as similar to how Bandai gives another pair shorter, line-art accurate wings for their HMR VF-1 & VF-0.

Nah, I think they could modify the Yamato design to accommodate thicker legs without resorting to parts-forming. Unless they came up with some leg-slimming solution, it would undoubtedly result in a thicker exhaust section, but that's a concession I'd happily accept for a battroid mode with proportional legs. The belly plates would likely need modding to account for the additional width, as well, but IMHO, it'd be worth it. Too, I would hope they'd swap out those floppy hip joints for some ratchets. The last one is probably an ask too many.

4 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

That rotating feet/ankle solution, I wonder how it will hold, if it's ratcheted, or if there's a locking system? I don't want it displayed in Battroid to become loose on that joint and droops and fall down on its face. Yikes.

Man, I hope it has strong ratchets that can easily bear the weight regardless of pose. If they are indeed releasing it, I really want it to be well-executed.

I really want to believe that fighter mode is actually more trim in person and "chunkness" has to do with odd camera angles. Bandai might be insane enough to do a V2 if there is enough push-back...

...possibly??

We'll see,,,

11 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

Astute observations, all.  It's an interesting solution to shortening the legs in fighter, and FWIW I think you guys are right. I hope there are plenty more clever engineering surprises and solutions in this thing. That's always a major part of the joy of transforming toys- discovering ingenious new ways and methods of accomplishing the conversion or elements thereof.

I just wonder how acceptable will it be to fans if Bandai diverges too much from canon transformation. The belly plates, lower leg and now possibly the hands are going to be different from what has been worked out in the line-art.
I am personally ok with these changes so long as the everything is generally in the same position, considering the amount of anime magic involved for this VF. 

9 hours ago, kajnrig said:

Honestly, the only thing that keeps getting to me is that DAAANG OOOL' SEEEAAAM LIIINE running the entire length of the lower leg. Like a dancer in a dangerously high cut dress. 😳

Don’t you mean this @kajnrig🤣
D794019C-988A-4F8A-9CAC-1FD0984CEB77.webp.bc12b0ac1d487582a45ca3b0e5c22cc8.webp

I know that you’re actually referring to the Tango/Flamenco/Pasa Doble dancers. 

1 hour ago, MKT said:

I just wonder how acceptable will it be to fans if Bandai diverges too much from canon transformation. The belly plates, lower leg and now possibly the hands are going to be different from what has been worked out in the line-art.
I am personally ok with these changes so long as the everything is generally in the same position, considering the amount of anime magic involved for this VF. 

Likewise. 

10 hours ago, kajnrig said:

Honestly, the only thing that keeps getting to me is that DAAANG OOOL' SEEEAAAM LIIINE running the entire length of the lower leg. Like a dancer in a dangerously high cut dress. 😳

I just see it as the standard way of building toys- opposing molds that come together. Hopefully the final versions will be more refined; I mean, look at what they can accomplish with their Gundam models- nigh seamless, the molds are so precise. One would hope a high-end toy would be at least as well done, but then again, this is Macross, not Gundam. Different standards apply.

2 hours ago, borgified said:

Don’t you mean this @kajnrig🤣

Gosh is it getting hot in here? :lol:

58 minutes ago, M'Kyuun said:

One would hope a high-end toy would be at least as well done, but then again, this is Macross, not Gundam. Different standards apply.

In my experience, Bandai have actually tended to put more effort into their not-Gundam brands than they do Gundam, probably at least partly because they can be pretty sure the latter will sell on sheer inertia, whereas the former stuff needs a bit more... "oomph." Or maybe it's just me seeing things.

On 8/1/2023 at 12:26 PM, MKT said:

Personally, I'm not too bothered with how it gets to a particular mode as long as the end result is the mode looking right. So far, it's not achieving that and falling way short. 

I'm still holding out hope that a new prototype wasn't ready to be shown yet so they showed the same old prototype we've already seen for years.

I love the YF-21/VF-22 and would like to see Bandai do it justice.

Of the same mind really.  I think once they get a proper posable prototype it'll drastically improve the presentation in battroid, at least.

If it turns into a lemon like the Sv-262, I might pick up a handful for modding and experimentation.  I really think giving it longer arms would help a lot of my problems with it in both fighter and battroid.

I'll get one for curiosity like I always do with new Valk attempts despite not really liking the look in any mode.  At the very least Bandai is always good for something that poses well though.  I'll probably be able to wrest a cool pose from it even if the Battroid mode is a bit wonky.

On 8/4/2023 at 10:35 AM, Bolt said:

This thing is on crutches! :p Limping out to be on display..

I can see a v2 coming to haunt our wallets..:lol:

It’s the osteoporosis version of the DX VF-21 to be exact as it needs two crutches to keep it stabilized or that the combination of alloys isn’t compatible to keep it skeletal frame up to tolerances. 

Edit: Re-Versed medical terminology.

Edited by borgified

11 hours ago, badboy00z said:

Just found this fan art of full frontal of the YF-21 Battroid. Anyone want to photoshop a comparison? 

105087531_p0_master1200.jpg

Not really, the comparison is too depressing. :p  

I would wait for a new prototype before doing any comparisons anyhow, because that display model is a limp ragdoll and falling to pieces.  (And there is no way those whimpy arms are going to compare favorably to any lineart.)

13 hours ago, badboy00z said:

Just found this fan art of full frontal of the YF-21 Battroid. Anyone want to photoshop a comparison? 

*snip*

Just for kicks? Sure, why not? :spiteful:

YF-21 Fan art. Mirrored image of DX YF-21. Comparison with Yamato's 1/60 YF-21. And Yamato 1/60 YF-21.

yf-21.jpg.0c7dd91f60e81e733a3294565ce27e5a.jpg

These images used for comparison were taken from @Reïvaj's post back in 2019.

Because the key for the transformable YF-21 would be to look good in all three modes. . . and the lineart wouldn’t be able to pull off a good fighter mode . . . without heaps of anime magic.

On 8/7/2023 at 1:17 PM, badboy00z said:

105087531_p0_master1200.jpg

When I see this pic I would almost prefer an HMR scale instead of a DX.

Edited by scand

1 hour ago, scand said:

When I see this pic I would almost prefer an HMR scale instead of a DX.

Aren't we all? So close, yet so far. :rolleyes:

SPdMSA0.jpg

To be honest, I can't remember now what year this YF-21 prototype was originally published. :unsure:

That HM prototype in battroid actually looks pretty different from line-art.

But purely on its own aesthetics it looks nice & the most well balanced in battroid & it’s other 2 modes from the angles presented.

12 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Honestly, at this point?  I'm tempted to buy a Bandai version just for the legs, and hack them up so I can swap them onto the Yamato YF-21 for battroid, and be done with the whole mess. :p 

I remember @Kurisama mentioned that he is planning on doing swappable legs for Yamato's 21/22 years ago.

5 minutes ago, MKT said:

That HM prototype in battroid actually looks pretty different from line-art.

But purely on its own aesthetics it looks nice & the most well balanced in battroid & it’s other 2 modes from the angles presented.

I already gave up on wanting a YF-21 figure that is lineart accurate. Because truth be told, it's not going to happen. The only way to have an anime/lineart accurate for YF-21 is make them partsformer. Remove the legs, we can have a sleek profile in Fighter. :rolleyes:

This is why I'm curious to see the upcoming Bandai's 1/100 YF-21 transforming model kit. If all modes is going to end up as close to the lineart. Because if it is, I'm pretty sure there will be some third parties out there who's going to scale it up in 3D towards 1/60 scale. Then, we're going to have a lineart accurate YF-21 sans perfect transformation gimmick. Because, why not? :spiteful: