DX Chogokin VF-171EX Alto - Revival ver. WWM Release

MKT

What we know so far:

1. Matte finishing as per all Chogokin revivals.

2. Extra new tampo on the armored parts.

3. Contents list:

・VF-171EX body
• 3 pairs of interchangeable hands (L/R)
• Gunpod
• Pilot figure
・Replacement antenna (hard)
・Wrist cover left and right
・ A set of armored parts
・ Anti-Vajra MDE particle anti-gravity cannon / 30mm MDE cannon matrix AVPAGC / MEDC30-EX-A
・Large anti-ship missile for anti-aircraft carrier Sentinel AVM-11R quadruple
・Medium-range anti-aircraft missile Befores AAMM-05D × 2
・Sentinel FXA-60A high-speed armor-piercing rocket 6-tube pod x 2
・ Short-range high-mobility anti-aircraft missile LAI / AAMS-02A triple × 2
• Dedicated stand

It doesn't mention an extra pair of wings, so naturally the ones with hardpoint will be the default. Hopefully the mushroom pegs have been re-engineered in some way so the wings are permanent, or if removable, make it durable enough so the pegs don't break. Hopefully the wings fit flush to the wing root like the Fighter promo pics.

3 hours ago, MKT said:

Those mushroom pegs? They do look different, somewhat thicker..

Those aren't the mushroom pegs, those are the removable pegs that you pulled out to swap the wings.  It doesn't look any different than what's on the old version.

ss(2023-08-24at09_51.31).jpg.f694cb2896257db2d69241be8981564f.jpg

The "mushroom" peg is the one on the left, and is the actual pivot point of the wing.  The cap on that peg is generally very easy to snap off when removing the wings, but it doesn't actually matter most of the time, since most of the force of holding the wing on is done by the larger removable peg on the right (provided it actually stays in, of course).

Sad to see there's really no improvements other than the finish though.  The 171s never were really missing any markings to begin with, but if they really wanted to improve them, all of the changes should have been made to the armor packs.  I don't know if the chest panels were ever shown to open, but they could have at least added working hatches to the quad pack on the arm.

Edited by Chronocidal

Thanks for explaining & recapping (intentional pun :p) @Chronocidal.
I really forgot which peg is which, as I’ve never touched that area after a  peg on my Alto sheared off from the first wing I tried to remove years ago when I thought to install the armor. I didn’t proceed with the other wing so the whole armor never made onto the toy.

Gonna get one. As my old one yellowed, so I threw it out.

But I really hope they have improved the removeable wing peg and the black triangles.

Overall, I remember being incredibly excited for the VF-171 toys when they were first announced, and then being extremely frustrated with all the issues that the toys had once they were released.

And yes, we need a reissue of the Ozma VF-25S and Armored Pack.

I was thinking... the new Frontier re-releases they all have a matt finish. The reason behind that is, from what i understood, that the extra layer would prevent the plastic from yellowing. But if that's the case i don't think that the new VF-1s (angel bird for example) actually have that kind of protection, right? I might be wrong but if the reason is really the yellowing i find it weird they don't use it on every other VFs....

5 minutes ago, Robin-11 said:

I was thinking... the new Frontier re-releases they all have a matt finish. The reason behind that is, from what i understood, that the extra layer would prevent the plastic from yellowing. But if that's the case i don't think that the new VF-1s (angel bird for example) actually have that kind of protection, right? I might be wrong but if the reason is really the yellowing i find it weird they don't use it on every other VFs....

matt preventing plastic from yellowing? i didnt hear of that before...

my cynical side opines the re-releases are matt because bandai's factory ran out of gloss or was too costly or switched to a cheaper factory ...🤪

25 minutes ago, seti88 said:

matt preventing plastic from yellowing? i didnt hear of that before...

my cynical side opines the re-releases are matt because bandai's factory ran out of gloss or was too costly or switched to a cheaper factory ...🤪

I was under the impression that there was some kind of protective particles on that finish. Therefore, the application on the the re-releases...but maybe i was wrong and i  just made everything up :(  In any case the question still stands, why only on the Frontier VF?

Edited by Robin-11

1 hour ago, Robin-11 said:

I think that was the speculation when the Chogokin VF-31J & VF-1J first came out, even when it was starting to be documented that the older matte-finished YF-30 were no better at yellowing resistance than the glossy ones.

But after some years and many Chogokin releases later, the matte finish does absolute nuts to stave off yellowing compared to the glossy ones. It's just Bandai's plastic formulation.

1 hour ago, Robin-11 said:

I see, then i guess i am really going nuts...anyway, just out of curiosity, do you guys like the new matt finish or you prefer the old traditional glossy one? 

Maybe time to make a poll to take some votes (unless there was one done before i cant recall, lol).

1 hour ago, PsYcHoDyNaMiX said:

Maybe time to make a poll to take some votes (unless there was one done before i cant recall, lol).

That's a great idea actually. I have no clue of how to do it though so if somebody wants to take on the burden please feel free to do it.

I don't know a whole lot about this plane or pilot but I'm guessing this is a Bandai SOC 1/48 version of the one Yamato made is that correct? and another MWW festival one to boot I'm guessing. Anyone know what the pricing is going to be? Thx

i been kind of out of the loop on these revivals.  are they basically the same as the renewals with matte plastic instead of glossy?  to be honest i prefer matte quite a bit but i dont' think i want to replace ALL my frontier valks lol.  if they do the canon fodder i might replace those because .... you know triangles and stuff.  they've been back in their boxes for most of a decade now (not sure when lol) and i feel like i i take them out i'm gonna discover some broken bits.  ahha.  ouf of all the canon fodder in macross to do a mini troop build (3 of them), i picked that one!  lol.  anyway, i've always loved the 171 design especially in battroid mode so i'll be keeping an eye out for 171 revivals but don't think i need a matte alto.  we'll see if that changes. haha

15 minutes ago, Spark-O-Matic said:

I would like to know why people keep saying they are using Yamato molds this implies they are somehow legit.  it's very unlikely they are using the molds the past reviews prove the differences are too many to be so. It was a toy made from scan toys. Unofficial, unlicenced and not a 3rd party. The toy is a knockoff and the casting molds are knockoffs too. It's at best " Arcadia Scale":D

wrong thread? 

59 minutes ago, Spark-O-Matic said:

I don't know a whole lot about this plane or pilot but I'm guessing this is a Bandai SOC 1/48 version of the one Yamato made is that correct? and another MWW festival one to boot I'm guessing. Anyone know what the pricing is going to be? Thx

Yamato has never made a VF-171, or any valks from Frontier. Perhaps you are thinking of Yamato's VF-17 from Macross 7? This Bandai VF-171 is unofficially 1/60, and yes it is WWM. Looking at the announced Yen pricing, I'm casually speculating that it will be circa USD300 when US stores starts their PO in about a week or two. 

4 hours ago, Robin-11 said:

I see, then i guess i am really going nuts...anyway, just out of curiosity, do you guys like the new matt finish or you prefer the old traditional glossy one? 

I thought it would be an easy answer for me, ie matte finish, but at some level I do like glossy finish. The teal CF VF-171 is one which looks great as it is:

VF-171CFflightmotionNRM2-b2nt.jpg.86cb2348975a785a801b36c488fe85a7.jpg

12 hours ago, MKT said:

Yamato has never made a VF-171, or any valks from Frontier. Perhaps you are thinking of Yamato's VF-17 from Macross 7? This Bandai VF-171 is unofficially 1/60, and yes it is WWM. Looking at the announced Yen pricing, I'm casually speculating that it will be circa USD300 when US stores starts their PO in about a week or two. 

I thought it would be an easy answer for me, ie matte finish, but at some level I do like glossy finish. The teal CF VF-171 is one which looks great as it is:

VF-171CFflightmotionNRM2-b2nt.jpg.86cb2348975a785a801b36c488fe85a7.jpg

Thanks yeah I must of got them confused. It looks amazing, outside DYRL valks the only others I've really liked have been the Macross 2 valks but I might just buy this one to display when the time comes.