Jump to content

DX Chogokin VF-171EX Alto - Revival ver. WWM Release


MKT

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Angesdad said:

Looking mighty fine there @Lolicon! Awesome custom work as always, don’t you stop on me now.🤩

Thanks @Angesdad!

I started looking into fixing up the CF 171. I took my main 171 out of the display case and started taking it apart, being very careful with the shoulder triangles. When I tried to open the canopy, it snapped off at the hinge. Wonderful.

So I pulled out my second MISB copy. The first time I tried to transform it and the leg completely snapped off at the knee. Goddammit. F U Bandai. How the hell do you screw up the second release when the first release (Alto) had none of these problems?

All I can do now is hope I can frankenstein together a single working CF 171 using parts from these two broken toys.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Lolicon said:

Thanks @Angesdad!

I started looking into fixing up the CF 171. I took my main 171 out of the display case and started taking it apart, being very careful with the shoulder triangles. When I tried to open the canopy, it snapped off at the hinge. Wonderful.

So I pulled out my second MISB copy. The first time I tried to transform it and the leg completely snapped off at the knee. Goddammit. F U Bandai. How the hell do you screw up the second release when the first release (Alto) had none of these problems?

All I can do now is hope I can frankenstein together a single working CF 171 using parts from these two broken toys.

Yeah, that right there is the CF-171 experience in condensed form.

You don't buy one toy.  You buy a bunch and hope you get one good one put together out of the pile of broken parts that come out of the boxes.

Edited by Chronocidal
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah. Don’t. It’s the plastic, it weakens over time. I think the CF variant has a metallic sheen to the dark grey plastics, which did something very not good when it was injected-molded to be made. No other 171 has this metallic plastic, so they don’t have nearly this many problems. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Sildani said:

Yeah. Don’t. It’s the plastic, it weakens over time. I think the CF variant has a metallic sheen to the dark grey plastics, which did something very not good when it was injected-molded to be made. No other 171 has this metallic plastic, so they don’t have nearly this many problems. 

I can't say it was just the CFs though, I know my Luca version had the same metallic sheen to it, and I didn't trust it.

It's more than just the plastic though, I think the 171's leg design might possibly be the most incompetently designed product I've ever owned.  The design as a whole has some serious issues, and at the very least it's the worst designed transforming toy I own.  The entire hip/knee joint should be ripped out and rebuilt from scratch, and the stupid little collapsing triangles on the underside should have been replaced with the version Yamato used on their VF-17.

"Bandai: Why use one part, when you can use five to do a worse job instead?"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/6/2024 at 2:09 AM, Lolicon said:

Thanks @no3Ljm!

Here's the remaining pics. The 171 has a lot of markings already printed but I did add a few just to bring it more in line with what real world aircraft should have.

Sorry for the poor quality as I'm using a makeshift photo setup for the time being. :unknw:

VF-171EXAltoRevival008.jpg.2af6bb9edc89cad55b2e1c191d6ca5de.jpg

VF-171EXAltoRevival009.jpg.c241fbd47937d2f596dbdd96466f668f.jpg

VF-171EXAltoRevival010.jpg.28fb7afc0180547a9e2e58c68882d2ee.jpg

VF-171EXAltoRevival011.jpg.5baa6a7ada85ddc3b428fd22ddce3865.jpg

 

Wish Bandai and Arcadia would actually print us an instrument panel.

VF-171EXAltoRevival012.jpg.b8d0fbffcd3ca2231f0becd37b81127d.jpg

VF-171EXAltoRevival013.jpg.af8f0a76a678030c835521565bc92814.jpg

VF-171EXAltoRevival014.jpg.3d264e537e860758aef7a1550537f77e.jpg

VF-171EXAltoRevival015.jpg.27d203842b3cb5a1bf97c25c99c21e6c.jpg

VF-171EXAltoRevival016.jpg.87102535145448cca1747e85c43e7db5.jpg

VF-171EXAltoRevival017.jpg.229569f24f948cdc17e063a36c76b474.jpg

VF-171EXAltoRevival018.jpg.4c7a9cf8af5ce79efdf29861a61171bc.jpg

Love it, @Lolicon. :wub:

Wish I also have your talent. :friends:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

The VF-171 Nightmare Plus lived up to its name because fixing this thing up was a plus-sized nightmare. As mentioned in earlier posts, I had two units that has breakages at various points and I decided to disassemble both and Frankenstein the salvageable parts into one working unit. Still, cracks started appearing in the shoulder triangle parts during the reassembly, so this thing is staying in fighter mode forever, as it's almost certain to break if a transformation is attempted.

It is hands down the most shoddily constructed valk I own.

Still, I did what I could to pretty her up, though between the topcoat and bright lights, a lot of the surface detail is lost. :aggressive:

Here she is before her makeover:

VF-171before.jpg.c23c81b3a9f83b4e7bcaec5a2d295930.jpg

 

And after:

VF-171001.jpg.e13cee8fd59ae312041167021f2a5bd0.jpg

VF-171002.jpg.74753b200fe5d8f089e1e6697b84ddae.jpg

VF-171003.jpg.2e1ab445aaeb32114c0eb9fe0de8d7f7.jpg

VF-171004.jpg.c034b371c55731dc6f3ab433031ee94a.jpg

VF-171005.jpg.ba7ee00cbf97be564ae8a8d9e7d404d3.jpg

VF-171006.jpg.61be2f4de87f4707696ef4492e29041f.jpg

 

Bandai's DX VF-1 doesn't have warped wings, but all their Frontier valks do. Even the Revival version has warped wings.

VF-171007.jpg.59b4f9d65b3daa12ce26b0057d0809a9.jpg

VF-171008.jpg.b6131cc518c0c214ed29b110274871e6.jpg

VF-171009.jpg.9f86afd52bc442bd445e34824a801309.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/27/2024 at 3:17 PM, MKT said:

@Lolicon Lovely work!! :wub: I like the default glossiness of the CF 171, but seeing this makes me wish it also comes in matte! 

Thanks!

Would like a non-explodey reissue of this particular aircraft, since I can't ever transform this one. If you look closely, you can see cracks have already formed in the shoulders just from putting the thing back together. It will never survive a full transformation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/27/2024 at 3:35 AM, Lolicon said:

The VF-171 Nightmare Plus lived up to its name because fixing this thing up was a plus-sized nightmare. As mentioned in earlier posts, I had two units that has breakages at various points and I decided to disassemble both and Frankenstein the salvageable parts into one working unit. Still, cracks started appearing in the shoulder triangle parts during the reassembly, so this thing is staying in fighter mode forever, as it's almost certain to break if a transformation is attempted.

It is hands down the most shoddily constructed valk I own.

Still, I did what I could to pretty her up, though between the topcoat and bright lights, a lot of the surface detail is lost. :aggressive:

Here she is before her makeover:

VF-171before.jpg.c23c81b3a9f83b4e7bcaec5a2d295930.jpg

 

And after:

VF-171001.jpg.e13cee8fd59ae312041167021f2a5bd0.jpg

VF-171002.jpg.74753b200fe5d8f089e1e6697b84ddae.jpg

VF-171003.jpg.2e1ab445aaeb32114c0eb9fe0de8d7f7.jpg

VF-171004.jpg.c034b371c55731dc6f3ab433031ee94a.jpg

VF-171005.jpg.ba7ee00cbf97be564ae8a8d9e7d404d3.jpg

VF-171006.jpg.61be2f4de87f4707696ef4492e29041f.jpg

 

Bandai's DX VF-1 doesn't have warped wings, but all their Frontier valks do. Even the Revival version has warped wings.

VF-171007.jpg.59b4f9d65b3daa12ce26b0057d0809a9.jpg

VF-171008.jpg.b6131cc518c0c214ed29b110274871e6.jpg

VF-171009.jpg.9f86afd52bc442bd445e34824a801309.jpg

 

Did you just add a Topcoat to give it the matte finish?  It looks 10 x better!

I sold my last few ages ago but I might want them back if a topcoat could work on it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do not own a DX VF-171 NIGHTMARE in its cannon fodder version and i have a question. Is there anywhere on the toy an aircraft number? I didn't see any in these pictures but i know Bandai likes to put one on most of its CF releseases...Looks beautiful anyway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Robin-11 said:

I do not own a DX VF-171 NIGHTMARE in its cannon fodder version and i have a question. Is there anywhere on the toy an aircraft number?

No it doesn't.  171 is stamped all over the thing though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Mommar said:

No it doesn't.  171 is stamped all over the thing though.

Thank you. When(???) Bandai will release it without any QC problems i could buy multiples and put some waterslide decals on them. It would be a great solution, i wish Bandai would have done that also for the other CF VF they released so far.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/2/2024 at 3:24 AM, physioguy said:

Did you just add a Topcoat to give it the matte finish?  It looks 10 x better!

I sold my last few ages ago but I might want them back if a topcoat could work on it

Yeah I added a flat coat to it. Don't like the glossiness that Bandai insisted on for years and years.

 

On 3/2/2024 at 1:32 PM, Robin-11 said:

I do not own a DX VF-171 NIGHTMARE in its cannon fodder version and i have a question. Is there anywhere on the toy an aircraft number? I didn't see any in these pictures but i know Bandai likes to put one on most of its CF releseases...Looks beautiful anyway.

Aside from a few extra markings added on the Revivals, Bandai only put markings based on the CG models. If the markings weren't in the show's CGI then Bandai didn't add it. None of the CF units had any modex numbers in the show. Although that shouldn't stop you from just adding your own numbers with some decals. :hi:

Although Bandai did neglect to print 171 on the wing flaps on both releases of Alto's unit, but remembered it on all the other 171s. So someone at Bandai is asleep at the wheel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, from what i remember both the VF-25 cf and the VF-31 kairos do have aircraft numbers on them. Which makes it kinda difficult to add extra decals to differentiate the VFs. Unless you took out the original markings, find the right decals and applied them instead of the Bandai ones. But honestly it's mission impossible. If there are no aircraft numbers it's muche easier to buy multiple copies and put different marking numbers on them. To me it never made sense to have two Kaiors both with the O3 aircraft number. Clearly this is not a isssue for custom VF, like Alto, Hayate or Hikaru.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think Frontier was Bandai's first foray into "aircraft things" for the most part.  The main characters got numbers, but anyone not named was treated with all the respect of a typical grunt Zaku.  The overall markings of the 171s make me seriously question whether anyone working on the animation models had ever seen a military aircraft in their lifetime.  Fortunately that mostly got resolved by Delta, and there's a reason why the Kairos is so loved.

And yes, some of the releases had "NO STEP" printed on both the upper and lower surfaces of the wings.  The "excuse" commonly cited is that they operate in space, but I think it's a lot simpler than that.  They just replicated the CGI model textures, which copy-pasted the upper and lower wings.  They put them there because the production photos had them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My 171 has been sitting on a shelf, unopened, since it arrived in late January, mainly due to all of the poor-quality-control comments in this thread. Odds of me having one that doesn't come with paint issues, bent antennas, and/or stress marks are very low. I will open it, eventually, but I'm waiting until I can counterbalance that experience with opening something that won't disappoint me. Might be another two months before that can happen, given current release schedules.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/5/2024 at 5:28 AM, Anasazi37 said:

My 171 has been sitting on a shelf, unopened, since it arrived in late January, mainly due to all of the poor-quality-control comments in this thread. Odds of me having one that doesn't come with paint issues, bent antennas, and/or stress marks are very low. I will open it, eventually, but I'm waiting until I can counterbalance that experience with opening something that won't disappoint me. Might be another two months before that can happen, given current release schedules.

Open it, bro.  The matte white is great!

Speaking of I'd llovea CF sand color like from Delta too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Cherude said:

This guy struggles for 2 hours trying to transform the new dx vf 171 back to fighter mode... and basically fails!

It was hard to watch...

https://www.youtube.com/live/IuP5JdLhgyA?si=Tt_r7-5B5-gwcvHq

Is it really that complicated/difficult/painful/awful?!?!

Yeah, kind of.

Between the insane number of independent joints in the arms having to be lined up, the incredibly tight metal joints in the backplate, and just all of the issues existing in the legs, it really is the most aptly named valk ever.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Lolicon said:

Yes. It's both broken and not broken until you open it and collapse the waveform. 

Schrödinger's Valkyrie! :rofl:

20 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Yeah, kind of.

Between the insane number of independent joints in the arms having to be lined up, the incredibly tight metal joints in the backplate, and just all of the issues existing in the legs, it really is the most aptly named valk ever.

And this is why, once I open mine, it will be transformed to battroid mode and stay that way forever. I'm keeping my original 171 CF in fighter mode for similar reasons (potential explodium).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I bought 2 of the Revival Version.

One is staying in fighter mode on my bedroom shelf and will never be transformed.

The second one I transformed to battroid mode, which took me about 30 minutes. It will stay in my display cabinet and never be transformed again. 😅

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I never bought a dx vf 171, but I was considering this time, thinking that things may have improved. I am not a display guy, I enjoy posing and transforming multiple times. I am used to transformations and, in theory, the transformation of the 171 seems quite easy compared to some master piece transformers. However, in practice, I see quite a lot people having a hard time transforming it (and I am not willing to spend US$200+ to be frustrated...). So, what you guys think? Should I skip the 171? Anyone here actually enjoyed playing with the new 171 after the wing improvements?

Edited by Cherude
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Cherude said:

I never bought a dx vf 171, but I was considering this time, thinking that things may have improved. I am not a display guy, I enjoy posing and transforming multiple times. I am used to transformations and, in theory, the transformation of the 171 seems quite easy compared to some master piece transformers. However, in practice, I see quite a lot people having a hard time transforming it (and I am not willing to spend US$200+ to be frustrated...). So, what you guys think? Should I skip the 171? Anyone here actually enjoyed playing with the new 171 after the wing improvements?

the yamato VF-17 might be better for your criteria if you like transforming it a lot. and its nice to have both since its the same lineage 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Finally got mine. The bendies are very bent, but shouldn't be a big deal if they can be fixed with heat.

Front landing gear doors don't seem to align if pressed flush, so I have them bulged by a hair for now. Not sure if its fixable. One arm came untabbed and won't budge, but I haven't learned it's articulation yet, so it's not really an issue for now. Noticed a stressed nub mark on the instrument panel when I stuck the Alto in the cockpit. Haven't tried anything else yet.

Tbh, nothing seems out of line knowing bandai's usual jank, and having not even done a first transformation. It's back in the box for now, until im not lazy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just opened mine, and messed with it briefly only in Fighter.

The matte finishing looks really nice, but I'm struck by how solid everything feels in this mode. In hand, there isn't the usual flexing feel in a random area or two one might get with other Bandai DX. Taken together with the matte finishing, it feels very much like an Arcadia valk, which is always a good thing in my books. I really like how the wings are now tight, nicely flushed & properly aligned with the fuselage. 

When I compare in-hand feel with the old CF, the old version actually does have the same solid feeling when the parts come together to form the whole hull. It's just I never really noticed it before because the wings always had some slack on them in a way that was always distracting, plus more distraction of having to concentrate avoid touching or putting finger pressure on the damn triangles while handling.


VF-171AltoRevivalComparisonNRMnt.jpg.d018b2e292e261721cd01a635b2b27a8.jpg

     

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, MKT said:

I just opened mine, and messed with it briefly only in Fighter.

The matte finishing looks really nice, but I'm struck by how solid everything feels in this mode. In hand, there isn't the usual flexing feel in a random area or two one might get with other Bandai DX. Taken together with the matte finishing, it feels very much like an Arcadia valk, which is always a good thing in my books. I really like how the wings are now tight, nicely flushed & properly aligned with the fuselage. 

When I compare in-hand feel with the old CF, the old version actually does have the same solid feeling when the parts come together to form the whole hull. It's just I never really noticed it before because the wings always had some slack on them in a way that was always distracting, plus more distraction of having to concentrate avoid touching or putting finger pressure on the damn triangles while handling.

     

I will appreciate your further comments on transformation and perhaps improvements once you have time for it. 🙃

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have mine waiting at home for me when I return from vacation….will have a Bandai DX Chogokin YF-19 that I acquired from Tamashii Nations Store in New York City to go along with it. I know that the YF-19 is similar to the VF-19Advance, as far as the toy goes, but I am just excited to have both, since I never owned a VF-17/VF-171 before now and I’m looking forward to matching these up with the YF-21 I have pre-ordered from BBTS.

Twich

Edited by twich
Spelling
Link to comment
Share on other sites

this guy's from hk, iirc.

surprisingly, he didn't provide CCs/Subs on this review for yt auto-translation. 

his reviews usually contain CCs, tho.

as such, I get the impression that he is just not that happy with his 171EX Revival purchase:

 

 

Edited by treatment
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...