ThreeZero ROBOTECH (Macross) Toys

kyekye

This is going to be 1/72 scale right? Under a Robotech brand that can be sold in the states. So, how is Kitz and ThreeZero both able to do that? Normally a license only goes to one in a one scale, right? Or maybe I have the scale off or I’m missing something here. 

5 hours ago, mcfly50 said:

This is going to be 1/72 scale right? Under a Robotech brand that can be sold in the states. So, how is Kitz and ThreeZero both able to do that? Normally a license only goes to one in a one scale, right? Or maybe I have the scale off or I’m missing something here. 

Maybe that is only how it might work for Japan through licenses received from BW.....for HG, perhaps it's a free-for-all pay to play?

Licenses come in different flavors depending on how much you're willing to spend. Exclusive deals are more expensive. You would think that the licensor would discourage companies from doing the exact same thing though. Maybe they define their target markets or price points differently or maybe HG doesn't care.

I’m just wondering if KC is losing their 1/72 VF-1 license soon (maybe end of the year) and we will start seeing threezero then release theirs. It doesn’t make sense for HG or either respective companies to allow multiple 1/72 scale transforming VF-1s to the same market at the same time. 

I’m liking the chunky look and I’m glad they changed those intakes and the dark gray linkages in the elbows. The battro-helmet is…quite different…as in, please show me more of this ridiculous idea. B))

I can see how Three Zero is simulating the curves to match the still from the anime shared up thread and that has me curious to see how they might reinterpret the other Valkyrie noggins.

I like the rounder sculpt in Battroid which makes the Chogokin suddenly look very squarish lol.. On that basis I think Threezero brings sufficient new things to the table for the VF-1 where it has been iterated so many times over the years on a rather fixed design.

20 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

No one has complained about the black landing gears? Is this still MW I’m on?😂

I took it as bare metal, like the DX Chogokin VF-1

Twich

19 hours ago, mcfly50 said:

I’ve been wondering the same thing with Hasegawa and Max Factory both doing non transforming 1/72 Macross kits. In the old days it was one company could do a similar product from the license, but had to be a different scale, but now it’s possibly gonna be a Thunderdome style fight for supremacy.

On 7/2/2023 at 12:46 PM, ps99041 said:

The head kinda bugs me.  Looks too dome shaped on top.

On 7/2/2023 at 2:57 PM, Mommar said:

That thing has some really odd proportions.  And a giant, round head.

If they don't fix that, I'm out. It looks too weird with a chibi head.

On 7/2/2023 at 10:26 AM, mcfly50 said:

I’m just wondering if KC is losing their 1/72 VF-1 license soon (maybe end of the year) and we will start seeing threezero then release theirs. It doesn’t make sense for HG or either respective companies to allow multiple 1/72 scale transforming VF-1s to the same market at the same time. 

I'm wondering the same thing, especially with KC trying to milk their mold with variant paints schemes.along with massive discounts on them.  At the same time, HG never makes any sense with anything they do so maybe 2 companies really will have licenses for the same scale toys.

I like this unique interpretation of the VF-1. The head is a little weird but I don't mind it. Hopefully they thin out the extra thick torso in battroid mode. 

Will definitely be cool if it's actually 1/72 scale unlike the KC figures. Count me in to buy one unless they are absurdly expensive.

38 minutes ago, jenius said:

I think people might just be used to the undersized heads we've been getting on toys for a while.

No, it's not that for me. It looks wrong in scale even with the visor. Using the Big West line art you have, can you actually say the TZ head is accurate?

1 hour ago, Radioguy said:

No, it's not that for me. It looks wrong in scale even with the visor. Using the Big West line art you have, can you actually say the TZ head is accurate?

You might be looking at certain elements of the head but generally speaking (and it's all hand drawn so there are plenty of exceptions), the head was bigger than most toy interpretations. 

Bandai-DX-VF-1J-Hikaru-3.jpg?ssl=1

I'm not knocking toys for doing this. Most hand-drawn battroids would make zero sense as fighters so the toy companies have to make compromises. I imagine the head is going to look funny in fighter mode... but it doesn't look funny to me in battroid. Maybe we'll see more pics soon. 

Edited by jenius

34 minutes ago, jenius said:

You might be looking at certain elements of the head but generally speaking (and it's all hand drawn so there are plenty of exceptions), the head was bigger than most toy interpretations. 

Bandai-DX-VF-1J-Hikaru-3.jpg?ssl=1

I'm not knocking toys for doing this. Most hand-drawn battroids would make zero sense as fighters so the toy companies have to make compromises. I imagine the head is going to look funny in fighter mode... but it doesn't look funny to me in battroid. Maybe we'll see more pics soon. 

Thanks for posting that, as it's kinda making my case.

Chibi joke aside, I think you misunderstood my critique. You'll see I was specific about scale of the visor/goggle (and also dimensions when posting elsewhere), but specifically didn't mention overall size.

Yes, it's bigger, but it's also inaccurate in comparison to the line art even from the forward view when you look at the visor/goggle and the lens/window compared to overall head size. If the proportions in the line art or other toys were maintained at this overall larger size, I wouldn't have the problem I do.

I might have a different problem then, but not this one. 😉

From the pictures on online, it's pretty confirmed that it has some waist swivel going on as well. Hopefully it is secure and doesn't involve the swing bar detaching like the Chogokin. 

Not bad, at smallish 1/72 scale, it already has most of the innovations of other VF-1 toys that came before it, except perhaps the movable wing flaps that nobody seems to like. Not sure if the whole nose can also be removed ala Yamcadia v2.