Live-action Robotech Movie

zulu

Who the heck is Nic Mathieu?

Apparently some commercial director. Apparently he's directing some David Keopp-written sci-fi project called The Wind for WB. Probably should emphasis that this person is "in talks" to direct. So it could end up back on the queue if talks fall through.

Wasn't expecting this tid bit of news but it is welcome news if nothing else. If he is working on other projects for Wb, I imagine he will land this after the talks. WB seems that once they get someone, they use them as much as possible. Maybe a comfort or leverage thing.

Here is a link to Nic Mathieu's commerical.

http://www.anonymouscontent.com/commercials/commercial-directors/nic-mathieu#turbulence

Edited by Atharun

Wasn't expecting this tid bit of news but it is welcome news if nothing else. If he is working on other projects for Wb, I imagine he will land this after the talks. WB seems that once they get someone, they use them as much as possible. Maybe a comfort or leverage thing.

If you bring them money, they'll try to keep you. Look at Joss Whedon and Disney. They gave him an exclusive contract to make other Avengers films AND they gave him the S.H.I.E.L.D. TV series to produce.

Transformers combined made over 2 billion dollars they just trying to replicate that formula I am sure some one soon enough will announce a GUNDAM Movie just considering the merchandise alone would be insane.

Edited by moose

I suspect the movie Veritechs will be closer to Bay's Starscream instead of our beloved VF-1s. But I'm on the fence as to whether I like that or hate it.

On one hand, I'd much rather have a Macross movie true to the art than a Robotech movie that reinvents everything.

On the other hand, I like the idea of going to my local Toys R Us to buy a $30 Veritech.

Also, if by some miracle this is a hit, I can look forward to watching it on Blu-Ray without subtitles and shifting my attention away from Macross like a fan-whore.

Edited by Astralith

I am looking forward to it.

The Valkyrie's/ character's licenses belong to Big West/ Nue/ Kawamori, and WB/ HG have to make another new models of them.

So, the Japanese fans will be able to accept that Macross and Robotech are different things easily because the icons of Macross will never be infringed.

Some Robotech fans may complain saying, "this is not Macross saga." But I don't care and who cares? Robotech itself has been (censored).

The guys praising the Spanish “amatures'” movie may also be disappointed to watch it, because they just want to watch the Macross robots and mechas. B))

Edited by antibiotictab

Just like ANY film developed by the major Hollywood studios, fans should be worried. As others have said, this film has an equal chance to never materialize as it does to make it to market. However the larger concern is that the number of truly awful adapted films always vastly outnumbers the few quality adaptations. It's one of our universal constants. Whether you're a fan that hates Robotech or you're a fan that loves Robotech, the odds this will be a good film are very much against such an outcome, as they are for ANY film.

I've said this before about film production and I'll always say it; utimately the casting will be VERY telling about the seriousness and committment the Studio and Producers are giving to this property. After all, if you want to make crap, you hire Shia Lebeouf and Megan Fox. If you're at least TRYING, you hire actors with credibility, like Rinko Kikuchi, Charlie Hunnam and Idris Elba :)

Edited by Mr March

I am a Robotech (Jack McKinney) fan, it actually was way after I read the books that I ever saw the Robotech TV Show. I think it was when the Legacy boxsets came out. That and of course the Jetfire Transformers toy. LOL.

To get back to this actual post, I am 95% sure that any Robotech movie will not be about the original "Macross" series. They would run into issues with Big West and all in Japan. Correct me if I am wrong, but, any movie would more than likely be on their Mospeada/New Generation arc.

Even though I am a RT fan I can't stand HG, but I am not going to HG bash on this post.

I believe they plan on using the Rick hunter Lynn minmay characters. I agree with mog. I actually want to see this get made finally. Because they can't use any Macross designs. Hopefully whatever designs they come up with will replace any Macross in their regular library because even if it bombs, it'll be more popular than the Macross franchise.

They have to make a movie or lose the license. And they've already paid for previous scripts. At this point they have to pump out what ever they come up with. It also says that the director they are looking at has two movies booked so it'll be a year before we even see any sort of pre-production if he decides to stay on the project.

My opinion still is that if this RT movie ever gets made it will be Robotech in name only. EXO pretty much just summed it up.

Also my feeling is unless who ever is going to financially back this movie wants to take it as seriously as one can (RDM-BSG), this will just be another crappy Michael Bay type film.

My opinion still is that if this RT movie ever gets made it will be Robotech in name only. EXO pretty much just summed it up.

Also my feeling is unless who ever is going to financially back this movie wants to take it as seriously as one can (RDM-BSG), this will just be another crappy Michael Bay type film.

Yes which is exactly why I'm against this film being made despite being a robotech fan. To be honest I'm expecting much worse than a Bay film. Much MUCH worse. I'm talking Rise of Cobra and Wing Commander the motion picture bad.

They will definitely be trying to piggy back on the success of the Transformer movies. When the first TF movie came out is when talk about a live action RT movie got "serious". The movie more likely use Rick Hunter and all the rest of the macross characters like EXO said. The story will be heavily reworked IMO to avoid legal issues. I doubt it will ever come out. They missed their window of opportunity This movie should have come out back in 2008-9 to capitalize the 80s nostalgia that was happening to to the success of the first TF movie. Even then chances of success would be in question (Gijoe for example).

Saw my first post on another site (miniatures page, about miniature wargaming) calling it a "Macross" movie, I set them straight.

I'm looking forward to the movie, even though the designs will not be Macross related (don't think they can get away with that) - I like the boxy Mospeada deisgns myself (not as much as the Macross designs, but I still like them)

> Wing Commander the motion picture bad

That was a decent movie, not great, but decent.

Ahhh, who cares?

if this comes into being, it'll be just another forgettable Hollywood Popcorn Flick.

if it does not come into being, we'll all be spared yet another Hollywood Popcorn Flick.

in either case; Yawn, life Goes On. YMMV, as always...

• azrael changed the title to Live-action Robotech Movie
  • azrael locked this topic
  • azrael unlocked this topic