Live-action Robotech Movie

zulu

Yes which is exactly why I'm against this film being made despite being a robotech fan. To be honest I'm expecting much worse than a Bay film. Much MUCH worse. I'm talking Rise of Cobra and Wing Commander the motion picture bad.

WOW! It has been a long time since I even thought of that horrible Wing Commander movie. You took me down memory lane there :) Look on the bright side, even if the Robotech movie is as bad as Wing Commander, at lest the SFX will be better :)

Positive or negative Robotech always spark conversation and debate... I think they can make a Robotech movie that uses some of the Macross story elements (alien invasions, new technologies) and have brand new Valkyrie type mechs with the three form transformation. Mospeada, Megazone 23, Orguss, & Southern Cross were all inspired by Macross without being straight off rip-offs I believe RT could be the same way.

Even i09, a website that recently went on a nostalgia fest for the Macross Saga, thinks it's BS.

Warner Bros. pretends they’re going to make a Robotech film again

My opinion still is that if this RT movie ever gets made it will be Robotech in name only.

So, like in Shadow Chronicles, refer to characters and mecha in quotation marks or followed by INO, especially "Rick Hunter." I think people are already used to that by now.

Just like Abrams and Star Wars, I want to see an official press release. If there's no official statement (either from the studio, someone's Twitter/Facebook account, or some news/blog post), then either someone is waiting for the other party to respond in negotiations or it's BS. Too often the 'Net jumps on stuff as fact. It's not fact until the T's are crossed and the I's dotted, or simply put until the contract is signed. Until then, either party can pull out and anything can happen.

Yes which is exactly why I'm against this film being made despite being a robotech fan. To be honest I'm expecting much worse than a Bay film. Much MUCH worse. I'm talking Rise of Cobra and Wing Commander the motion picture bad.

And I thought referring it to a MB Film was a bit critical.... :p

Rise of Cobra & Wing Commander were pretty damn awful!

god have mercy on us all.

If Robotech did get off the ground how would it fair over in Japan? Im sure they dont want a live action version of rowboat.

Haha, I'm sure they will hate it or just won't care. Surprisingly though.......

I am looking forward to it.

The Valkyrie's/ character's licenses belong to Big West/ Nue/ Kawamori, and WB/ HG have to make another new models of them.

So, the Japanese fans will be able to accept that Macross and Robotech are different things easily because the icons of Macross will never be infringed.

Some Robotech fans may complain saying, "this is not Macross saga." But I don't care and who cares? Robotech itself has been (censored).

The guys praising the Spanish “amatures'” movie may also be disappointed to watch it, because they just want to watch the Macross robots and mechas. B))

I was wondering when you were going to chime in, haha! Not all of us who gave support to the South American "fan" film will be disappointed though because some of us may not even watch it.....if it ever gets off the ground.

The solution is simple to satisfy all: get Macross made into live-action in Japan, just like Yamato. We don't care if it's for Japanese distribution only, it will eventually end up here somehow anyways, and some fans out there will sub it.

Edited by peter

Comeon guys! Just think of how awesome Reba West dubstep would be!!!!!.... :rolleyes:

Actually, knowing Hollywood, Id expect them to remove the singing element.

I mean hey, thats what they did for that live action Macross Plus movie a few years back, right? ;)

The solution is simple to satisfy all: get Macross made into live-action in Japan, just like Yamato. We don't care if it's for Japanese distribution only, it will eventually end up here somehow anyways, and some fans out there will sub it.

Given Yamato's rather tortured production, a Japanese live action Macross would be highly unlikely. And if it happened it would be more likely to be a Frontier movie....

Well I guess I m alone. I would like a film to be made. Now with Pacific Rim and transformers, the Valkyries can be easily CGI'd with the simpler transformation. I think it could like this,

Most of the story revolves around Rick being a circus pilot. An ancient derelict ship was found, and secret machinations are ahead to make the thing airborne. They accidentally send a beacon that near the last 30-40 mins of the movie is introducing the Valks and liftoff by the SDF-1 while fighting off the invaders. End Credits que squeal.

It doesnt have to be complicated

and its doable

They will definitely be trying to piggy back on the success of the Transformer movies. When the first TF movie came out is when talk about a live action RT movie got "serious". The movie more likely use Rick Hunter and all the rest of the macross characters like EXO said. The story will be heavily reworked IMO to avoid legal issues. I doubt it will ever come out. They missed their window of opportunity This movie should have come out back in 2008-9 to capitalize the 80s nostalgia that was happening to to the success of the first TF movie. Even then chances of success would be in question (Gijoe for example).

I still think that they will have to be careful of potential legal action from the TF/Bay/Hasbro side of things. At the end of the day it will be win/win I am sure. All it has to have is the Robotech name, some characters with the same names as the RT ones (even if they are essentially different "characters") and some mecha with a vague resemblance to the originals. Not even that really. Original RT storyline, forget it, not needed. A decent script? Forget it, not needed.

The Bayformers model shows how the Robotech films can essentially be absolute shite with little or no resemblance to the original product, and still potentially bring in billions.

BUT, the Star Wars juggernaut is about to start up again. I wouldn't want to get in the way of *that*.

Havent they had enough trouble getting started on the supposed sequel to Shadow Chronicles - Shadow Rising?

Let alone a live action film.

Yeah, but the shadow chronicles stuff is what HG is trying to produce themselves. Live-action film would be a WB production using WB money. HG would just sit back and collect the royalties.....

The solution is simple to satisfy all: get Macross made into live-action in Japan, just like Yamato.

If it were shitty, live-action should not be done. Yamato, Dragonball, and the next things will be Akira and Cowboy Bebop. We are always talking about them, and the conclusion is that the movie companies don't have enough stories to make recently, so reach for the Japanese anime, but make the movies in vain.

I wonder if the live-action things are so worth watching? The guys who just want to say “hell yeah!” may welcome them. Or needs so much money, so worth watching? So illiterate.

We don't care if it's for Japanese distribution only, it will eventually end up here somehow anyways, and some fans out there will sub it.

Wow, you are talking about the piracy, wow!

If it were shitty, live-action should not be done. Yamato, Dragonball, and the next things will be Akira and Cowboy Bebop. We are always talking about them, and the conclusion is that the movie companies don't have enough stories to make recently, so reach for the Japanese anime, but make the movies in vain.

I wonder if the live-action things are so worth watching? The guys who just want to say “hell yeah!” may welcome them. Or needs so much money, so worth watching? So illiterate.

Wow, you are talking about the piracy, wow!

No, not really, the orirginal DVDs and BD discs from Japan end up in otaku shops here in Canada and the US, and people like me buy them. There are online versions with subtitles, but most fans will buy the originals. Crappy movies like Transformers, I will not buy, nor will I watch in theatre. If I watch those at all, they will be streamed or downloaded, haha!

Anyway, I think Taksraven hit the mark 100% when he said:

.....All it has to have is the Robotech name, some characters with the same names as the RT ones (even if they are essentially different "characters") and some mecha with a vague resemblance to the originals. Not even that really. Original RT storyline, forget it, not needed. A decent script? Forget it, not needed.

The Bayformers model shows how the Robotech films can essentially be absolute shite with little or no resemblance to the original product, and still potentially bring in billions.......

I think "Robocrap" Live-action will come out looking exactly the same as Bayformers. I say go ahead, make it, it's not Macross, so what do I care? It'll probably come out like an abomination of Dragonball Live-Action crossed with Transformers. It will suck (in my mind), but it will make a $hit-ton of money.

And about Uchu Senkan Yamato live-action.......you're right, it could have been better, but it's a start. it was definitely better than anything I would have expected from Hollywood. Rumours were that they were planning on using a completely different battleship and name. But who knows, maybe in the future a better film could be made. If film history has shown us, remakes are always done. Films about IJN Yamato have been getting better and better, with the last one back in 2005. It was alright for it's time, but could have been a lot better. BUt that being said, it was light years ahead of any previous films about IJN Yamato.

Akira, don't even get me started, might as well title it "Ted" if they still plan to use the cast and location of the story that they had planned a while ago. Anyway, I'm not really fussed about this Robotech movie being made one way or another. It would be nice to see photo-realistic live-action VF-1s in action, but I can wait for it to be properly done....haha, maybe by another Pachinko company in 5 years or so.

I'm not going to knock the movie already (IF it truly gets made this time) but to me there's a few key ingredients that I would need to truly enjoy this or anything associated to a Macross movie, though some Macross sequels didn't really hit some of these for me.

• mechanical design - that's the one thing about Pacific Rim that so far I've been disappointed with, but I'm still thinking that seeing the action will make up for that. The only thing that it would prevent me from doing is going after the merchandise.
    I've yet to see any new hollywood movies that really hit on this point but again... any new designs for Robotech that would make them forget milking Macross is fine with me, if that could possibly happen.
  • aerial combat action on par with Macross Zero and Plus... hate Zero, but the valkyrie combat scenes were too awesome to neglect.
  • realistic military chatter - not just Macross but any movie or tv series that has fake sounding military lingo bugs me. I've never been in the military but I think most war movies just copy other movies about war as far as radio chatter. I mean you don't get "We're in the pipe five by five" stuck in your head because it's been done over and over again. This really minor but a big enough pet peeve to mention.
  • Storyline - the original storyline is going to be hard to beat. I mean, they've already copied it with Pearl Harbor and it was pretty bad.
  • Emotional content - movies like this don't even try, but when you talk about iconic scenes that most of us had never seen before Robotech, like... uhhh...spoiler alert... Focker dying and a love triangle that didn't really involve one evil person that deserved to die making the couple an obvious choice, it would be pretty easy to screw up or even neglect.

If this go trough, I would seriously doubt if this goes trough they would base it on their called "Macross saga" they could probably go on using their Mospeada license with mentions of the happening on Macross and their "robotechnology" and "protoculture" fuel source story crap as some sore of prologue to their movie.

In the end, I don't think they can in any way possible make Robotech into a decent movie. If they could not even pull decent story and animation in ur...."shadow chronicles?", they would pretty much ruin it live action. Worst case, it would be the typical generic Sci-Fi movie with robots that has no relation to the Robotech title only used to lure unsuspecting fans.

I'm not going to knock the movie already (IF it truly gets made this time) but to me there's a few key ingredients that I would need to truly enjoy this or anything associated to a Macross movie, though some Macross sequels didn't really hit some of these for me.

• mechanical design - that's the one thing about Pacific Rim that so far I've been disappointed with, but I'm still thinking that seeing the action will make up for that. The only thing that it would prevent me from doing is going after the merchandise.
    I've yet to see any new hollywood movies that really hit on this point but again... any new designs for Robotech that would make them forget milking Macross is fine with me, if that could possibly happen.
  • aerial combat action on par with Macross Zero and Plus... hate Zero, but the valkyrie combat scenes were too awesome to neglect.
  • realistic military chatter - not just Macross but any movie or tv series that has fake sounding military lingo bugs me. I've never been in the military but I think most war movies just copy other movies about war as far as radio chatter. I mean you don't get "We're in the pipe five by five" stuck in your head because it's been done over and over again. This really minor but a big enough pet peeve to mention.
  • Storyline - the original storyline is going to be hard to beat. I mean, they've already copied it with Pearl Harbor and it was pretty bad.
  • Emotional content - movies like this don't even try, but when you talk about iconic scenes that most of us had never seen before Robotech, like... uhhh...spoiler alert... Focker dying and a love triangle that didn't really involve one evil person that deserved to die making the couple an obvious choice, it would be pretty easy to screw up or even neglect.

If you haven't watched Generation Kill, go watch it. It's got some pretty realistic radio chatter.

As someone mentioned before, this is WB in control not HG, so it's not 100% guaranteed crap outcome. That being said, the usual chances of something like this being good, anime to Live Action or anything with a previous existing franchise is about 5% out of 100, maybe I'm being generous. But once and a while you get a Rise Of The Planet of the Apes, I think that the best anyone is hoping for, lol. That was a decent flick, but the fact that it was better than the muck we usually get made it seem better than it actually was. I enjoyed it.

If you haven't watched Generation Kill, go watch it. It's got some pretty realistic radio chatter.

Of course man... those guys made Homicide and The Wire... that's the kind of dialogue they excel at! Thanks for mentioning that though... perfect example.

• 3 weeks later...

Most of the story revolves around Rick being a circus pilot.

Nah, in the present day, Lick Hunter should be a Red Bull air racer

http://www.redbullairrace.com/cs/Satellite/en_air/Official-Red-Bull-Air-Race-Homepage/001238611393596

Nah, this could be much worse, think G-Saviour bad! :p

And is the movie 'Stealth' the unofficial sequel or prequel? :D

Graham