Live-action Robotech Movie

zulu

Google my friend. This ship was definitely not in the animation:

sdf2-sizecomparison.gif

And I knew I'd seen this image before. It was in the Robotech comic:

Taking it back a few weeks, and completely off topic, look at the lines on that SDFM SDF-1. Dammit, why couldn't Yamato have made one of those. I love that profile.

• 3 months later...

Leonardo DiCaprio interested in Robotech movie:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/24/leonardo-dicaprio-interested-in-robotech-movie

Please no, I want this to die.

It's a bullshit story. How do we know? They say he turned down a role in Episode VII to star in Robotech. 1, that's entirely unbelievable, and 2, they don't cast major stars in SW movies.

IGN is basing this story on a report from a website called Latino Review that noted it for a Star Wars piece. Does anyone find it strange that a lot of breaking news about Robotech these days are coming from news sources and websites that most people would never know existed if someone else wasn't informed beforehand? For example, Love Live Alive got some exclusive coverage from some random Austrailian anime website but barely anything from sites that traditionally kept track of anything Robotech years ago like The Anime News Network.

Some confirmation of this would be good before SOMEONE prematurely milks it for all it's worth (again).

Edited by Einherjar

TheForce.net is reporting the rumor (along with LR's story about Lucasfilm looking at Zac Efron and Ryan Goaling), but state fairly bluntly that they don't believe it.

Generally speaking, TFN is the bullshit meter for Star Wars rumors. They're the ones who debunked the Abrams leaving SW7 rumors that set the Internet on fire last week.

Edited by Duke Togo

LatinoReview isn't an unknown site. They've been doing movie news longer than Deadline. I'm not saying this story is true but LR has been reporting scoops and movie news to a wide audience for a while now.

I have to add, as someone in the film industry, this thing has been in pre-production for almost 5 years.

It's not a writing problem, it's a funding problem. Studio's don't pay people to sit around and figure out

how to get a movie rolling...

My guess is Maguire is not a good Producer, and isn't getting the backing he needs to make the film.

Also remember, WB has the rights to use it, it means they only pay WHEN they use it.

So there is no real incentive for them to push anything out fast.

It's a bullshit story. How do we know? They say he turned down a role in Episode VII to star in Robotech. 1, that's entirely unbelievable, and 2, they don't cast major stars in SW movies.

Alec Guiness, Liam Niesen, Samuel L. Jackson.

Alec Guiness, Liam Niesen, Samuel L. Jackson.

Ewan McGregor, Natalie Portman.

I can see people turning down Star Wars or Star Trek because of the mess they leave those franchises in, but a lot of people want to work with Abrams, specially on a reboot/restart type thing. But an actor like Leo doesn't need JJ Abrams... he's already worked with Scorsese, Tarantino, Cameron, Nolan. And those guys set up the production based on his needs. It's almost like asking Depp to be in SW. He'll do it if Burton directs it, because then the story will be about some crazy jedi with some crazy hair running around the Death Star saying crazy things.

It's almost like asking Depp to be in SW. He'll do it if Burton directs it, because then the story will be about some crazy jedi with some crazy hair running around the Death Star saying crazy things.

Now THAT would be interesting.

BTW, according to Yune at SDCC, it doesn't sound like they even have a script for this thing yet.

I'm glad there's someone else taking about it, my only source in WB said there's not even a approved treatment yet.

That kind of confirm's he was correct and vise versa.

You don't get a scriptwriter until you get an approved Treatment.

I have to add, as someone in the film industry, this thing has been in pre-production for almost 5 years.

It's not a writing problem, it's a funding problem. Studio's don't pay people to sit around and figure out

how to get a movie rolling...

My guess is Maguire is not a good Producer, and isn't getting the backing he needs to make the film.

Also remember, WB has the rights to use it, it means they only pay WHEN they use it.

So there is no real incentive for them to push anything out fast.

Hell, I'm almost willing to bet that WB has seen just how unpopular Robotech is and is totally unwilling to fork out the money to actually produce a film!

At the time he was asked Samuel Jackson was about to surpass Harrison Ford as the highest grossing actor in the world.

And Sam Jackson has had the leading roles in how many films?

I don't think you guys are getting the concept. It would have been like Lucas casting Al Pacino in the original. Or Russel Crowe in one of the prequels. It hasn't happened.

Edited by Duke Togo

And Sam Jackson has had the leading roles in how many films?

I don't think you guys are getting the concept. It would have been like Lucas casting Al Pacino in the original. It hasn't happened.

If you read my posts I agree with you about Leo... you're the one that said they don't cast major stars in SW, that wasn't something done on purpose in the 70s. That's budgetary...

Sam Jackson is no lightweight and you can check his IMDB about how many times he's been a leading man.

That Leo rumor, even though the percentage of it being true is really low, probably already made it to Tommy Yune's powerpoint presentation as a bullet point. So expect to see that at those convention panel videos for the next five years.

Macross Vs Robotech. Ok, serious question here. Given the release of the latest anime to live action films released in Japan (Uchuu Senkan Yamato, Rurouni Kenshin, Gatchaman etc), which movie would be less $hitty, Macross (if they ever decide to make it) or Robotech?

Special effets aside, I think it would be pretty hard to find actors in Japan that would capture the proper essence of the characters from SDF Macross and I'm really afraid that any attempt to make a live action Macross would end up looking like a studio version of Power Rangers. Live action Yamato was alright, but some of the acting was downright brutal and made me cringe at times.

I'm not saying Robotech would be better, but it would be pretty damn hard to make Macross good.

Edited by peter

Macross Vs Robotech. Ok, serious question here. Given the release of the latest anime to live action films released in Japan (Uchuu Senkan Yamato, Rurouni Kenshin, Gatchaman etc), which movie would be less $hitty, Macross (if they ever decide to make it) or Robotech?

Special effets aside, I think it would be pretty hard to find actors in Japan that would capture the proper essence of the characters from SDF Macross and I'm really afraid that any attempt to make a live action Macross would end up looking like a studio version of Power Rangers. Live action Yamato was alright, but some of the acting was downright brutal and made me cringe at times.

I'm not saying Robotech would be better, but it would be pretty damn hard to make Macross good.

Macross (like Robotech) would only work with an international cast. Roy, Claudia, Minmay, & Kim would be fairly easy to cast but Hikaru, Misa, & Gloval might be tough..

Macross (like Robotech) would only work with an international cast. Roy, Claudia, Minmay, & Kim would be fairly easy to cast but Hikaru, Misa, & Gloval might be tough..

I've always thought casting a live action version would be tough to do right because the cast of characters. Their ethnic/national backgrounds is diverse and complex to a point where my head spins thinking about it. Was South Ataria Island internationally populated, where most people communicate in English, or was it a Japanese island and everyone had to learn Japanese?

I would definitely say that South Ataria Island was internationally populated considering that the restoration of the Macross was a multi-national project. I think we can safely say that English was the main language everyone involved was speaking.

The announcements by military were all done in english and most of the letters were written in english also (e.g.: Minmay's acceptance letter into the Miss Macross contest.) Misa's translation of DYRL was done in english so we can also assume that it was sung by Minmay in english.