Live-action Robotech Movie

zulu

Unless they actually greenlight this flick, I'll go back into sleep mode. We still don't know how well Pacific Rim will do (Similar genre). Also going into play is WB's new CEO, Kevin Tsujihara. Jeff Robinov (WB's film/box-office chief) and Bruce Rosenblum (WB's TV chief) may decide to leave WB, which would probably further delay things. And considering the Highlander-remake just lost its director, names can be thrown but that doesn't mean they'll stick.

Unless they actually greenlight this flick, I'll go back into sleep mode. We still don't know how well Pacific Rim will do (Similar genre). Also going into play is WB's new CEO, Kevin Tsujihara. Jeff Robinov (WB's film/box-office chief) and Bruce Rosenblum (WB's TV chief) may decide to leave WB, which would probably further delay things. And considering the Highlander-remake just lost its director, names can be thrown but that doesn't mean they'll stick.

Ditto...why waste time with such a trivial piece of info anyway...we all know that in the end there will be no movie because of the global economic crisis.

When it comes to casting the next RT movie, they can cast this guy as Roy for sure:

post-2668-0-32077600-1361295499.jpg

Edited by Zor Primus

Then a quick question. Do we know how long WB optioned this for? Is there a time limit at all?

Normally? 10 years seems to be the rolling industry standard (Judging by movies like Fox's Daredevil (2003), Sony's Spiderman-franchise (2002-2007) and Amazing Spiderman (2012), Fox's X-Men-series (2000-2009, 2010-?). Most seem to have it for about 10 years, then the rights revert back to the originating party, if nothing is done. As in, you have 10 years to do something or else it reverts back to the originating owners. You can extend it after 10 years by making new products (i.e., make more movies). But that appears to be on the major-studios level. IIRC, Maguire Entertainment (Tobey Maguire's company) were the ones to acquired the license with WB on-board as the distribution studio. My feeling is if Maguire Ent. can't do something by 2017, WB will probably drop out, unless they want an extension. After which, Maguire Ent. can go to Disney, Sony, Fox, Paramount, etc. But again, that's just what I see and hear.

There's also this thing in Hollywood when they sign a new director, they attach projects to his/her name to create buzz. They choose the projects that best fit their reels or commercial so that there's a reason for the press release.

There's also this thing in Hollywood when they sign a new director, they attach projects to his/her name to create buzz. They choose the projects that best fit their reels or commercial so that there's a reason for the press release.

But WB has announced nothing about the director, right?

Have you seen this guy's resume? There isn't much to announce.

That makes me wonder why they would approach someone with that kind of background in the industry for this.

Also, is it just me, or does it seem like the people that have been approached to work on the RINO over the years have come and gone in a descending order of industry experience/reputation up to now? Judging by Nic Mathieu's resume, it seems like they've come to the point where they're getting just about anyone for it.

That makes me wonder why they would approach someone with that kind of background in the industry for this.

That's the point... when they get signed the publicity dept of the agency gives them a list of movies on the back burner to beef up the press release. Not saying it's exactly what happened here but it's the case most of the time. It's just like when they start or reboot a franchise, they release a statement saying it's been greenlit for a sequel before the movie is actually released, then you never hear another word from it or it gets rebooted again without addressing the last movie.

Because of the legal issues, I wonder if this will be a continuation of where Shadow Chronicles left off.

What legal issues?

And no, we are not making this a legal debate thread. If you don't know, go read the pinned thread.

That's the point... when they get signed the publicity dept of the agency gives them a list of movies on the back burner to beef up the press release. Not saying it's exactly what happened here but it's the case most of the time. It's just like when they start or reboot a franchise, they release a statement saying it's been greenlit for a sequel before the movie is actually released, then you never hear another word from it or it gets rebooted again without addressing the last movie.

Yeah, I think that the "Film isn't out be we are greenlighting a sequel" is also a confidence building activity for the studio, trying to impress the potential audience by effectively saying "we want you to think that this film is so good and we are so confident with it that we are making another". I think such announcements were made for Tron 2 AND Green Lantern, but not much has happened since on either.....

Let's look at this from the 50,000ft point of view. More people get "pulled" into the story and our fanbase grows. That probably means more merchandise and cool stuff to look forward to. Try and keep an open mind. On that note, hopefully this will be Maross based versus the Shadow Chronicles take off. I know HG left a bad tatse in everybody's mouth so to speak, but this might just turn out great. Time will tell! - MT

I would like to see a US Macross ie Robotech and nothing else. The story has enough material to make three movies. Its nicely sequenced and has a limited amount of mechs to make it successful budget wise. The characters are also full of dialogue so no issues there. Star Wars has shown that it can multi layer a lot of galactic ships with all sorts of pew pews in smaller fighters. The only difference the valks will transform. Again budget saving. Further The valks wont have to be complex tinfoil transformations ie transformers, more budget saving since the graphics department dont have to rewire their brains to figure out how to uncrumple tin foil in order to make something a robot.

Toys wise. NO. Not the US distributed ones. I would like to see TakTomy, Bandai and Arcadia jump on the bandwagon.

I would like to see a US Macross ie Robotech and nothing else. The story has enough material to make three movies. Its nicely sequenced and has a limited amount of mechs to make it successful budget wise. The characters are also full of dialogue so no issues there. Star Wars has shown that it can multi layer a lot of galactic ships with all sorts of pew pews in smaller fighters. The only difference the valks will transform. Again budget saving. Further The valks wont have to be complex tinfoil transformations ie transformers, more budget saving since the graphics department dont have to rewire their brains to figure out how to uncrumple tin foil in order to make something a robot.

Toys wise. NO. Not the US distributed ones. I would like to see TakTomy, Bandai and Arcadia jump on the bandwagon.

The Macross story's definitely suited for a trilogy. As long as they keep Roy in it until the middle of the 2nd movie. If they kill him off too quick, I'd say there ought to be violent revolt at HG corporate headquarters; torches, pitchforks, the works...

The Macross story's definitely suited for a trilogy. As long as they keep Roy in it until the middle of the 2nd movie. If they kill him off too quick, I'd say there ought to be violent revolt at HG corporate headquarters; torches, pitchforks, the works...

Well they always tweek things a bit to make it different. My thinking is they will probably choose not to kill off roy but probably Minmay and replace her with a clone. You how these things go :lol:

Edit OH SNAP what if they turn it into a musical :blink:

Edited by slaginpit

They will look like the fighters from "Stealth"...

Muahahaa...

Frankly, that won't surprise me one bit. In fact, I'd even expect them to cast Jessica Biel as Lisa Hayes, and have Jamie Foxx in drag play Claudia. :p

Edited by GU-11

No offense intended, but do you patrol people being negative about other things, or just Robotech? Because, honestly, the "Pacific Rim" thread could use some patrolling now. Lots of negativity there.

like-button.jpeg