Live-action Robotech Movie

zulu

"Hollywood live-action version of "Macross" planning is back."

Interesting..Even RT's history of being a merger of Macross, Southern Cross, & Mospeada is even mentioned..

Not really, the article is basically a translation of the press release with a couple of tagged on editorials about other Japanese works currently in the planning in Hollywood.

Robotech Master is Chris Meadows, Justy Ueki did a different podcast.

Now I remember. Justy did the RDF Underground podcast, and was probably one of the more rational ones talking about the franchise online way back when, or was at least more down to earth about it than others. More importantly, I think he knew when things were going to hell and to just walk away from it.

Edited by Einherjar

Wow, this on the Heels of hearing about a Ghost in the Shell Live action Movie. I'm Not sure how I feel about this, I didn't care for robotech since I saw macross first. Also, I skipped over RT, once I figured out where the BattleTech Unseen had originally come from, I went straight to the source. Still, could be fun to see some transforming fighter jets, minus tv trope personalities, kick alien butt. I'll reserve judgement, but I don't have high expectations.

Wow, this on the Heels of hearing about a Ghost in the Shell Live action Movie. I'm Not sure how I feel about this, I didn't care for robotech since I saw macross first. Also, I skipped over RT, once I figured out where the BattleTech Unseen had originally come from, I went straight to the source. Still, could be fun to see some transforming fighter jets, minus tv trope personalities, kick alien butt. I'll reserve judgement, but I don't have high expectations.

Where were you during the last few years of media blitzes that happened around this time for this? A lot of people have come and gone as possible the directors and other positions for this film over the years.

Where were you during the last few years of media blitzes that happened around this time for this? A lot of people have come and gone as possible the directors and other positions for this film over the years.

Yup, this reminds me of the line from Gettysburg about the latest commanding general of the army of the Potomac "its hard to keep track of them as they go by"

Maybe this time they actually will make a movie but the track record is nothing to bank on.

Scary to see Robotech Master (aka Justy Yuki?) formally from the Space Station Liberty podcast still trying to defend this after all these years, seemingly popping up whenever the franchise is mentioned online.

Want something SCARIER?!

Look at THIS comment!

sonicsnout 6 days ago

I am a purist about some things, but to this day I will take Robotech over Macross any day of the freaking week. Not even a question. If only because the music in Robotech is SO SO MUCH better.... the goofy pop music is so ubiquitous in Macross, I just can't take it seriously. It doesn't carry anywhere near the same weight as the orchestral/action-appropriate themes in Robotech. I believe all the music was by Ulpio Minucci.

Robotech music...better?

The lesson here is don't let your kids drop acid while watching robotech!

For all their faults, one thing that I thought HG did well were the voice actors and the background music. There were a number of scenes that originally had no background music that were, in my opinion, improved by HG's additions.

As for the actual vocal music -- I realize it has a huge following, but c'mon... it's cheesy 80s J-Pop vs. cheesy 80s American pop. No winners here.

With threads like this, I think they've "conveniently" forgot a whole lot of stuff over the last 30 years than just music. For instance, I thought I remembered someone who worked on Star Wars getting involved in this movie. The name I forget (please don't remind me, I'm trying to make a point), but it's not like he really matters anymore. Same goes for that guy who played the first Spider-Man on the big screen who got the ball rolling, way back when he was the only Spider-Man on the big screen. Remember how long ago those people came and went and suddenly replaced by other people who suddently came and went.

Edited by Einherjar

Just your opinion. If moe helps them profit more, then what is the problem?

Well, sure, if profit is the only thing that matters. But if all a production cares about is profit, it's creatively bankrupt.

As far as Robotech music goes... songs excepted(and those were redubbed versions of the japanese songs anyways, so tehy aren't really "Robotech music") , I love it. I consider it separate but equal to Macross.

The 80s-synth Star-Wars-Lite feel is great.

As far as on-topic goes... wake me when there's something on-topic to be said.

I always find my thoughts are complicated when it comes to the whole debate over the Macross vs. Robotech music. I mean, I'm not a fan of Robotech in any way, so I have no love for any of the Robotech music. I've clearly got a bias toward Macross. However, I really do find it puzzling to read preferences for that Robotech music.

As a Macross fan I will concede this: the Macross music is very dated, very pop and very melodramatic/chessy. I admit the music works for me, in spite of the fact that I'm very self-aware of it's actual questionable quality/worth as standalone music. However, there is the fact that the vocals are quality. Ijima's talent is undeniable.

On the flip side, I've no idea why people like that Robotech singing or that background music. The Robotech vocalists were not good singers. Listening to it now - without being drunk on a tankard of nostalgia - is like listening to the worst of American Idol.

Macross = talented vocalist singing dated, melodramatic Japanese pop music cheese.

Robotech = poor vocalist singing dated, melodramatic American pop music cheese.

To my mind, Macross is the clear winner here...in a battle of dated pop music cheese, LOL :)

As for the Robotech score, it's well known in film circles that the late 1970s and most of the 1980s were plagued by "over-scoring" or "over-playing". There was this insufferable trend in western popular media to score virtually every moment of a movie, TV show or video or to go as grandly over-the-top as humanly possible. Robotech is an especially egregious example, clearly scored by a trend whore. Personally, I find the Robotech background music so damned obnoxious.

If one has an orgasmic adoration for the 1980's period of western pop music, I suppose I can at least understand liking the Robotech music from that perspective. I've no orgasmic adoration for Japanese pop music of the 1980s, so I'd like to think the Macross music has some greater value in spite of my nostalgia-colored glasses. But I suppose at the end of the day it's all just another flavour of rationalization. I suppose I'm just really happy that I have the original SDF Macross to enjoy, warts and all :)

Well, sure, if profit is the only thing that matters. But if all a production cares about is profit, it's creatively bankrupt.

As far as Robotech music goes... songs excepted(and those were redubbed versions of the japanese songs anyways, so tehy aren't really "Robotech music") , I love it. I consider it separate but equal to Macross.

The 80s-synth Star-Wars-Lite feel is great.

As far as on-topic goes... wake me when there's something on-topic to be said.

They were not ALL redubbed songs! Stage fright was NEVER a Macross song. They used that crap to replace Shao Pai Long which was far superior

BTW the superman cheesy ripoff in Robotech was almost the same score used in the cheesy rip off of Go Lion! (Voltron)

They were not ALL redubbed songs! Stage fright was NEVER a Macross song. They used that crap to replace Shao Pai Long which was far superior

BTW the superman cheesy ripoff in Robotech was almost the same score used in the cheesy rip off of Go Lion! (Voltron)

I'd swear Stage Fright was dubbed over the music of one of the original songs, but I'm probably crazy.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Apparently there are new rumblings...

http://www.slashfilm.com/robotech-live-action-movie/

Sounds exactly like the pedigree I'd expect :)

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/406849-robotech-movie-plans-are-back-on-track

Well, this is a shocker. The makers of 300 doing live action Robotech?

i randomly clicked on here... thought robotech academy was still trying to get money...

I also feel the Robotech scoring was better than Macross, but I think it's because of my "80's American kid" perspective that it just fit better for the sequences the music accompanied. I loved whenever Rick Hunter's theme played because it meant great action was about to happen, and "We Will Win" was set very nicely to the dramatic final battle with Dolza's fleet. Likewise, the piano version of We Will Win accompanying sad moments like Roy's death did a great job of backing up the emotion of the scene.

Watching Macross, conversely, I didn't really like Shao Pai Long as an action/big hero moment theme, nor the fast guitar main theme because they seemed jarring and inappropriate to the scene, as well as a bit inconsistent in style. If I were growing up with those kinds of themes accompanying other media I watched, it might be a different story.

The point of score is to help a scene evoke the emotion that the action and dialogue are trying to convey, and it isn't unreasonable to think if the music fits the familiar trends and themes in a viewer's culture it is going to resonate better.