Live-action Robotech Movie

zulu

A "renegade hero"? It seems time that they've already started on the wrong foot there, LOL.

One of two things will happen here. A) it stays in development hell for years and then is quietly dropped for a better project.

B) Someone at Sony looks at the franchise and the mess it is, and then Gets the licensing rights sorted. They cannot use Valks without Big West's approval if I understand correctly.

They cannot use Valks without Big West's approval if I understand correctly.

They can use a transforming jetplane, they can probably even CALL it a Valkyrie(though they'd want to call it a Veritechâ„¢), they just can't use any of the canon Macross designs(not that it stopped the Robotech comic books).

And, well... Hollywood was never going to use a canon Macross design anyways. If they use something that looks like it could actually fly, I'll be surprised enough.

Doesn't matter. Macross designs are owned by Big West. If they want Kawamori to draw mechs specifically for Robotech, they have to pay him for the job of designing a non-Valk VF.

You know, that would be completely meta on Sony's part: Paying Kawamori, who has worked on Macross throughout his career, to work on Robotech and separate the two properties by giving Robotech its own unique designs that the writers could use in a unique live-action story.

I wonder how likely this would be? And how much would Sony have to pay?

I think unlikely, but who knows?

You know, that would be completely meta on Sony's part: Paying Kawamori, who has worked on Macross throughout his career, to work on Robotech and separate the two properties by giving Robotech its own unique designs that the writers could use in a unique live-action story.

That doesn't necessarily escape the copyright issues does it? I'm not an intellectual property expert, but I read stories in the news now and then about lawsuits occurring over creative works just over the fact that something resembles something else. If Sony asks Kawamori to design transforming fighter planes for Robotech, what are the chances that there will be at least some similarities to Macross designs?

That doesn't necessarily escape the copyright issues does it? I'm not an intellectual property expert, but I read stories in the news now and then about lawsuits occurring over creative works just over the fact that something resembles something else. If Sony asks Kawamori to design transforming fighter planes for Robotech, what are the chances that there will be at least some similarities to Macross designs?

Yeah. I don't have an answer for the legal question. I'm not experienced in those matters. Mine is more idle speculation, I think Kawamori could make some cool designs for a live-action film. And taking a more realistic approach, I would think the same of whoever is tasked with designing the mecha. I don't expect to see a VF-1 or VF-0 in a Robotech film. Seeing updated modern transforming...things...would be cool. Who knows, we may be surprised?

One thing Robotech needs is its own fresh story. Alas, the team at HG seems unable to break away from the "borrow" model to deliver decent animation. Would Sony have to follow the same model for its film or would the studio be able to make something completely new?

If the project survives, my hope is that it doesn't end up as messy as Bayformers.

Edited by technoblue

HG are Executive Producers. Why would a guy design new fighters for the same company blocking all of his works from being known across the rest of the world? Getting something made by Kawamori sounds like a great idea, if I were Kawamori I wouldn't do it however. Not without a concession like "Macross can be released in the rest of the world otherwise."

They won't hire Kawamori to design Veritechs. We don't even know if they'll be doing the Macross part of the storyline, or if it will be recognizable as such.

If this goes ahead, they'll use a trendy US production designer. Good for whomever gets the gig, but I will not expect anything resembling the sleek, plausible look of Kawamori & Myatake's SDFM designs.

The best we can possibly hope for is that somehow WM Cheng gets attached to the project. Although that might provide some ethical dilemmas for him ;), he'd probably work in classic SDFM elements into the sets, like he did on The Thing, Total Recall & Pacific Rim.

Edited by Kelsain

HG are Executive Producers. Why would a guy design new fighters for the same company blocking all of his works from being known across the rest of the world? Getting something made by Kawamori sounds like a great idea, if I were Kawamori I wouldn't do it however. Not without a concession like "Macross can be released in the rest of the world otherwise."

However Kawamori doesn't own Macross. He gets a creator credit and the work he does is like work for hire for Big West. BW gets the bulk of the money for any international release of Macross. You offer up enough money could he be swayed to design for Sony? Maybe, he has a history with Sony..

hmmm, i think its only natural for us on a macross site to think they'd do that part of the story. robotech's format does lend itself to the by now classic movie "trilogy" format....BUT who is to say that this movie doesn't pick off where say....shadow chronicles left off? or something brand new.

i would LOVE to have something brand new vs. a bastardized version of the original itself bastardizing robotech. throw in some fan service for the 80s kids (like me!) but do something new for once....

i can't beleive i think that since i have wanted to see a good SDFM live action since i was a kid but....i just don't think sony pictures here in america.....would do it justice. i'd be ecstatic to be proven wrong.

also...who would sony cast as rick hunter? they guy with an anglo name but mostly drawn like a skinny japanese guy? would they do an adopted kid thing? or just go straight to white guy?

However Kawamori doesn't own Macross. He gets a creator credit and the work he does is like work for hire for Big West. BW gets the bulk of the money for any international release of Macross. You offer up enough money could he be swayed to design for Sony? Maybe, he has a history with Sony..

It isn't about him owning it, it's about his work being stolen and blocked from the world by the Executive Producers.

Here's a stupid question:

Would they even be able to use the words "Macross" or "Zentraedi" (we already know that they can't use the designs without being sued) since they are words made up by Big West??

The name Macross has been copyrighted outside of Japan if I understand correctly by Harmony Gold, so I don't think that would be an issue.

Edited by Marzan

I can't believe people are still raging over the designs. The new designs were done well. What failed the Transformer sequels was the cruddy stories and direction.

This is the same problem Robotech will face as well.

Really? Would you be saying the same thing if that abonination was supposed to be a VF-1 in a new live action Macross (or Robocrap for that matter) directed by that hack?

Edited by peter

The best we can possibly hope for is that somehow WM Cheng gets attached to the project. Although that might provide some ethical dilemmas for him ;), he'd probably work in classic SDFM elements into the sets, like he did on The Thing, Total Recall & Pacific Rim.

I WOULD KILL TO GET ON THIS PRODUCTION!!! But it may be a living hell if that actually comes true. I was getting the inside scoop on the live action Akira and seeing the artwork and they've got the absolute worst people working on it - they are not anime fans at all, in fact most of them didn't even want to see the original Japanimation because they wanted to do their own take on it and not be influenced by previous work (WTF?!) In fact, "they" (producers) fired Ruairi Robinson (original team) because his team was trying to respect the original material too much (he's the one that did this:

- amazing mech designs, certainly not more of that SoCAL School of Hollywood Ironman mech design)

I can see this happening here with Robotech too - these people/producers just don't understand that the designs are integral to the story of Macross. They feel we are a niche audience (existing fan base) and will try to pitch this to as wide of an audience as possible. Sometimes its just so infuriating to see who gets picked for these jobs - it makes no sense whatsoever!

Like I said, best case!

And that's the thing, right? The people making the movies have no allegiance or regard to the source material. The plan these days is to grab a 1980's toy IP, fill it with chunky designs, come up with a rough plot (sometimes after filming, if at all), profit. They presume that we'll all just show up, even if we all leave screaming about having our childhood r*ped. The fact that we show up at all - especially opening weekend - is the only thing that matters.

I can't believe people are still raging over the designs. The new designs were done well. What failed the Transformer sequels was the cruddy stories and direction.

You're joking right?

The tin foil I wadded up after heating up my pizza in the toaster oven had better design quality . . .

believe it! if the designs were respectful of the source material the bad stories and plot holes would have been forgiven....like totally. give us ugly crap that is an insult to the original source material and u have fan rage. if peter cullen had not been the voice of optimus there is NO WAY i could get through any of those movies.

in much the same vain if the updated veritechs are updated designs or homages of the originals....they've bought a lot of forgiveness.

Edited by Mechapilot77

I WOULD KILL TO GET ON THIS PRODUCTION!!! But it may be a living hell if that actually comes true. I was getting the inside scoop on the live action Akira and seeing the artwork and they've got the absolute worst people working on it - they are not anime fans at all, in fact most of them didn't even want to see the original Japanimation because they wanted to do their own take on it and not be influenced by previous work (WTF?!) In fact, "they" (producers) fired Ruairi Robinson (original team) because his team was trying to respect the original material too much (he's the one that did this:

- amazing mech designs, certainly not more of that SoCAL School of Hollywood Ironman mech design)

I can see this happening here with Robotech too - these people/producers just don't understand that the designs are integral to the story of Macross. They feel we are a niche audience (existing fan base) and will try to pitch this to as wide of an audience as possible. Sometimes its just so infuriating to see who gets picked for these jobs - it makes no sense whatsoever!

Perhaps it's impolitic of me to say, but I wouldn't want to see your exceptional talent blown on something like this Robotech film.

Believe me, I understand that as a Macross fan this would be as close to a dream job for you given the original subject matter is Macross, one of the formative influences of your career. But your skills would be wasted. This far into development hell, the chance that it will actually be any good is less than 1%. Everything public released about the movie thus far reveals that the people behind this don't even get Robotech, to say nothing about being a light year away from anything Macross. They are already branding the property for big summer box office homogeneity. There hasn't been a single word printed that indicates there is anyone behind this project with even a spark of passion, innovation or devotion to the source material.

I think you're being a bit hard on the creative SoCal community of filmmaking. There is virtue in an artist wanting to avoid being beholden to nostalgia or source material. I've often critically spoken of such slavish reverence and how it is the Achilles heel of even the best current filmmakers like J.J. Abrams. In a film industry that is currently drowning in creatively bankrupt nostalgia, I can sympathize with some artists defiantly fighting against such pressure. And their unique visions have created some incredible designs in a lot of great films, despite the ratio of crap to great being 10-1 :)

HOWEVER, that isn't the case here with Macross /Robotech because nearly all the grand history of Japanese anime mecha design is an amazing creative goldmine unknown to the vast majority of North American artists. The creative teams on the live action adaptation shouldn't be avoiding that rich history or it's distinctly foreign aesthetics...they should be embracing it as the amazing creative source that it is! I will agree with you that the typical SoCal established style is NOT befitting for something like Macross and is not giving any consideration to how integral the mechanical design is to the IP. To say they don't get it is a galactic understatement, hyperbole justified.

EDIT oh, and yes, get involved in whatever Ruairi is doing. I'd love to see you on the live action project currently happening.

Edited by Mr March

The name Macross has been copyrighted outside of Japan if I understand correctly by Harmony Gold, so I don't think that would be an issue.

I think they put a trademark on Macross. It's like another company cannot use Macross on their products here in the states (merchandising) but it doesn't mean HG can create new animation using the Macross name or designs..

Except that HG made sure to stay far aeay from using the words "Macross" & "Zentradi" in Shadow Chronicles. I'm pretty sure they can't use them in new, non-merch (meaning comics are possibly ok) productions.