Live-action Robotech Movie

zulu

Big ol' meh. Robotech's been done live action already--or at least, it's practically been used to storyboard [various parts of] a live action flick, anyways. An' you know what? It [that movie] sucked ass. It sucked a dead hooker's ass. It sucked a dead hooker's ass that's been locked in the trunk of some old Lincoln on a Jersey turnpike for 2 or 3 days. <_<

ID4 was so awful that I saw it three times in the first two weeks it was out ;)

That image has been floating around the web for over 10 years now.

What was the back story for that pic (besides the whole idea of a semi-variable F-14)? To me, that pic sings of a conventional war story over resources (using Gerwalks, of course)

I did this on a whim trying to see if there was any backstory to Sony eventually getting the rights. Unfortunately, whatever happened behind the scenes may have happened within the past few months in 2015.

https://search.wikileaks.org/advanced?q=robotech&exclude_words=&words_title_only=&words_content_only=&publication_type[]=26&sort=0#results

The excel files had nothing when downloaded, though I wonder what kind of list would have Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles between Night Junkies and Kurt & Courtney. Something gangbusters?

Update: And just to be sure.

https://search.wikileaks.org/advanced?q=macross&exclude_words=&words_title_only=&words_content_only=&publication_type[]=26&sort=0#results

Update 4/27/15: There are apparently more e-mails and docs that wikileaks still needs to add to the database. May need to keep an eye on this for a while. Latest e-mail result was in October from a South American film distribution rep who mentioned a couple of anime series that could be good ideas for live action movies.

Edited by Einherjar

I thought Independence Day was really bad. I hope if they make a Robotech movie it doesn't turn out as generic as that. Robotech was serious and kind of scary to me as a kid. I didn't get how Roy died but that was one of those things that made it more than just a cartoon.

All y'all be hatin'. Independence Day is faultless. Completely without flaw.

Give it time. It will come.

gk7ixijfices05ne32qs.gif

Hehe, I hate to keep coming back to the same old analogy--but you kinda opened the door for that one... :p

Edited by reddsun1

ID4 was a decent, if flawed, attempt to create a then modernized take on War of the Worlds. Sure it could have been done better, but it was the 90s, and that well, it was the 90s and Dean Devlin.

• 2 weeks later...

James Wan In Talks To Direct ‘Robotech’ For Sony

http://deadline.com/2015/04/james-wan-robotech-director-talks-sony-1201418183/

The article glosses over the fact that he has a few other movies he's being tapped for director-duties so who knows if he'll actually stay on-board if they grab him or when he'll even get to a RT movie.

I saw parts of The Conjuring and hadn't seen Furious 7 yet. From looking at his record James Wan on IMDB is a successful director so he could be a good choice. But will it look like Robotech? I suspect we'll see a New Generation film with Cyclones instead of the Macross saga, but I could be wrong :)

It makes me think if Fast and the Furious 7 tanked, Sony wouldn't have cared who James Wan is. But surely one of these years there will be a sucker visionary who will actually say yes. Anyone remember how many we've gone through now?

Edited by Einherjar

James Wan is one of the most sought after directors in Hollywood even before Furious 7. His numbers are probably better than any director right now as far as profitability.

Saw 1.5m production budget/55m domestic haul

Insidious 1.5m/55m

Conjuring 20m/140m

Insidious2 5m/83m

The return of investment on his movies are incredible... compare the percentage of profit to someone like Micheal Bay... Bay only doubles the production costs in profit only on his Transformers movies, his non TF movies are either flops or barely recover their budget. Most... his earlier movies did well.

(...) But will it look like Robotech? I suspect we'll see a New Generation film with Cyclones instead of the Macross saga, but I could be wrong :)

That's an interesting thought - on the one hand, it's a lot more reasonable to make (compare a ragtag group fighting in post apocalyptic rubble to thousands of troops battling it out in space) - thus more likely -, and actually sounds interesting (think Mad Max with transforming motorcycles and alien mecha bugs!).

James Wan is one of the most sought after directors in Hollywood even before Furious 7. His numbers are probably better than any director right now as far as profitability.

All the more reason why a flop could be devastating for such a successful career, combined with the expectations of the industry of him just getting higher over time. And now add a property with some shady legal footing, but very strong nostalgia value, that a studio probably wants to turn into the Anti-Transformers ASAP into the mix.

That's an interesting thought - on the one hand, it's a lot more reasonable to make (compare a ragtag group fighting in post apocalyptic rubble to thousands of troops battling it out in space) - thus more likely -, and actually sounds interesting (think Mad Max with transforming motorcycles and alien mecha bugs!).

Haha, I actually visualized what you wrote. So yeah, I doubt we'll see Veritechs of any kind in a Robotech film. Hollywood has to look at whats cool and will sell for a property that isn't super popular. Hot young actors in a sexy Cyclones will be more appealing than not seeing them in transformable fighter planes. Plus Invid type aliens would be easier to explain to an audience than giant human Zentraedi.

No, as much as it makes sense to do a New Gen movie, and how a JSF can easily be given a Legioss style transformation, it won't happen. We're going to get a mash up of the first two archs, heavier on the first arch leaning on the second arch's character names to avoid legal issues. You can't license "Robotech" and give people a New Gen movie (at least not initially) although I'm sure the mash-up we get (if we ever get anything) would only have very loose parallels to anything in the cartoon (like Transformers).

All the more reason why a flop could be devastating for such a successful career, combined with the expectations of the industry of him just getting higher over time. And now add a property with some shady legal footing, but very strong nostalgia value, that a studio probably wants to turn into the Anti-Transformers ASAP into the mix.

Wan definitely doesn't need Robotech, but Robotech needs someone like Wan, even just using the name as a potential helmer can generate some buzz to the franchise. It's a lot better than the nobodies that they've previously tried to hype up. Like I said before, maybe on this thread... those names were just using Robotech to show they're attached to something in able to get other movies. Now it's the other way around. The studio throwing a name like James Wan gets major investors interested. Attaching a name to a movie makes all the difference *cough,cough,scarlettjohansson,ghostintheshell,cough,cough*

Haha, I actually visualized what you wrote. So yeah, I doubt we'll see Veritechs of any kind in a Robotech film. Hollywood has to look at whats cool and will sell for a property that isn't super popular. Hot young actors in a sexy Cyclones will be more appealing than not seeing them in transformable fighter planes. Plus Invid type aliens would be easier to explain to an audience than giant human Zentraedi.

They'll use the Macross storyline because that's where the most memorable names are. Who the hell are Rand, Rook and Lunk?...The one character I'm wondering if they'll actually use the name of is Minmay.

Also the Zentraedi was the best explanation for giant robots. That was the one thing that made Macross great... things actually made sense. But then again it's being written by the people that wrote The Immortals. YAWN!!!

As for the VF-1s and other designs, even if there weren't any licensing issues... a big Hollywood film would never use the same designs because then they'll have to share merchandising with the license holders. It doesn't matter who owns them. HG or Big West. Remember Hasbro Studios is one of the production companies for Transformers and even they didn't use their own designs.

Yawn...wake me up when someone actually signs onto this project. Actually, nevermind. I don't want to become the next Rip Van Winkle.

I doubt James Wan, or any high-profile director, will sign onto this movie. Due to Harmony Gold's limited rights over Macross, the movie's script will have probably have to be signed off by an intellectual property attorney, in order to avoid a potential infringement lawsuit from Big West. Any significant changes to the script, direction, or designs would also have to be signed off by an IP attorney for the very same reason. A high-profile director, who is used to having a wide degree of latitude when carrying out their artistic vision, is going to balk when told that the studio's legal department will be looking over their shoulder throughout the process. They didn't work their way to the top, only to put on a pair of manacles afterwards. Especially when there are other projects out there to choose from.

I think that it's more likely that a relatively unknown director would be willing to work under these constraints, just to be given a chance to make their big break. Having an unknown director wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, as we've seen novice directors make huge impacts in the past. I just wouldn't count on a big, flashy director signing onto this movie.

They could do far worse than Wan. And Wan might just be a good match for an over-the-top, melodramatic big summer version of Robotech. But this news, as interesting as it is, is still just in-the-shuffle talk. They really need to get their crap together with the development of this project.

Wan definitely doesn't need Robotech, but Robotech needs someone like Wan, even just using the name as a potential helmer can generate some buzz to the franchise. It's a lot better than the nobodies that they've previously tried to hype up. Like I said before, maybe on this thread... those names were just using Robotech to show they're attached to something in able to get other movies. Now it's the other way around. The studio throwing a name like James Wan gets major investors interested. Attaching a name to a movie makes all the difference *cough,cough,scarlettjohansson,ghostintheshell,cough,cough*

Someone should really come up with a definitive list of the all of people who have been linked to this movie at certain points just to show how ridiculous that kind of promotion has been over the years.

Edited by Einherjar

color me excited! a fairly big name to boot. hopefully this gets off the ground. even if it doesn't turn out to be what we always wanted i think it will still be good and fun and over the top without the michael bay style designs bad.

Won't happen at all, not sure why you guys are still falling for this stuff.