Live-action Robotech Movie

zulu

If any of the HG/Robotech panel flat out says they had any influence on the Live Action adaptation (or "implies" they had some hand in it) they are lying like a politician.

Sorry, forgot the sarcasm tags. But really, if you want to waste 40 min of your life listening watch the vids of the panel, they mention they were talking up about the current lot visiting HG like someone who's waiting 3 days for that phone call.

It amazes me how far the HG cabal will go to avoid reality.

Kawamori and crew should plan on doing a crowd-funded Macross project some day. Not that it's necessary, but it would be fun to (you know) see it done right. I can think of a couple other people who could succeed where Yune and company failed too, but I digress. I wouldn't want to get too far off topic. I'm just surprised by how far HG is taking its train of old news and crap commentary.

This whole talk about IP owners reminds me of The Neverending Story. The author hated the movie so bad that he insisted they change the name. The studio was like "You know you signed away all your rights and have no input here right? Buzz off." So then he sued the studio. Then the judge was like "You know you signed away all your rights and have no input right? Buzz off."

Guest davidwhangchoi

Whenever IP owners sell their property to be adapted by a major Hollywood film, they almost always have no input. IP owners love to talk up their involvement with Hollywood because it's a thrill, an ego boost, they look important to others, etc. And the more small time the IP owner, the more they talk. HG fits that bill perfectly.

Reality is whenever an IP owner signs any agreement with the major Hollywood studios, the IP owner doesn't have crap to say about any of it. They get a token producer co-credit and that's it. Hollywood holds all the cards and makes all the rules; your IP "film rights" are temporarily sold to the Hollywood studio and they have TOTAL control over the film adaptation IP. They can do whatever they want with the IP, from a film that resembles nothing of the IP to making nothing with the IP at all.

If any of the HG/Robotech panel flat out says they had any influence on the Live Action adaptation (or "implies" they had some hand in it) they are lying like a politician. There are a thousand and one horror stories about Hollywood adaptations and the IP owners always tell the same sob story: once the IP film rights were sold, they had ZERO input. Only rare exceptions exist.

Sorry, forgot the sarcasm tags.

+1

i wonder if tommy yune will be in the closing credits at all. if he does make it, he'll prob spam that on his bio for the next 30 years.

i wonder if tommy yune will be in the closing credits at all. if he does make it, he'll prob spam that on his bio for the next 30 years.

What do you think? And would you expect any less if he didn't try to get his name these productions?

Guest davidwhangchoi

What do you think? And would you expect any less if he didn't try to get his name these productions?

he's going for: assistant to the assistant to the regional manager

Edited by davidwhangchoi

azrael
I pretty much got the gist of the sarcasm without the tags, but your post created discussion that could inform other thread readers. I think I'm getting enough from your excellent summaries (btw, thank you for these) that I'll avoid the videos themselves. I know almost nothing about the Robotech franchise anyway and I've kinda worked hard to do so. That way very little Robotech franchise knowledge can accidentally find it's way into the Macross Mecha Manual (though I don't always succeed)

jenius
A quintessential case in point. An excellent example of this in action, albiet with a far more naive IP owner than is typical :)

davidwhangchoi
I know nothing of the HG/Robotech personalities, so I'll have to take your word for it. But if this Tom Yune guy is anything like many shallow IP owners, this will be their L.A. gun story for the rest of their lives, to anyone who will listen :)

Guest davidwhangchoi

azrael

I pretty much got the gist of the sarcasm without the tags, but your post created discussion that could inform other thread readers. I think I'm getting enough from your excellent summaries (btw, thank you for these) that I'll avoid the videos themselves. I know almost nothing about the Robotech franchise anyway and I've kinda worked hard to do so. That way very little Robotech franchise knowledge can accidentally find it's way into the Macross Mecha Manual (though I don't always succeed)

jenius

A quintessential case in point. An excellent example of this in action, albiet with a far more naive IP owner than is typical :)

davidwhangchoi

I know nothing of the HG/Robotech personalities, so I'll have to take your word for it. But if this Tom Yune guy is anything like many shallow IP owners, this will be their L.A. gun story for the rest of their lives, to anyone who will listen :)

i didn't know tommy yune until the robotech academy kickstarter. After hearing him spin after spin, i couldn't take anything he said seriously.

there's a guy on here Tom Bateman who used to work at HG who shared firsthand experience with working there. He came up and posted on the RT academy kickstarter campaigner thread.

after seeing the HG presentation this year, Yune says the same B.S. over and over.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

This whole talk about IP owners reminds me of The Neverending Story. The author hated the movie so bad that he insisted they change the name. The studio was like "You know you signed away all your rights and have no input here right? Buzz off." So then he sued the studio. Then the judge was like "You know you signed away all your rights and have no input right? Buzz off."

Thank God the real owners of 1/3 of it isn't a part of any of this BS.

Edited by Einherjar

i didn't know tommy yune until the robotech academy kickstarter. After hearing him spin after spin, i couldn't take anything he said seriously.

there's a guy on here Tom Bateman who used to work at HG who shared firsthand experience with working there. He came up and posted on the RT academy kickstarter campaigner thread.

after seeing the HG presentation this year, Yune says the same B.S. over and over.

I actually remember that thread. As I recall, Bateman's insights were VERY illuminating. Even in the limited context I have for the HG/Robotech IP, his insight rang true on much of the more public and well-known history of that troubled property.

Which part of robotech will they show? macross? southern cross? invid? all 3 in 2 hrs?

would WB spend big bucks on a trilogy for an 80s cartoon's....cough cough...

(btw transformers went downhill after blackout made his supa-dupa transformation...) imho only am sure it appeals to other trans fans..

sounds like Robotech movie is gonna be real messy...

Which part of robotech will they show? macross? southern cross? invid? all 3 in 2 hrs?

would WB spend big bucks on a trilogy for an 80s cartoon's....cough cough...

(btw transformers went downhill after blackout made his supa-dupa transformation...) imho only am sure it appeals to other trans fans..

sounds like Robotech movie is gonna be real messy...

If you do some digging around here, you'll find out that they can not use any design or character elements to the Macross portion of the series.

From a business perspective... uh, did they really need to spend the money on a SDCC panel? I mean.. hey guys look at these couple of themed products? Who the hell is cutting the checks over there? How is the insanely small amount of profit from those few toys, and comic books paying to fund worthless comic con panels?

Are any of these guys actually employed? if so... why?

Watching these is a kin to watching a horse being beaten for almost 20 years without rest.

What the hell did I just read?

Harmony Gold mentioned that they are currently in a direct relationship with SONY pictures and that they are in the works to creating a Live Action Macross movie. In doing so, they assured that the direction of this film will be over seen by the director of the 300 movie series and the director who oversaw the Lord of the Ring series. The CEO of Harmony Gold went on to affirm that the script is being written by James Wan who is indeed an avid Otaku and a master historian on the Macross series.

:unsure:

Poor guy hasn't yet learned the difference between Macross and Robotech. Many of us were once that naive and ignorant.

Read my commentary about part 2 of the panel. Painfully obvious the guy lives in a bubble and doesn't know anything about Macross or Robotech and what happened between the 2 to get us here. Or worst yet, hasn't even done proper research.

What the hell did I just read?

:unsure:

Whole thing is bad, but this is my #1 WTF moment:

"Harmony Gold's longtime goal is to release every Valkyrie resin model that every appeared on any and every Macross series."

Edited by Jefuemon

I must admit, it's been a VERY long time since I've encountered anyone even remotely involved in the anime world THAT naive and uninformed. In the latter 1990s and early 2000s? Sure. Today? Only Entertainment Tonight could possibly get Macross/Robotech/HG any more wrong. :wacko::blink::rolleyes:

Edited by Mr March

I must admit, it's been a VERY long time since I've encountered anyone even remotely involved in the anime world THAT naive and uninformed. In the latter 1990s and early 2000s? Sure. Today? Only Entertainment Tonight could possibly get Macross/Robotech/HG any more wrong. :wacko::blink::rolleyes:

Maybe he's intending to be satirical. Or it's a troll job.

Read my commentary about part 2 of the panel. Painfully obvious the guy lives in a bubble and doesn't know anything about Macross or Robotech and what happened between the 2 to get us here. Or worst yet, hasn't even done proper research.

You could also read the profile of the blogger to get the whole story with him.

and Guillermo Patiño. (that's my cel with their logo)

If it makes you feel any better, he and the actual owner of that blog/podcast logo had a pretty messy falling out a year or two ago. However, the wiki with that pic is currently run by the guy who did the 40 minute rant supporting Robotech Academy.

Sadly these are the people HG is marketing to... specially the ones with the blogs that other people might find and post in a forum just like this but less involved with Macross/Robotech fandom. They even encourage it in the beginning of that panel.

Sadly these are the people HG is marketing to... specially the ones with the blogs that other people might find and post in a forum just like this but less involved with Macross/Robotech fandom. They even encourage it in the beginning of that panel.

I didn't know relevant companies still focused on dime a dozen blogs to reverse their reputations in the age of Facebook. Is that why the new Robotech website operates like one?

Keyword operating there is "relevant"... The site pretty much pushes everyone to their Facebook page. I mostly think that they get their news about the live action movie the same way we do though, thru other entertainment sites. If anyone wants any real relevant news about the LAM, just pay attention to anything released by Sony or the production company and those will be few and far between until they actually start casting. Once we hear about more than one actor being actually signed then it's actually going to start or maybe even have already started production.