Live-action Robotech Movie

zulu

This. That is exactly what I see when I look at Bayformer movie ads. And frankly, it looks silly.

Totally agreed.

Its like when people talk trash on the TOS Enterprise and say JJprise looks more realistic... uhm, no. You don't design something like that to look "sexy". You design for its purpose. Practicality.

That's funny, because the original Enterprise wasn't really designed for practicality either. It was designed to look good, and to not be a rocketship or flying saucer.

Practically speaking, the warp nacelle booms and the saucer neck are glaring weakpoints, and are going to see some wild stresses from constant multi-c accelerations.

(I can't even begin to imagine what sort of construction keeps the warp nacelles from ripping free of their toothpick-like moorings every time they turn them on)

You want practical and "realistic", you fast-forward a few decades/centuries to Deep Space Nine and get down with the Defiant. It doesn't look graceful, sleek, or particularly "Trek-like", but... it's a solid, practical design with no glaring structural weaknesses.

Totally agreed.

That's funny, because the original Enterprise wasn't really designed for practicality either. It was designed to look good, and to not be a rocketship or flying saucer.

Practically speaking, the warp nacelle booms and the saucer neck are glaring weakpoints, and are going to see some wild stresses from constant multi-c accelerations.

(I can't even begin to imagine what sort of construction keeps the warp nacelles from ripping free of their toothpick-like moorings every time they turn them on)

You want practical and "realistic", you fast-forward a few decades/centuries to Deep Space Nine and get down with the Defiant. It doesn't look graceful, sleek, or particularly "Trek-like", but... it's a solid, practical design with no glaring structural weaknesses.

The Enterprise design isn't practical, but it was designed to look practical. Matt Jefferies actually did a pretty realistic first stab, with a small command section attached to a boom that connected to an engine pod with a spinning gravity generator/warp engine, but Roddenberry wanted something that while feeling realistic was more visually distinct.

So in using the Enterprise example I should have clarified: the basic design may not be realistic but HOW it was detailed, painted ect. Was intended to look realistic and practical.

I'm no expert on Star Trek, but I think I remember an interview regarding the warp nacelle needed to be almost separate from the ship because they were warping space around them and not the ship. That explanation made sense to me at the time, but not as much now.

I'm no expert on Star Trek, but I think I remember an interview regarding the warp nacelle needed to be almost separate from the ship because they were warping space around them and not the ship. That explanation made sense to me at the time, but not as much now.

That is correct. But its also just a justification for the design. But again, it gives it that feel of being believable. Like the original intent of the VF-1 transforming into a robot is to be a ground unit to go toe to toe with a Zentraedi. It doesn't TOTALLY work(why not just have a dedicated humanoid robot for that?) But it gives a plausibility to it. And the more practical design of the VF-1 makes it much easier for me, at least, to suspend my disbelief at giant mecha stomping about. Like I look at the Macross Quarter, and the first thing I said to my friend Jon(also a big Macross fan) was, "why does it need actual hands? And why does it have a shield made outta the carrier deck? Why do its legs move? It's never gonna be able to walk planetside!" The SDF-1 is equally absurd but they made it a "not" robot. It has the look of a robot, but other than moving its arms it never acts like a robot, and is treated as a ship regardless of appearance.

The Enterprise design isn't practical, but it was designed to look practical. Matt Jefferies actually did a pretty realistic first stab, with a small command section attached to a boom that connected to an engine pod with a spinning gravity generator/warp engine, but Roddenberry wanted something that while feeling realistic was more visually distinct.

So in using the Enterprise example I should have clarified: the basic design may not be realistic but HOW it was detailed, painted ect. Was intended to look realistic and practical.

Fair enough, I concede the point.

Like I look at the Macross Quarter, and the first thing I said to my friend Jon(also a big Macross fan) was, "why does it need actual hands? And why does it have a shield made outta the carrier deck? Why do its legs move? It's never gonna be able to walk planetside!" The SDF-1 is equally absurd but they made it a "not" robot. It has the look of a robot, but other than moving its arms it never acts like a robot, and is treated as a ship regardless of appearance.

Macross Quarter needed hands and legs so they could claim feature parity with the New Macross series. :p

I believe the expression is "Seven did it"?

Fair enough, I concede the point.

Macross Quarter needed hands and legs so they could claim feature parity with the New Macross series. :p

I believe the expression is "Seven did it"?

Heh. I am really not up to speed on these newer shows. Macross II AND Plus are the most recent iterations I have seen. And the only one that catches my interest is Zero.

Macross Quarter needed all that articulation so it could surf giant asteroids... obviously.

Must let go of hatred of Frontier movies....

Well... that's a thing. Glad I've NOT seen it then 😄

• 4 weeks later...
Guest davidwhangchoi

That's a remarkably crowded panel.

i say that's an inaccurate picture of who's there... almost half of the audience is cut off from the picture on the left.

ROBOTECH INDUSTRY PANEL:

Tommy Yune of Harmony Gold USA presents the latest developments in the Robotech universe, from awesome new products to the live action film in
development at Sony Pictures. Jonathan Brands also joins in to reflect on the development of Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles, which debuted 10 years ago.