Jump to content

Macross Plus Ultimate Edition Blu-ray Release Thread


Recommended Posts

  • 5 weeks later...

Guess what guys? They are doing it AGAIN.  This time with the Vinyl LPs. 

 

https://x.com/AllTheAnime/status/1812192305471750284

 

image.png.9892848be85e6936cef787abbd8efd06.png

 

image.png.1d139e27591831d38d520a179893b005.png

 

Do you want the soundtrack on vinyl? In a 7LP set?? Well then,  you'll have to buy the SHARON APPLE EDITION that comes with the 200 dollar bluray set!

 

This damn thing is going to be 400 USD at least.  

 

I hate All the Anime so very much.  

Edited by Cowboy17v2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Why aren't they putting it out on CD???? I'm old enough to remember buying records on vinyl and don't get me wrong, it's a nice nostalgic trip down memory lane, but I don't want to deal with that format, and all the inconveniences that come with it anymore. I was super happy when CDs emerged as the successor to cassette and vinyl.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, isamu said:

Why aren't they putting it out on CD???? I'm old enough to remember buying records on vinyl and don't get me wrong, it's a nice nostalgic trip down memory lane, but I don't want to deal with that format, and all the inconveniences that come with it anymore. I was super happy when CDs emerged as the successor to cassette and vinyl.

Because no one cares about CD as a format anymore, that's why.  LPs outsell them now!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, isamu said:

Why aren't they putting it out on CD???? I'm old enough to remember buying records on vinyl and don't get me wrong, it's a nice nostalgic trip down memory lane, but I don't want to deal with that format, and all the inconveniences that come with it anymore. I was super happy when CDs emerged as the successor to cassette and vinyl.

Because vinyl is trendy right now, and everyone else moved on to digital.

Physical media in general has been on the decline for the last twenty years thanks to the superior convenience and cost-efficiency of digital downloads and on-demand streaming audio.  Customers have largely moved on from CDs to digital formats the same way customers moved from LPs to CDs for their superior fidelity and capacity back in the 80's.  It's driven a bit of a counterculture-type interest in vinyl, which has seen a modest rise in the last four or so years.  Not to significant levels, but enough to overtake cratering interest in CDs.

I'd assume ATA probably didn't bother pursuing a license for a CD release, since the albums are already available in digital formats worldwide via Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube Music, etc.  The main thing you do with a CD these days is rip it to MP3 or some other format and put it on your phone or cloud-based media app, so what's the bloody point?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They better do some amazing work on the LP cover art.
Don't get me wrong, I adore the macross plus soundtrack and pretty much anything Yoko Kanno does.
But I don't see the point as I'll bet the M+ soundtrack was mixed digitally with 1994 technology, and never remasterd, as far as I know.
The CD's were re-released by Victor in 2013.

I kinda don't see the point....
But hey!.... you hipsters have fun.

To be honest.....I would love to be a audiophile, but too busy being a videophile ^_^

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/13/2024 at 1:14 PM, isamu said:

Why aren't they putting it out on CD???? I'm old enough to remember buying records on vinyl and don't get me wrong, it's a nice nostalgic trip down memory lane, but I don't want to deal with that format, and all the inconveniences that come with it anymore. I was super happy when CDs emerged as the successor to cassette and vinyl.

Just remember that whenever you hear some music nerd talk about the “warmer” sound on Records, that they’re really just referring to the scratchy scraping sound of the needle dragging across plastic 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Big s said:

Just remember that whenever you hear some music nerd talk about the “warmer” sound on Records, that they’re really just referring to the scratchy scraping sound of the needle dragging across plastic 

Scratching against Vinyl!
LOL

Forget the fact that each time you play an LP it degrades.
And you gotta get up off your @ass and move the goddame needle if you wanna hear something again.
Sorry...... "Stylus"
 

Screenshot 2024-07-14 230136.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, oshanmacross said:

Forget the fact that each time you play an LP it degrades.
And you gotta get up off your @ass and move the goddame needle if you wanna hear something again.
Sorry...... "Stylus"

Vintage audio tech is such a scam these days... it's long since fallen victim to "Monster cable"-ization, where objective performance quantification has taken a back seat to simply looking impressive and being conspicuous consumption "luxury" items.

The old school audiophiles would be horrified to hear "the youth" romanticizing the imperfections in mechanically inferior record players with wow and flutter numbers that'd have been unacceptably high in the heyday of LPs. :rofl:  (This I know, because I've heard those strictures in person from the Ford audiophile society in person on a regular basis since I was a kid.  At one of their listening sessions just the other day, they showcased a new model tube amp with MSRP in excess of $70K because expensive=good brainrot has taken over the whole industry.)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Big s said:

Just remember that whenever you hear some music nerd talk about the “warmer” sound on Records, that they’re really just referring to the scratchy scraping sound of the needle dragging across plastic 

"Warmer" sound? They wouldn't know warmer sounds if someone stuck a flamethrower in their ear!!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Vintage audio tech is such a scam these days... it's long since fallen victim to "Monster cable"-ization, where objective performance quantification has taken a back seat to simply looking impressive and being conspicuous consumption "luxury" items.

The old school audiophiles would be horrified to hear "the youth" romanticizing the imperfections in mechanically inferior record players with wow and flutter numbers that'd have been unacceptably high in the heyday of LPs. :rofl:  (This I know, because I've heard those strictures in person from the Ford audiophile society in person on a regular basis since I was a kid.  At one of their listening sessions just the other day, they showcased a new model tube amp with MSRP in excess of $70K because expensive=good brainrot has taken over the whole industry.)

 

Indeed!  I consider myself a practical audiophile, and I dabble in design and building speakers with a friend who does the same for their components even.  I was kinda disappointed when, after years of doing demos for anyone to hear a difference between CD and hi bitrate MP3, he started saying how great LPs were.  But I don't care what anyone says, the static, hum, and delicate nature of LPs are just annoying.

I was doing some historical research into speaker building recently and was recommended to pay attention to anything from Floyd Toole who headed the engineering for Harmon in their heyday.  There's some excellent talks of his you can find on youtube in which he describes having done countless studies on sound quality with both the public and audiophiles.  If they can SEE the speaker, the coolest looking one sounds the best.  If you can't see the speaker, the one with the flattest response sounds the best.  I had naturally assumed that when building my speakers before even having found this; they don't look pretty, and they're not professionally engineered, but they're better than any big box store crap and they sound amazing.  Cheap too.  It's really not that hard to get good sound, and it certainly doesn't take thousands of dollars in equipment to get it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

The old school audiophiles would be horrified to hear "the youth" romanticizing the imperfections in mechanically inferior record players with wow and flutter numbers that'd have been unacceptably high in the heyday of LPs.

Oddly enough records were just the start. I’ve actually seen cassettes attempting to make a comeback in stores

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pontus said:

Indeed!  I consider myself a practical audiophile, and I dabble in design and building speakers with a friend who does the same for their components even.  I was kinda disappointed when, after years of doing demos for anyone to hear a difference between CD and hi bitrate MP3, he started saying how great LPs were.  But I don't care what anyone says, the static, hum, and delicate nature of LPs are just annoying.

I was doing some historical research into speaker building recently and was recommended to pay attention to anything from Floyd Toole who headed the engineering for Harmon in their heyday.  There's some excellent talks of his you can find on youtube in which he describes having done countless studies on sound quality with both the public and audiophiles.  If they can SEE the speaker, the coolest looking one sounds the best.  If you can't see the speaker, the one with the flattest response sounds the best.  I had naturally assumed that when building my speakers before even having found this; they don't look pretty, and they're not professionally engineered, but they're better than any big box store crap and they sound amazing.  Cheap too.  It's really not that hard to get good sound, and it certainly doesn't take thousands of dollars in equipment to get it.

Thanks for that tip, Pontus!! I'll definitely be looking up Floyd Toole's stuff on Youtube later today! :D

Some days, I'd rather deal with cassettes. I was very good at repairing ruined ones and splicing broken magnetic tape!

Edited by pengbuzz
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...