Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

I recently opined that I'd love a VF-1D head that I could pop on a camo Yammie VF-1A (to recreate old model kit boxart). Yeah, it would be Frankensteinian without the tandem cockpit, but I'd take that road until a camo VF-1D ever happened (never, I'd assume). It's just one of those things that always made me wish the designs were more modular overall to allow for that. I still would want missiles for my DX AF as the ports are there, and maybe a strike kit to paint up (as someone has previously) to match. May not be canon, but I like to take advantage of all the options designed-in even if they are carry-overs from other releases and not really meant to be used.

Honestly.. I don't want to buy anything from Bandai until they figure out exactly what's going on with their production lines.

All of the VF-31AX releases have been stinkers, my Max YF-29 had a few mis-drilled/mis-aligned pins, and the paint alignment on the past couple of HMR releases hasn't been great.  I can't shake the feeling that they're dealing with second-rate backup production lines, because these are stupid errors that shouldn't happen.  The paint alignment is one thing, but the fouled-up pins and tabs that don't work are right on the bleeding edge of "this product can't transform correctly."

I think the only VF-1s I still want to see are the VT-1, and a CF-1A.. and MAYBE M&Ms.  But I don't want to shell out for something that's going to be mis-handled, mis-assembled, and require a bunch of fixes out of the box to function correctly.

14 hours ago, ScrambledValkyrie said:

I keep hoping that Bandai will eventually release a DX VF-1S combo set with TV Super Parts and Hikaru pilot, now that they produced one in HMR. Like the GBP set, it would also give those who didn't get the original VF a chance to grab one.

I was reviewing some videos about the super and strike parts and realised that there are no "011" red skull marking for the booster. If the packs are not to be reissued again there is a high chance that we will get a DYRL VF-1A Super Hikaru combo.

1 hour ago, Froy said:

I was reviewing some videos about the super and strike parts and realised that there are no "011" red skull marking for the booster. If the packs are not to be reissued again there is a high chance that we will get a DYRL VF-1A Super Hikaru combo.

Or, if Bandai truly wants to troll Macross collectors, they'll just include the 011 markings with the VF-1A and tell us to fend for ourselves on the secondary market.

What I think is (hopefully) more likely is a reissue of the Super/Strike Parts set along with the 011 markings being included with a VF-1A release. Sure, that means you now have to compete for two POs, and possibly both are TWE items that require you to buy through a proxy, but at least it's...something. A combo set would be nice.

Edited by Anasazi37

I would guess that a DYRL VF-1A  Hikaru will come with the circle for his super parts, probably just thrown in the bag with the instructions. They will then do a standard reissue of the super/strike parts. Of course, Bandai has thrown us some curveballs in the past, so we'll see. Why did we get AngelBirds and Hayao before Hikaru's 1A? Crazy.

14 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Honestly.. I don't want to buy anything from Bandai until they figure out exactly what's going on with their production lines.

All of the VF-31AX releases have been stinkers, my Max YF-29 had a few mis-drilled/mis-aligned pins, and the paint alignment on the past couple of HMR releases hasn't been great.  I can't shake the feeling that they're dealing with second-rate backup production lines, because these are stupid errors that shouldn't happen.  The paint alignment is one thing, but the fouled-up pins and tabs that don't work are right on the bleeding edge of "this product can't transform correctly."

Sounds like a perfect opportunity for the: BANDAI RE ISSUE GAME. Now buy them all again "fixed" =@

Yeah I can almost foresee it too, a set of two red skull circles coded with “011” encased in the blister pack of VF-1A Hikaru on the lower level where the standard stand is included..and Bandai will do a reissue of SSP set to go with that.😉

Edited by Angesdad

Speaking of Hikaru's VF-1A. Did anyone here tried to put Kaki's VF-1A head to Hikaru's VF-1S body?

Just curious if the hole on the head fits the neck and has clearance. I remember a discussion where DX heads or necks to be specific has different shapes so you can't just pull & swap the heads. Or if the whole neck can be detached from the body like the 1/60's?

Thanks!

Edited by no3Ljm

I don't believe the A and S heads are interchangeable, but the A and J ones seemed to be.  I don't recall if it's because the fuselage cut-out for the head is differently shaped, or because of the unique neck design of the S, or possibly a combination of both.

It is, however, really easy to swap around a few parts and get nearly complete DYRL Roy 1S (with accurate tail markings, even! :p)  Just pop the instrument console out of the cockpit, and throw a DYRL figure in the cockpit (either repainted, or an aftermarket/Hasegawa).  The only differences will be a few of the tampo prints, like the extra TV-style warning markings, and the black head arrows instead of yellow.

If we ever get a DYRL Max 1A, you could technically do the same thing for a Max 1S by swapping out the colored parts.  I mixed and matched pieces of broken Yamato 1/60 Max and Roy valks in the past to do the same thing.

16 hours ago, jenius said:

Is there currently no DX VF-1 toys on the horizon? I feel like they should always have us looking forward to something. 

I'm honestly shocked they're not constantly milking this mold. Four years ago I figured I'd have a Roy DYRL, a Max/Milia, and two more missile packs at least by this point. Are they just that afraid of hitting a shelf-warmer? I can never figure out the economics of these things. 

VE-1 or a VT-1 would be nice to see.

I've recently succumbed to HMR as a line, but as much as I've found things to enjoy about them, I found my preference for larger scales renewed. A recent 1/60 scale acquisition slaked that thirst more than HMR, but I would still prefer more early-era 1/48 Macross valks. So, if Bandai wants to milk the mold for another VF-1A/J/S variant anytime soon, I'd still be on board.

On 3/11/2023 at 10:01 PM, jenius said:

Is there currently no DX VF-1 toys on the horizon? I feel like they should always have us looking forward to something. 

A little surprising, too. After Bandai showed off the Hikaru VF-1S DYRL with the "Mechanic Edition" strike parts last year, I'd have thought a pre-order would have happened by now.

13 hours ago, Radioguy said:

VE-1 or a VT-1 would be nice to see.

I've recently succumbed to HMR as a line, but as much as I've found things to enjoy about them, I found my preference for larger scales renewed. A recent 1/60 scale acquisition slaked that thirst more than HMR, but I would still prefer more early-era 1/48 Macross valks. So, if Bandai wants to milk the mold for another VF-1A/J/S variant anytime soon, I'd still be on board.

word, absolutely would love those!!!  pls bandai pls!

a little off topic, but as we're delving into the larger scale discussion.  they did show us the reissued vf-25s (which seem successful) and i'd love all the editions with matte finishes.  also, the yf-19 full set pack was shown at nycc last year right?....  fingers crossed

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/14/2023 at 3:43 PM, Swoosh said:

My DX Armored VF-1J.

IMG_6295.jpeg

I have to say I had no intention of restarting a Valkyrie collection other than the small few I still have but this photo convinced me to buy one of these again!

Beautiful photo Swoosh! 😄👌

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2023 at 2:00 PM, danth said:

But then how do you display per the official artwork?

RoyBot.png

That's a great suggestion!B))  I've got both versions + Stealth. 

Swoosh could really add these models next to to give it some flair!:lol:

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

Edited by Spark-O-Matic
Grammar

On 4/17/2023 at 11:40 PM, canklebreaker said:

Anyone have experience or know if O scale 1/48 railroad building kits are in scale with these valks? As long as they’re 1/48 should make it compatible right???

Should match up roughly, other than the 1/48 pilots tend to be on the small side IIRC.

On 4/17/2023 at 10:40 PM, canklebreaker said:

Anyone have experience or know if O scale 1/48 railroad building kits are in scale with these valks? As long as they’re 1/48 should make it compatible right???

Are you building a diorama? I've  been thinking about building one too with a giant oversized devastator in the corner of a room, scotched earth, ruined building, his foot resting a crushed car. add a dark background picture with ruined buildings and a burning Smokey sky that has parts coming out so it looks 3D.

Ebay has been a good place for reference specs in listing often with pictures with scale specs. you might look into 1/24 scale too to see if your not going too small with 1/48 and some 1/12.  train model scales do not use the same size references.

2 hours ago, Spark-O-Matic said:

Are you building a diorama? I've  been thinking about building one too with a giant oversized devastator in the corner of a room, scotched earth, ruined building, his foot resting a crushed car. add a dark background picture with ruined buildings and a burning Smokey sky that has parts coming out so it looks 3D.

Ebay has been a good place for reference specs in listing often with pictures with scale specs. you might look into 1/24 scale too to see if your not going too small with 1/48 and some 1/12.  train model scales do not use the same size references.

Oh that’s good to know, thanks for the heads up. I’d like some background but wasn’t plan on doing a full on diorama. Your idea sounds awesome though!

MSRP was 25,000 Yen but shipping was a killer because it's very big (both box and toy) and heavy. It seems unlikely they're reissuing it, it may be the worst selling HMR toy to date. A lot of the draw for HMR is the relatively low cost and small size and the Monster doesn't satisfy either of those. Of course it's a magnificent piece and Bandai has been known to make some off the wall choices so.... maybe they will. 

• 2 months later...
12 hours ago, mapendieck said:

has no one 3d printed missiles for the 1/48 vf-1j? I just can't pay what the after-market is on just missiles.

I haven't seen anyone printing a full set, but for the work involved, it's probably a better deal to just buy the 1/48 Hasegawa set for the models, and build hardpoint adapters into the pylons.

Bandai made the pylons ridiculously stubby for some reason, so the Hasegawa set is a pretty huge improvement if you're displaying them in fighter or gerwalk.