Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

On 4/21/2023 at 8:09 AM, xwing said:

Little off topic but does anyone know if/when a reissue of the HMR Monster is coming? I remember reading something rather recently about seeing it at a show and coming soon. 
Also what would retail be on this?

The only items shown at shows teasing re-releases have been the oss Frontier DX toys..

We were lucky that Bandai had the audacity to even release the HMR Monster in the first place....they probably just broke even on it at best....but it got our attention and respect!  Hoping they finally release the remaining Destroids soon....we've been waiting for years now for a complete set of HMR "in scale" Macross Destroids....WTH Bandai!

8 hours ago, Shawn said:

Have a quick pic to show the Hasegawa missiles on the DX? Very curious!

I don't know if anyone posted completed pics, but it's pretty easy to find a photo comparison.  For reference, here's Jenius's review of the missile set, which includes photos comparing the Bandai and Yamato missiles in all scales:

https://anymoon.com/blog/?p=13242

Bandai-DX-Missiles-7.jpg?ssl=1

Otherwise, there are lots of pictures of the Hasegawa weapons set, both CAD and photos applied to the Hasegawa 1/48 VF-1 kits, so it's a pretty easy visual comparison.  The most obvious difference is that Hasegawa goes all-in on the realistic details, and the pylons are a huge step up from what Bandai shoved out.

Lots of good product pictures here.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10289601

10289601z3.jpg

The biggest headscratcher about Bandai's version is that they went to the trouble of making the working flaps on the DX VF-1.. and then restricted them from moving with the missiles mounted.  I did the comparison back when they released, and the pylons of the HMR missiles are literally longer than the DX version.

Anyhow, as far as what would be involved in modding the pylons to fit the DX, the most reliable way would be to hack up the missile set and transplant the hardpoints from one set to the other, but what I remember seeing was someone making a 3D-printed part that could be glued into the Hasegawa pylons to allow them to mount on the Bandai hardpoints.

Edited by Chronocidal

The shorter pylons also allow some of the missiles to fit when you fold the wings up in battroid mode.  Whether that was an intended design feature I have no idea, but there it is.

I also think at this point in the VF-1s life, companies are trying different things, for better or worse.  Bandai is currently producing VF-1s in two different scales.  I can see why they might be trying a different approach to tampo, paint and accessories, regardless of real life or anime accuracy.

43 minutes ago, HardlyNever said:

The shorter pylons also allow some of the missiles to fit when you fold the wings up in battroid mode.  Whether that was an intended design feature I have no idea, but there it is.

I also think at this point in the VF-1s life, companies are trying different things, for better or worse.  Bandai is currently producing VF-1s in two different scales.  I can see why they might be trying a different approach to tampo, paint and accessories, regardless of real life or anime accuracy.

I'm not necessarily criticizing making up markings to splatter everywhere to make it look like they know what they're doing, but I absolutely am going to call out printing numbers backwards, then claiming it was on purpose, and then doubling down on the idea that people might want backwards numbers (note: not mirrored, but with the digits in reverse order) and including a set of alternate decals to fix their screwup.. instead of just admitting it was wrong.  Heaven forbid they admit that something obviously wrong was actually wrong. :rolleyes: 

7 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

I'm not necessarily criticizing making up markings to splatter everywhere to make it look like they know what they're doing, but I absolutely am going to call out printing numbers backwards, then claiming it was on purpose, and then doubling down on the idea that people might want backwards numbers (note: not mirrored, but with the digits in reverse order) and including a set of alternate decals to fix their screwup.. instead of just admitting it was wrong.  Heaven forbid they admit that something obviously wrong was actually wrong. :rolleyes: 

I'll add the recent DX Angel Birds release to the pile of evidence that points to Bandai consistently making poor design decisions with respect to markings on valks. That gigantic AB logo they created, which isn't canon, stamped all over the valk, is the main reason why I didn't buy one. I was very much looking forward to owning a DX AB, but I just couldn't bring myself to spend money on that atrocity. I personally find it to be a massive eyesore and it destroys what is otherwise a clean and attractive color scheme. Hasegawa and Yamato/Arcadia respected the original scheme in their releases, Bandai did not...for the sake of originality? :unknw: I'm sure if they were asked, they'd somehow double down on the design decision as being in the best interest of fans. It's not at the same level as the reversed modex numbers and associated gaslighting about how it was done intentionally to maintain visual symmetry, but I'm still disappointed.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, seti88 said:

cant even have look at the product webpage since its region locked....sigh...

https://tamashiiweb.com/item/14582/ this page seems to be accessible directly tho!

p-bandai 33k yen but 30k yen excluding tax...hmmm...does that mean its available for non-JP as well? 

Seems to be a club tamashii member thing...?

Edited by seti88

I wish the parts are sold separately. Yeah Bandai did sort of already hinted it was a bundled set when they first showed it off last year, but it is still a d**k move. 

It's gonna be the 31J Speakerpods all over again. 

41 minutes ago, MKT said:

I wish the parts are sold separately. Yeah Bandai did sort of already hinted it was a bundled set when they first showed it off last year, but it is still a d**k move. 

It's gonna be the 31J Speakerpods all over again. 

like it or not thats bandai's modus operandi...

It will be tempting for bandai to release mechanics editions for rest of the DYRL valks, come subsequent TN events....

At this point with the DX VF-1 series, I'm surprised that Bandai doesn't sell us the FAST packs piece by piece or the missiles, missile-by-missile as Tamashi exclusives, LOL😅

Peasants......Just count yourselves lucky that we actually get a pilot figure with the Valk, not as a paid web-exclusive, limited edition extra! Hahaha

I really shouldn't be giving them ideas.😂

Edited by Graham-Is-Back

lol.. this time it is clear parts for only Yen 33,000. Good value because a valk is thrown in free!

Meanwhile, I actually question the purpose of the clear covers anyway. If the intention is to show off the mechanicals underneath, might as well just have the covers off. Wait, the Yamcadia's can already do it! $$$ saved! (yet I sound kinda sour grapes :p)

Anyway, this is great for those who missed out on the Hikaru 1S earlier. :good: 

1 hour ago, MKT said:

lol.. this time it is clear parts for only Yen 33,000. Good value because a valk is thrown in free!

Meanwhile, I actually question the purpose of the clear covers anyway. If the intention is to show off the mechanicals underneath, might as well just have the covers off. Wait, the Yamcadia's can already do it! $$$ saved! (yet I sound kinda sour grapes :p)

Anyway, this is great for those who missed out on the Hikaru 1S earlier. :good: 

Remember, the super/strike parts have always had the details inside.

Bandai just decided that they were going to glue the whole mess shut.  At this point?  I'm fairly certain that they've developed a way to use nerd rage and tears to power their factories, and they keep releasing these sorts of things when they need a boost in productivity.

5 hours ago, seti88 said:

pics...thanks @recon...

LOL I still see the 100 on the tail....... thanks bandai...

Isn't it corrected?

Screenshot_20230808-0802192.png.4859695c86dc77508113580bb2d79a90.png

I just wonder if only include the clear pieces or also the solid color ones.

Edited by Froy

5 hours ago, seti88 said:

https://tamashiiweb.com/item/14582/ this page seems to be accessible directly tho!

p-bandai 33k yen but 30k yen excluding tax...hmmm...does that mean its available for non-JP as well? 

Seems to be a club tamashii member thing...?

p-bandai.jp only, most likely.

i read somewhere Bandai's been lately shutting out proxy-shops purchasing, tho...

1 hour ago, Chronocidal said:

Remember, the super/strike parts have always had the details inside.

Bandai just decided that they were going to glue the whole mess shut.  At this point?  I'm fairly certain that they've developed a way to use nerd rage and tears to power their factories, and they keep releasing these sorts of things when they need a boost in productivity.

Yeah I remember the discussions when someone pried open the leg covers on the normal strike pack. It also wasn't resolved then if there were molded missile details under their cover at front of boosters.

Now we know why Bandai did what they did then for the normal strike packs. The inner leg molded details were just a cost optimization thing, a single mold for both the normal and now the mechanics version. The engine detail in the booster is on a separate mold that can simply be removed from the normal pack as it doesn't affect the structural integrity of the whole booster, and put back for this mechanics version.

Bandai figured that just offering clear covers down the road was not enticing enough; they now want to package it together with the full mechanical details underneath to make it a better USP. 

I’m with @MKT as I just want the Mechanics parts only as I already have both Hikaru’s and Roy’s 1s, plus the SSP set. 

That saying, I wonder if the clear cover parts will yellow in due time just like the Yammie version.