Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

12 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

This is actually kind of a reversal for them.  Generally it seems like Bandai do not like giving you the option of using something that's not shown specifically on-screen.  For all of the VF-31s they've released, there are still no weapons packs released for them to actually use all those hardpoints they were produced with.  I've always wondered if it was up to licensing agreements, or some other legal nonsense, but there have been a few specific times where it felt like they just did not want to include things that made perfect sense, just because they weren't shown on screen together.

The primary one I'm thinking of is the VF-31 series, and all of the mental calisthenics they went through on which planes came with which accessories and which super packs had what parts.  They released Hayate's of course, and then Messer, and Mirage.. then they released the super parts.. Hayate's and Messer's did not get reaction missiles.  You only got a set for Hayate if you bought the custom version from the last few episodes, which was the only variant of Hayate's plane that was seen mounting the missiles (and sucks to be you if you missed getting the super packs that were released BEFORE the valk itself).  Mirage's missiles came in her super pack.  Messer, on the other hand, never got them, because he died before they used them.  Then Arad's were included in the plane, and Chuck never got any at all.. and neither of them even got super packs at all.

Good catch 👍🏼

I would imagine that the attack on South Ataria (start of Space War I) became an instant all hands on deck situation...if the ground crews equipped a VF-1D with a live fire gunpod, as seen on the first episode....I am sure the Angel Birds were part of the first attack as well....thus getting equipped with gunpods and probably missiles too!  Maybe @Seto Kaibahas some info regarding this from the available literature?

On 1/22/2023 at 2:35 PM, Shawn said:

I'm surprised they didn't include a 'smoke machine gimmick' for it...like where does the smoke originate from?

Presumably the countermeasure dispenser in the VF-1's "backpack", which is known to contain tank-style smoke canisters in addition to chaff and flares.

Macross Chronicle mentions a hypothetical "smoke generator" mounted in that same position for the purpose.

1 hour ago, jvmacross said:

I would imagine that the attack on South Ataria (start of Space War I) became an instant all hands on deck situation...if the ground crews equipped a VF-1D with a live fire gunpod, as seen on the first episode....I am sure the Angel Birds were part of the first attack as well....thus getting equipped with gunpods and probably missiles too!  Maybe @Seto Kaibahas some info regarding this from the available literature?

Macross Chronicle confirms that the Angel Birds VF-1s were, in all respects, fully operational VF-1As (pres. Block 4 type) and that their laser weapons were not rendered inert.  It does not, however, confirm or deny that the Angel Birds were pressed into combat service when the Zentradi attacked.

While not strictly official, Variable Fighter Master File does assert that the Angel Birds saw combat.  Like Macross Chronicle, it doesn't confirm or deny whether they fought during the initial attack.  It does, however, claim that the Angel Birds were among the UN Forces personnel who were transported into space along with South Ataria island and became part of the Macross's crew.  The unit is said to have been reorganized and integrated into the Prometheus's airwing as Angel Platoon, and served with distinction in several engagements on the ship's return flight to Earth.  Following the war, Angel Platoon was retired from combat duty and once again became the Angel Birds flight demonstration unit.

16 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

While not strictly official, Variable Fighter Master File does assert that the Angel Birds saw combat.  Like Macross Chronicle, it doesn't confirm or deny whether they fought during the initial attack.  It does, however, claim that the Angel Birds were among the UN Forces personnel who were transported into space along with South Ataria island and became part of the Macross's crew.  The unit is said to have been reorganized and integrated into the Prometheus's airwing as Angel Platoon, and served with distinction in several engagements on the ship's return flight to Earth.  Following the war, Angel Platoon was retired from combat duty and once again became the Angel Birds flight demonstration unit.

Thanks!...I knew if anyone had some info on this topic it would be you....lol

Official or not...works for me...it makes sense they would have gotten involved...

So many great Macross side-stories in those publications...

5 hours ago, davidwhangchoi said:

i hope the 5x come in safely

:good::good:

Here I was just thinking again, how much better it would be if the Angel Birds were released in the HMR line. I suspect it would be a much easier option to get multiples, if not all 5. I mean, who here will get all 5 x Chogokin Angel Birds? But we have the answer here :lol:

1 hour ago, MKT said:

Here I was just thinking again, how much better it would be if the Angel Birds were released in the HMR line. I suspect it would be a much easier option to get multiples, if not all 5. I mean, who here will get all 5 x Chogokin Angel Birds? But we have the answer here :lol:

A TWE HMR Angel Bird 5-pack with smoke effects?

I'm in.

4 hours ago, ValkAddict said:

😮 😮 😮

was an impulse buy before i moved. now i have to figure out storage. all my valks are east coast so this will be one of the few macross toys i'll have with me.  

3 hours ago, MKT said:

i really hope hobby genki comes through.

Well, reaching out to BiJ for a DHL quote paid off: instead of the ¥6800 additional for EMS shipping, DHL's was "only" ¥4510... over a $22.00 savings.  I should be getting their shipping notification fairly soon, and the Angel Bird before the end of the month. :yahoo:

11 hours ago, betocc said:

Price for Angel Bird was 22,900 yen, I wouldn't say it is expensive... But they are asking for 7,750 yen for EMS shipping.

That’s what I mean, they don’t control the item cost, but their packing and shipping charges can pop your eyes right out of your skull.