Hi-Metal R

joppewo

Despite my continued irritability with these little VF-1's, as cool as they are, I'm still all in on the various Destroids, Battle Armor and other Mecha and the 2SS though I imagine that may be as fiddly as the VF-1's. They look good once you sort that out.

Does anybody have a loose right head cannon? I had to nail polish the thing because it was impossible to fit the legs down for Gerwalk/Fighter without bumping that bloody little thing off.

My Cannon Fodder and Glaug arrived yesterday.

CF looks amazing. Appreciate the TV head & shoulder cover. However I still can't get over the need to swap out the canopy & gunpod handle.

The Glaug is huge! Looks fantastic but man are those click joints weak! WTF is the point of click joints if they can't even hold up the toy? Anybody know how to fix them?

Despite my continued irritability with these little VF-1's, as cool as they are, I'm still all in on the various Destroids, Battle Armor and other Mecha and the 2SS though I imagine that may be as fiddly as the VF-1's. They look good once you sort that out.

Does anybody have a loose right head cannon? I had to nail polish the thing because it was impossible to fit the legs down for Gerwalk/Fighter without bumping that bloody little thing off.

Yeah, both pop off on mine as well. Sigh

Yeah, the partsforming make the Valkryies much less desirable to transform than I would like. I keep all the parts in the box so it's a pain to dig the box out every time. That's why some storage solution inside the big mechs or in background/effects parts would be the best idea for this line.

One of the new things I've observed with my new Hikky and Max is that the shoulder-joints are really extra scary-tight on the Hikky than even on the more newer Max.

I really thought it would pull the same tragedy as one of Jenius' HMR Roy did.

In fact, I'm actually still a bit worried about it and am being quite extra careful with this particular Hikky-1J.

:huh:

Edited by treatment

Regarding the Max and Millia releases, I've been rewatching the episodes of the original SDFM show and wow are we taking liberties with the colour scheme, or what! And lest this come across as HMR bashing, I'm not just talking this release, but every single toy/model kit ever made, seems to get it completely wrong! Maybe I've missed it, but I can't find anywhere in the show where either super pack has a lick of red or blue on it. Anywhere.

Does anyone know where this trend started and why? Was it on the original chunky releases too?

It began in 2002, when Yamato was preparing to release their v1 1/60 Max & Milia Super VF-1J's. Like us, Yamato noticed that the colors of Max & Milia's FAST Packs varied from episode to episode. Even the official artbooks contained inconsistent colors. Wanting their toys to be as accurate as possible, Yamato asked Kawamori himself what colors they should use. Kawamori answered their inquiry, and in 2003, Macross fandom finally found out what colors Max & Milia's FAST Packs should be when their respective toys were released. That color scheme was used in Yamato's subsequent 1/48 and v2 1/60 releases.

We thought the issue was settled, until Bandai recently released their new 1/72 Max & Milia model kits, sporting new color schemes. I thought that those might've been one-off, commemorative color schemes, similar to Yamato's v2 1/60 Low Visibility VF-1S Roy Focker. But this new color scheme's continued use in the High Metal R line suggests that it's the new standard. Since these toys have to be approved by Big West and Studio Nue (read: Kawamori), it appears that Kawamori has changed his mind on Max & Milia's FAST Packs. At the very least, if these new colors are entirely Bandai's doing, then he's approved their use.

It'll be interesting to see what happens if Arcadia reissues Yamato's v2 1/60 Max & Milia Super VF-1J's.

If I used zip locks for all my extra accesories, all that would change is me digging through cases of ziplock bags instead of boxes, lol.

but it's not all your extra accessories, they will be mainly hold only the parts that you are talking about, (the landing gears, the heat shield, and the gun handle, you might even be able to just put those under the tamashii display base) Organizing where you place those ziplock bags along with correct labeling will make looking for them very easy. example (put all ziplock bags in a box, separate them by where you display the actual figure, 10 figure on shelf 1, 5 on shelf 2, etc ) if you need to look for it just look for the the shelf section .

Now if you want all your accessories next to your figure you can do it the same way too.

I hardly every use the landing gears, I use a display base. Transforms between fighter and gerwalk.

Will only need heat shield if I every change to battleroid, it's no difference to me than changing a closed fist to open palm or just putting missiles on or off.

Edited by F360

One of the new things I've observed with my new Hikky and Max is that the shoulder-joints are really extra scary-tight on the Hikky than even on the more newer Max.

I really thought it would pull the same tragedy as one of Jenius' HMR Roy did.

In fact, I'm actually still a bit worried about it and am being quite extra careful with this particular Hikky-1J.

:huh:

My VF-1S Roy's shoulders are scary tight. The VF-1A CF feels perfect.

Thanks for the tips...sounds ok but I feel safer with parts in the box or on the figure of they designed a smart way to store them. Otherwise, too high a chance to misplace, lose, break or otherwise ruin my day, lol. Anything else and I'm also collecting bags and/or accessory boxes on top of everything else I already collect.

If I used zip locks for all my extra accesories, all that would change is me digging through cases of ziplock bags instead of boxes, lol.

Thanks for the tips...sounds ok but I feel safer with parts in the box or on the figure of they designed a smart way to store them. Otherwise, too high a chance to misplace, lose, break or otherwise ruin my day, lol. Anything else and I'm also collecting bags and/or accessory boxes on top of everything else I already collect.

Well, think of this way. If you're planning on investing with your toys in the future, then it wouldn't hurt to keep the boxes from getting more wear and tear for opening and closing it just by getting the right accessory you need at specific playtime moment. You know, just in case the buyer wants the item with pristine looking boxes. Just saying. ^_^

This is what I do.

but it's not all your extra accessories, they will be mainly hold only the parts that you are talking about, (the landing gears, the heat shield, and the gun handle, you might even be able to just put those under the tamashii display base) Organizing where you place those ziplock bags along with correct labeling will make looking for them very easy. example (put all ziplock bags in a box, separate them by where you display the actual figure, 10 figure on shelf 1, 5 on shelf 2, etc ) if you need to look for it just look for the the shelf section .

Now if you want all your accessories next to your figure you can do it the same way too.

I hardly every use the landing gears, I use a display base. Transforms between fighter and gerwalk.

Will only need heat shield if I every change to battleroid, it's no difference to me than changing a closed fist to open palm or just putting missiles on or off.

See. Even Mommar and F360 agrees. It's the practical thing to do. ^_^

I did not know this. Thanks for taking the time to explain some of the history. Makes a lot more sense now.

It began in 2002, when Yamato was preparing to release their v1 1/60 Max & Milia Super VF-1J's. Like us, Yamato noticed that the colors of Max & Milia's FAST Packs varied from episode to episode. Even the official artbooks contained inconsistent colors. Wanting their toys to be as accurate as possible, Yamato asked Kawamori himself what colors they should use. Kawamori answered their inquiry, and in 2003, Macross fandom finally found out what colors Max & Milia's FAST Packs should be when their respective toys were released. That color scheme was used in Yamato's subsequent 1/48 and v2 1/60 releases.

We thought the issue was settled, until Bandai recently released their new 1/72 Max & Milia model kits, sporting new color schemes. I thought that those might've been one-off, commemorative color schemes, similar to Yamato's v2 1/60 Low Visibility VF-1S Roy Focker. But this new color scheme's continued use in the High Metal R line suggests that it's the new standard. Since these toys have to be approved by Big West and Studio Nue (read: Kawamori), it appears that Kawamori has changed his mind on Max & Milia's FAST Packs. At the very least, if these new colors are entirely Bandai's doing, then he's approved their use.

It'll be interesting to see what happens if Arcadia reissues Yamato's v2 1/60 Max & Milia Super VF-1J's.

I very much doubt that, if they could reissue the M&M VF-1J, they'd go with the Bandai scheme. There's room for multiple interpretations and it's quite possible that Bandai went to BW and said "We want to differentiate our product so this is the scheme we'd like to use, are you okay with it?" BW would have then looked at the checks Bandai cut and said "Yeah, you do whatever you want."

I've noticed the shoulder tightness, and it is vaguely concerning. I try to lightly roll the shoulder joint to get it a bit loosened up, then move it into place. That and in general worked it around a little to get a feel for it when my VF-1A and VF-1J arrived. Keeping an eye on things while moving it hasn't shown any signs of stressing, but I definitely keep that one guy's VF-1S in mind with that part. Shame, since otherwise these are amazing and I haven't had a single concern over their sturdiness.

I transformed my Hikaru VF-1J today and I noticed that the wrist part was assembled backwards. You can see it on the left side where the gap in the wrist is more prominent and it sticks up more.

OuPSli6.jpg?1

Is there an easy and non-damaging way to split the forearm apart so I can reassemble it correctly? It feels like it was glued together.

Edited by ArchieNov

My Hikaru right antenna also pops off is loose. The left intake hip is scratched out of the box. Tight shoulders too tight. Not major issues so won't bother refunding it. Annoyed that Hikaru has qc issues. This is third Hikaru so you'd think they'd get it worked out by now.

...it's quite possible that Bandai went to BW and said "We want to differentiate our product so this is the scheme we'd like to use, are you okay with it?" BW would have then looked at the checks Bandai cut and said "Yeah, you do whatever you want."

But if Bandai was simply trying to differentiate their products from the competition, why limit their alterations to just Max & Milia? Why not Roy Focker's VF-1S, the GBP Armor, or the Cannon Fodder (which could really use some panache)?

But if Bandai was simply trying to differentiate their products from the competition, why limit their alterations to just Max & Milia? Why not Roy Focker's VF-1S, the GBP Armor, or the Cannon Fodder (which could really use some panache)?

The answer to that is the beginning of the previous anecdote. M&M's super schemes have always been questionable... a fertile land for interpretations.

Doubtful. There's a scene where Mac and Milia are flying along firing missiles and the lighting is done such that the front of the fast packs looks white and the rear half of the leg packs ate lit up by the thrusters and looks white too. I'm betting they based their scheme off of that five seconds of footage.