I have my own reasons for being disappointed with Loki, but I think the guy’s fishing too much for things that aren’t there.  Too surface level/superficial with his commentary.

I hate that the finale dumbed itself down to the trope of “hero battling a ‘bad guy’ version of himself.”

And I hate that feeling that the show didn’t close properly and felt more like set-up for the next batch of MCU films and for next season of Loki. <_<

But before that, it was a bit of a fun “Who’s lying to who?” story.

5 hours ago, Mog said:

I have my own reasons for being disappointed with Loki, but I think the guy’s fishing too much for things that aren’t there.  Too surface level/superficial with his commentary.

I tend to agree.  I feel pretty strongly that particular set of views has been injected into our pop culture, however I don't think overstating the case helps.  Just sounds whiny.

• 3 weeks later...

Monsters of Man: The acting is tolerable, the story is actually quite good.  C.I.A. and Acme Tech Company send in advanced A.I. robots for a "field test"; naturally what was supposed to be a safe zone for testing these things, turns into a potential political nightmare when intel isn't as up to speed as it perhaps should be.  One of the robots has a malfunction and thanks to some kids, has it's "safety-limiter" removed by some local kids, this has Ultron levels of "crap" written all over it.  The remaining bots, take to their mission like good little soldiers and sweep the area of any witnesses, except for a group of American medical students, a disgruntled ex-Seal and a few villagers.  As soon as the military realizes that the first robot is not down but now actually free, they set the others to hunt it down as well.  Due to the ever expanding crap-storm that is unfolding, both government and Acme Tech company start to limit their exposure to what is quickly becoming a SNAFU.  It does have both Chappie and iRobot aspects to it well.  I found this to be far more entertaining and thought provoking than Netflix's other recent release Sweet Girl with J. Momoa and the pre-teen/now teen actress from the last Bayformers film with Walburg; that has a twist but one that doesn't hold up after 2 minutes of thinking it through.  

The Last Czar's, and Rise of the Ottoman Empire are actually really good Docu-Drama's; I thought.  The Last Czar's is worth the watch for the performances of the actors portraying Nicholas and Rasputin, who they go into far more detail than I was aware was known.  They also tackle the issue of Anna/Anastatia who turned up in Berlin in 1923.  Neither of these are family friendly; mainly violence and language in Ottoman but nudity as well in Last Czar's.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/20/2021 at 9:50 AM, sqidd said:

Vikings is really good until...

Hide contents

Ragnar dies. Not really a spoiler. It's real history.

It's kinda good after that.

Just finished the series last night and finally opened your spoiler, lol. Yeah, history itself can be a spoiler.

Still, after his death the series was still good. That being said, Travis Fimmel is an amazingly good actor. I'd love to see him in a STAR WARS film hopefully.

23 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

Just finished the series last night and finally opened your spoiler, lol. Yeah, history itself can be a spoiler.

Still, after his death the series was still good. That being said, Travis Fimmel is an amazingly good actor. I'd love to see him in a STAR WARS film hopefully.

Yeah, still good (especially when compared to most of the dreck out there). For some reason I found Ivar The Boneless annoying/acted badly. Or maybe directed badly. I've read the history and where Ragnar was a believable representation of the real man, Ivar didn't match up for me. In the show he was more teenage angst/petulant/driven by his emotions. In real life he was a very smart, very calculating, very terrifying and accomplished individual. You'd have to be to lead a Viking horde and not be able to walk. I'm nit picking of course.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2021 at 3:58 PM, TangledThorns said:

Watching THE LAST KINGDOM on Netflix. It's a fictional medieval era series similar to VIKINGS. I like it though I still do miss Travis Fimmel in VIKINGS.

I tried to get into that one. It didn't take. I may have to give it another shot.

Just finished The Stand. I had been putting it off because of the so so reviews, etc. It wasn't actually bad. Not particularly stand out good either. I give is a C+.

Just because this stuff irks me I'm bringing this up. The show took what they thought was a subtle shot at Trump (for the record I'm no Trump fan). I find that kind of thing from Hollywood cheap and gross. I'm here to be entertained. Not to listen to your political ravings. If you watch it see if you pick it up. It was fairly subtle.

Edited by sqidd

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, TangledThorns said:

Great series, way better than we expected. Robin Lord Taylor as Penguin is the best Penguin yet! ENJOY!!

That's funny, I love Penguin! What a fantastic character!

Which is all the more impressive because there are a LOT of really strong characters in the show. Alfred rocks (who wants a movie or TV series about his SAS days?). Gordon's p[artner (I can't remember his name) is great too. He says some hilarious stuff. "The only thing I'm scared of is decaf coffee".:rofl: "Don't make me lose one of good shoes" (referring to putting it in someone's butt.:lol:

And no shortage of hotties.:wub:

On 9/17/2021 at 7:04 PM, Black Valkyrie said:

One of my top movies of the 90s, too bad they ruin it;

I knew nothing of The Crow: City of Angels.  I'd assumed Eric Draven had been recast -- hell, it sure looked like the same character! -- and having enjoyed the first film several times during its original theatrical run, I had no intention of seeing a needless sequel.  It would appear the studio not only ruined the film, but the marketing as well. <_<

Very interesting video.  Thanks for sharing. :good:

So, new CW Babylon 5 reboot in the works. On one hand, J.Michael Stracynski is still producing & writing. On the other hand, it'll be on a CW budget with an entitely new cast (The OG cast is obviously too old & in far too many cases too dead).

I am very cautiously optimistic.

1 hour ago, Mog said:

Be curious to see how the story would pan out with Sinclair as the main character throughout.

Give JMS credit:  he somehow pulled off the original story despite a few major cast changes.

He had off ramps for all the characters including the main ones.  In a way having Sinclair out (and knowing he would be out well before the end of the first season) allowed him to set things up for later seasons.  Ivanava's replacement was the one character that didn't quite work out, a single season was not enough to give the new actor a chance and the need to finish off the main plot in season 4 left season 5 drifting along for a number of episodes.  Felt like filler - which the show had really managed to avoid till then, even though some of the first season felt like filler there was a lot that was hooks for later.

As for the show, we will see how much of a commitment they made, I doubt it was for more than a single season.