Finished silent sea. There are some interesting concepts in this mostly frustrating show, but I think it’s mostly skippable. In this day and age to have a story about a killer virus and no one thinks to just keep their space suit on or at least wear gloves while handling bodies 

So, I watched The Expanses series finale again.  Still holds up after a second viewing.

The battles are still solid and gripping.  The character moments still work.  And they appropriately send off each character and leave you with hope.

I know there’s still an arc to do, but we have the books for that.  Plus, when someone wants to do the inevitable TV “reboot” in 10 to 20 years, the actors will be the “correct” age to do that arc.

Although the show could be slow paced at times, it’s still up there with the best sci-fi shows of all time.  The world building and tech concepts were fresh and different.

Definitely a must view.

Yeah I really enjoyed The Expanse beginning to end, just a fantastic sci-fi series through and through, I push it on everyone I can, it was an incredible ride. I liked the finale, bit of a bummer though, it's clear without knowledge of the books that there is more story, there was even a throwaway line about the missing proto-molecule, and that whole side-story about the "dog" creatures was a somewhat cruel taste of what we won't get to follow up on. 

I also added a one week trial of Showtime to my Hulu so I could catch Dexter's final season, not bad, a better finale then the first time, but still not perfect. That's not even what I loved and binged while I had Showtime, I got through Dexter's last season in about five days, took my time, I binged another Showtime original, which I highly, highly, highly recommend, Yellowjackets.

Hot damn is that show fantastic, I've read some of the reviews and posts about, figured since I had Showtime I might as well check it out, very glad I did, I watched the whole season in two days! Yellowjackets may be my favorite new series of 2021, it was really, really good, highly recommended, if you have Hulu you can add a one week Showtime trial for free, do it, check out Yellowjackets. It's already been renewed for another season, not surprising, it's really good, it's Lord of the Flies but with a girl's highschool soccer team in the 90s, with a few supernatural elements thrown in here and there. It's got some great performances, it's just a bit slow at times, but pretty killer nonetheless. You get some flash forward bits in the flashbacks that show just how insane things got with the survivors, 19 months in the Canadian wilderness will lead anyone to do some crazy crap, it gets pretty intense. 

And the Roci flies off into the void... Safe flying, Roci!

Good last season, as solid as all the rest, with all the characters staying true to form throughout. My one wish is that they did not keep teasing about events on that planet with the 'dogs.' Since we may never see anything else coming from it, it ended up being a waste of time better spent elsewhere.  Still, enjoyed it!

1 hour ago, Thom said:

And the Roci flies off into the void... Safe flying, Roci!

Good last season, as solid as all the rest, with all the characters staying true to form throughout. My one wish is that they did not keep teasing about events on that planet with the 'dogs.' Since we may never see anything else coming from it, it ended up being a waste of time better spent elsewhere.  Still, enjoyed it!

I was wondering to myself yesterday if they put the extra stuff in to boost book sales. If so, pretty good marketing idea.

Regarding the final Expanse episode:

Spoiler

Regarding the Expanse's last episode, everything with the raid on the rail guns was good but the Pella's fate was anticlimactic. Marco yelling "Veer off!" made no sense... he had no reason to expect anything. The battle of the fleets was built up to be spectacular but only sort of paid off. Still a great show and a good season but it felt like the tension was escaping when it should be ramping up with the Pella.

22 hours ago, jenius said:

Hide contents

Regarding the Expanse's last episode, everything with the raid on the rail guns was good but the Pella's fate was anticlimactic. Marco yelling "Veer off!" made no sense... he had no reason to expect anything. The battle of the fleets was built up to be spectacular but only sort of paid off. Still a great show and a good season but it felt like the tension was escaping when it should be ramping up with the Pella.

That's literally how it goes in the book, to be fair.

23 hours ago, jenius said:

Hide contents

I feel the same way...

Spoiler

...as the only fleet action we see at the end is between Drummer and the Pella. There's nothing from the combined UN/MCRN fleet against the Free Navy. The time spent on Laconia could have been better spent building up the final moments, even adding some combat scenes if they were not in the book.

As for Marco, he yells 'Veer off!' because he's seeing the distortions in the ring, and realizes that it's being intentionally overloaded. Still, in either book form or TV, it is a bit anti-climactic. I would have him be able veer away, only to face off against the Zenobia one-on-one.

For story purposes,

Spoiler

only the Roci could get that “kill.”  

Drummer and the Belters had only damaged the Pella.  If a UNN ship had taken out Marco, they would be able to take credit and dictate terms of the peace.

Only the Roci with its mixed crew. . . and a massive assist from the Ring gate killing aliens could be the ones to take out Marco and the Pella.

Honestly, I don't have any problem with the Pella's fate or the mechanics of it, I liked it in the book, I just felt the way the TV show presented it was not terribly exciting. I thought they'd do a better job narrowly getting the mass to the right point to pull the trick off. As alluded to above, they also line up three major battles and an end around... then showed us a sliver of one battle and the end around. Seems like there could have been more duking it out on screen. 

10 hours ago, Mog said:

For story purposes,

Hide contents

only the Roci could get that “kill.”  

Drummer and the Belters had only damaged the Pella.  If a UNN ship had taken out Marco, they would be able to take credit and dictate terms of the peace.

Only the Roci with its mixed crew. . . and a massive assist from the Ring gate killing aliens could be the ones to take out Marco and the Pella.

Yes, optics is a big thing. But, considering what Marco had done to Earth...

Spoiler

...I still think an Earth ship taking him out would have been fitting. And Avasarala and the Martian PM were already starting to dictate terms of the peace anyway. She chose a side-move with the Transport Union, that Holden nicely nipped in the bud.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2022 at 1:24 PM, jvmacross said:

Not bad....really slow buildup though...

I just finished watching this one last night, my opinions are you will either like or dislike this show. Really slow build up, not until the end of episode 6 do things start coming together. Even with a season 2 in the works I most likely won't watch it. 

The show its self has an intriguing story, acting is pretty good but also has many issues that needed fixed before shooting began... Especially with the dialogue, if you were to play a drinking game and take a shot every time someone says the word F-ck or F--king, you might succumb to alcohol poisoning, I have no issues with swear words but it is excessive in this show and at least for me it became annoying after a while, I'm not a fan of lazy writing. 

Now I can start with OZARK tonight. 

Edited by 505thAirborne

1 hour ago, 505thAirborne said:

I just finished watching this one last night, my opinions are you will either like or dislike this show. Really slow build up, not until the end of episode 6 do things start coming together. Even with a season 2 in the works I most like won't watch it. 

The show its self has an intriguing story, acting is pretty good but also has many issues that needed fixed before shooting began... Especially with the dialogue, if you were to play a drinking game and take a shot every time someone says the F-ck or F--king, you might succumb to alcohol poisoning, I have no issues with swear words but it is excessive in this show and at least for me it became annoying after a while, I'm not a fan of lazy writing. 

I started this. It's not doing a whole lot for me.

Ozark is pretty good. I don't know if it's me but the pacing seemed different than previous seasons. I was also surprised to find out that season 4 is broken into two parts and we don't get the second half until later in the year.

I think that was a problem for a lot of non Witcher fans. I had no idea what was going on when I first started it, glad that I stuck in there.

just finished Midnight Mass. it’s very slow and very preachy, with hints that things are going wrong rather than just jumping into the crazy, but it’s all worth it by the end. It’s extremely suspenseful

3 hours ago, 505thAirborne said:

I just finished watching this one last night, my opinions are you will either like or dislike this show. Really slow build up, not until the end of episode 6 do things start coming together. Even with a season 2 in the works I most like won't watch it. 

The show its self has an intriguing story, acting is pretty good but also has many issues that needed fixed before shooting began... Especially with the dialogue, if you were to play a drinking game and take a shot every time someone says the F-ck or F--king, you might succumb to alcohol poisoning, I have no issues with swear words but it is excessive in this show and at least for me it became annoying after a while, I'm not a fan of lazy writing. 

Kind of reminds me of a Stranger Things clone....without the 80's vibe and kids.....Archive 81 was one of those shows that was creepy enough to keep me watching...hoping that something....would eventually happen.....by a certain point, I was too invested to stop.......most shows bore me after 1 or 2 episodes and I never get into them.....now that I think of it....it also reminded me of that other HBO show....The Outsider......very slow moving....but weird enough to get you hooked.....but at least that one threw in a scene at the local TT Bar every other episode! LMAO!  Plus it had Ben Mendelsohn going for it....

11 hours ago, Big s said:

just finished Midnight Mass. it’s very slow and very preachy, with hints that things are going wrong rather than just jumping into the crazy, but it’s all worth it by the end. It’s extremely suspenseful

If you're a fan of 80s Stephen King, you can't miss Midnight Mass.

23 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

Just finished the first half of the final season of OZARK. Great series throughout, definitely one of Netflix's top series IMHO.

Did you feel like the pacing/feel were different than previous seasons? I was detecting something, but I'm not sure what it was.

4 hours ago, sqidd said:

Did you feel like the pacing/feel were different than previous seasons? I was detecting something, but I'm not sure what it was.

Yeah, kinda. I think it had to do with the long break between season as all the actors look older. Plus filming during COVID may have something to do with.

That being said I see The Princess Bride herself directed a couple of the episodes too.

https://news.yahoo.com/ozark-viewers-only-just-realising-212529249.html

Call me nuts but I'm a Kristen Bell fan, so I decided to watch this one. Despite that it's supposed to be satire, if you enjoy having your expectations subverted on a level and the reaction of "wow, someone actually wrote this and it was given the green light... yikes" then this is the show for you. There are many pieces to the plot that make just about zero sense. 

The Netflix series DEAD TO ME is how you do it right.

Also, OZARK Season 4 Part 1... Holy Sh*t, what an awesome series & Julia Garner deserves an award for her acting, it sent a shiver down my spine in that final scene. 

I saw a couple previews for new seasons of disenchantment and space force. I could have sworn space force was cancelled, I guess I was wrong. The first season was kinda hit and miss with a lot of jokes and I really don’t know too many people that watched it.

4 hours ago, Big s said:

I saw a couple previews for new seasons of disenchantment and space force. I could have sworn space force was cancelled, I guess I was wrong. The first season was kinda hit and miss with a lot of jokes and I really don’t know too many people that watched it.

Space Force was terrible and I thought I heard it was cancelled too. I guess someone convinced Netflix to rethink that idea. Instant pass for me. 

Disenchantment is ok but not one of my favorites, it's another show where the jokes miss more than they land. 

1 hour ago, sqidd said:

Watching Reacher. His acting is pretty wooden. Even for Jack Reacher. He would have made a great Terminator. 

It's entertaining though.

Ok, his acting warmed up in the second episode.

The show gives me Roadhouse vibes. I mean that in a good way.:good:

4 hours ago, Dynaman said:

Latest on that new B5 show with the CW being sold.  JMS is still optimistic but if I had to bet it is done.

https://cultbox.co.uk/news/babylon-5-reboot-delayed-due-to-the-sale-of-the-cw

Kind of a bummer but an extra year to hopefully double check the script & plot and not a pull a CBS Star Trek on us. 

Get this one right JMS. B))