9 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Half-way through season 1 of BARRY on HBO MAX and we get it, it's really good!

I recently finished the second season and it gets even better. I like watching something a bit more lighthearted afterwards though, since it can be a bit heavy sometimes 

2 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

This trailer came out of nowhere and looks really good!! I'd have to say HBO Max is Netflix's greatest threat IMHO.

But he died in Godzilla. How is this possible?:D

(referencing Bill Burr bit from paper Tiger)

I just couldn’t get into Russian Dolls myself. I didn’t like the characters. Same problem I had with Breaking Bad. Happy for you guys that liked it though.

Chris

1 hour ago, Dobber said:

I just couldn’t get into Russian Dolls myself. I didn’t like the characters. Same problem I had with Breaking Bad. Happy for you guys that liked it though.

Chris

I get where you're coming from. There are a LOT of TV/movies where everyone on/in them is unlikable. I think the anti hero thing has gone too far in a way. And that is coming from someone who really likes the anti hero. The anti hero needs a foil though.

It also doesn't help that so many actors are absolutely rotten people in real life and all over the news, social media, etc. reminding you and it. How am I suppose to watch something with them in it when I can't stop thinking about what a rotten person they are? If people can do it, all power to them. I'm not one of those people though.

Edited by sqidd

10 hours ago, Big s said:

I can deal with an unlikakle character as long as they’re interesting, easier than a boring character that’s just boring like the majority of the rogue one cast.

I don't have an issue with an unlikable character. I think it would be lacking if there were not a whole range of character traits. It's when every character is unlikable where I have a problem. There needs to be a balance.

And I'm not conflating "likeable" with good guy or unlikable as "bad guy". I think it's possible to dislike the good guy and like the bad guy for example. A perfect example of this would be The Expense. Holden is a good person who is always trying (and usually succeeding) in doing the right thing. Amos on paper is a "bad person". He's 100% psychopath. But, I find Holden annoying and Amos fascinating. The key here is that the writers gave you both to play off each other.

Agree. For ME the characters on Russian Doll I just found to be the kinds of people I could not identify with at all. I don’t need perfect people by any standard just people I could some what relate to or want to know more about. These I would want nothing to do with. At least after the first episode or 2 when I walked away.

Chris

17 hours ago, Dobber said:

Agree. For ME the characters on Russian Doll I just found to be the kinds of people I could not identify with at all. I don’t need perfect people by any standard just people I could some what relate to or want to know more about. These I would want nothing to do with. At least after the first episode or 2 when I walked away.

Chris

Exactly.

I'll be watching Russian Doll S2, for sure. As others have noted above, it also took a few episodes for the show to grab my full attention but I'm also not a village native (I'm an upstate native) so a lot of the inner-city nuance was lost on me in the very beginning. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to where the show takes its outside-the-lines speculative slant on a modern time-travel story.

The Legend of Vox Machina was a show that surprised me too. Very fun. I wasn't aware of the crowdfund for it, so I didn't realize it was based on an actual game led by VO artist/actor Matt Mercer and a handful of his friends and industry peers. I'm used to the humble live action independent movies like Journey Quest and The Gamers. 

I would recommend all of them, though. ^_^ And if table-top role playing is your thing, you can search for Critical Roll to go on a deeper dive and see the games as they were played live. Warning: falling into the video archives is a considerable time sink. 

Edited by technoblue

4 hours ago, technoblue said:

I'll be watching Russian Doll S2, for sure. As others have noted above, it also took a few episodes for the show to grab my full attention but I'm also not a village native (I'm an upstate native) so a lot of the inner-city nuance was lost on me in the very beginning. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to where the show takes its outside-the-lines speculative slant on a modern time-travel story.

The Legend of Vox Machina was a show that surprised me too. Very fun. I wasn't aware of the crowdfund for it, so I didn't realize it was based on an actual game led by VO artist/actor Matt Mercer and a handful of his friends and industry peers. I'm used to the humble live action independent movies like Journey Quest and The Gamers. 

I would recommend all of them, though. ^_^ And if table-top role playing is your thing, you can search for Critical Roll to go on a deeper dive and see the games as they were played live. Warning: falling into the video archives is a considerable time sink. 

I almost gave up on Vox Machina, but after the third episode it actually started getting more interesting although the comedy was still more cringy than funny. Overall I started really liking it 

Finished up the latest season of Billions. This one was a HUGE departure from previous seasons. I won't explain why because of spoilers. Unfortunately it lost some of it's core feel. I'm not going to say it was bad. But it's not the old Billions.

I'll watch the next season because the show is still ok (it's been greenlit already).

Edited by sqidd

I had mentioned that I liked the show From. Someone said it sounded like Wayward Pines. I said something along the lines of 
I couldn't get into Wayward Pines: and "From has real monsters" or something.

Well, I watched season 1 of WP. Originally I hadn't gotten far enough to see what was outside the fence. Ok, yeah. monsters. The two shows really couldn't be any more dissimilar though. WP is more Sci Fi. From is supernatural. And way, way better done IMO.

WP was pretty weak. Your standard big network "produced by committee" for the lowest common denominator drivel. Not so bad that I didn't tough it out. But pretty bad. Good idea. Terrible execution. The total lack of explanation for the logistics was enough to drive me crazy and that was just the tip of the iceberg. The book series could be quite a bit better.

12 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

Watching Reacher on Prime. We like it, it's similar in a production theme as Bosch which we like. Pretty sure my wife likes the eye candy tho, lol.

Loved Reacher.

All you have to do is take a bunch of roids, work out hard and eat about 10,000cal/day and you can be the eye candy for your wife.:D

36 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

Hmmm, PRIME seems to be amping it up some. This looks weird and interesting.

I'm in!

Also, her eyes!:wub: I was mesmerized by her when she was in 28 Weeks Later.

Imogen-Poots-Photography-by-Indira-Cesar

15 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Hmmm, PRIME seems to be amping it up some. This looks weird and interesting.

Booooooooooo

Amazon did that thing where they release two episodes then you have to wait a week for each one after.

1 hour ago, sqidd said:

Wait what? They're coming back? Wooohoooo!!!

One of my faves!

That’s a pretty good one. My all time favorite was the Bobby and the devil guitar battle episode. 

I also really enjoyed the one with the modern fur trappers going through the high rise in a canoe