On 3/6/2020 at 7:16 PM, Tking22 said:

On that note, season 2 of Kingdom releases next week, an absolutely brilliant, well made and acted, Korean zombie series, also on Netflix of course :). Highly recommended, really great stuff, far superior to Walking Dead IMO, but that's not exactly a hard task. It takes place in feudal Korea, apparently based on a Korean comic called Land of the Gods, once again, highly recommended even for those with zombie fatigue. 

I guess, by the lack of the discussion, that no one else watched it?

Well, I'm watching it now.  I gotta say, I don't really like zombie stuff.  I feel like it's been pretty played out, mostly because there's only so much you can do with zombies as a plot.  What makes Kingdom interesting, though, is that zombies are a part of plot, but not the plot.  Rather, it's a period political piece.  Like, tell me if this sounds interesting-

It's the early 1600's, Korea.  The country is suffering after two consecutive defeats fighting the Japanese, and the peasants are starving.  There's this ambitious, wealthy clan (the Hanyeon Cho) that's been infiltrating the government, and their masterstroke was getting the king to marry the daughter of the clan's head.  She's pregnant, and the crown price knows that once that baby is born the Hanyeon Cho are going to get rid of him and his father, so he secretly begins plotting with the scholar-class to usurp his father and take the throne before then.  But the a wrench is thrown into the machinations of both the Hanyeon Cho and the prince when the king suddenly becomes ill.  The queen restricts access to the king's palace, and no one else has seen him for days.  The prince, believing his father is dead, thinks it's his chance.  But the queen and the Hanyeon Cho, knowing that the king's death would end their claim to the throne, insist the king is alive but can't see anyone as he's very weak.  What's more, they found evidence of the prince's plots, and brand him a traitor.  The prince and his bodyguard manage to escape the capital and set off for a small village, the home of the physician that treated the king, as they believe he's the key to exposing the king's true condition.

Sounds pretty good, right?

Ok, plot twist.  The king is a zombie.  What's more, the king bit the physician's assistant, who dies during the return trip to his little village...

So anyway, yeah, I'm only about three episodes in.  But I'm digging it so far.

45 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

I guess, by the lack of the discussion, that no one else watched it?

Seems not which is a bummer, the series is fantastic, and agreed, it's part political period piece and part zombie outbreak series, which is a cool combo.

The political part is really intriguing to me, Korea has been putting out more and more films and series like this, Parasite was a brilliant film and that was full of commentary, this series is no different. The political parts are plenty interesting themselves, the way the people in charge fail time and time again, after so many warnings, so many chances to do right, it's great. Without spoiling things the zombie stuff snowballs really well, it just keeps building, and the zombies themselves, depending how far in you are, have some fairly interesting rules and qualities to them that set them apart from most other zombies in most other series.

It's a good series, lots of intrigue, action, solid performances, the production values are pretty top notch too, it's solid overall, and as I first said, a good zombie series for those that don't really like zombie stuff, or are suffering from zombie fatigue. 

12 hours ago, Tking22 said:

Seems not which is a bummer, the series is fantastic, and agreed, it's part political period piece and part zombie outbreak series, which is a cool combo.

The political part is really intriguing to me, Korea has been putting out more and more films and series like this, Parasite was a brilliant film and that was full of commentary, this series is no different. The political parts are plenty interesting themselves, the way the people in charge fail time and time again, after so many warnings, so many chances to do right, it's great. Without spoiling things the zombie stuff snowballs really well, it just keeps building, and the zombies themselves, depending how far in you are, have some fairly interesting rules and qualities to them that set them apart from most other zombies in most other series.

It's a good series, lots of intrigue, action, solid performances, the production values are pretty top notch too, it's solid overall, and as I first said, a good zombie series for those that don't really like zombie stuff, or are suffering from zombie fatigue. 

Is it dubbed?

I've got this on my watch list but haven't started it yet? Looks like it could be interesting. And I need something to watch that the wife doesn't want to. She likes too much stuff I like so I have to not watch a lot of stuff when she's not around. I could have worse problems obviously. :wub:

I could've sworn we discussed it somewhere on here when the first season came out. I guess not? :unknw:

I enjoyed it, though it does fall victim at times to some of the same overplayed tropes of Korean drama as, well, other Korean dramas do. Namely, there's an obvious Good Guy who's selfless, brave, smart, humble, and a great tactician, who unfortunately must navigate a veritable spider's web of greedy, vain, cowardly, incompetent, self-serving bureaucrats. I didn't particularly like the revelation at the end of the first season(?), either, but it's honestly a small inconsistency in the grand scheme of things.

I don't think I've finished... or even begun?... the second season, but apparently there's a movie coming out soon? Seems like now might be a great time to finish it up. That and the sequel show to Haunting of Hill House, whatever its name is...

11 hours ago, Dynaman said:

I have a new record.  Just tried to watch "Starship Troopers: Traitor of Mars" on Netflix and lasted through less then a minute.  Dialog like that and you KNOW its garbage all the way through.

LOL, I finished through it. You just have to tune out the derp dialogue and just enjoy the pew pew pew!

6 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

LOL, I finished through it. You just have to tune out the derp dialogue and just enjoy the pew pew pew!

I'm old and Pew Pew Pew by itself just doesn't cut it anymore.  Maybe if the LT character wasn't such an incredibly annoying stereotype (along with every other military stereotype).

19 hours ago, Dynaman said:

I have a new record.  Just tried to watch "Starship Troopers: Traitor of Mars" on Netflix and lasted through less then a minute.  Dialog like that and you KNOW its garbage all the way through.

Oh that finally released. Time for the popcorn.

11 hours ago, Dynaman said:

I'd suggest Tylenol (or Bourbon) instead.

Much like @TangledThornsI'm in it for the pew pew. Knew how bad the writing was going to be since Marauder. If I want well written Starship Troopers I'll read the book. Just in it for the action, which the preview seemed to offer. 

13 hours ago, Focslain said:

Much like @TangledThornsI'm in it for the pew pew. Knew how bad the writing was going to be since Marauder. If I want well written Starship Troopers I'll read the book. Just in it for the action, which the preview seemed to offer. 

Marauder was bad too but it was Shakespeare compared to this.

On 6/5/2021 at 7:10 AM, sqidd said:

Is it dubbed?

Sorry for the late reply; yes, you can watch it either dubbed in English or in Korean with subtitles.

On 6/5/2021 at 3:57 PM, kajnrig said:

I enjoyed it, though it does fall victim at times to some of the same overplayed tropes of Korean drama as, well, other Korean dramas do.

I guess it's good that I don't watch much Korean TV, eh?

I didn't particularly like the revelation at the end of the first season(?), either, but it's honestly a small inconsistency in the grand scheme of things.

To what are you referring?  I binged both seasons so they kind of run together.

I don't think I've finished... or even begun?... the second season, but apparently there's a movie coming out soon?

A movie or a stand-alone episode.  I'm unclear if it's to wrap up a plot thread and that's it, or if it's meant to bridge the gap between season 2 and an eventual season 3.  I know the creator wants to the show to keep going, but whether the production companies involved do or not...

In other Netflix news, Castlevania might be over, but I hear the same people are going to make another Castelvania series about Richter.

• 2 weeks later...

I am admittedly a J. Clarkson fan, so of course I enjoyed his new Farming Series.  However, it wasn't because of Jeremy being well Jeremy, or rather the Clarkson who we've all either come to love or hate. While he never actually says the infamous, "How hard could it really be?"; it is heavily implied in the first episode or two and then reality sets in.  It is truly a heartwarming Series but not necessarily Family friendly as there are quite a few F bombs from the entire cast and one cast member whom not even the closed captioning could decipher.  He attempts several different projects on roughly 1000 acres, including grains, sheep, poultry, wassabi, Farmers Market, and a few others.  Naturally this is far more than any one person could handle in a year so he is constantly adding labor force to the Farm. Worth the watch, even if you hate Clarkson as you can relish in his defeats of which there are many.

Started going through "L.A.'s Finest" after coming across the fact it's an offshoot of the Bad Boys Franchise.  Gabrielle Union reprises her role as Sydney Bernette, Marcus's/M. Lawrence's sister from the 2nd film. Jessica Alba is the partner in the Series so things could look worse.  Essentially it's a typical Buddy Cop Series with a few jokes from the films tossed in and the rare mention of Miami. As a "Buddy Cop" Series it's actually on par with the Rookie, for those who have caught an episode or two of that for reference. As a Bad Boys Spinoff, it's lacking the movie polish and while the formula is in play, the results are not as good as it should be.  Honestly, I find myself more intrigued by the opposing male detective pairs lives than the leading ladies.  Gabrielle's character suffers from plot holes all over the place from 2nd film to present day; Alba's character on paper should be interesting, but she just doesn't sell it or rather half of it when she should. It's enjoyable if you forget about the Bad Boys connection and just take in a decent show. 

14 hours ago, Wolf-1 said:

I am admittedly a J. Clarkson fan, so of course I enjoyed his new Farming Series.  However, it wasn't because of Jeremy being well Jeremy, or rather the Clarkson who we've all either come to love or hate. While he never actually says the infamous, "How hard could it really be?"; it is heavily implied in the first episode or two and then reality sets in.  It is truly a heartwarming Series but not necessarily Family friendly as there are quite a few F bombs from the entire cast and one cast member whom not even the closed captioning could decipher.  He attempts several different projects on roughly 1000 acres, including grains, sheep, poultry, wassabi, Farmers Market, and a few others.  Naturally this is far more than any one person could handle in a year so he is constantly adding labor force to the Farm. Worth the watch, even if you hate Clarkson as you can relish in his defeats of which there are many.

I loved Calrkson Farm

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, sqidd said:

The wife and I just polished Sweet Tooth off. It was pretty good.

<snip>

It is. I read that the guy who created the comic series also thought the show was a good interpretation. That's always cool to see when that happens. What surprised me, is that the comics are reportedly even darker in tone and more violent. I was thinking of checking them out while waiting for news of season 2 but now I don't know. :unsure:

Oh! @Old_Nash created a dedicated thread in case you want to check it out, although it seems to have fallen off the first page.

12 hours ago, technoblue said:

It is. I read that the guy who created the comic series also thought the show was a good interpretation. That's always cool to see when that happens. What surprised me, is that the comics are reportedly even darker in tone and more violent. I was thinking of checking them out while waiting for news of season 2 but now I don't know. :unsure:

Oh! @Old_Nash created a dedicated thread in case you want to check it out, although it seems to have fallen off the first page.

Darker actually sounds good. But I get why they would pull it back a bit for streaming. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just started watching VIKINGS on PRIME though they only have seasons 1-3, dafuq?

We'll probably sign up for one month of Hulu to finish seasons 4-6 of VIKINGS. There are some other shows I want to watch on Hulu as well, namely season 4 of Attack on Titan and the newest season of Rick & Morty.

1 hour ago, TangledThorns said:

Just started watching VIKINGS on PRIME though they only have seasons 1-3, dafuq?

We'll probably sign up for one month of Hulu to finish seasons 4-6 of VIKINGS. There are some other shows I want to watch on Hulu as well, namely season 4 of Attack on Titan and the newest season of Rick & Morty.

Vikings is really good until...

Spoiler

Ragnar dies. Not really a spoiler. It's real history.

It's kinda good after that.

Edited by sqidd

Forgot to mention we finished the final season of BOSCH on PRIME, really good series with fine pacing throughout every episode.

That being said... BOSCH is returning as a private investigator in a spin-off series.

Everything We Know About IMDb TV's 'Bosch' Spinoff

https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment/nation/bosch-imdb-tv-spin-off-show-release-date-cast-news

13 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

Forgot to mention we finished the final season of BOSCH on PRIME, really good series with fine pacing throughout every episode.

That being said... BOSCH is returning as a private investigator in a spin-off series.

Everything We Know About IMDb TV's 'Bosch' Spinoff

https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment/nation/bosch-imdb-tv-spin-off-show-release-date-cast-news

Nice!!!!:yahoo:

I love Bosch. I was a little bummed they killed the show. I guess they didn't? Just transformed it.

On 7/20/2021 at 5:24 AM, kajnrig said:

So my free trial of Hulu ends in a week or so. Any suggestions for what to binge in the time remaining? I've only watched a kids movie (what I got it for) and I think an episode of Bob's Burgers.

I've had Hulu as long as I've had Netflix and I love it, tons of stuff to watch, especially since I dropped cable completely years ago. My number one binge suggestion would be Mr In-Between. Highly, highly, highly recommended, it's an FX series about a man in New Zealand that's former military turned "fixer". The lead is brilliant, it has fantastic performances, it's got a bit of dark humor here and there, and it's got some short but powerful, violent scenes, it's easily one of my favorite new shows in years.

I'd also recommend Solar Opposites, Marvels MODOK, Fargo from FX, season 1 in particular, Bobs Burgers, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Palm Springs which is a hilarious Hulu original movie, Sons of Anarchy and Mayans, The Americans, Hulu's new Animaniacs is fantastic, Black Sails is a really good Starz pirate series, and Handmaid's Tale had two good seasons, one bad, then one okay.

Agreed, Vikings was awesome, loved it. I just finished Black Summer on Netflix, both seasons, and I HIGHLY recommend it. It's not an original twist on zombies, nothing you haven't seen before, they're the fast kind, which ups the intensity IMO, but intensity is the name of the game with this series. Every episode usually has multiple little "mini" episodes in each one, varying in length, some just a minute or two, some take up the whole episode, but the stories tie together. You see how some people got here, or how that happened there, and scenes are shown out of order, Tarantino style. You can't really pin down main characters, people die often, there's no plot armor, and no real big actors to necessitate plot armor. The zombies are insane, fast, relentless, zero regard for themselves, truly terrifying, and people turn after dying quick. Like I said it's nothing terribly new for the genre, but it's executed VERY well, production values are solid, it's legitimately intense and scary, I really enjoyed it.

If you're looking for a good show to watch with your significant other and you're into dark-ish humor.... this is it. My wife and I just blew through season 1. I'm not much into "funny". But this show had me LOL'ing a lot. Like pause it for a few seconds so I can compose myself again laughing.:lol:

This trailer (below) really doesn't do it justice. They left a lot of the snark and darkness out. 

And Alexandra Daddario is not exactly hard to look at for 10 episodes.:wub: Man, she makes me weak in the knees.

46d962f1db4c7fe015c543eb9a49ee75.jpg

Edited by sqidd

I know I’ve mentioned the show before, but seriously:  Ted Lasso.  

After a bit of a shaky season premiere episode (one cruelly funny incident, but a bit of a reset, shake-up, and catch-up), this Season 2 Episode 2 was like a well-oiled machine, hitting on all cylinders with its comedy and heart.