http://www.thewrap.com/movies/article/jj-abrams-set-direct-next-star-wars-film-exclusive-74596

Reached by TheWrap, Lynne Hale, spokeswoman for Lucasfilm, declined to comment immediately. Neither CAA, which represents Abrams, nor Bad Robot immediately responded to requests for comment.

So if no one is saying anything, either this is still in negotiations or BS. I'm gonna wait for an official press release. Gotta love the age of instant news...

Mod Note: Yes, I will lock this thread if this end up being false.

Lucas already wrote out all 9 episodes back in the 70's right? Episode 7,8,9 is supposed to follow Han and Leia's kids, so it won't take place too long after ROTJ right?

Man, if Abrams is doing it, I hope the X-wing and the Falcon don't get the same treatment the Enterprise did.

I'd like to see confirmation on this as well. Just seems really odd having him helm both Star Trek and Star Wars. It basically gives him a monopoly on science fiction these days. Though if it means him leaving Star Trek alone, I may be for it. Seeing as it was more like Star Wars than Trek anyway, this seems a logical if boring choice.

JJ is a great director in my opinion. Whether he's 'right' for Star Wars is a different matter though. To date, I've seen him fantastic at emulating other people's work. Star Trek, however, was paving new ground with an existing franchise, and it was quite enjoyable. He will have to bring a totally different aesthetic to Star Wars. I like that he's had plenty of experience with VFX. I look on with interest!

Lucas already wrote out all 9 episodes back in the 70's right? Episode 7,8,9 is supposed to follow Han and Leia's kids, so it won't take place too long after ROTJ right?

I think that this information you are bringing up here is pure speculation. Even if Lucas had said any of this himself I would take it with a pinch of salt. I am sure that as part of the deal with Disney that he probably "sold" them ideas for episodes 7,8 and 9 (pure speculation again, mind you) but if he wrote anything detailed about further episodes in the 70's of 80's I doubt we will see it on the big screen now.

I think some people are afraid of the utter hatred and loathing that at least half the star wars fanbase will deliver no matter what decision they make about anything. :p I don't blame them. I wouldn't want to be in Lucas's shoes after all the rage the prequels produced. The films will most likely generate a metric crapload of money no matter how they turn out, but it might not be enough to convince someone who's comfortable with their existing portfolio.

Seems like he'd be a fitting choice though in some ways.. the latest Trek stuff felt more like Star Wars anyway. :blink:

Nobody wants to direct this movie ...

Why would anybody want to direct this movie? It doesn't matter how good or bad it is, the fanrage is guaranteed anyway. SW fans have had over thirty years to imagine what they would want to see in these films and most of them will probably be disappointed.

Bet we gonna see a Bad Robot droid.

That would be cool.

I think the idea of the same Director at the helm of the reinvention of Star Trek also at the helm of a new generation of Star Wars films is kind of surreal. This considering how the two franchises have traditionally been looked upon as opposites (for lack of a better term) like the hardcore fans of one can't also be hardcore fans of the others.

Plus lens flare light saber battles!

*and no, lens flare didn't bother me at all in Star Trek

-b.

I guess I'm going against the grain here and saying that I'm not exactly pleased if this news turns out to be true.

I've always said that JJ can direct a fast-paced plot. But the problem has always been that those plots don't stand up too well after you take the time to really analyze them. He can be a good plotter. . . . .but a bad storyteller. He tends to let the plot drive the characters rather than let the characters direct where the plot should go.

One thing that kinda bugs me is when he says about the Star Wars films that "so much of the spectacle has been done and it seems like every aspect has been covered."

I almost instantly have to call bullsh*t on that. There's a ton of ground in the Star Wars universe not covered by the six films. I see a quote like that and it makes me think, "Why are you thinking like that? Why do you have the 'putting the cart before the horse' mentality? Come up with a good story, and it will make those visual effects, designs, and locations more compelling and memorable."

Yes the X-Wing is a cool design. But it's freakin' memorable because it's the small-ass fighter that took down the big bad Death Star.

All one has to do is look at the prequels to see an example of great special effects trying to prop up a story that's subpar and lacking.

If this news does turn out to be true, I guess I can always hope that whoever the executive producer is will balance JJ out and reign in some of those tendencies I mentioned above.

This considering how the two franchises have traditionally been looked upon as opposites (for lack of a better term) like the hardcore fans of one can't also be hardcore fans of the others.

Actually, I'd consider myself a hardcore fan of both franchises. They both have their flaws, but there are aspects of both that I really love. Both are classics, and Empire Strikes Back and DS9 are easily my absolute favorite film and TV show, respectively, of all time.

Edited by Mog

Not strange, just status quo. This is always how the PR has operated in Hollywood. No one offically attached to a production ever confirms, speculates or spoils anything until it's already been polished and practiced for a major press release...unless you're Timothy Olyphant appearing on Conan :)

J.J. Abrams is a fine choice and always has been the obvious pick. They could have done worse...MUCH worse. At least it's a step in the right direction. How the rest turns out, we can only wait and see.

Edited by Mr March

J.J. Abrams is a fine choice and always has been the obvious pick. They could have done worse...MUCH worse. At least it's a step in the right direction. How the rest turns out, we can only wait and see.

Yup, like M. Night. Look what he did to Avatar.

Personally, I really like the idea of JJ directing the next Star Wars.

Chris

Not strange, just status quo. This is always has the PR has operated in Hollywood. No one offically attached to a production ever confirms, speculates or spoils anything until it's already been polished and practiced for a major press release...

And contracts looked over by your agent and/or lawyer.

Why would they? These are sequels, not reboots.

Man, I hope you're right. Assuming that the X-wings will even be in the next film, I hope they don't get redesigned too much, if at all.

I didn't mind the lens flare actually. In fact, I pretty much liked everything about JJ's Star Trek film except the positon of the hull.

Redesigns - we don't even know what timeframe the movie will take place. If I had to guess it would be 30 years or so after the original trilogy, and other then the Falcon just about every other ship should updated by then anyway. Of course replacing all those old Star Destroyers is probably still under way...

Still no official announcement. But these 2 came out today.

STAR WARS Director J.J. Abrams Will Still Be Involved With STAR TREK 3

JJ Abrams Gets Orders For New Shows – One With Superpowered Girl, One With Robot Cop

Sounds like he's still under contract to continue on with what he has.

I see a quote like that and it makes me think, "Why are you thinking like that? Why do you have the 'putting the cart before the horse' mentality? Come up with a good story, and it will make those visual effects, designs, and locations more compelling and memorable."

Yes the X-Wing is a cool design. But it's freakin' memorable because it's the small-ass fighter that took down the big bad Death Star.

All one has to do is look at the prequels to see an example of great special effects trying to prop up a story that's subpar and lacking.

I think you are really getting to the heart of what we should all really be concerned about here. Direction and FX are important, yes, but if the script is not there to give the film good places to go it all falls apart. (This was the major flaw of the prequel trilogy, forget those whinging about Hayden and Jar Jar, etc)

Some of you might remember when this image.......

tpmplotposter.jpg

......was posted on the Star Wars website after the release of Godzilla, effectively having a go at Godzilla for having a bad plot and also effectively saying that the Prequel Star Wars stuff would focus on plot. What a lie that was as we all were soon to see how crap the storyline and writing was for the Prequel trilogy. So with that sort of carry-on taking place in the past, it shows that the writing is going to be critical to episodes 7,8 and 9, but I still have very low expectations.