Bandai DX YF-30 Chronos

UN Spacy

and this thing was beginning to grow on me too. at first i just ordered it becase..."new valk", then i started to come around. now, it needsa back brace in battroid (i'd have been ok with it in gerwalk because face it that gerwalk mode never looked like it was gonna support itself...though it seems the tradiational gerwalk mode can be achieved wtihout the brace...it is the additiaonl flip down of that bottom piece that allows the waist twist in gerwalk that demands the use of that brace. disappointed to see it seems like it might be necessary for battroid.

So basically, the back brace is there to prevent it from flopping around like the YF-19 v1, or something like that?

Kinda seems like Bandai got lazy to me, and couldn't figure out the engineering. That said, I already have 2 on order, and each will permanently be in fighter, and battroid mode respectively.

So basically, the back brace is there to prevent it from flopping around like the YF-19 v1, or something like that?

Basically, there's an extra piece in batroid mode and we have no idea what it actually does or how necessary it is to the final product, but were all freaking the hell out about it because macrossworld. :rolleyes:

It's very unfortunate how this figure is turning out, that sucks that it's proving disappointing for those who were actually looking forward to it. I've got 5 on pre-order, with zero intention of actually owning one myself, they're all going in storage along with 3 different YF-29s that I managed to get a hold of, well I guess two aren't I promised one to my cousin and I'm giving one to my friend Chris for his birthday. After seeing how Bandai valks sell after release I've decided to start collecting figures that I find for a good price and storing them, keep them nice and new in case I need a new rainy day fund.

I feel you guys. I now have doubts too but I'm still excited to see this in person. I guess, if I were to play with it during Battroid mode, then I have to put the back bracket. But if I will just display in Battroid mode standing up, then I guess it's fine that the torso is resting in place above the canopy. It's still felt kinda a bad engineered toy regarding the torso/canopy part but atleast Bandai tried to fix their problem by adding the bracket. Assuming that IT IS neglected during designing process. Otherwise, if we got those valks without the brackets and figured out the problem afterwards then we will just starting to bad mouth Bandai once again. Hehehe. :D

I guess, the wait and see games starts... now. ;)

Thank God for this video. I wouldn't be able to navigate a transformation like that with only the instructions. In all honesty, i may never attempt a transformation with this. It may be the only piece I own that is display / store in box only.

Basically, there's an extra piece in batroid mode and we have no idea what it actually does or how necessary it is to the final product, but were all freaking the hell out about it because macrossworld. :rolleyes:

Except we saw a video that shows exactly where it goes and why it's there so we do have a real reason to "freak out" because the solution is a half-assed pos.

It's half-assed and you frakking know it. Sarcastic comments about what I can and can't do won't change the fact they didn't do this right.

I don't think it's half-assed since the transformation looks complicated. I can understand if you were excited to buy this an let down when you found out it had parts to keep it more stable but you don't have to have a cow about it. They might tighten up the joints closer to release and who knows, it might not even need them

It's half-assed and you frakking know it. Sarcastic comments about what I can and can't do won't change the fact they didn't do this right.

It's not half assed at all, it's needed to keep the price low enough to keep people from bitching about that too.

It's not half assed at all, it's needed to keep the price low enough to keep people from bitching about that too.

That is the stupidest thing I've read in a while. We couldn't add a tab... or some magnets... or something because that would add $10 and it won't sell at +10 so instead we'll make it floppy because everybody looking for a fully transforming toy would rather pay $10 less for a floppy Valk that requires a giant plastic brace to hold together.

I don't think it's half-assed since the transformation looks complicated. I can understand if you were excited to buy this an let down when you found out it had parts to keep it more stable but you don't have to have a cow about it. They might tighten up the joints closer to release and who knows, it might not even need them

Having a complicated transformation is not a legitimate excuse for leaving out something so simple. Hoping they'll suddenly tighten/fix something at the 11th hour when their promotional video shows a giant clip is foolish at best. There's a reason why a lot of people were skeptical of Bandai back when they first heard about this. It's a new mold and Bandai has a habit of messing things up... once again.

That is the stupidest thing I've read in a while. We couldn't add a tab... or some magnets... or something because that would add $10 and it won't sell at +10 so instead we'll make it floppy because everybody looking for a fully transforming toy would rather pay $10 less for a floppy Valk that requires a giant plastic brace to hold together.

That's actually what seems to have happened to Masterpiece Ultra Magnus. It COULD have been done with a few more hinges/parts to "fold more bits away" and streamline the silhouette a bit more---but Takara said the resulting increased price would drive too many fans away. So it's a bit simplified compared to the original planned drawings. And suffers for it.

I believe they are wrong, and that any fan that's been waiting 25 years for the "ultimate" Ultra Magnus toy would want the best possible version regardless of cost, but that's their explanation.

That's actually what seems to have happened to Masterpiece Ultra Magnus. It COULD have been done with a few more hinges/parts to "fold more bits away" and streamline the silhouette a bit more---but Takara said the resulting increased price would drive too many fans away. So it's a bit simplified compared to the original planned drawings. And suffers for it.

I believe they are wrong, and that any fan that's been waiting 25 years for the "ultimate" Ultra Magnus toy would want the best possible version regardless of cost, but that's their explanation.

Yeah, that's a cop out.

People had PO's for $250 for months at BBTS for Ultra Fattus, and were clearly willing to pay that, which is almost $100 more than the $150 he's on offer for now.

I think plenty of people would pay $50-60 bucks more for this piece too.

I think they just get to a point that they are too far down a path to change things and still make money.

But hey, I guess it's better than it not getting made, but a renewal won't be too far behind.

Edited by Gakken85

I think plenty of people would pay $50-60 bucks more for this piece too.

I think they just get to a point that they are too far down a path to change things and still make money.

But hey, I guess it's better than it not getting made, but a renewal won't be too far behind.

I'm sure there would be people who would still buy this at $250 retail but its a bigger risk for them because its a new Valk and have no idea how its going to sell. Then again these things sell out like crazy anyway. Oh and don't forget that this Valks already quite abit higher than others at retail.

A lot of backseat driving going on here. "I mean, I have no idea about the economics of running a toy company... but I'm pretty sure the toy company got it wrong." There's a chance you're right... but ya know... there's a pretty good chance you're not.

Let's think of this another way rather than the economic choices being made. This is any company's anywhere first effort at making a YF-30. Think back at every first version of a VF toy you've ever bought. Most of you should be cancelling your preorders after that trip down memory lane. While there's been great strides in toy engineering over the years there's still no substitute for experience. The renewal version will kick butt though! :)

Except we saw a video that shows exactly where it goes and why it's there so we do have a real reason to "freak out" because the solution is a half-assed pos.

We saw a video where they plugged it in on a test shot with basically zero context as to why it's there. Nothing in the video proves that it's a required piece and we've seen photos of the toy free standing without it before. Until someone gets one in hand we have no way of knowing if the extra brackets are actually required to make the toy work or not. Yes there's a chance that the torso won't lock together without that bracket, but there's an equal chance that it's just an extra part that helps but isn't necessary like the extra crotch support on the VF-27, or even that it really is just a stand adapter and they're showing how it attaches in the video.

A lot of backseat driving going on here. "I mean, I have no idea about the economics of running a toy company... but I'm pretty sure the toy company got it wrong." There's a chance you're right... but ya know... there's a pretty good chance you're not.

This. Because the company that has been designing and building toys/collectibles for years couldn't possibly know as much about engineering these things as me!

Funny how everyone's an expert.

This. Because the company that has been designing and building toys/collectibles for years couldn't possibly know as much about engineering these things as me!

Funny how everyone's an expert.

Thats the internet for you my friend. :S

Edit: Oh god i hate mobile

Edited by ULessa

If another $50 or $60 was tacked on to the price, just to remove the need for this piece; would it not share the same fate as the new YF-19? I mean this release would just be the Valk, no FPs or a ton of missiles like the YF; so price would be an issue. A pretty big issue.

After I watched the transformation video a second time I think there is a good chance that it can stand without the prongs in Battroid- and Gerwalk-Mode. It probably will be floppy so if you want play with the YF-30 you should attach them so it stays together well.

It worries me that the nosecone is that floppy and that they didn't include some kind of clip or a ratcheted joint or something like that. Maybe he transformed a prototype so it will be fixed on the release.

It would be interesting if someone could translate the captions on the screen. Maybe the panic will calm down if they would state that the prongs are optional. :p