1/60 Yamato VF-4G Web-Exclusive Toy

Graham

VF-4 Poll  

333 members have voted

1. 1. If you lived in Japan would you pre-order a VF-4?

• I would pre-order but I'm not sure I can afford it.
    • Yes I would pre-order, but I would only buy it if it was under $300 (about 24000円).
    • I would pre-order it and buy it at any price.
    • I would pre-order it just to bump the numbers, but won't actually buy it.

Transformed my 2nd 4G from NY all smooth and nice :). Just the cockpit was a little hard to push down the first time.

And just noticed after some manipulation that some material is coming out from the ball joints on the thighs on my first one from HLJ. What is it?

It does not seems to affect the strength of the articulation.

Happened to one of my copies too. I think it's dried up excess glue.

Looks like it could be some kind of lubricant. How does it feel on the fingers?

It is much like dried white glue. Kinda flexible and brittle.

That kinda looks like what seized up my shoulder joint.

Mine have some in the shoulders too, but it peels really easy.

Edited by Froy

They are going to be silver (Alclad Metalizer) but it will be the last step after the clear coating... (to keep it looking like Aluminum)

Here's a shot of the finished nosecone...

post-244-0-65335600-1358131068_thumb.jpg

What did you use to mask the nose cone? How did you manage to mask around the grey and the black area?

Did you use primer for the nose cone? I wanted to do it too, but I am worry about the durability of the paint, especially in the area where the pegs and the fins slide in. Any suggestions?

Thanks

unfortunately, bad diecast happens. Despite being a generally cheap metal, it's still pretty strong, it's doubtful that the guy(gal) putting it together broke it by forcing it. Much more like it was just a bad pour, which happens from time to time.

Just a little bit of lead will heavily compromise the integrity of most diecast alloys. And frankly, Chinese factories aren't that good at ensuring no lead gets into their products... (or even worse, they do it on purpose, because lead is cheap--they mix a little in instead of the more expsensive specified metal, hoping no one will notice)

Just a little bit of lead will heavily compromise the integrity of most diecast alloys. And frankly, Chinese factories aren't that good at ensuring no lead gets into their products... (or even worse, they do it on purpose, because lead is cheap--they mix a little in instead of the more expsensive specified metal, hoping no one will notice)

I doubt they do it on purpose. My wife works with various metals she sources from all over the world. She constantly complains about the purity of her chinese suppliers and this is for high end manufacturing and R&D applications.

Your VF-4 has a broken arm?

nice to know the old Yammie Russian Roulette is alive and well... :(:angry::(

I doubt they do it on purpose. My wife works with various metals she sources from all over the world. She constantly complains about the purity of her chinese suppliers and this is for high end manufacturing and R&D applications.

also nice to know that it really isn't YAMATO's fault.

indeed, as i have long feared, the bane of the 21st century world dependance on Chinese-manufactured goods; piss-poor QC, 24/7/365.

really now, China has been world class purveyor of five-n-dime 3rd and fouth-class consumer goods for a very long time.

and yet, today, the world suddenly expects the nation to suddenly re-invent is long-ingrained manufacturing habits practically overnight.

Dream On, is all i really have to say, Dream On... :rolleyes:

Edited by Shaorin

What did you use to mask the nose cone? How did you manage to mask around the grey and the black area?

Did you use primer for the nose cone? I wanted to do it too, but I am worry about the durability of the paint, especially in the area where the pegs and the fins slide in. Any suggestions?

Thanks

I just used Tamyia masking tape (love that stuff!). If you press hard around the area, you will see the engaved panel line telegraph through, I took a very sharp knife and lightly cut tracing around the panel line - try not to dig into the plastic. No I didn't prime, I thought about it, but then I didn't want to build up the layers which might be worst when rubbing. I used enamel paint (being better than acrylic) but I couldn't find a suitable lacquer (which is more durable). I don't think much rubs against it except for the underside pegs, but they seem to only go into the holes, so I think we're good, most would be some chipping around the holes/slot on the underside which I am prepare to live with considering how few times I intend to transform it.

finally an update from tracking stating that my VF-4 cleared customs today in LA!!

Dec 31

17:07 Arrival at inward office of exchange AMC LOS ANGELES UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

Dec 31

17:08 In Customs AMC LOS ANGELES UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

Jan 14

03:29 Departure from inward office of exchange AMC LOS ANGELES UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

Man, can't WAIT to get this!!! only trouble i have now is figuring out where to display this as it doesn't really go with any of my other macross shelves.

Edited by KiriK

Well, here's some shots of my hinge breakage.

post-244-0-61180000-1358130815_thumb.jpg post-244-0-06521600-1358130817_thumb.jpg

post-244-0-37505100-1358130818_thumb.jpg

Note to everyone else, do not work on the bird while its together, take it apart to start sanding and masking. I must of damaged my hinges while I was trying to sand the nosecone until I figured out I could take the nose cone off with just two screws inside (argh!)

A sleep does wonders - after tossing and turning all night thinking about the broken hinges, I came up with a way to "rebuild" the hinges. There really was nothing to salvage, the plastic just crumbled. So I sanded it down and found some stock plastic tubing. I then drilled a hole down and added a cut piece of pin as a metal reinforcement like you would pinning a resin model - hopefully that will take most of the stress.

post-244-0-11839200-1358131010_thumb.jpg post-244-0-40950500-1358131011_thumb.jpg

post-244-0-89808700-1358131012_thumb.jpg post-244-0-21003200-1358131014_thumb.jpg

post-244-0-65729600-1358131015_thumb.jpg

A shot of the finished wings with the white moveable surfaces (before decals and weathering)

post-244-0-30666800-1358131104_thumb.jpg

And this is where I am tonight... leaving it to dry and cure. It takes a lot of getting used to working with enamels (being an Acrylic guy) - it seems to take forever to dry/cure and it forms a seemingly dry skin, but its quite soft underneath. I think I've been fiddling too much before it's dried properly and I have a few tiny nicks and dings here and there, but I'm not going to strip it and start over again. I think after I do the decalling and weathering, that should hide some of the sins. Additionally, Mr. Colour solvent/thinner removed the "Made in China and Big West" copyright tampo really easily.

post-244-0-00147400-1358131273_thumb.jpg post-244-0-46204100-1358131274_thumb.jpg

post-244-0-93013800-1358131275_thumb.jpg post-244-0-35113800-1358131277_thumb.jpg

Gotta keep telling myself to just leave it alone! Its soooo hard, I just want it back together again to zoom around...

William, that looks FANTASTIC!!!

Chris

Edited by Dobber

finally an update from tracking stating that my VF-4 cleared customs today in LA!!

Dec 31

17:07 Arrival at inward office of exchange AMC LOS ANGELES UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

Dec 31

Jan 14

03:29 Departure from inward office of exchange AMC LOS ANGELES UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

Man, can't WAIT to get this!!! only trouble i have now is figuring out where to display this as it doesn't really go with any of my other macross shelves.

Congrats! You should get it by tomorrow since it is "technically" Express Mail now that its out of customs.

Display it with your TH since they are Model Graphix valks.

I will. I'm going to put them next to the TH and Bushmasters.

I got my VF-4 today after the two week customs hell. No problems here, just the missiles shooting off everywhere. Just beautiful. :)

Hmmm after receiving some packages from NY, they really love to reuse boxes and very horribly attempt to tape them back together. The box my 171 came in looked like the front lid was left completely open and then masses of tape was strung around it even though if they just closed it together like a normal box it would have been fine. :confused: And after looking at my VF-4's shipping box NY paid 3,600 yen to ship it which is about $40, and I paid $57 for shipping. I knew NY was overcharging. <_<

Display it with your TH since they are Model Graphix valks.

I will. I'm going to put them next to the TH and Bushmasters.

interesting, but will you have it in battroid? I was thinking to to display it in fighter mode, but again, space becomes an issue, along with there's no other shelf it fits with. Maybe 1/60 vf-1's?

show me a pic when you are done displaying!

I got my VF-4 today after the two week customs hell. No problems here, just the missiles shooting off everywhere. Just beautiful. :)

Hmmm after receiving some packages from NY, they really love to reuse boxes and very horribly attempt to tape them back together. The box my 171 came in looked like the front lid was left completely open and then masses of tape was strung around it even though if they just closed it together like a normal box it would have been fine. :confused: And after looking at my VF-4's shipping box NY paid 3,600 yen to ship it which is about $40, and I paid $57 for shipping. I knew NY was overcharging. <_<

That figures. It was pretty obvious they were overcharging shipping especially considering the cut down recycled boxes. Seriously i think they would've sold more if they didn't charge so much for shipping. I probably would've bought another. N-Y quality of service has been slowly going down hill. My vf-171 came in with a missing part (not their fault but the way they choose to handle it was ridiculous). My vf-25G came with the shipping box punctured in the centre. The hole went through the toy box but didn't damage the toy. Still i expected to give me $20 off since i don't have a MSIB vf-25g anymore or even a coupon for my next purchase. Nope, never replied after my second email with the requested pics they asked for. Unfortunately they have us by the balls as they are the only place to get bandai valks without resorting to ebay scalpers. If that situation changes be sure i will stop ordering from them.

That figures. It was pretty obvious they were overcharging shipping especially considering the cut down recycled boxes. Seriously i think they would've sold more if they didn't charge so much for shipping. I probably would've bought another. N-Y quality of service has been slowly going down hill. My vf-171 came in with a missing part (not their fault but the way they choose to handle it was ridiculous). My vf-25G came with the shipping box punctured in the centre. The hole went through the toy box but didn't damage the toy. Still i expected to give me $20 off since i don't have a MSIB vf-25g anymore or even a coupon for my next purchase. Nope, never replied after my second email with the requested pics they asked for. Unfortunately they have us by the balls as they are the only place to get bandai valks without resorting to ebay scalpers. If that situation changes be sure i will stop ordering from them.

Yes NY shipping was horribly overpriced, I'd never ordered from them before and decided to keep my order after HLJ put the VF-4 due to loyalty at them being the first, expected a big box full of bubble paper but instead got the thinnest box possible with mashed up newspaper that served no purpose other than add up weight. Their email response is ultra slow and they did not adjust the price of my first VF-4 after they lowered the price, it was only 10 bucks but still, I will not order from them again unless they have something I really want and can't find anywhere else.

VF5SS, awesome piece with hardpoint attachment, beauty of it it doesn't affect transformation.

VF5SS, awesome piece with hardpoint attachment, beauty of it it doesn't affect transformation.

It's basically a solid version of the hinged belly plates the toy comes with so you just pop the standard ones (transforming it tends to do that anyways) and put in the ones with the hard point. Any given missile pod or cluster is too big to leave on the figure while transforming it anyways so I figure a simple one part piece is okay.

They are going to be silver (Alclad Metalizer) but it will be the last step after the clear coating... (to keep it looking like Aluminum)

Will you be doing the tailcone and/or head cover in tan too, like the nose? ("officially" they should be, but you're not going for an exact match to the FB2012 scheme)

I think a bare-metal tailcone would be nice, and appropriate for many planes.

Dec 31

Dec 31

Jan 14

I had one sit in customs until the 7th. I called and cussed them out, suddenly the next day a VF-4 and VF-17D cleared customs and are in Albuquerque. I then called again on the 12th and cussed them out again... suddenly it's cleared customs the 13th and shows up at my house today.

I have yet to hear from NY on my customer service request. I might try to contact Yamato via a friend in japan...

How long has it been? They can take awhile to respond. However, if you have a contact in Japan who can help you out that's great.