1/60 Yamato VF-4G Web-Exclusive Toy

Graham

VF-4 Poll  

333 members have voted

1. 1. If you lived in Japan would you pre-order a VF-4?

• I would pre-order but I'm not sure I can afford it.
    • Yes I would pre-order, but I would only buy it if it was under $300 (about 24000円).
    • I would pre-order it and buy it at any price.
    • I would pre-order it just to bump the numbers, but won't actually buy it.

Thanks, jenius! Scorched Earth Toys, here I come!

Thank you for checking it out! I'm probably going to add a fighter mode comparison pic next week but there is a battroid mode pic for now. Here's another sample pic for those who haven't visited yet:

Yamato-160-VF-4-4.jpg

I think I also have a pretty decent conspiracy in the review regarding why we got a VF-X paint scheme....

I think I also have a pretty decent conspiracy in the review regarding why we got a VF-X paint scheme....

You mean the one where they already have the licence for VF-X, but to get a licence for FB2012 would require more money?

Are you guys talking about the rotation of 22 on page 9? I see many people don't rotate that to enable more degree of elbow movement, it's very tight so I won't even try that. I prefer this thing in fighter mode.

Did you fold the fin properly on step 11 like what it shows on step 12? Don't be fooled by step 13.

Thanx Vi-RS, yeah I checked step 11 & 12, I'm definately transforming it correctly.

I may try not pushing the cockpit down as far in step 9 and see if the nose cone hole & crotch peg line up better and hope that doesn't effect step 31 & 32.

I do think it would have been a better idea if that little swing bar attached to the shoulder slid backwards and forwards so they could have included just a little bit more length on the arms that way they could be slightly more pose-able in Battroid.

Graham how could you not like battroid?!? :o/> Im pretty critical and I think it looks great.

To be honest, I'm much more a fighter mode person.

And although this may horrify many on this thread, the VF-4, is actually one of my least favorite VFs.

Nice engineering on the toy though.

Graham

I don't like the battroid or gerwalk either. My favorite is still the original VF-1. Still remember how I was in awe as a kid when the VF-1D suddenly sprang arms and feet. Then finally changed into battroid. That was it. I was hooked.

And although this may horrify many on this thread, the VF-4, is actually one of my least favorite VFs.

Graham

It's alright Graham, I'm the same way with preferring fighter mode.

As for not liking the VF-4 it's ok, people like what they like. For me it's the VF-17, for the life of me I can not understand why people like it so much. Particularly the Yamato version, it's so chubby looking in fighter mode. It's all good though. ;)

Chris

As for not liking the VF-4 it's ok, people like what they like. For me it's the VF-17, for the life of me I can not understand why people like it so much. Particularly the Yamato version, it's so chubby looking in fighter mode. It's all good though. ;)

Chris

They love the VF-17 because Gamlin Kizaki is one awesome dude!

GAMLIN KICK! *swoosh*

I wasn't a big fan of the vf-4 either. In fact, I only begrudgingly bought this toy because... well, because. But I have to say, the toy is so excellent it's made me a fan.

That's how I was when I bought one of Valk009's 1/72 VF-4 kits. Thought it looked nice and it was a good price that could help me round out my collection. Then, while building it I really started to appreciate the design.

Chris

woa woa woa woa...there's v2 Yamato YF-19 in the works???

I'm pretty much a fan of the VF-4 because of FB2012, the conclusion to the original Macross and the evolution of the VF-1, also, I like the design a lot.

I was not a fan of battroid, but Yamato has now made me love battroid, just looking it in fighter mode you can't imagine how the hell that thing would turn into battroid. Gerwalk looks awkward for me.

Nothing wrong with liking one VF design more or less than another. I'm very happy we've gotten so many great VF toys over the past decade. :)

I'm especially glad to have finally filled in the generation gap between the VF-1 and VF-11.

My favorite things about the VF-4 are that it looks totally different from any other VF toy we've seen, and there are no obvious indications that it transforms (head sticking out, arms seen tucked under the fuselage, etc).

When I have the time, I plan on at least repainting the nose and stabilizers to their proper FB2012 colors.

My buddy Kevin came over yesterday and I decided to show him my new Valks. He's always drooled over all of them but still liked the VF-1 best because of it's connection to Robotech (what we both saw first.) His official favorite Battroid mode is now the VF-4. I'd buy him one but.... kind of expensive.

As for not liking the VF-4 it's ok, people like what they like. For me it's the VF-17, for the life of me I can not understand why people like it so much. Particularly the Yamato version, it's so chubby looking in fighter mode. It's all good though. ;)/>

Chris

Haha, the Yamato VF-17's fighters mode is positively svelte compared to the Bandai 1/65 version.

Graham

Graham

Agreed. The Battroid just looks weird. Clearly an after thought in comparison to the rest. The fighter mode however is awesome. I don't even want to transform mine!

Chris

I agree with this too. the 171 is a much better version of the mech (in all modes)...but the Yamato VF-17s just look like toys for children to me.

Got mine yesterday. None of the photos I've seen do it justice, simply beautiful!

... and what's this talk about a YF-19 V2?

What talk? It's pretty much a given.

We're all just waiting for those prototype pics.

I agree with this too. the 171 is a much better version of the mech (in all modes)...but the Yamato VF-17s just look like toys for children to me.

Each to their own, but the VF-17D/S's battroid mode is my all time favorite battroid. So mean and aggressive looking. Special Forces Heavy Battroid........love it.

Graham

Graham

Graham has been infatuated with the VF-17S/D since the beginning of time, for him there's no better valk than the VF-17 NIghtmare. Yamato did a good job with the VF-17, the valk itself on lineart if chubby with a little help of anime magic, but the Macross 7 VF's designs except for the VF-11C and VF-22S were all chubbier design wise.

I do not like the VF-171.

I would really like a v2 YF-19, last week I took it out my YF-19 and the nose and arms just fell off, spent over an hour disabling, gluing, sanding and putting it back together, ended up very nice and firm instead of the loose mess it was but lost one of those tiny little screws and gonna see where I can get me one of those hinges that goes in the nose that kept breaking during transformation.

On topic. VF-4 is awesome! I'm gonna try to customize mine this week, will most likely copy Master Chen general idea and not have to fully paint it white.

Why wouldn't they milk the mold?

I'm fairly certain there would not be a 1:1 buy rate for a repaint for those of us who bought this one. I love this toy, but investing another $340-$360 is going to stop many who only bought one of this thing from buying any more, regardless of paint scheme. New paint schemes on 150-250 toys is one thing, investing in two of these is getting closer to $1k than many people are comfortable with.

Speaking of milking, tell that to bandai. I am sure there are plenty of people out there who would buy a reissue of the renewal vf-25's as they missed out on the ridiculously small buy windows (ahem).

I'll agree that it makes sense they would go ahead and release the 2012 paint scheme down the road, but there are arguments against it. As you said in your own review, this valk is relatively unknown and barely saw screen time with Hikaru in the pilot seat and that was a music video. No screen time in combat. More people know this valk from exposure to the game than FB i would wager. We will see I suppose! Ill put my dollar on this being it, or a reissue of this paint scheme in 6 months.