Aren't both Keanu Reeves and Johnny Depp gettng a little long in the tooth to play Spike?

I mean Keanu is 47 and Johnny Depp is 48!

Graham

That's why I think Adrien Brody would probably be a better fit for the part. But it seems that if CB gets made at all, Keanu it will be.

Since we're talking about remakes, here's a comparison between one movie and its remake.

Anthony Zimmer
StudioCanal, 2005
Written and Directed by Jérôme Salle
Starring: Sophie Marceau (Princess Isabelle in Braveheart, Electra King in The World Is Not Enough) as Chiara, Yvan Attal (George in Rush Hour 3) as François Taillandier

Wanted by authorities worldwide, money launderer Anthony Zimmer goes in hiding and has surgery done to alter his face and voice. He tells his lover Chiara to board a train and pick up any man to trick the police into thinking he's Zimmer. She befriends a loner named François, who now becomes a target of a syndicate that Zimmer stole money from.

The Tourist
Spyglass Entertainment/GK Films/Columbia Pictures, 2010
Directed by Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck
Starring: Johnny Depp (Glen in A Nightmare on Elm Street, Gator Lerner in Platoon) as Frank Tupelo, Angelina Jolie (Cash in Cyborg 2, Acid Burn in Hackers) as Elise Clifton-Ward, Paul Bettany (Jarvis in Iron Man 1-2, Silas in The Da Vinci Code) as Inspector John Acheson, Timothy Dalton (James Bond 007 in The Living Daylights and License to Kill) as Chief Inspector Jones

This movie takes all the suspense and mystery of Anthony Zimmer and throws them all out the window; in place are mindless action scenes, overblown settings and props, an incoherent plot and Angelina Jolie. Seriously, why would anyone pick her over Sophie Marceau? Jolie ruins the character with her bland acting and completely fake looks. Johnny Depp does as much as possible to make the film interesting, but even the greatest actors can't make a bad script work.

In short, The Tourist is a perfect example of how not to remake a good French movie. Even worse than Point of No Return (a.k.a. The Assassin) being a cover of La Femme Nikita. Edited by areaseven

on the subject of remakes, how about movies that need a remake.......can you think of any?

The Black Hole might benefit from a remake. The original *nearly* got it right, but they stuffed it up towards the end. Disney is planning a remake but I'm not sure how far along that is.

Personally though, as I'm sure that I have already stated here, I would like to see some SF books that haven't been filmed in the past due to the limitations of SFX get made using CGI.

Most films do not require remakes.

The Black Hole might benefit from a remake. The original *nearly* got it right, but they stuffed it up towards the end. Disney is planning a remake but I'm not sure how far along that is.

Personally though, as I'm sure that I have already stated here, I would like to see some SF books that haven't been filmed in the past due to the limitations of SFX get made using CGI.

Most films do not require remakes.

Troll 2 should get a remake just to see how worse it can get :p

"You don't piss on hospitality!"

on the subject of remakes, how about movies that need a remake.......can you think of any?

"The Last Starfighter", modern computer graphics would be good for it, and I don't think it could get much worse plotwise.

Sort of related, the recent "Clash of the Titans" got sour reviews but it was really no worse or better then the original.

A few Japanese sci-fi movies from the late seventies and early eighties, I remember one that had sparklers on the back of a spaceship. The live action Yamato shows that the Japanese can do spaceships now.

"Green Slime" might be a good contender - even though I liked the original

O.k this could be the only time ever I get to say Hollywood raped my childhood. I was 7 when that came out, it was the first film I ever saw in a cinema.

I almost have as much Black Hole stuff as Macross stuff.

Yeah they stuffed it up in a few places. Some of it due to script and some of it due to the actors, the space scene when boarding the probe ship, the actors didn't like the space suits so didn't wear them.

The whole end bit was pure hippy poo.

The book is only marginally different to the film, but fills in some gaps etc. You don't get to say that often.

I,d love to see it done with modern effects etc, but fear it would loose all the kitch charm of the original.

Just read an article by the would be director, he said he would keep the Cygnus and Maximilian designs but bring in new thinking due to science knowing more about black holes etc. If that is the case I'm down with that.

Edited by big F

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End needs to be remade, or at least done properly. There have been rumors that the script was done after filming, and it really showed on the final product. All the suspense built up on Dead Man's Chest fizzled out on this, with the Kraken being killed off-screen, Norrington just dying in the middle of the film without any character resolution between him and Jack, and a lack of showdown between all the pirates of the world and the East India Trading fleet.

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End needs to be remade, or at least done properly. There have been rumors that the script was done after filming, and it really showed on the final product. All the suspense built up on Dead Man's Chest fizzled out on this, with the Kraken being killed off-screen, Norrington just dying in the middle of the film without any character resolution between him and Jack, and a lack of showdown between all the pirates of the world and the East India Trading fleet.

I totally agree. That film did kind of run like a film with loads cut out. Also the Norrington, Jack story arc fell flat.

Films that need a remake. Hmmm how about ... everything I think of has been done or its idea has already been used in another film. How about Buck Rogers. That has not been touched for a while, there's the nostalgia for the 30 somethings who remember it from the 80's and with a few storyline tweak it could be bang up to date for the now generation.

I think they need to remake Macross DYRL, only live action.

Van Damm as Hikaru.

Pamela Anderson as Misa.

Nicolas Cage as Roy Fokker.

Beyonce as Lynn Minmai.

Steven Segal as a cross dressing Claudia Grant.

Sam Jackson as Gloval.

Micheal Bay to direct, so there will be no need for story, or a script.

This sounds like a suit's wet dream.

Seriously, the ONLY thing Hollywood is making is remakes, sequels or existing IP's. It's getting absurd.

Flash Gordon, The Greatest Adventure of All. Great animated movie that needs a live action version to match... or at least a DVD release of the original movie.

If you are talking about the movie with the Queen soundtrack, it is out on DVD. Or at least it was. Reminds me I need to go watch it again.