The only way I would see a rebooted " The Game of Death" remake is if they followed Bruce Lee's true vision of the movie.

I'm saying this because a few years ago, they found all of Lee's notes regarding the martial arts choreography of the film, and I think they re-edited the DVD version to reflect this.

Actually, Bruce Lee had filmed a good portion of the movie, though it was all at the end of the story (he died before he could finish filming it). Some of the footage was lost and most of the production notes were lost shortly after. They then decided to take what little film they had and hack it together in what was the first of many Bruceploitation movies. This version of the Game of Death bore little resemblence to Lee's vision and had many different scenes with stuntmen and cardboard cutouts (seriously) added to it. Many years later, however, they found all of the footage and production notes. John Little (Bruce Lee's official biographer) and the Lee estate decided to take all of the footage (and only the original footage) and edit it together to more closely resemble the film Bruce Lee had intended to make. There is a great documentary on this, as well as Bruce's life, called Bruce Lee: A Warrior's Journey. It talks about the production of the Game of Death and (for the most part) has all of the footage uncut shown at the end. There's also a book by the same name that goes into more detail.

Long story short: quit trying to exploit Bruce Lee and just do something F*cking original! :rolleyes:

Saw the trailer for "Clash of the Titans" in the cinema last night when I was waiting to see "The men who stare at Goats" (Good to see Ewan as a fantastic type of Jedi in it)

Clash does look impressive.

I think that they should give out Academy Awards for trailers, since its clear these days that the work that goes into them rivals the actual production of the film itself. BUT, I wouldn't award it to the most entertaining trailer, instead I would give it to the trailer that brings in the most business for the crappiest film.

In other words, the trailer that makes the most shit film seem to be good and subsequently brings in the most box office.

Taksraven

I guess they're making a pretty bold visual statement with this Clash reboot--making Pegasus a black stallion [among other changes]. Sort of like they're saying this will be the antithesis of the '81 original, eh?

What's with the costumes though? WTF is that goofy, shiny-fake-plastic-looking-armor sh*t they've got Liam Neeson in supposed to be, eh?

You, sir are no Laurence Olivier!

• 1 month later...

BACK from the dead. Just when you thought (or hoped) that it was safe to forget this stupid thread about stupid films, here we go again.

I read this headline and thought it was talking about an Excalibur remake with Helen Mirren reprising her role....Helen Mirren Joins "Arthur" Remake.

And I LOVE how for this one Garth says "adaptation" rather than remake.

I was hoping that with the abandonment of the sequel to the remake of Friday the 13th that the wheels might have been coming off the remake juggernaut, now I'm not so sure...

Taksraven

Whats the likelihood of a Young Frankenstein remake?

There's a good chance. Look at the Producers.

First it was a funny movie. Then later a play and then a bad movie based on the play.

I think Young Frankenstein has been made into a play. Next thing would be a movie based on the play.

I read this headline and thought it was talking about an Excalibur remake with Helen Mirren reprising her role....Helen Mirren Joins "Arthur" Remake.

Taksraven

LOL.

I think Helen Mirren is a bit too old to reprise the role she had in Excalibur.

I hope they never, never dare to remake that movie. It's brilliant as it is and makes the best use of Carmina Burana in cinema ever.

speaking of remakes...

Did A nightmare on elm street really need one in the first place?

That one got a groan out of me when I saw the first commercial on TV.

I'm glad Jackie Earle Haley is having a resurgence in his career--I remember seeing him in movies as a kid, Bad News Bears, Breaking Away, etc--but come on. He pulled off a great Rorshach in The Watchmen, but with his slight frame (only 5' 5-1/2"), an imposing movie monster he does not make. There was a shot of him in shadowy profile, arms outstretched, brandishing the clawed glove--and all I could think was: FFS! He looks like a fuggin kid in that sweater and hat!

Whats the likelihood of a Young Frankenstein remake?

Oh Hell No!! The original is a classic, trying to do a remake of it should be illegal.

Sometimes older films should be left alone, just look at what happened to Burton's "Planet of the Apes".......

Oh Hell No!! The original is a classic, trying to do a remake of it should be illegal.

Sometimes older films should be left alone, just look at what happened to Burton's "Planet of the Apes".......

Wasnt Burtons remake more faithful to the original book. Thats what I was told anyhow.

They should make some new Conan movies. I think the technology is getting to a point where they could probably do the thing entirely in CGI. They should use Arnie's likeness because for me, Arnold IS Conan. Conan has no other face.

It could nothing, but it's something to ponder... Namely - in casual conversation a question was brought up about Transformers 4 being Transformers 1 version 2.0 ...

That is to say - perhaps they'll reboot the franchise like they did with Spiderman after 3..or are doing with Spiderman after 3 ? (sorry, I don't really follow this stuff that much)....

For me, personally, those Marvel Comics collected books were enough - with all the old original stories.... not that I own any... but I did enjoy reading them in air conditioned book stores one really hot summer in NYC...

Pete

Wasnt Burtons remake more faithful to the original book. Thats what I was told anyhow.

Kinda, with regards to the ending, but in a roundabout way.

The original French novel "La Planete des Singes" has the hero character find a completely different planet with apes as the dominant life forms, at a 20th century technology level. Evidence arises to show that the planet was once ruled by humans who had used apes for manual labour, later to be overthrown by the apes as the humans became lazy and degenerate. The original movie series is closer to the novel in this regard.

At the end of the novel, the hero goes back to Earth, a round trip of 700 years thanks to time dilation, and finds the same thing has happened to the Earth. This is where Burton's film seems closer, but only there. Burton's notion was that rather than time dilation it was the "storm" that was throwing people around in time, since the later you go through the storm, the further back in time you come out... not that it makes a lot of sense (monkey, Wahlberg, station come out in reverse order that they went in, so if Ape-roth goes through after Wahlberg, using leftover pod from station, he arrives in Earth's distant past and conquers the Earth, thus causing massive time paradox preventing human station from being created in the first place?).

I saw the remade "A Nightmare on Elm Street" this weekend. Haley is actually pretty sinister, although I thought they overdid the burn makeup. It's very realistic, but they used a lot of that stretched, smooth effect and it removes some of his ability to emote through the makeup. Englund's Freddy could really sneer... Haley's Freddy has almost no nose. The rest of the dead teenagers, however, are cardboard cutouts. Suffers from the same problem I had with the new "Clash of the Titans"... everyone is just dour and morose and angst-y, as if that's a replacement for having a personality. Craven at least let the audience have some time with the kids in a normal setting, blue skies and a few laughs, before the dying starts.

• 1 month later...

Rather than create a new thread on it, I thought I'd just post about it here...

Sony Pictures Animation (Surf's Up!, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs) and Columbia Pictures are currently working on a live-action/CG adaptation of the 80s classic cartoon The Smurfs, which is set for release on August 3, 2011. The film will feature the following voices:

Jonathan Winters as Papa Smurf

Katy Perry (some slútty pop singer) as Smurfette

Alan "I Am Invincible!" Cumming (Boris in GoldenEye, Nightcrawler in the X-Men film series) as Gutsy Smurf

George Lopez (star of his own self-titled sitcom) as Grouchy Smurf

Gary Basaraba as Hefty Smurf

Anton Yelchin (Chekov in Star Trek, Kyle in Terminator Salvation) as Clumsy Smurf

Fred Armisen (Tino in Anchorman) as Brainy Smurf

John Oliver (British correspondent in The Daily Show with Jon Stewart) as Vanity Smurf

Paul "Pee Wee Herman" Reubens as Jokey Smurf

Kenan Thompson (Fat Albert) as Greedy Smurf

B.J. Novak (Pfc. Utivich in Inglorious Basterds, Ryan in The Office) as Baker Smurf

Jeff Foxworthy (Blue Collar Comedy Tour) as Handy Smurf

Wolfgang Puck (world-renowned chef) as Chef Smurf

Of course, Smurfette was always a slút in the cartoon, so who better to voice her than an equally slútty diva?

As for the live-action portions, Hank Azaria (Moe, Chief Wiggum and Apu in The Simpsons) will be Gargamel. Neil Patrick Harris (Doogie Howser, MD) will also star in the film as an as-yet-named character who encounters the Smurfs in Central Park.

Yes, you read that right - Central Park, New York. Not only is this a remake of the cartoon, the storyline is a rehash of the Disney flop Enchanted.

Actually and unfortunately Enchanted wasn't a flop. It cost 80 mil to make, but made 340+ mil so yeah that shows that people seem to enjoy that ridiculous idea of cartoons being transported to the real world. I think a better reference would have been the live action Fat Albert film.

Actually and unfortunately Enchanted wasn't a flop. It cost 80 mil to make, but made 340+ mil so yeah that shows that people seem to enjoy that ridiculous idea of cartoons being transported to the real world. I think a better reference would have been the live action Fat Albert film.

Oh, my bad. I wasn't paying attention to its box-office numbers or its overrated reviews.

Edited by areaseven

Rather than create a new thread on it, I thought I'd just post about it here...

Sony Pictures Animation (Surf's Up!, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs) and Columbia Pictures are currently working on a live-action/CG adaptation of the 80s classic cartoon The Smurfs, which is set for release on August 3, 2011.

I just threw up a little in my mouth... :blink:

Has anybody heard anything about the remake of The Gate. I stumbled upon a page for it on IMBD, but knowing what paragon they are of accuracy, I wasn't sure if it was real.

I loved the original when I was a kid, but it's been forever since I've seen it. Not sure how I feel about a remake. :ph34r:

Has anybody heard anything about the remake of The Gate. I stumbled upon a page for it on IMBD, but knowing what paragon they are of accuracy, I wasn't sure if it was real.

I loved the original when I was a kid, but it's been forever since I've seen it. Not sure how I feel about a remake. :ph34r:

yeah I heard about that remake as well, but I forget who was going to be behind it