But I do hope NOBODY ever tries to remake a Boggie film. It CAN'T be done and should never be tried.

Now that you mention it, I can't really think of any remakes of Bogart movies. People probably realize that none of today's male performers could pull them off.

Do sequels count...? There was, after all, the '70s version of Farewell, My Lovely with Elliot Gould taking Bogart's place as Philip Marlowe...

Edited by Gubaba

Beat the Devil is another good one :) But I like his noir detective films the best...

As for why no remakes? .... I think it's more than just none of todays male performers being able to pull it off. Mainly it's that the Bogart films were ironically better due to the moral and social censorship that Holywood exercised back then.

The scene in To Have and Have not where he seduces the lady at the book store would have been a sex scene in a modern movie, but as it stood, everything was suggestive and classy - and the girls had to actually work a lot harder to be sexy. These days all an actress has to do is show her tits or just have sex. Back then they didn't have such an easy job of it.

Remember when Bacal shakes her hips at the end of To Have and Have not? That was major sex appeal. Situations like those would be unnecessary in contemporary films precisely because there would just be sex scenes.

The closest that a contemporary film has gotten to evoking those times was Pierce Brosnan in Married Life - when Pierce Brosnan takes the girl out on the town - I love it. He takes her to a diner, and then to a club where they dance. They have tons of fun, it's all very sexy - but there's a classyness to it and a lack of raunchiness. Courting a girl is more demure and more fun as it is presented therein.

I think that spirit has made a return to every day life amongst people - insofar as I can tell - but movies seldom give thought to aesthetic and fashion because people are too busy undressing to think about what to dress up in.

Oh...but I'm off on another of my Dirk Benedict type tirades here :lol: Sorry...

Anyways... in that regard - I'd actually be up for a Boggie remake - if they recaptured that class and style from the 30s and 40s. Yep. I'd be up for it...

Pete

Beat the Devil is another good one :) But I like his noir detective films the best...

As for why no remakes? .... I think it's more than just none of todays male performers being able to pull it off. Mainly it's that the Bogart films were ironically better due to the moral and social censorship that Holywood exercised back then.

The scene in To Have and Have not where he seduces the lady at the book store would have been a sex scene in a modern movie, but as it stood, everything was suggestive and classy - and the girls had to actually work a lot harder to be sexy. These days all an actress has to do is show her tits or just have sex. Back then they didn't have such an easy job of it.

Remember when Bacal shakes her hips at the end of To Have and Have not? That was major sex appeal. Situations like those would be unnecessary in contemporary films precisely because there would just be sex scenes.

The closest that a contemporary film has gotten to evoking those times was Pierce Brosnan in Married Life - when Pierce Brosnan takes the girl out on the town - I love it. He takes her to a diner, and then to a club where they dance. They have tons of fun, it's all very sexy - but there's a classyness to it and a lack of raunchiness. Courting a girl is more demure and more fun as it is presented therein.

I think that spirit has made a return to every day life amongst people - insofar as I can tell - but movies seldom give thought to aesthetic and fashion because people are too busy undressing to think about what to dress up in.

Oh...but I'm off on another of my Dirk Benedict type tirades here :lol: Sorry...

Anyways... in that regard - I'd actually be up for a Boggie remake - if they recaptured that class and style from the 30s and 40s. Yep. I'd be up for it...

Pete

I think Tarintino pulled that type of coyness off quite well in "Pulp Fiction" with the resturaunt scene, even though Travolta's character was ordered to do it. Edited by Wanzerfan

I think Tarintino pulled that type of coyness off quite well in "Pulp Fiction" with the resturaunt scene, even though Travolta's character was ordered to do it.

That part where he is in the bathroom telling himself what he is going to do with Mia waiting outside is one of Travolta's best performances. Great stuff.

Taksraven

I think Tarintino pulled that type of coyness off quite well in "Pulp Fiction" with the resturaunt scene, even though Travolta's character was ordered to do it.

While I have despised every film Tarintino has written and/or directed, I will agree that that scene (the only one of that film that I've seen) really is good. As said, one of Trovolta's best performances ever.

While I have despised every film Tarintino has written and/or directed, I will agree that that scene (the only one of that film that I've seen) really is good. As said, one of Trovolta's best performances ever.

Miramax has just shut down. They made some great stuff and some crap over the years, like most studio's.

Taksraven

Edited by taksraven

Whilst reading Taksravens link to the Dune film story I came across this. I know its not strictly a remake but I think it fits in this thread.

http://sffmedia.com/films/science-fiction-...ion-movie-.html

THe Hyperion cantos is my favourite S&F saga of all. I don't think it will translate very well to film at all due to its length, breadth and complexity. The very fact that they're considering compressing it into just one movie just shows me that they're starting this one on the wrong note.

Whilst reading Taksravens link to the Dune film story I came across this. I know its not strictly a remake but I think it fits in this thread.

http://sffmedia.com/films/science-fiction-...ion-movie-.html

THe Hyperion cantos is my favourite S&F saga of all. I don't think it will translate very well to film at all due to its length, breadth and complexity. The very fact that they're considering compressing it into just one movie just shows me that they're starting this one on the wrong note.

I agree.

And again...most great books just aren't MEANT to be movies. Hyperion is more like a book of linked short stories, anyway...I'm not sure why anyone feels like it's crying out for a film version.

The Vacation franchise is now being rebooted. Yaaay for Hollywood. Why exactly am I working towards getting in this industry again?

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=63234

You are the sort of person that needs to be in the industry, everyone there just for the most part seems happy to just massage the same old tripe and cash in on the takings and obvious product endorsements.

Not sure if this was mentioned yet, but while browsing online yesterday, I noticed that there is a possible remake of Fahrenheit 451 in the works. I saw that Tom Sizemore might be one of the characters.

As for a reboot of the Vacation series, that is just lame.

This is a funny quote...

"'Goonies' would have to be the Goonies on their own as parents and their children doing something," he continued. "But as Steven (Spielberg) said, 'How can you really be going underground finding another gigantic pirate ship filled with treasure? What can be the next adventure?'"

Yeah geee thanks for being concerned about stories Spielberg... too bad you weren't that selective the last time you made a sequel.

Remember when all we would hear about the fourth Indy was that "we won't make it until the script is good! All three principles agree!"

Harrison Ford: Guys, my back hurts...

Spielberg: Call Shia! Let's make this bastard now!

Lucas: w00t! $_$

This is a funny quote...

Yeah geee thanks for being concerned about stories Spielberg... too bad you weren't that selective the last time you made a sequel.

Remember when all we would hear about the fourth Indy was that "we won't make it until the script is good! All three principles agree!"

Harrison Ford: Guys, my back hurts...

Spielberg: Call Shia! Let's make this bastard now!

Lucas: w00t! $_$

Or prior to that.

Oh I made a film with dinosaus in, everyone liked it, but the book was much better and we didnt use much from it. Lets make another one and not use any of the ideas from the second book, and just rehash the one before and add in a boat and a small U.S town.

Oh Oh lets make a third one and just use the last two scripts and rehash.......

Oh by the way I have all three of the films and both the books. IMO if they had used the books instead of making up their own similar story it would have been a far better thing.

Not sure if this was mentioned yet, but while browsing online yesterday, I noticed that there is a possible remake of Fahrenheit 451 in the works. I saw that Tom Sizemore might be one of the characters.

As for a reboot of the Vacation series, that is just lame.

Hopefully that's when he's finished his rehab with Dr. Drew.

• 2 weeks later...

Of all the movies to remake, Way of the Dragon is NOT one of them. And to make matters worse, it's starring Steven Chow... :(

This is just getting ridiculous; is it really that difficult to green-light an original idea? I mean, one of the highest grossing movies of all time wasn't based on a pre-existing franchise. Can't they see some sort of a correlation there?! :angry:

I want to say "No, there's no way that's real", but really, there are people this dumb in real life. These are our future world leaders, people :(

Hopefully not our future leaders, but rather participants in reality shows, or wannabe actors/models.

Because if they are our future leaders I hope the access codes to the nukes are unavailable to them. Just imagine what they would be capable of if someone criticized Robert Pattinson's hair.

The only way I would see a rebooted " The Game of Death" remake is if they followed Bruce Lee's true vision of the movie.

I'm saying this because a few years ago, they found all of Lee's notes regarding the martial arts choreography of the film, and I think they re-edited the DVD version to reflect this.