Predators

Looks like a thinly veiled re-hash of the original concept moreso than a "sequel."

Actually, looks more like a steaming pile of sh*t. Hap-hazardly strung-together kill scenes that have been done 'til they're cliches. Don't know if Laurence Fishburne nor Adrien Brody can carry this one.

LOL, I kept expecting the Spike TV announcer's voice: "...from the producers of Deadliest Warriors..." So where the hell are Max Geiger, Armand Dorian and Geoff Desmoulin? <_<

"Predators! Are you REH-DAY! Humans! Are you REH-DAY! THREE! TWO! ONE!!"

"Yup, getting your chest splayed with those alien 2-pronged forearm blades would definitely produce some serious trauma. I'd have to say that'd be a kill..."

Edited by reddsun1

Predators

Looks like a thinly veiled re-hash of the original concept moreso than a "sequel."

Actually, looks more like a steaming pile of sh*t. Hap-hazardly strung-together kill scenes that have been done 'til they're cliches. Don't know if Laurence Fishburne nor Adrien Brody can carry this one.

LOL, I kept expecting the Spike TV announcer's voice: "...from the producers of Deadliest Warriors..." So where the hell are Max Geiger, Armand Dorian and Geoff Desmoulin? <_<

"Predators! Are you REH-DAY! Humans! Are you REH-DAY! THREE! TWO! ONE!!"

"Yup, getting your chest splayed with those alien 2-pronged forearm blades would definitely produce some serious trauma. I'd have to say that'd be a kill..."

I saw the commercial the other night on TV. Had no idea there was even another Predator movie in the works, let alone for July release. Kinda worries me about how good it might be. I don't consider myself a web trawler, but not even a word about it anywhere I've looked until now..I smell a cheese factory of a movie incoming.

Edited by Zor Primus

No this has been talked about for some time now actually on various sites. The film is being produced by Robert Rodriguez, and the concept sounds better than the last few films with Predators in it.....ahem AVP cough..... I am looking forward to it, it looks like it is trying to get that old feel back to it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

There are two major problems with doing another Bill & Ted movie at this point.

1st: Bogus Journey pretty much had them becoming Wild Stallions, starting world peace, etc. No place else to go.

2nd: And more importantly, George Carlin is dead.

Edited by Keith

There are two major problems with doing another Bill & Ted movie at this point.

1st: Bogus Journey pretty much had them becoming Wild Stallions, starting world peace, etc. No place else to go.

It is a time travel franchise, B&T could be going back in time during the time of the first movie (ala back to the future 2) and make things happen in the background. A little digitial trickery could even make the actors look similar to they way they did back then, and at least Keanu is just as bad and actor now as he was then...

2nd: And more importantly, George Carlin is dead.

That is a problem, using a double or digital editing would be a bad idea, George has not been gone long enough for it to feel "right" doing so.

And on a seperate note - Syfy had a story about the Robocop remake being Cancelled.

• 2 weeks later...

Classic Movie 'Avatar' Updated For Today's Audiences

SEPTEMBER 10, 2010

LOS ANGELES—Paramount Pictures confirmed Monday the Dec. 23 release date for Avatar 2KX, a remake of the beloved 2009 sci-fi thriller Avatar that will bring the story into the modern era with faster-paced action sequences and cutting-edge visual effects. "Avatar was a true classic of its time, but today's audiences demand a state-of-the-art immersive experience that goes beyond the kitschy charm of the original," said Paramount CEO Brad Grey, who ordered producers to cut 40 percent of the original script's dialogue, simplify the moral so that the humans are now the protagonists, and add several Na'vi sex scenes. "Our hipper, bolder, and updated movie is sure to resonate with younger generations and older fans alike." Grey had no comment on speculation that Avatar 2KX would feature cameos from one or more of the original film's surviving stars.

Full story here. :)

Edited by Gubaba

SEPTEMBER 10, 2010

LOS ANGELES—Paramount Pictures confirmed Monday the Dec. 23 release date for Avatar 2KX, a remake of the beloved 2009 sci-fi thriller Avatar that will bring the story into the modern era with faster-paced action sequences and cutting-edge visual effects. "Avatar was a true classic of its time, but today's audiences demand a state-of-the-art immersive experience that goes beyond the kitschy charm of the original," said Paramount CEO Brad Grey, who ordered producers to cut 40 percent of the original script's dialogue, simplify the moral so that the humans are now the protagonists, and add several Na'vi sex scenes. "Our hipper, bolder, and updated movie is sure to resonate with younger generations and older fans alike." Grey had no comment on speculation that Avatar 2KX would feature cameos from one or more of the original film's surviving stars.

good, it's about time.

SEPTEMBER 10, 2010

LOL!

• 1 month later...

Why don't they stick to remaking movies that suck? The crow doesn't need a remake............ have these idiots ever considered re-releasing some of the classic movies into theatres again? I don't understand the need for all these remakes, are they just trying to impress kids who think old movies are boring? Screw that............and not all kids are like that, hell I saw a nine year old boy with a JAWS T-shirt at work once.

But in all honesty if they want to remake movies, then remake the ones that sucked...

nuff said

Also don't tell me most of these remakes will be in 3D.......pfft piss on 3D

its a boring ass gimmick and people are stupid to pay extra money for it!

Just see movies in 2D like we've been doing in the past.

Edited by HappyPenguins

I have been neglecting this thread.

More on the Total Recall remake....

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/18565/colin-farrell-suffers-from-total-recall-

Fantastic Voyage anyone....?

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/18571/kalogridis-leterrier-on-voyage-remake-

Reboot, remake, whatever, I don't think we need more Crow....

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/18566/norrington-out-of-the-crow-remake

Day of the Triffids???

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/18557/sam-raimi-remaking-day-of-the-triffids-

etc, etc, etc,

I'll take this one film at a time.

1.) Arnold Schwarzenegger's rolling in his grave, and the freaking guy ain't even dead yet. (best paraphrase of a line from "The Adventures of Ford Fairlane" that I can think of)

2.) Ever hear of "Antibody"? Basicly it's a "been there, done that" of "Fantastic Voyage".

3.) The Crow died with Brandon Lee as far as I'm concerned.

4.) I think I'm glad that I've never heard of "Day of the Triffids".

4.) I think I'm glad that I've never heard of "Day of the Triffids".

Get yourself to the library and borrow the book by John Wyndham at once (or even better, buy it!).

It's only one of the all-time classic greats of science fiction and belongs on the shelf of every serious science fiction fan.

Graham

And on the subject of books, there are literally thousands, if not tens or hundreds of thousands of fantastic books out there, that have the potential to be made into great films.

Why the film industry seems to be stuck in this rut of endless remakes and remakes of remakes, is beyond me, when there is such a wealth on great new, original material out there, just waiting to be adapted to film.

Graham

And on the subject of books, there are literally thousands, if not tens or hundreds of thousands of fantastic books out there, that have the potential to be made into great films.

Why the film industry seems to be stuck in this rut of endless remakes and remakes of remakes, is beyond me, when there is such a wealth on great new, original material out there, just waiting to be adapted to film.

Graham

Yeah, I've raised similar points before. Live action Lensman, live action Rama ( I dunno if that is in the works), live action Tripods Trilogy (that would have the potential to be brilliant), there is sooooooooo much stuff, and with CGI, there isn't much stuff that is unfilmable effectswise.....

Taksraven

Problem 1a: Hollywood seems incapable of coming out with new, original movie ideas.

Problem 1b (directly related to 1.a): There seems to be few if any screenwriters capable of having an original plot idea.

Solution: Novels!

Now pay me millions of bucks, Hollywood, for solving all your problems!

I know I'd pay good money for a series of movies based on the books of Peter F. Hamilton!

Robocop, Total Recall, True Grit were and are great movies.

I have no need, or conceivable desire to pay good money to see remakes, which will in all likelyhood be markedly inferior to the originals..........especially in 3D!!!!!!

Graham

There's no need to be hostile, guys (the facepalm is a little extreme in this case).

I just thought, but wasn't sure, the work was something goofy from the name (who, but a die-hard sci-fi buff ever heard of a Triffid?), not some materpiece like Heinlein's book Starship Troopers.

At least Verhoeven's not going to touch Triffids (he got so many things wrong in the Starship Troopers movie I'm still pissed pissed at him; that and Casper Van Deim (sp.?) couldn't act his way out of a damed paper bag). I wonder if Bruce Campbell is going to be in Triffids, since Raimi's going to be directing it (he's been involved in almost everything regarding Raimi, includidng the Spider-Man movie video games). I think it's unlikely, though, since he's working on Burn Notice.

There's no need to be hostile, guys (the facepalm is a little extreme in this case).

Remember when I made a list of all the things you'd gotten wrong? It was a long list. And if I were to make a new one, I'm sure it would AT LEAST twice as long. Please look at HOW MANY TIMES you've "put your size nine boots is your mouth" before you say that anyone razzing you for it is being "extreme."

It's really not hard to be correct, but it takes a bit of work. You refuse to do that work, and you make spectacular mistakes nearly every time you post. I don't care where you are or who you're talking to, that's going to get you laughed at no matter what.

The good news is that it's all under your control. Sure, your reputation here is currently shot, no one likes you, and everybody thinks your posts are inane, error-riddled tripe...but if you actually CHECK YOUR INFO BEFORE YOU POST, you can start gaining back some of the goodwill and respect you are currently missing.

It's all up to you. :D

I just thought, but wasn't sure, the work was something goofy from the name (who, but a die-hard sci-fi buff ever heard of a Triffid?), not some materpiece like Heinlein's book Starship Troopers.

Erm...many people. John Wyndham was one of the most respected and beloved science fiction authors to come out of the UK in the '50s and '60s. As such, the book has always been in print since its original publication, and it's usually pretty close to the top of any "best sci-fi books" list...or even "best British books of the 20th century."

Edited by Gubaba

I'll take this one film at a time.

1.) Arnold Schwarzenegger's rolling in his grave, and the freaking guy ain't even dead yet. (best paraphrase of a line from "The Adventures of Ford Fairlane" that I can think of)

I think you should just make this your avatar right so we don't have to keep posting it.

Oh lawd these two remarks,almost killed me I lol'd hard. :lol:

It's really not hard to be correct, but it takes a bit of work. You refuse to do that work, and you make spectacular mistakes nearly every time you post. I don't care where you are or who you're talking to, that's going to get you laughed at no matter what.

Your razzing the guy for an opinion? I have not read Day of the Triffods yet either, and there is a good chance I never will (I read a couple books a week - mostly scifi - and there are still so many I can't get to all of them). I have seen the first of the Triffods movies and based on that read a short review of the differences between it and the novel - so the book does sound interesting.

Your razzing the guy for an opinion?

No, I'm not razzing him at all. It's just that Wanzerfan often posts things that are completely factually wrong (like that Buddy Holly was a bebop singer, that the Japanese government prohibited any depiction of Hikaru Ichijo after the voice actor died, or that there was a scene during the original test broadcast of Robotech that used Megazone 23 footage (despite the fact that Megazone 23 didn't exist when Robotech started broadcasting)), but then he gets upset and annoyed when people tease him about it. :rolleyes:

No, I'm not razzing him at all. It's just that Wanzerfan often posts things that are completely factually wrong (like that Buddy Holly was a bebop singer, that the Japanese government prohibited any depiction of Hikaru Ichijo after the voice actor died, or that there was a scene during the original test broadcast of Robotech that used Megazone 23 footage (despite the fact that Megazone 23 didn't exist when Robotech started broadcasting)), but then he gets upset and annoyed when people tease him about it. :rolleyes:

In those cases, let him have it. But thinking something titled "Day of the Triffods" is not worth following up on is not so bad, the title is right up there with "Megashark vs Giant Octopus" - the fact there is an excellent SciFi story hidden under the title notwithstanding (the excellent story is "Triffods" of course, NOT the shark/octopus...)

[seperate Item]

Not a remake per se (that I know of), but the way the aliens in "Skyline" snatch up humans looks very similar to the similar thing done in "War of the Worlds" from a couple years ago.

Edited by Dynaman

Yeah, I've raised similar points before. Live action Lensman, live action Rama ( I dunno if that is in the works), live action Tripods Trilogy (that would have the potential to be brilliant), there is sooooooooo much stuff, and with CGI, there isn't much stuff that is unfilmable effectswise.....

Taksraven

Wow...another Rama fan...awesome. Arthur C Clarke had a ton of fabulous books that would be epics considering the dredge coming out recently in the name of sci-fi. Childhood's End has Oscar written all over it if screen written and acted right.

The Forgotten Realms series of novels that touches the life of Drizzt Do'urden, lets say the Icewind Dale Trilogy would give LOTR a run for its money.

I'd agree with Graham...no ideas left? Pick up a damn book Hollywood!

Edited by Zor Primus

I've said it before and I'll say it again, he gets things factually wrong because he is a troll. Troll, troll troll troll, simple as that.

Taksraven