Spider-man 3 Thread

I thought it was okay but probably the weakest of the three. They tried to do too much and it crashed and burned in some places. The whole emo Mentos bang bang boogey street walking pimp was PAINFUL to watch. Just as the tango number five duet in the jazz club.

The action scenes were great but it'd be nice if Foreman said WE ARE VENOM at least once in the movie. LOL.

Just got back from it. It was alright. I just felt the whole motivation for the bad guys were abit lame.

Harry: U killed my father...so i must kill u....(as if u ever loved your father...and like you didn't know it wasn't Peter's fault.)

Sandman: Grrr....u spoiled my plans to rob a bank to save my daughter....i must kill u.... (for real?)

Venom: U made a fool out of me and stole my gf that i never really cared about....grrr....die!

Just saw it at the 11:30a.m. showing, the theatre was partly packed, but they had it playing every 30 mins. in 4 screens. Trying to like pt. 3 but didn't like it as much as 1 or 2. The action sequences were good, the cgi of spidey looked great, better than the first film now he moves and lighted really nice. As noted too many plots:

1. Parker's marriage proposal

2. Spidey vs. X-games goblin

3. Spidey vs. sandman

4. Spidey vs. Venom

5. Evil peter/funky dancer peter vs. Flint making cash for daughter vs. Brock becoming staff photographer

6. Semi-romance with Gwen Stacy (her plot line pretty much disappeared after the Jazz show)

The Sandman plot and villain were boring to me, he was shown as super powerful but kept staying in NY to rob banks, just head over to Jersey jeez. Even MJ's character was really annoying in this, it'd been a plus if she commented, "Hey Petey, what's up with the new black suit?" she didn't even say anything how her boyfriend changed emotionally and also as Spiderman.

Had two major gripes. 1. Wish Venom's voice when Brock's face was covered sounded more sinister, rather it sounded like Topher's regular voice still which was pretty wimpy. 2. Why didn't Harry's butler tell him the truth sooner?

This guy had a review with my opinions: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/32546

Edited by baronv

I saw the film Thur Night and absolutely loved it. In regards to the complaints about too many plots involved with the film---Deal with it. This is Raimi and Co's last Spidey film. The studio will probably do another sometime in the future with a new cast and director. Raimi has said that he was finished with Spiderman after this film and alot of the stars have stated that they were onboard as long as he was the director. He originally planned for Sandman to be the films only main villian. Raimi doesn't care for Venom and only included the character to please the fans.

The plot involving Harry has been slowing building since the 1st film. So I don't understand any complaints on this issue. The stuff with the Butler was only to move the Harry plot forward. Novels and comics often introduce characters whose sole purpose is to explain things to get the story moving.

Sandman probably only stayed in NY because that's where his duaghter was. Why else did he escape from prison.

My only major complaints were with MJ's character. She was self centered, Jealous, and disloyal. She's nothing like that in the comic. I think they should've killed her off and at the end of the film hinted at Gwen Stacy and Parker hooking up. I also wasn't a fan of the retcon to Uncle Ben's killer, but it served it's purpose to focus Spidey's anger. But what it did unintentionally was invalidated Peters choice to become Spiderman because Uncle Ben's death wasn't ultimately Peters fault.

I liked it too.

While I do agree it should have been darker, you have to keep in mind the huge kiddie crowd that it was being aimed at as well as long time fans. They couldn't go too dark. Although to be honest, I would have loved a really dark spiderman movie. :) The action scenes were impressive enough, and elicited more than one "Oooooooh!" with the thought: "That's gotta hurt!".

Venom is only 20 years old his is more of a modern fanboy villian to me. If this movie makes enough there will be sequel.

They made $148 million this weekend, $28 from international premieres. So yeah I think there will be a sequel, but what is it I keep hearing that this was supposed to be the last one?

I liked it too.

While I do agree it should have been darker, you have to keep in mind the huge kiddie crowd that it was being aimed at as well as long time fans. They couldn't go too dark. Although to be honest, I would have loved a really dark spiderman movie. :) The action scenes were impressive enough, and elicited more than one "Oooooooh!" with the thought: "That's gotta hurt!".

It kicked @$$ thats all I'm going to say.

But what really ticked me off is seeing Ebert & Roeper criticizing it. They kept commenting that it had so little action scenes and that it had drama, what the hell is wrong with that? And the other critic replacing Ebert(Ebert correct?) was a girl and it was like she was agreeing with the Roper on every damn movie, what the hell is up with that? Critics really piss me off these days when they don't make any sense... <_<

but what is it I keep hearing that this was supposed to be the last one?

This is the last film that the stars are signed to via contract. They've all said that they'll come back for #4, but only if Sam Raimi directs. Sony Pictures, on the other hand, has openly stated that there will be more Spider-Man films... with or without the principles.

But what really ticked me off is seeing Ebert & Roeper criticizing it. They kept commenting that it had so little action scenes and that it had drama, what the hell is wrong with that? And the other critic replacing Ebert(Ebert correct?) was a girl and it was like she was agreeing with the Roper on every damn movie, what the hell is up with that? Critics really piss me off these days when they don't make any sense... <_<

Critics piss me off because they're paid to offer their opinions, but seldom have little to no actual experience with doing it themselves. How many movies has Ebert directed or starred in? Roeper? And yet all they do is sit back and hurl critiques without actually having to do better themselves.

Was just reading over at Entertainment Weekly about how much mulla this movie made over the weekend and they pulled a surprise on me. It seems, in order to cover the budget and the advertising, this movie must make at least 800 million worldwide to break even. They then go on saying that this may not be a sure thing, even with the huge weekend box office take.

Spiderman 3 Article

Edited by The Shade

I liked it. Not as much as #2 though. Action scenes were awesome and well done. Emo Parker was funny. For the most part the rest of cast was great.

A few problems I had with this movie:

Way too much crying lol. More than the other two movies combined. It seemed like every other scene someone was balling their eyes out. Crying doesn't always equal drama. And why couldn't the butler have said something sooner? That would have save some tears.

Also having to hear Dunst sing twice was quite painful....

I guess they did the best they could with the origin symbiote. It would have taken another movie to explain its true origin. The villains really weren't all that threatening. Venom or Sandman should have had more depth/screen time. That might have helped.

They'll probably make a 4th movie. With all the money this movie made they'd be fools not too. Next villains: Lizard man and Electro.

I really liked the movie. Probably my least favorite of the three, but that in no way means it was bad. The first two were completely awesome and very hard acts to follow. I thought the action was incredible, but the weeping and out of character sotrylines were annoying. they really threw away a lot of good material in this film. They wasted Gwen Stacey, Eddie Brick/Venom/Symbiote Suit and even Harry and the Sandman suffered because time was wasted with the others.

I thought the Sandman was great, but there was no need to make him Ben's killer. His desperation to do bad things to help his daughter should have been enough. I would have liked to see Spidey dealing with the suit for about the whole movie. First finding it/getting used to it, exploring it's powers/being affected by it, then figuring out the problem and getting rid of it. Then they should have shown it finding Eddie Brock at the end and that would have set up a great fourth film. I also wish it would have had the white spider on it instead of so subdued. Gwen Stacey was a total waste. I actually liked Harry in this movie, but I could have taken a break from the Green Goblin for once.

MJ acted like a batty and a whore, but at least she came back around to Peter in the end. The dancing scene was stupid, but whatever, Peter was being a butthole. The thing that ticked me off big-time about the movie though was when Peter hit MJ. That I think should never have happened. No matter how big of a jerk he was turning into, His love for MJ should have been just under the surface and should have stopped him from that.

I liked it. It ends on a good note. I would like to see them take some time off before doing any more though.

But that's not to say it wasn't without it's faults. I do feel it was too much and that Venom and the symbiote didn't get enough screen-time. They could have stretched it to 2 movies. I didn't feel much for Sandman as with Doc Oc in the last movie. This is probably due to the lack of screen time for the villains and secondary characters. Gwen was underused.

If there is an extended cut of this, they should put that one out. Walking out, I felt the story only touched the surface of what was needed.

I think Venom can be revived, maybe there is still a sample in Dr. Connor's lab.

or would it be Carnage? Unless the sample is used somehow to turn Dr. Connor into the Lizard-man? :unsure:

I guess 3 more films are on the way

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/artic...0movies_1030158

Webbed superhero SPIDER-MAN will appear in at least three more movies, Sony Pictures have confirmed. The studio's chief executive Michael Lynton said after the box office success of the latest release Spider-Man 3, there is a huge audience waiting to see the story continue. Lynton tells BBC News, "Everybody has every intention of making a fourth, a fifth and a sixth and on and on. "(We'll make) as many as we can make good stories for."
Edited by dejr8bud

George Lucas: Spider-man 3 "Silly".

You know what they say about throwing stones in glass houses, George! :D

Well, ol'George is just pissed because ILM didn't do the special effects. After all, it isn't good when there is competition. I suppose he could've criticized Lord of the Rings too: "I could see it now... well, Tolkein's story wasn't that good to start with, but that Jackson just ruined the whole thing." Now, that would've been bombast.

More Star Wars? George, get a clue, that ship sailed 20 years ago. Just like Indiana Jones ship sailed 15 years ago... Wait... that was more Spielberg. Stop grasping at straws and go do something new.

But the three more movies will be interesting, Spiderman certainly has a lot of villians to go through, I hope no Carnage, no more symbiote though. I'm not too happy they killed off Osborn though.

Edited by kalvasflam

Oh joy more Ewoks movies... Give us a break George how about something people will actually want to watch, like oh I don't know maybe a Rogue Squadron movie, or something like that...

This is the last film that the stars are signed to via contract. They've all said that they'll come back for #4, but only if Sam Raimi directs. Sony Pictures, on the other hand, has openly stated that there will be more Spider-Man films... with or without the principles.

Critics piss me off because they're paid to offer their opinions, but seldom have little to no actual experience with doing it themselves. How many movies has Ebert directed or starred in? Roeper? And yet all they do is sit back and hurl critiques without actually having to do better themselves.

so... you have no opinions on the car you drive, right? because you couldn't design and make one yourself, you have no right to judge if say a kia is better than a BMW, right? Or if you go to a resturant and order a meal, you don't have any opinions on the taste or quality, since you're not a professional chef?

Once someone puts something out there to be consumed and asks MONEY for it, we as the CONSUMER have every right to critique and judge for ourselves, whether we like it or not. What gives us this right, because we're putting out hard earned money down.

And the reason people like Ebert get paid to offer their opinions? Because other people *gasp* like and even respect what they have to say. Maybe you don't, that's fine. Let's see you do better. :p

I liked it as well, but it fell apart at the very end. After Venoms defeat the film just screamed to a splattering halt. The scenes with Sandman, while not a bad moment, was poorly placed. Harrys death and funeral were great, but we needed a bigger moment following that to end on. In just ended so flatly that when the credits started it took me a couple of seconds to realise it was over!

Overall i liked it though.

so... you have no opinions on the car you drive, right? because you couldn't design and make one yourself, you have no right to judge if say a kia is better than a BMW, right? Or if you go to a resturant and order a meal, you don't have any opinions on the taste or quality, since you're not a professional chef?

Once someone puts something out there to be consumed and asks MONEY for it, we as the CONSUMER have every right to critique and judge for ourselves, whether we like it or not. What gives us this right, because we're putting out hard earned money down.

And the reason people like Ebert get paid to offer their opinions? Because other people *gasp* like and even respect what they have to say. Maybe you don't, that's fine. Let's see you do better. :p

Finally! Someone giving the real reason we have critics. No offence to those who don't like critics, but I've been burned too many times by friends and colleagues who've said that this particular movie rocks, or that movie is "da bomb", while at the same time most critics thought it sucks. Usually, though not always, the critics were right. (The not always right is a very low percentage, ie <5%)

As for Spiderman 3, if you check out Rotten Tomatoes review compilation for SM3, you find only a 61% approval rating from 200 reviews. From that many people, you can really get a feel for the movie. Most reviews seem to be SM3 just not only holding up to SM2, but weird subplots, and the film being too long by about 15-20 minutes. Exactly the complaints that people who liked it here had, but the critics were more bothered by.

BTW, on an unrelated note, kind of, I've been following the reviews for 28 Weeks Later. Early this week, the early reviews were very negative. As the week's gone by, and more reviews have appeared, the film's ratings have really shot up. Currently, at 58 ratings, the film has a 71% rating. Since the critics seem to like it, does that mean it sucks? ;)

I liked it as well, but it fell apart at the very end. After Venoms defeat the film just screamed to a splattering halt. The scenes with Sandman, while not a bad moment, was poorly placed. Harrys death and funeral were great, but we needed a bigger moment following that to end on. In just ended so flatly that when the credits started it took me a couple of seconds to realise it was over!

Overall i liked it though.

Some sort of spoiler warning would have been nice here...

That's why I never read the thread about a movie that I want to see until I've seen the movie. :p Then again you get spoiled in some of the places you'd least expect it, like in a thread about Star Wars being spoiled about who dies in X-men 3. Yeah, that really got me mad.

Then again you get spoiled in some of the places you'd least expect it, like in a thread about Star Wars being spoiled about who dies in X-men 3.

Considering they screwed the pooch on so many things in X3, isn't it safe to say you weren't necessarily "spoiled" in a bad way?

i saw spider-man 3 today and i have to say it's horrible. i thought having harry and sandman would be enough villians in the movie, but the studio decided to add venom in the end and that totally made the movie way too long, boring and basically suck. i dont know if there will be a spider-man 4, but i think spider-man 3 pretty much lost my interest in any future films. :wacko:

i saw spider-man 3 today and i have to say it's horrible. i thought having harry and sandman would be enough villians in the movie, but the studio decided to add venom in the end and that totally made the movie way too long, boring and basically suck. i dont know if there will be a spider-man 4, but i think spider-man 3 pretty much lost my interest in any future films. :wacko:

You're totally right, however I would've thought that the point in the movie where everyone got lost was when the "New Goblin" debuted. A guy on a flying snowboard? I almost ran out of the theater...

A guy on a flying snowboard? I almost ran out of the theater...

The goblin on a flying snowboard? Ridiculous? Surely you jest, it is a great concept otherwise the great Shoji Kawamori himself is set up to do the animated spin-off sequel of Mr. Goblin X-Treme himself as the ancestor of the mecha Eureka Seven "robot on a flying snowboard" anime.

post-1065-1179665022_thumb.jpg

Saw the movie last night, overall I really liked it but IMO there was no need for Sandman, I don`t think he was necessary, Venom would have been enough. The only thing that got me interest was Gwen Stacy in her black dress :wub:

Gwen was played by a stereotypical blonde. Not that hot.

I for one enjoyed Venom being there, but I laughed at the fact that the character had trouble keeping his new teeth in. :lol:

Gwen was played by a stereotypical blonde. Not that hot.

I for one enjoyed Venom being there, but I laughed at the fact that the character had trouble keeping his new teeth in. :lol:

Gwen's actress is actually a redhead. :lol:

A little late, but finally saw it this past weekend. Not sure why critics in general give it a pretty low score, wondering if they are expecting way too much, or just try to critical.

I like it overall, with lots of exciting moments. Don't feel like there is too much villains, plot too scattered, or inferior to the previous movies. Things flow pretty well I think. Just wish Venom was more developed and had more screen time, as I thought he was pretty iconic among the Spider-man Villains. Didn't know a lot of Spiderman's comic background, so didn't know Gwen Stacy was meant to be an important female character until now, after reading some posts. If thats the case, then they should have cast her better. While the actress is not bad, she just look like a very generic blonde character that doesn't stand out or being very pretty. Hopefully there will be a Spider-man 4 (heard Raimi agreed to do another one, and it will have Lizard man & Carnage, but not sure if Tobey will be back for another ride), as I would love to see Carnage and find out more about this character.

i think had sam raimi just focus on harry and venom and totally ignore sandman, spider-man 3 could have been a good movie. they have to include harry based on the second spider-man. there's no way around it. or maybe the movie should have just focus on harry and peter and save venom for the fourth movie? i think that would have been a better story just to have spider vs harry. i didnt see the need to add sandman in the third one. i didnt think he was necessary at all. venom was not given enough screen time at all. they wasted it on sandman. lately i have been noticing that it's getting harder and harder to find a good movie to watch. i hope bourne ultimatum will be good or else i will probably stop watching a movie in the theater for the rest of the year.

I haven't commented on it, but I really enjoyed SM3, too.

I'm more annoyed that they keep doing a Batman and killing off the villains more than anything, but that has applied to all 3 movies now. Green Goblin SHOULD have lasted at least through 2 before killing him and paving the way for Harry to be the villain (kinda) in 3. I would have preferred Doc Oc to have either had him go entirely comatose or have his tentacles incapped or been able to take enough control instead of suiciding. Maybe to return in a relapse in 4 or something. Venom should have been driven off rather than killed in 3.

Harry's equipment and gear should have been a bit more inspired by original Goblin than Xtreme sport inspired paintball mask and snowboard, but that's more of a nitpick since the plot worked rather well. I don't think the amnesia bit was really needed but was nice to see Pete & Harry's friendship (though that could have been shown more in Spidey 2 if they hadn't killed off Crazy DaFoe in 1). :D

Edited by Uxi