Spider-man 3 Thread

I finally got to watch the trailer last night. And I thought the sucker was awesome.

Before, I wasn't all that that psyched for Spider-Man 3. But this trailer has me looking forward to Summer 2007. Maybe it's just me, but the trailer's taglines really whet my creative curiousity. What if being around all that crime and evil does wear Peter down? What kind of effect would it have on Peter's personality? What if the symbiote is just a reflection of something within Parker himself?

As long as they keep most of the focus on Peter Parker and not the handful of villians rumored to be in this one, it should be an interesting sequel.

Okay, so we've got Green Goblin [iI?], Sandman, and more than likely Venom? Well, this doesn't bode well for the not-going-to-suck-balls-and-be-a-total-let-down-to-the-series factor. Trying to cram so many baddies into a single picture will likely lead to rushed or incomplete-feeling story pacing, weakened character development, and degrade into a blow-em-up flash and fight fest. And oh yeah--Spidey's "new" black outfit sucks, compared to the comic version. It looks like he just put the old suit in the washing machine and added black dye. <_<

Different trailer here.

413168[/snapback]

Fake. There's several shots that I recognize from the first two movies, and I've only seen each of them once. That "money shot" of Sandman is just a manipulation of the first promo shot of Thomas Haden Church that was released last year. It's a clever fake, but a fake nonetheless.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice poster.

Just rewatched the trailer. I think I agree with those who said it's not going to be a large number of villains in the movie. Some of them might not even take a very big role if at all. Perhaps Sandman only appears in a few scenes. Perhaps Spider-man defeats him during a bank robbery at the beginning, only to escape from prison with Hobgoblin's (no doubt Harry Osborn played by James Franco) help later in the film. There's just bits a pieces of Hobgoblin in the trailer. Venom doesn't even seem to appear. It's just the alien costume and Eddie Brock (played by Topher Grace) shows in a few frames. He might become Venom only at the end of the movie, once Parker removes the alien costume.

Anyway, lots of questions, but the trailer looks great.

*edited cause I finally saw some hobby in there :)*

Edited by Mr March

Different trailer here.

413168[/snapback]

Fake. There's several shots that I recognize from the first two movies, and I've only seen each of them once. That "money shot" of Sandman is just a manipulation of the first promo shot of Thomas Haden Church that was released last year. It's a clever fake, but a fake nonetheless.

413229[/snapback]

Yup. Definitely fake.

That's the one that came out a few months ago. I see bits of The Mummy, Spawn, and a few more action movies spliced in there.

Question regarding Spiderman.

I've never read the comic before (believe it or not), so I am totally clueless about the entire spiderman stories.

Why does His suit changed from Red to Black? Was he bitten by Venom?

Explanation will be very helpful. Thanks :)

I've never read the comic before (believe it or not), so I am totally clueless about the entire spiderman stories.

Explanation will be very helpful. Thanks  :)

416275[/snapback]

the black suit is a living symbiote thingy...spidey picks it up in space, it bonds with him, starts trying to take home over...eventually he splits from it, it joins with eddie brock over their mutual hatred of spidey, and venom is born.

haven't read the comics in 10 years or so, but i think that's the gist of it.

Explanation will be very helpful. Thanks  :)

416275[/snapback]

You mean, why does his suit change color in the movie? Or why does his suit change color in the comics?

In the film, I have no idea in which way they will choose to handle the suit, but it'll more than likely be quite different from the comic book story. And thank gawd, since the continuity of the suit in the comics is a nightmare!

In the comic books, the history of the suit goes all the way back to a big cross-over story in the 80's called Secret Wars. Spider-man is on some other planet battling super villians and picks up this new "costume" to replace his battle worn original. Upon returning to Earth, Parker finds out the costume is actually a living creature, a symbiote. A bunch of stuff happens after that, but eventually the costume leaves Parker, finds Eddie Brock, and thus Venom is born.

The Ultimate Spiderman telling of the Venom Origin is actually much better. In that story, Peter and Eddie had known each other since childhood, but had not seen each other since the death of Peter's parents. The costume was the effort of eddies and peters fathers to produce a suit to replace the Super Soldier serum and to provide a cure for cancer. unfortunately, when peter tries it on, it becomes self aware and turns peter violent. Peter destroys one costume and eddie uses leftovers of that orginal to make another one. Eddie blames peter for stealing his birthright and thats where the motivation comes from. I know that retelling may have sucked, but Bendis did it right in the books. Check it out.

Bendis tells a great tale but I hate the whole "we have history together" stuff. I like the idea of fantastic random events that bring all these people together. I also cant stand it when the story revolves too much around family and friends, the whole point of a secret identity is too keep them out of harms way. Thats why I dont watch Smallville anymore... with Lois, Jimmy, and Perry White coming to Metropolis, why would Clark need to go to Metropolis?

yeah, Bendis has opened up the secret identity thing quite a bit, with Mary Jane, the deceased Gwen Stacy, SHIELD, The X-Men (hes currently dating Kitty Pride), and several of his enemies (Venom, Green Goblin, Carnage, etc.) know also. he still does an excellent job of showing Peter having to juggle the costume life and the normal life. Ultimate Spiderman took a bit of a dip there, but its still one of the best books out there.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well that looks really cool! I liked the suit, Sandman looks great, and it looks like Hobgoblin is in there. Not sure why the trailer implies that the killer of Parker's uncle is still around, especially since the first film definitely established that the guy was killed. Regardless, I'm very interested.