Your most recent Macross or toy purchase! General thread.

Gakken85

18 hours ago, Kuma Style said:

10-158.png

Is that a valkyrie I don't recognize? Or a destroid?

On a separate note... Happy Memorial Day everyone!

Errr.... wait... memorial means commemorating those who died, so.... Solemn Condolences Memorial Day everyone!

P.S.

Does anyone have any recommendations on gloves one can buy from Amazon to wear while handling valkyries? I don't want to get any make-up, perfume, or moisturizer residue on my toys, but don't want to get any of that weird powder that is on latex gloves on them either.

6 hours ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

Is that a valkyrie I don't recognize? Or a destroid?

It's the ARX-7 Arbalest from Full Metal Panic.

6 hours ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

P.S.

Does anyone have any recommendations on gloves one can buy from Amazon to wear while handling valkyries? I don't want to get any make-up, perfume, or moisturizer residue on my toys, but don't want to get any of that weird powder that is on latex gloves on them either.

Try "powder free" nitrile gloves. I use them at work to handle optical elements, so they won't leave any residue whatsoever. Also less"sticky" than latex, easier to put on and take off.

8 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

It's the ARX-7 Arbalest from Full Metal Panic.

Try "powder free" nitrile gloves. I use them at work to handle optical elements, so they won't leave any residue whatsoever. Also less"sticky" than latex, easier to put on and take off.

Thank you very much, @Sanity is Optional

Also, welcome back MWF.... you were down for quite a few hours there.

15 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

It's the ARX-7 Arbalest from Full Metal Panic.Try "powder free" nitrile gloves. I use them at work to handle optical elements, so they won't leave any residue whatsoever. Also less"sticky" than latex, easier to put on and take off.

So, I am looking on Amazon for nitrile gloves, and I see most of them looking like this....

heaven2017 5 Pairs Disposable Blue Latex Nitrile Gloves Powder Free Medical Dental Use Gloves size Large

... and now I am saying to myself "2 by 2, hands of blue" over and over again. *sigh* I wish there was more Firefly.

I just use nitrile for everything, much less expensive ($10 for 100, $15 for 200), though your hands may start sweating after a while. Also I do some model building, and I want something that'll block paint rather than absorb it.

The ones at my work are black, we get them from McMaster Carr.

Edited by Sanity is Optional

51 minutes ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

So, I am looking on Amazon for nitrile gloves, and I see most of them looking like this....

heaven2017 5 Pairs Disposable Blue Latex Nitrile Gloves Powder Free Medical Dental Use Gloves size Large

... and now I am saying to myself "2 by 2, hands of blue" over and over again. *sigh* I wish there was more Firefly.

Seems like a perfect show for a Netflix or Amazon reboot... There is always hope.

38 minutes ago, jenius said:

Do you think cotton gloves would be safer for handling valkyries than nitrile?

I worry about not ruining the toys' paint jobs, as well as having a good enough grip to be able to handle the toys without dropping them easily. Also, being able to handle the small bits, like engine intake covers, pilots, etc without losing my grip.

56 minutes ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

I worry about not ruining the toys' paint jobs, as well as having a good enough grip to be able to handle the toys without dropping them easily. Also, being able to handle the small bits, like engine intake covers, pilots, etc without losing my grip.

I use cotton gloves when I am handling the Valkyries for photoshoots. They have a good amount grip when handling the figures, they are especially helpful because I use them to wipe away dust on photography base or on the figure. The one draw back is that the cotton gloves are not very helpful when trying to open panels on the figure.

I might have to give the nitrile gloves a try.

Edited by Saburo

8 hours ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

as a medical professional I am intimately familiar with nitrile gloves... [the ones I use are all by Ansell for reference sake]

If dexterity and touch-sensation are super important to you: you can find ones that say "phlebotomy" or "medical examination", the texture is completely different, and they are very soft [they also tend to be sexy purple]. they also fit a little tighter; going a size-down from your actual hand-size turns them into compression gloves.... and if you get "exam" gloves make sure your hands are 101% dry before you try to put them on...

the blue ones are fine, but just a little thicker [microns of difference, but you CAN feel it] and more krinkely... but depending on your nail situation the blue ones may be better [tougher/thicker fingertips] as the thinner ones are more delicate.

I have no experience with black nitrile... judging by what's on them for info they'll be about the same as the blue kind... perhaps tougher/made for longer use?

as long as they say food-grade they shouldn't be any worry.

BTW: don't use nitrile for acetone or acetate... you'll end up with no glove very quickly.

1 hour ago, slide said:

I have no experience with black nitrile... judging by what's on them for info they'll be about the same as the blue kind... perhaps tougher/made for longer use?

as long as they say food-grade they shouldn't be any worry.

I used the black nitrile gloves at the Catering Company I used to do prep/cooking for. The black glove is a bit thicker, lasts longer than the blue version and better for handling warm items. The blue is thinner and can tear easily. As slide said, make sure your hands are super dry before using these gloves or it's a @#^&$%!! to get them on. 

Not saying gloves are not a good idea but I've never used gloves and all my toys since childhood are still going strong. I think I'm amoung some of the most obsessive when it comes to collecting but I personally feel using gloves is going over a line where these are no longer considered toys. 

4 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Not saying gloves are not a good idea but I've never used gloves and all my toys since childhood are still going strong. I think I'm amoung some of the most obsessive when it comes to collecting but I personally feel using gloves is going over a line where these are no longer considered toys. 

Every time I want to touch my Macross toys, I have made it a habit of going to the bathroom first to wash up, for fear of getting any residual make-up or lotion onto my valkyries. I have also not worn nail polish in about 2 months, as I use my nails to open up landing gear doors. I have also chipped a nail trying to get the landing gear down on my 1/60 VF-1 toys.

So, gloves that let me handle my toys safely, and allow me to open up and retract landing gear would be nice.

2 minutes ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

Every time I want to touch my Macross toys, I have made it a habit of going to the bathroom first to wash up, for fear of getting any residual make-up or lotion onto my valkyries. I have also not worn nail polish in about 2 months, as I use my nails to open up landing gear doors. I have also chipped a nail trying to get the landing gear down on my 1/60 VF-1 toys.

So, gloves that let me handle my toys safely, and allow me to open up and retract landing gear would be nice.

I always wash my hands too haha

The plastic toothpick from a Swiss Army knife opens up landing gear and other assorted compartments nicely. 

I have actually worked with Blue Nitrile (during my gearhead days) and now Food Safety Gloves in my Property management related field (haven't used cotton ones yet).

The blue ones are most common to rip as @505thAirborne mentioned and is the mostly used in todays daily usage. Might pick up the cotton ones and try them on.

27 minutes ago, spacemanoeuvres said:

I always wash my hands too haha

The plastic toothpick from a Swiss Army knife opens up landing gear and other assorted compartments nicely. 

You can also get a set of spudgers from Amazon for this usage as well. :)

Maybe I'm in the minority' here but I considered using cotton gloves back when Bandai started packing them in their premium Chogokin releases and I thought oh that's smart. But then I decided that life is short and we don't know how long we're going to be here and get to enjoy our things. I enjoy handling my collectibles. With all of my senses.  Clean hands yes, gloves no. I like the actual tactile sensation I get from feeling the cold hard glossy paint on my SOC as I pick it up. Gloves just take away from that. It's like wearing a condom to have sex with your Wife when she's on birth control. That said I always wash my hands before either of those things. Lol

Edited by SuperDimensionalDave

1 hour ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

I guess it makes more sense in that case and I'm lucky I don't use makeup or nail polish to worry about it. But I know for sure I've handled most my toys since childhood after being out in the dirt and yeah, they are still fine. Again, totally get it and it's not a bad idea...just too much for me to worry about. I usually wash my hands before I touch the more expensive/delicate toys but I don't obsess over it. I have a box of surgical gloves too but I use them to prevent my hands from getting dirty when I'm doing some sort of craftwork. 

25 minutes ago, SuperDimensionalDave said:

Maybe I'm in the minority' here but I considered using cotton gloves back when Bandai started packing them in their premium Chogokin releases and I thought oh that's smart. But then I decided that life is short and we don't know how long we're going to be here and get to enjoy our things. I enjoy handling my collectibles. With all of my senses.  Clean hands yes, gloves no. I like the actual tactile sensation I get from feeling the cold hard glossy paint on my SOC as I pick it up. Gloves just take away from that. It's like wearing a condom to have sex with your Wife when she's on birth control. That said I always wash my hands before either of those things. Lol

Exactly!

what @no3Ljm just said too!

Edited by Slave IV

I use the white gloves from Yamato, plus they also included in their instructions to wear the Yamato helmet while handling all Valks. Also have a handy toothpick next to you. 

For more greasy stuff the like VF19 Valks that came with some residue I just wipe them down and use regular gloves. 

Never really cares before but it became a habit when entering the Macross room dealing with hazardous and pointy objects. Plus it sounds cool to tell someone: hey, hey you have to wear gloves before you enter, gives them a quick pause to say, oh crap what kind of bodily fluids must be laying around in this containment unit with a Macross Poster on the door. 

8 minutes ago, Kicker773 said:

I use the white gloves from Yamato, plus they also included in their instructions to wear the Yamato helmet while handling all Valks. Also have a handy toothpick next to you. 

For more greasy stuff the like VF19 Valks that came with some residue I just wipe them down and use regular gloves. 

Never really cares before but it became a habit when entering the Macross room dealing with hazardous and pointy objects. Plus it sounds cool to tell someone: hey, hey you have to wear gloves before you enter, gives them a quick pause to say, oh crap what kind of bodily fluids must be laying around in this containment unit with a Macross Poster on the door. 

:lol:

working all day with gloves [and the handwashing habit you develop in medicine], I usually just wash my hands to handle my growing [:ph34r:] collection, for fear of greasy nerd-finger-related consequences

I only use gloves for model building or grody housework...

washing your hands before any valk touching works best for me. 

It's one of my old habbit from the NES days.  Wash my hands before touching the controller, make my friends do the same unless they bring their own controller. 

I try the glove thing and it just does't feel right.  not to mention it can also scratch your toys if a speck of sand somehow gets on your gloves.

yes I always make sure I clean my hands while handling valks.

I wipe my hands on my shirt before swooshing or transformations and never handle my valks without a shirt on.

Edited by seti88

On 5/23/2018 at 2:23 AM, no3Ljm said:

Actually, I was just convincing myself that I don't need to replace my old Mark 6 with the recent Diecast release. Same goes with my War Machine. :rolleyes:

I had the same dilemma. But a local shop was clearing the diecast war machine at $130 so I got it and now the mark 6 as companion piece.

1 hour ago, Focslain said:

Not so much a toy purchase as a purchase for my toys. Got a pair of Detolf display cabinets so i can start collecting more Macross and Gundam.

20180528_103619-756x1008.jpg.00c576f0bf897973e9e633ddcb51e6bb.jpg

Nice job; love the BSG ships :)