Your most recent Macross or toy purchase! General thread.

Gakken85

35 minutes ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

Oh yeah... my HMR Hikaru VF-1A arrived today. I could not get the leg armor parts to attach initially. Realized it was due to them having attached the back plate to the side leg armor piece in reverse. So I removed, swapped, reversed, and re-attached the back plate for both legs. Kind of surprised how Bandai is doing some sloppy work with this release.

You're the fourth (or fifth?) person that has mentioned the HMR VF-1a Supers.. :mellow:  

57 minutes ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

YAY!  I found a faculty member willing to sponsor my proposed dissertation research topic idea!  So excited... I might actually be able to graduate in 2 years!

To celebrate... I kind of ordered a Yamato 1/60 VF-11B.

See... it was not a frivolous purchase... it was a one=time, celebratory purchase. I had a justifiable excuse... really! Why doesn't anyone believe me?!

Oh yeah... my HMR Hikaru VF-1A arrived today. I could not get the leg armor parts to attach initially. Realized it was due to them having attached the back plate to the side leg armor piece in reverse. So I removed, swapped, reversed, and re-attached the back plate for both legs. Kind of surprised how Bandai is doing some sloppy work with this release.

image.png.d84096297051c2d91c2480d8896e13e5.png

Also... for some reason, when I look at my HMRs, I feel a bit Jewish. It's like a minora made of Valkyries and Tamashii stands.

Wow you are on a roll girl. For me, im just hopping arcadia reissues these and hopefully with fixes and tampo printing or bandai could up the game with by releasing their own vers

Just received an order from Mandarake (YF-29 Ozma), and found out that the valk is missing one of the intake covers (it was supposed to be unused, but opened, with no mention of any missing parts). I have another used YF-29 coming that I think can provide the spare cover if I need, but am still cheesed off about getting a flawed item. 

Has anyone had any similar issues with Mandarake in the past and were you able to get to a resolution with them?  I'd love to know.  Thanks!

That’s a shame, I’ve never had an issue with missing/damaged pieces from mandarake. Though I’m not sure that I’ve bought anything that was opened. I try to stick to the “not opened, package damaged” items. 

Unfortunately they’re items are sold “as is”. You may want to contact them anyway. Maybe they will make an accommodation. 

6 minutes ago, spacemanoeuvres said:

That’s a shame, I’ve never had an issue with missing/damaged pieces from mandarake. Though I’m not sure that I’ve bought anything that was opened. I try to stick to the “not opened, package damaged” items. 

Unfortunately they’re items are sold “as is”. You may want to contact them anyway. Maybe they will make an accommodation. 

Yeah there's always going to be a small risk that this might happen with "opened box" purchases.  I wrote back with the hope that they might address the issue, but I won't be surprised if they stick with the "as is" clause anyway.  Hoping that they'll recognize this and give me some "goodwill" considering the amount of purchases I've made over the last few weeks...:(

On 5/17/2018 at 2:56 PM, CrossAir said:

Thanks for the suggestion but I think I gonna take the hard way and watch the entire show. After five episodes I'm still in ^_^

23 hours ago, pafy6285 said:

I don't think we'll be done with 00 yet. There's a planned sequel announced for 00 though no specific details yet (like if it will be movie, ova, or series).

Don't get me wrong. I love the 00 series -- the series and not a big fan of the movie. But I'm a big fan of the mechas featured in the movie. ;) 

22 hours ago, rdrunner said:

Seconded - the movie was a bit of a let down. The mech designs were ok. 

Agreed. ;)

Valkyrie Factory, actually. Look ‘em up. They sell knockoffs of old Yamato bits and pieces like those transparent Super part covers. They may have Arcadia VF-1 copies too, can’t remember. Quality is... ok, I guess? 

1 minute ago, Sildani said:

Valkyrie Factory, actually. Look ‘em up. They sell knockoffs of old Yamato bits and pieces like those transparent Super part covers. They may have Arcadia VF-1 copies too, can’t remember. Quality is... ok, I guess? 

Thanks, yes that’s right. It’s the KO version of the super strike parts set that someone had talked about in the other thread. The only difference is that mine came with the clear parts. Quality is ok but this is really meant to be an extra set for my VF-1A and I won’t feel bad about putting the Kite logo on the boosters. 

FWIW these aren’t that cheap compared to the super parts set in the market if you have the patience to wait for the right price. I was merely curious about the quality of these and wanted them for the clear parts. 

1 hour ago, borgified said:

@rdrunner: I'm thinking that Manda would give a discount on your next purchase specifically for that location only.

Thanks @borgified, that would be a good outcome, but I guess we’ll see. It won’t be long before I buy something from them again I’m sure. Ordered a set of Alto super parts from them but they were out of stock... :(

Just grabbed this from eBay - it was 40 miles away from me the whole time!

I'm very pleased - I like the design and the transformation. I finally have a use for the Nightmare Plus Super parts I bought months ago too!

One of the few Valkyries a certain Feline doesn’t own yet too.

I like it a lot. Off to get a Yetistand adapter for it though since the one that comes with it is a bulky eyesore. 

9A6E3645-7A35-4189-A4A4-31039240F5BC.jpeg

Edited by Sildani

11 minutes ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

Why in the world is the men's version cheaper, when the women's version uses less material? Where is the logic in that?

image.png.4f28a0b6ec958e3d3bcafaa2b735626d.png

Women value clothing more than men and are used to paying more for it?

7 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Women value clothing more than men and are used to paying more for it?

I am sure there are some men out there that value clothing as much as women.... somewhere...

(*looks at boyfriend's wardrobe*)

I am almost sure there are some men out there that value clothing as much as women... somewhere else....

But seriously, from a materials and production cost prospective, I don't like that we get the short end of the stick when it comes to clothing prices.

11 minutes ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

I am sure there are some men out there that value clothing as much as women.... somewhere...

I am almost sure there are some men out there that value clothing as much as women... somewhere else....

But seriously, from a materials and production cost prospective, I don't like that we get the short end of the stick when it comes to clothing prices.

Neither do I. (*looks at wife's wardrobe*) :p

15 minutes ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

As long there are so many women out there addicted to clothing and willing to pay those higher prices there will never be a change (looking at wife's wardrobe, too) -_-

One nice thing about being a grad student... I can get away with owning mostly jeans, shorts, t-shirts, and blouses. I have a few nice, expensive outfits for evenings out or formal events, like doing research presentations and attending IEEE conferences. But, for the most part, I prefer wearing something comfortable, like kigarumi cat costumes when I am at home, and jeans and an MIT shirt when I am on campus.

*cough* Though I may have just the slightest of addictions when it comes to shoes.... and jewelry..... and valkyries. *cough*

Also...

Is it weird to own 6 different pairs of glasses? I find it strange that my boyfriend only has 1 pair. And he thinks me having 6 pairs is a bit excessive. I argue that I need that many pairs so that I can match them with what I am wearing. Everyone does that, right?

Edited by Shizuka the Cat

22 minutes ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

Also...

Is it weird to own 6 different pairs of glasses? I find it strange that my boyfriend only has 1 pair. And he thinks me having 6 pairs is a bit excessive. I argue that I need that many pairs so that I can match them with what I am wearing. Everyone does that, right?

Not me. I only have two pair. A sunglasses and a prescription one. Though I do have 6 pairs of wrist watches to match what I am wearing for certain occassions. ;) 

1 minute ago, Slave IV said:

Sunglasses? I have two pairs and I only got the 2nd pair because the other one is 10 years old and scratched up. They are both black. 

I was actually meaning eyeglasses, not sunglasses. If we count sunglasses, then I have 9 pairs of glasses.

6 hours ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

There’s a guy in Macross Delta you’d have a world in common with. 

I've been wearing the same pair of frames for about 3 years now? I swap it out with a new frame every 5 years or so.

A good pair of frames isn't cheap, and I tend to get thin wire oval frames that don't really go with or against outfits.

I have three pairs of reading glasses from CVS.  One to read with, another to read with when I forget where I put the first one, and another at the office when I forget to bring the first two.  That way I can be sure that I'm never without my reading glasses and I always make the most of my income to splurge on the things that matter.  Valkyries.

30 minutes ago, MacrossMania said:

I have three pairs of reading glasses from CVS.  One to read with, another to read with when I forget where I put the first one, and another at the office when I forget to bring the first two.  That way I can be sure that I'm never without my reading glasses and I always make the most of my income to splurge on the things that matter.  Valkyries.

Most of my eyeglasses were under $40 each. I order from GlassesUSA.com. They have a decent selection of cute frames.