1j w.jpg

1j Side.jpg

1j L.jpg

1j G.jpg

1J F S.jpg

1j back.jpg

Hmm.

Looking a bit more at it...

Why does this ThreeZero seems like its got Popeye Forearms?

Is this some kind of Robotech-isms to balanced out the rather oversized hips/intakes on the KC?

1 hour ago, treatment said:

Hmm.

Looking a bit more at it...

Why does this ThreeZero seems like its got Popeye Forearms?

Is this some kind of Robotech-isms to balanced out the rather oversized hips/intakes on the KC?

I would assume they're trying to emulate the, frankly massive, forearms that the Vf-1 had in art like this.

SmartSelect_20230709_190744_Chrome.jpg

36 minutes ago, DownIsUp said:

I would assume they're trying to emulate the, frankly massive, forearms that the Vf-1 had in art like this.

SmartSelect_20230709_190744_Chrome.jpg

A case of engineers who don't understand what fore-shortening is?  The firearm is large there because of its angle closer to the viewer versus the rest of the body.

The arms don’t bug me at all. If I were to nitpick this I think the head sculpt could use some work and the chest is too bulky. The back pack doesn’t sit at a great angle. The chest thing is bulky because of the transformation gimmicks they are using though, same with the backpack. But I do think the head could look a little better 

I appreciate a beefier take on battroid but I gotta imagine people here are going to be howling when we see good fighter mode shots... Most modern toys prioritize fighter mode resulting in a more svelte battroid but it looks like three zero is prioritizing battroid which means fighter is going to look thick.

So far I'm really liking what I'm seeing. Call me crazy, but I even like the liberties taken with the head sculpt even if it doesn't have grey goggles. The backpack however,  is my biggest gripe so far. Hopefully its only mis-transformed.

If either of those illustrations were the basis for this sculpt, I understand the head even less.

7 hours ago, jenius said:

I appreciate a beefier take on battroid but I gotta imagine people here are going to be howling when we see good fighter mode shots... Most modern toys prioritize fighter mode resulting in a more svelte battroid but it looks like three zero is prioritizing battroid which means fighter is going to look thick.

If the tradeoff is really going to be that significant, then this shouldn't have been a transforming model.

I can't get over the head. It's rounded where it should be angular, making it bulbous and causing the camera to look way too small since it now has a huge forehead instead of no forehead. (the curve makes the head go up from the glass instead of back from the glass)

I don't understand how they got to where they did, unless their goal was to "fix" the 1J head by making it more anthropomorphic. The curved design gives it more volume and makes it vaguely plausible as a helmet, like the 1S head. But I can't imagine there's many people that want a 1J that DOESN'T have a wedge for a head.

1 hour ago, JB0 said:

I can't get over the head. It's rounded where it should be angular, making it bulbous and causing the camera to look way too small since it now has a huge forehead instead of no forehead. (the curve makes the head go up from the glass instead of back from the glass)

I don't understand how they got to where they did, unless their goal was to "fix" the 1J head by making it more anthropomorphic. The curved design gives it more volume and makes it vaguely plausible as a helmet, like the 1S head. But I can't imagine there's many people that want a 1J that DOESN'T have a wedge for a head.

Also looks short.

Maybe will be fixed on final version, but still odd how they engineers got it wrong off the bat,

2 hours ago, Raikkonen said:

They only have the license to brand it as Robotech, right?

Yes....however, being licensed by HG has yet to stop any company from adding Japanese SDF Macross logos to their packaging if they so desire....

What would actually be more surprising would be to see BW actually provide a SDFM license to a non-Japanese  company doing business with HG....as far as I know it would be a first

Edited by jvmacross

6 hours ago, jvmacross said:

Yes....however, being licensed by HG has yet to stop any company from adding Japanese SDF Macross logos to their packaging if they so desire....

What would actually be more surprising would be to see BW actually provide a SDFM license to a non-Japanese  company doing business with HG....as far as I know it would be a first

HG has merchandise rights for SDF outside Japan, if I recall correctly. 

On 7/2/2023 at 5:11 AM, MKT said:

Yeahh that ankle flap piece will greatly complement the outward hip joint pioneered by the Chogokin.
The legs on other hand doesn't appear to be as long as the other VF-1 toys, making it look wee bit stockier. Perhaps it's a Threezero thing as its also something we see on their Voltron too. Interested to see more Fighter pics to gauge how much of it is affected by the shorter legs.

Not only the legs are short, the thruster feet look considerably smaller in certain shots. 

On 7/2/2023 at 9:34 AM, twich said:

Never have gotten anything from ThreeZero, but their scupt looks pretty good.  I like Kitzconcept, but the toys with fast packs are as much as Arcadia 1/60 scale VF-1's.  Looks like it may have an articulated air brake.  I wonder if the nose cone coming off is for a GBP set that they might release, or is it a Radar array gimmick under the radome?

Twich

The nosecone does have quite a open seam, which might indicate to it being removable. 

I find interesting the elbow joints. 

Overall I like so far asides some proportions, and ThreeZero does pride itself in quality, so might be a winner. 

12 hours ago, JB0 said:

HG has merchandise rights for SDF outside Japan, if I recall correctly. 

Correct...but the OP was wondering if their might be a Japan-only release for this figure...

If so, it would be a first as far as I know....BW seems to not grant licenses as freely as HG, especially, it seems, from companies that do business with HG....but maybe things may have changed?

It looks nice imo and I might buy them if they use diecast parts like the old 1/55 ones.  tbh I was somewhat disappointed with my Threezero Voltron, to be fair it looks great! but its too light and has very little weight compared to my Bandai SOC Voltron.  TZ makes almost fully high metal versions of all kinds of transformers! but they really skimped out on Voltron. I've noticed others online have complained about KC valks being to light and feeling fragile, well that's how I feel Threezero. when the Bandai Voltron of the same scale and hight weighs twice the weight as much because Voltron is suppose to be a high metal toy as a VF-1 toy should be too imo.:)

On 7/11/2023 at 12:13 PM, Chronocidal said:

I'd be really interested to see them display the other modes. :p 

Seriously. Threezero has had those stand in marketing photos since day one.

The unpainted prototype was shown in fighter mode, though. Not sure if we have seen a physical prototype in guardian/gerwalk.

On 7/12/2023 at 10:24 PM, technoblue said:

Seriously. Threezero has had those stand in marketing photos since day one.

The unpainted prototype was shown in fighter mode, though. Not sure if we have seen a physical prototype in guardian/gerwalk.

Think this is about as close as we've gotten…..

image.jpeg.6c82f7fe99ec2412fe543b3ce39f9e84.jpeg

On 7/14/2023 at 6:32 PM, mantisfists said:

Think this is about as close as we've gotten…..

image.jpeg.6c82f7fe99ec2412fe543b3ce39f9e84.jpeg

I'm still not convinced by the small thruster feet. The missiles also look scaled down. Otherwise its not too bad so far

48 minutes ago, DewPoint said:

The tab location concerns me.  Reminds me of KC.  :nea:

image.jpeg.6c82f7fe99ec2412fe543b3ce39f9e84.jpeg.93a54af64530bcdb9bcf9dc1a3928146.jpeg

It does...but ultimately both the leg tab's position and the slot on the backpak where it slides in work together to determine the profile in fighter mode

40 minutes ago, sjoebarry said:

Sorry I’m not too bright. Is this available for pre order yet?

Not yet...hopefully very soon