Bandai 1/60 DX Chogokin Macross Plus YF-21

Berkut

36 minutes ago, Big s said:

Maybe not standing straight, but possibly in an action pose. I think the stand will definitely help though and may be a necessity 

I think it's been pretty clear for a few years that Bandai doesn't even consider displaying these things without a stand as a viable option.

I think it looks better. Also  Not sure if this has been brought up but they really need to add that v notch in the front of the grey canopy like in the line art and as seen on the Yamato. The rounded front canopy makes the the nose look soft and doughy. The v notch is a design feature that’s all over the plane.  I don’t understand what they would round it off. 

IMG_1750.jpeg

2 hours ago, kloopit said:

I think it looks better. Also  Not sure if this has been brought up but they really need to add that v notch in the front of the grey canopy like in the line art and as seen on the Yamato. The rounded front canopy makes the the nose look soft and doughy. The v notch is a design feature that’s all over the plane.  I don’t understand what they would round it off. 

IMG_1750.jpeg

Because Bandai knows better than our lying eyes what Kawamori intended with his lineart. :p 

Edited by Chronocidal

4 hours ago, David Hingtgen said:

It's there, they just didn't paint it to match the molded-in detail.  Look carefully at the blue plastic, right in front of the grey tip of the canopy...

Yeah I guess. 🫤 Thats like drawing where the the seams would be on the hood of a car but then they don’t open from there.  Makes no sense. 

whatever i’ll still be buying it but seems like they went out of their way to make it wrong. It’s not even part of the complex transforming stuff  But it’s right on the front of the plane, looking all doughy. 

Edited by kloopit

15 hours ago, snakerbot said:

Holy backpack, Batman.

Hm... I was looking at some of the earlier pictures, and the space between the backpack and the rest of the body didn't look that egregious. Also, it would help if a ton of the die-cast were packed into the legs to lower the center of gravity. For what it's worth, it'd be super disapponting if it couldn't stand by itself. I'd say that it's pretty much the only thing I want it to do better than the Yammie.

in my hopium fueled wait for this to lead to gamlin's vf-22, i just saw footage of the macross 30 game where milia's unit had fast pack on with external guns. i thought the 22 had internal guns stored by animation magic. now im confused. someone pls explain. lazy game assets or it has fast packs anyway?

while im at it, how likely does it look like there will be a dx 22 atm? i just prefer the black scheme and visor face over the camera head and ever growing roster of 50 shades of blue dx valks. if its a stupid endeavor to wait for it, i'll try to like the 21 more and consider hopping on this lukewarm hype train lol. tbh, its not my kind of design, but its growing on me for dual weilding and being so mechanically different from other valks.

6 hours ago, Actar said:

For what it's worth, it looks like the backpack hasn't been collapsed all the way.

Backpack.jpg.42f29749016da397ad89b31052e16c9a.jpg

Also, the recent display models seem to have the backpack positioned higher up than the earlier prototypes. Was it redesigned?

image.png.e79d8f917abc8b346debeee939acd626(1).png.8fac41522eb0c358620b2963c9d0388f.png

Your first photograph shows a stage of the transformation. The backpack has to be lowered a little to its final position, which is the one in the second photo. And you're right, there was a modification in the way and position in which the backpack collapses between the first prototypes and the last ones.

I'm planning to make some comparisons between all the things that have changed, which are many, I just haven't found the time to put together all the material I've collected.

Any educated guesses on when this will get released? Does anybody have any memory of Bandai teasing something else at shows for 4 years? I do realize that covid might have played a part but we're past that for the most part and here's the prototype staring at us again. I'm an old fan of Macross but I only started collecting the toys 5 years ago, so I haven't really seen the trends.

Edited by rematron

1 hour ago, rematron said:

Any educated guesses on when this will get released? Does anybody have any memory of Bandai teasing something else at shows for 4 years? I do realize that covid might have played a part but we're past that for the most part and here's the prototype staring at us again. I'm an old fan of Macross but I only started collecting the toys 5 years ago, so I haven't really seen the trends.

seeing it was given a release date for spring/late spring id assume a PO during the winter. it seems the gears have finally started rolling again after covid at least.... generally its a year to two before a PO goes up for something that's shown off ( if its not shelved and never mentioned again )

On 11/20/2023 at 6:15 AM, snakerbot said:

Holy backpack, Batman.

Wait for the renewal or even revival. Will just have to continue to be content with my Yamato 21 in fighter in the meantime.

...still have nightmares trying desperately to unload the ver. 1 VF-25s I bought years ago :fool:

Edited by m0n5t3r

On 11/19/2023 at 6:31 AM, Froy said:

Preorder cancelled they got belly fast packs wrong/diferent

Screenshot_20231119-0812212.png.a3d93639b0051d5d9aaf9cbb97714362.png

images(5).jpeg.6892723f9cc313386b45873b0e4b2903.jpeg

I believe the Fast Packs is just a sample of Bandai’s after-thought. The way, the belly plate were designed, I really don’t think it can be angled like the lineart due to how it will hit the backpack in Battroid mode. And seeing how long the Fast Pack is than the belly plate where it attached to, I don’t think it will look good in Battroid mode. Hence, Bandai’s after-thought thinking. :unsure:

On 11/19/2023 at 2:54 PM, Paco Grande said:

I think this figure looks fine overall but the balance is concerning for sure. I’m assuming it cannot stand without the stand helping? The legs look really far forward compared to the backpack so it doesn’t look physically possible for it to stand on its own. I love the YF-19 jet mode so I was planning to display this in jet mode with it anyway, but it would be nice if it could stand up without a stand. 

With the prices going on for these figures, I think it’s just safe to use the included stand all the time. Esp, how the feet transforms, I’m not going to trust Bandai’s engineering here. Use the stand, people. ;) 

On 11/19/2023 at 3:06 PM, Big s said:

Maybe not standing straight, but possibly in an action pose. I think the stand will definitely help though and may be a necessity 

Even in action pose, I rather use it with a stand. :good: 

On 11/19/2023 at 3:43 PM, Chronocidal said:

I think it's been pretty clear for a few years that Bandai doesn't even consider displaying these things without a stand as a viable option.

Amen. 🙏

On 11/19/2023 at 5:12 PM, kloopit said:

IMG_1750.jpeg

With all the big changes they already did, I’m really not going to worry about some notches at this point. I’m pretty sure all the changes were approved by Kawamori himself. :rolleyes:

10 hours ago, Actar said:

For what it's worth, it looks like the backpack hasn't been collapsed all the way.

Backpack.jpg.42f29749016da397ad89b31052e16c9a.jpg

Also, the recent display models seem to have the backpack positioned higher up than the earlier prototypes. Was it redesigned?

image.png.e79d8f917abc8b346debeee939acd626(1).png.8fac41522eb0c358620b2963c9d0388f.png

This was addressed in the HJweb testshot article where the backpack has that 2 embossed circle on the metal bridge that serves as a locking mechanism where the lower one is for Fighter/Gerwalk, and the upper one for Battroid. So the first 2 photos you inserted are correct. It’s showing the locking tabs sequence.

IMG_0223.jpeg.caf9f4ac0ec8850af4f397aa344ceaf8.jpeg

A VF-22 from this mold is a brainless repaint honestly, it needs a grand total of like three new parts.  One if they get lazy.  Mostly will come down to if they feel like devoting the effort to the production line.

Given how good the Yamato M&M VF-22s were at shelf insulation for years, I'm not expecting them to try it.  It'd be a webshop exclusive, if anything.

On 11/17/2023 at 10:22 AM, rematron said:

Thanks for the video, @Froy. Some more stills for comparison:

IMG_2508.jpeg

IMG_2507.jpeg

IMG_2506.jpeg

IMG_2512.jpeg.1411a5bd28f26165e0e80ae2afb882e2.jpeg

It does seem like the nose was extended... or is that an optical illusion due to the paint?  Either way, I'm excited for this release.  Chonky AF but I don't mind.

9 hours ago, Mog said:

Maybe they can make the legs skinnier and then incorporate the internal gunpods gimmick. :diablo:

i think they just need an even bulkier belly plate that wraps over the space of the shown fast pack with guns attatched. 🙃

i assume the last piece they cant skip if lazy would just be the face.

counting on bandai to release something out of ease of retooling or simply recoloring is umm... if theres history of the design not selling great, i'll have to lower my hopes for gamlin's 22