Bandai 1/60 DX Chogokin Macross Plus YF-21

Berkut

I think our eyes are just getting older. :spiteful:  I believe it's still the same. We just got used on the prototype pics for days and now we're seeing the painted model with less clear canopy making the nosecone looks longer visually.

We see what the mind want us to see. :rolleyes:

Agreed.  And it's amazing what a different kind of camera lens will do in combination with approach and composition.  It makes the front look longer and the back look shorter just like most of Bandai product and packaging shots go for.  I'm liking it, though.  Can't wait to get it in my hands and on my shelf.  Really looking forward to landing gear that won't collapse with the slightest nudge.

Edited by rematron

3 hours ago, MKT said:

The Fast Pack looking as thick as it does, and with the grey contrast actually gives the illusion that the bare YF-21 underbelly is appropriately slim. It like how some cars have dark-colored skirtings or bumper lips contrasting with the body colour to make it look lower or slimmer. I suspect this YF-21 Fighter looks better with its Fast Pack than without, because without it will expose more of the blue underbelly and we'll see more penguins. :p

To enhance more that slim illusion, you have to display it against a grey background too, @MKT:rolleyes:

28 minutes ago, rematron said:

Agreed.  And it's amazing what a different kind of camera lens will do in combination with approach and composition.  It makes the front look longer and the back look shorter just like most of Bandai product and packaging shots go for.  I'm liking it, though.  Can't wait to get it in my hands and on my shelf.  Really looking forward to landing gear that won't collapse with the slightest nudge.

Oh, you know. No matter what we say about this figure, like it or hate it, everyone here will still end up owning one. :spiteful:

Edited by no3Ljm

On 11/15/2023 at 9:28 PM, seti88 said:

Next summer means pre-orders soon-ish?

Hmmm fighter mode certainly has slimmed down....battroid...hmmm...

i think the biceps should look bigger...💪 and not 🦾 

I think the bicep shape is largely a product of their ugly double elbow joint. While I welcome increased articulation, I wish it had been done more visually appealing, even if the second joint had to extend out of the bicep. nevertheless, I'm in for a copy when they go up for PO. Visual warts aside, I hope it's at least a solid and durable toy.

I agree that the fighter needs to go on a diet even though some of the pics are giving a better idea of the form. The tail-end of the fuselage seems massive in the newer pics. In the end, I'll probably pull the trigger on this one anyways...

22 hours ago, rematron said:

That's not a guarantee.  I have a Bandai 19 with a gear that does that.

1 hour ago, IIymij said:

Return of the bad photoshoper, camera angle is slightly different....

looks like extra spacing near the front nose / sensor

rear rectangle thrusters look shorter?

image.png.e2a5a3d5359705ea3bb2018da153c8a2.png

I really think they definitely change something :D ,   there are several details in the nose cone too that appeared more flatten than the older pictures, with the new images it reassembles alot more now to the 1/60 Yamato YF 21 and that's a good thing in my opinion, the first time I saw the early images first thing it come to my mind was the 1/72 chunky design.

Special thanks to @jenius  anymoon.com for this images, awesome website for Macross fans :D   

1/60 vs 1/72

image.png.201012e986a93f8de300d2b989ed67c9.png

1/72  vs anime

image.png.ff8a3be1f9d18c9ae00abe93d237f6e9.png

Edited by Alex GS

1 hour ago, IIymij said:

Return of the bad photoshoper, camera angle is slightly different....

looks like extra spacing near the front nose / sensor

rear rectangle thrusters look shorter?

image.png.e2a5a3d5359705ea3bb2018da153c8a2.png

You have to keep in mind that different types of lenses were used to take each of these photos you put together. Enlarging the front and shrinking the back is a common effect. Look at any of your Bandai Valkyrie packaging and you’ll see it. 

IMG_2513.jpeg.8670d5b90ad03e3f657d669eb175692a.jpeg

1 hour ago, rematron said:

You have to keep in mind that different types of lenses were used to take each of these photos you put together. Enlarging the front and shrinking the back is a common effect. Look at any of your Bandai Valkyrie packaging and you’ll see it. 

IMG_2513.jpeg.8670d5b90ad03e3f657d669eb175692a.jpeg

Thank you for posting that. This is a well known issue in toy forums. Pictures of a figure show up. Everyone freaks out about the proportions. Then they eventually get it in hand and it looks great. This happens all the time but many people still freak out anyway. 

I’m sure this figure is not perfect, but it will look much better in hand. 

It does look like the actual canopy was tweaked since its debut in October 2019.  Particularly the front part of the grey obscured ‘window’ area as well as the two profile clear windows on either side. 

2019:

IMG_2521.jpeg.e0ceea8d0062fd4be493912e5b62c482.jpegIMG_2524.png.b2440da694936cc93fe712d4d7800af9.png

2023:

IMG_2526.jpeg.fc9dd3018b6e3ce2b01b30726ce3babb.jpegIMG_2525.jpeg.00dd75a0323ea7fa491ca732c564f312.jpeg

Edited by rematron

34 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Yeah, it does look like they've at least slightly addressed how ugly the canopy was at first, though keep in mind that the angle viewing the nose will alter that significantly, and it's going to look better from the top down than bottom up.

Yup, you’re absolutely right. I cropped and oriented the 2023 fighter photo to better match the 2019 battroid photo and the differences are a lot more subtle than I thought in my post. I can’t stop staring at this toy. Really looking forward to it.  Time for me to give it a rest. 😅

IMG_2521.jpeg.47239df654f2bf6271ac5e9b90ea8fdb.jpeg

2023:

IMG_2528.png.48cd4d23033771ddf5457a0666803e0f.png

6 hours ago, rematron said:

Yup, you’re absolutely right. I cropped and oriented the 2023 fighter photo to better match the 2019 battroid photo and the differences are a lot more subtle than I thought in my post. I can’t stop staring at this toy. Really looking forward to it.  Time for me to give it a rest. 😅

IMG_2521.jpeg.47239df654f2bf6271ac5e9b90ea8fdb.jpeg

2023:

IMG_2528.png.48cd4d23033771ddf5457a0666803e0f.png

Thanks for the close-up, it does show a couple of differences between them.  The front edge of the canopy does look a little different, and the details surrounding the edge are different now, so I think the canopy has changed quite a bit from the original.  They also added the cutout at the back to open it with a fingernail.

5 hours ago, sh9000 said:

I hope the Japanese stores don't make their limit to 1 because I'd rather buy and ship 2 together from the same store.

Even if they are being imported now, I would still much rather buy them directly from Japan, and avoid the Bandai foreign export inflation that happens.  Even ordering two from separate Japanese stores would probably wind up being less than two from a single store in the US.

And I'd much rather have a chance of even ordering one to begin with, rather than see every site sell out in less than a second. <_< 

Edited by Chronocidal

On 11/18/2023 at 7:48 AM, Big s said:

I check in on this thread after a few days and now people are fat shaming the YF-21

But but.. Yammie YF-21 looks positively anorexic by comparison :p

YF-21FighterFlightv2.0.1EditDNRM2-b2v1_1nt.jpg.86bb8cd39f1be02e71eecde1a0872323.jpg

Edit: The camera lens talk make me realize how phone cameras have such distorted lenses. The front end of this YF-21 now looks comically large lol

Edited by MKT

It's a bit funny that the Yf-21's DX proportions somehow make it read even more as a variable Queadluun-Rau to me than before. The huge frakk off Backpack, the luscious legs, a torso larger than the lineart accurate pinprick. It may not be strictly accurate but I like it a lot!

Yeah, those fast packs are definitely getting left off, but finally... this is the angle I've been wanting to see the entire time.

ss(2023-11-18at11_58.43).jpg.9577daa2d029946b8ea5194ee21dccb3.jpg

Tails definitely need to be a little farther back to be effective as rudders, but I guess when you've got engines that vector, it's less of an issue?  Still looks unbalanced, but the front end isn't as much of a problem with a better perspective.

I think this figure looks fine overall but the balance is concerning for sure. I’m assuming it cannot stand without the stand helping? The legs look really far forward compared to the backpack so it doesn’t look physically possible for it to stand on its own. I love the YF-19 jet mode so I was planning to display this in jet mode with it anyway, but it would be nice if it could stand up without a stand. 

11 minutes ago, Paco Grande said:

I think this figure looks fine overall but the balance is concerning for sure. I’m assuming it cannot stand without the stand helping? The legs look really far forward compared to the backpack so it doesn’t look physically possible for it to stand on its own. I love the YF-19 jet mode so I was planning to display this in jet mode with it anyway, but it would be nice if it could stand up without a stand. 

Maybe not standing straight, but possibly in an action pose. I think the stand will definitely help though and may be a necessity