Jump to content

Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1


IXTL

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, jvmacross said:

large.20190131_175855.jpg.95a0a35600dd1c

large.DX1JCEL1J.jpg.cff4f98adf01b9b667b2

So...

Life imitates Art.

:drinks:

29 minutes ago, sh9000 said:

Nice pose.

5667A200-7BB5-4AF1-8887-BC75259AD4C5.thumb.jpeg.ac49d35ef44d2ddfd6dba5d028029520.jpeg

I’d love to see this one recreated.

Pretty soon, sir. Bandai just need to release the other two Valks. ;)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Mechapilot77 said:

does anyone have a feeling the dx chogokin vf-1 series is either a passion project or a strategic move?

looking at this thing in hand, there is no way this can be more profitable than their normal dx chogokin valkyries.  everything about it screams "this cost more to make than a vf-31".  sure the design is simpler, but design is a "one time" cost and not a running cost.  yet they release this thing at an msrp of less than  a typical dx chogokin.  delta was super popular (at least in japan is my impressin) so they coul djust keep cranking those variants out for years and nobody would have blinked if they never made these.  perhaps bandai just saw an opportunity to supplant arcadia using their economies of scale to produce a bigger better product at a cheaper cost?  sure they will nickel and dime us for the add on parts...but they aren't strictly necessary.

SDFM/DYRL > Delta, the VF-1 has a popularity/nostalgia upper hand.

However new VF-1 releases need to come with significant differentiating factors, in light of many VF-1 releases by everyone.... 
In this case the tampo, improved robustness, larger scale and pricing are the winds in the sails of the VF-1 chogokin...not to mention the overall positive fan-dom acceptance...

Strategically, yes, i think bandai was somehow trying to get the piece of the after market VF-1 pricing pie.
That being said, am glad they put in some innovation (sculpt,design,articulation, pricing) in their offering enough to overcome risks of VF-1 demand saturation.

I certainly hope bandai will continue to crank out vermillion squadron........

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, seti88 said:

SDFM/DYRL > Delta, the VF-1 has a popularity/nostalgia upper hand.

However new VF-1 releases need to come with significant differentiating factors, in light of many VF-1 releases by everyone.... 
In this case the tampo, improved robustness, larger scale and pricing are the winds in the sails of the VF-1 chogokin...not to mention the overall positive fan-dom acceptance...

Strategically, yes, i think bandai was somehow trying to get the piece of the after market VF-1 pricing pie.
That being said, am glad they put in some innovation (sculpt,design,articulation, pricing) in their offering enough to overcome risks of VF-1 demand saturation.

I certainly hope bandai will continue to crank out vermillion squadron........

 

 

 

 

this is just my 2 cents, but from a business standpoint, it might make more sense to crank out the VF-1S first (which is a guaranteed high volume seller) to recoup as much of the development costs as possible early on.  That will also give Bandai a sense of how well this thing might sell under other paint schemes.  Once we get there, they may do TWE releases of the vermillion squadron (Max 1A, Kakizaki 1A) and hopefully, fingers crossed, the 1D at some point.  Personally I am not too keen on the DYRL variants and I hope they will give more priority to the TV variants (Alaska base, please?) in this line.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, canklebreaker said:

If anyone has a spare and is willing to part at a reasonable price, please let me know. Or any leads would be appreciated.

Does anyone know if these are available at brick and mortar shops in Japan?

Manda has the listing of the DX VF-1J sold out for now as proxies are now another option. As for other places in Japan, good luck in finding one as it might be sold out after release day.  

1 hour ago, rdrunner said:

this is just my 2 cents, but from a business standpoint, it might make more sense to crank out the VF-1S first (which is a guaranteed high volume seller) to recoup as much of the development costs as possible early on.  That will also give Bandai a sense of how well this thing might sell under other paint schemes.  Once we get there, they may do TWE releases of the vermillion squadron (Max 1A, Kakizaki 1A) and hopefully, fingers crossed, the 1D at some point.  Personally I am not too keen on the DYRL variants and I hope they will give more priority to the TV variants (Alaska base, please?) in this line.

I think that Hikaru's Strike will be the first one then Roy's Strike a few months later based on the HMR release. I could be wrong and say that Roy's will be first and then Hikaru's.

The M&M, Kakizali, Hikaru's 1a, 1D, and others will follow.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, rdrunner said:

this is just my 2 cents, but from a business standpoint, it might make more sense to crank out the VF-1S first (which is a guaranteed high volume seller) to recoup as much of the development costs as possible early on.  That will also give Bandai a sense of how well this thing might sell under other paint schemes.  Once we get there, they may do TWE releases of the vermillion squadron (Max 1A, Kakizaki 1A) and hopefully, fingers crossed, the 1D at some point.  Personally I am not too keen on the DYRL variants and I hope they will give more priority to the TV variants (Alaska base, please?) in this line.

I think that the VF-1S may be a one-and-done for some people. The longer Bandai waits to release the VF-1S the more those potential buyers resolve will be worn away. Then when the VF-1S comes out they'll still end up getting it since it is the one they wanted in the first place. I think a VF-1A would be a good candidate for the next one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Matt Random said:

I think that the VF-1S may be a one-and-done for some people. The longer Bandai waits to release the VF-1S the more those potential buyers resolve will be worn away. Then when the VF-1S comes out they'll still end up getting it since it is the one they wanted in the first place. I think a VF-1A would be a good candidate for the next one.

Bandai doesn't get a cent from these secondary market sales. If Bandai does a reissue, it would lend credence to your point but also lower the price.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, MikeRoz said:

Bandai doesn't get a cent from these secondary market sales. If Bandai does a reissue, it would lend credence to your point but also lower the price.

I'm not talking about secondary market at all. I'm talking about the people who are thinking "I'll just get the VF-1S and be done". By pushing the VF-1S down the release order those folks are more likely to finally give in and buy whatever Bandai puts up at the time. Then they'll end up double dipping once that VF-1S comes out. The VF-1S is not a matter of if, but when. The question is will one-and-done crowd be able to wait or will they succumb early.

I would have been one-and-done with a VF-1S if it came out first, but there was no way I could have waited. If I had passed on the VF-1J and the VF-1S didn't turn out being next I'd get whatever ended up being #2 since any resolve I had would surely be gone by then given the reviews this has gotten. I'm trying to just keep myself to the VF-1J, but I may very well cave once the VF-1S does come out. And I may end up falling for everything else between now and then.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Matt Random said:

By pushing the VF-1S down the release order those folks are more likely to finally give in and buy whatever Bandai puts up at the time. Then they'll end up double dipping once that VF-1S comes out. The VF-1S is not a matter of if, but when. The question is will one-and-done crowd be able to wait or will they succumb early.

While I hope you're wrong, this makes complete sense. I think Bandai has been using this strategy for HMR for a while now, like for a certain Tomahawk. The VF-1S is the DX that I really want, though I'm hoping it's a TV version. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got my DX VF-1J and this is the toy I always wanted. It is so pretty!. Almost no need for mods, but I had to add some detail to the gun and laser cannons as someone already did. Anybody already detailed the cockpit? I've always been a fan of a good cockpit for the VF-1. Here is mine and looks great. I will try gerwalk mode next.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks awesome painted up, though it makes the complete lack of detail in the cockpit that much more painful on the standard release. :lol:

Only quibble I have is that you should rip out the stock stick, and replace it with something that's not as big around as Hikaru's thigh.  That stick is just unbelievably chunky.

Edited by Chronocidal
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, takatoys said:

Got my DX VF-1J and this is the toy I always wanted. It is so pretty!. Almost no need for mods, but I had to add some detail to the gun and laser cannons as someone already did. Anybody already detailed the cockpit? I've always been a fan of a good cockpit for the VF-1. Here is mine and looks great. I will try gerwalk mode next.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Love the added color details. :wub:

How come it's not in Battroid mode? The transformation lever is set to B. ^_^

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, takatoys said:

Got my DX VF-1J and this is the toy I always wanted. It is so pretty!. Almost no need for mods, but I had to add some detail to the gun and laser cannons as someone already did. Anybody already detailed the cockpit? I've always been a fan of a good cockpit for the VF-1. Here is mine and looks great. I will try gerwalk mode next.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Okay that is goddamn amazing! That's what I wish Bandai had given us over wing flaps and waist swivel! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, takatoys said:

Got my DX VF-1J and this is the toy I always wanted. It is so pretty!. Almost no need for mods, but I had to add some detail to the gun and laser cannons as someone already did. Anybody already detailed the cockpit? I've always been a fan of a good cockpit for the VF-1. Here is mine and looks great. I will try gerwalk mode next.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Incredible.  Really makes it stand out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0 said:

I expect to see a Hikaru VF-1A, Hikaru Strike VF-1S and TV Focker  Special at the very least before the end of this year.

@takatoys are you going to make stickers for sale?

Before the end of this year?? That would be truly surprising as a second release hasn't been teased yet and Bandai seems to make such announcements like six months in advance. I definitely hope you're right!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, jenius said:

Before the end of this year?? That would be truly surprising as a second release hasn't been teased yet and Bandai seems to make such announcements like six months in advance. I definitely hope you're right!

I forgot the 6 months in advance but this year is the 35th anniversary of DYRL so I expect more releases than not

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0 said:

@takatoys are you going to make stickers for sale?

Custom stickers for toys are a thing of the past. Toys have improved considerably and now Arcadia and Bandai use tampo markings as standard. I'm glad Bandai has added tons of markings for the DX, more than Arcadia. It looks very nice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/1/2019 at 3:10 AM, Mechapilot77 said:

does anyone have a feeling the dx chogokin vf-1 series is either a passion project or a strategic move?

looking at this thing in hand, there is no way this can be more profitable than their normal dx chogokin valkyries.  everything about it screams "this cost more to make than a vf-31".  sure the design is simpler, but design is a "one time" cost and not a running cost.  yet they release this thing at an msrp of less than  a typical dx chogokin.  delta was super popular (at least in japan is my impressin) so they coul djust keep cranking those variants out for years and nobody would have blinked if they never made these.  perhaps bandai just saw an opportunity to supplant arcadia using their economies of scale to produce a bigger better product at a cheaper cost?  sure they will nickel and dime us for the add on parts...but they aren't strictly necessary.

Passion project, the dude in charge of DX Chogokin right now at Bandai is a super old school fan who's always trying to sneak through the stuff he personally wants.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Hikaru1234567890 said:

So I decided to follow takas example of a more detailed cockpit, and I really think it looks amazing! Also Taka, where did you get that HUD decal?

 

The HUD decal was part of one of my first custom stickers for the Yamato 1/48 toy. Those are long sold out, I'm no longer making stickers. I was lucky to keep one that had that display sticker.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Update on my order from JPfigures . Com. I sent 2 emails with no response so i did a claim on paypal and got a email from paypal today saying they ruled in my favor since they got no response from jpfigs and will get my money refunded. I posted on blacklist thread so yeah stay away from them.  Sucks i didnt get my dx :/. Guess all i can do is wait for a reissue, havent had no luck finding a seller from amazonjp to ship to US, not gonna pay no more than 250 bucks for one..........

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/4/2019 at 9:47 AM, ralliart209 said:

Guess all i can do is wait for a reissue, havent had no luck finding a seller from amazonjp to ship to US, not gonna pay no more than 250 bucks for one..........

To be honest, I don't think you can find one right now shipped to you for $250. The latest one sold at Yahoo Japan Auction is Y28500. And you're right, if you really don't want to spend more than $250, the best option obviously is to wait for a reissue.

 

Edit: Sorry @Vortech. My bad. I misread your 31J to 1J. Removed your F/S thread link. Sorry again.

 

Edited by no3Ljm
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Ridden001 said:

Does anyone know if the YF-19 missiles fit the DX VF-1?  I have my 19 in storage and was wondering if anyone knew before I went in and got it out.

It ought to, my VF-171 stores fit. They most likely won't hold on all that well though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sanity is Optional said:

It ought to, my VF-171 stores fit. They most likely won't hold on all that well though.

Really? Given the difference in scales (1/60 for the YF-19, 1/48 for the VF-1J)., I would have thought the hard points might not match

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

Really? Given the difference in scales (1/60 for the YF-19, 1/48 for the VF-1J)., I would have thought the hard points might not match

I can put up pictures later, I have the (ridiculously oversized) Reaction Missiles from the 171 on my VF-1J. Where they still look oversized.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...